• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sony wants people to buy PS4s to play Fortnite. Why would they allow crossplay with a console that is a direct competitor?

The dynamic needs to be a ~ 50/50 userbase split between Playstation/Xbox users for crossplay to benefit both companies.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Cross-play only helps Xbox sell systems in the 3/4's of the globe where the platform has little to no presence. Somny will allow cross-play when Xbox becomes a 3rd party publisher. Which I fully expect to happen before the end of next gen.

As important for Sony, I've never encountered a single person in the PlayStation community eager for cross-play. The bigger PS4 marketshare the greater the investment in it's ecosystem from 1st and 3rd party. It's really that simple.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
How's is it good for their consumers when they can't play with their friends on competing platforms. Just sounds like it would be good for their profits but not consumers in general.
What's good for their market position is good for the consumer. It means a better stance for getting exclusives, and exclusive deals with comarketing, and more money for next-gen R&D, and console production budgets, and game development budgets, etc.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
How's is it good for their consumers when they can't play with their friends on competing platforms. Just sounds like it would be good for their profits but not consumers in general.

You have to remember that PS4 has more than double the sales of Xbox One. It's not bad for the PS4 players, it's bad for the Xbox players since they are the ones more likelly to be left out.

Oct 30, 2017
Sony doesn't care, unfortunately. I guess I can understand, it benefits the competitor more to access their bigger pool of a user base than it does them.

If people are really all up in arms about anti-consumerism, why don't more people ask MS why Sony lets you play Fortnite Battle Royal without the need of Plus but MS doesn't with Live?

Cause it doesn't shape the specific narrative.

Last edited:

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My problem is when I think about my boy who is 8.

He LOVES Fortnite (as well as Minecraft & ROBLOX).

He plays on Xbox and will 100% play this on mobile also when it's out.

I love it now his progression, stats and accounts will carry over across everything. They are important to him and he doesn't have to split them amongst platforms.

Now here is the really shit bit. All the kids at school also play, Xbox, PS, and some PC. They will play all on mobile at times too as will a huge amount of new kids who don't have a console.

So sometimes he'll be able to play with his friends, sometimes he won't. So if he wants to play on the his favourite platform he can't play with everyone so he will have to play on mobile or not play with one set of friends.

What will end up happening is friends who have ps and Xbox won't play on either to play together and will use their parents phones or iPads instead as it will be too complicated to work out who is on what and if they are on mobile and some on consoles they will have to decide one group on which platform to drop for the session.
Wow. First world problems.
But seriously, your kid will be fine.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
PSN won't lose sales, but they could gain less sales by allowing cross play. No need to get a PS4 anymore if there is cross play.
There's no need to get a PS4 if you already own an Xbox and Fortnite anyway. There's nothing Sony can gain in that sense.

It's not like Xbox has a shortage of players. Fortnite is massive on both consoles. But having a unified player community would be a fantastic thing for all Fortnite players In general.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony doesn't care, unfortunately. I guess I can understand, it benefits the competitor more to access their bigger pool of a user base than it does them.

If people are really all up in arms about anti-consumerism, why don't more people ask MS why Sony lets you play Fortnight Battle Royal without the need of Plus but MS doesn't with Live?

Cause it doesn't shape the specific narrative.
Lol i did not realize this. That makes it a lot more attractive on PS4 (and PC of course).

TRN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Moon
Real sony fans don't want to hear no talk about sharings our community with Xbox/switch Fans

giphy.gif

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
What's good for their market position is good for the consumer. It means a better stance for getting exclusives, and exclusive deals with comarketing, and more money for next-gen R&D, and console production budgets, and game development budgets, etc.
Those aren't good for the consumer at all beyond more the same gate-keeping to ensure the other side has a negative experience while not improving aspects for your own ecosystem. R&D is is the exact same nebulous pit as as their online subscription services go.

It's all corporate hogwash, the consumer doesn't benefit at all from any of this.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I don't give a fuck about corporate advantage, cross play should be a thing already between all consoles I think.

It'll be funny if a Switch version gets announced and features cross play with Xbox.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We really need a new topic everytime? It isn't happening because Sony won't allow it, more news at 11.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the real irony here isn't the 4theplayers stuff, it's how developer friendly Sony wanted to be this gen and now developers want something and they're just like "nah, fuck off"

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sort of thing just doesn't affect most players on any of these platforms so there's no reason to do. Keep mockingly saying "4 the players dur hurr".

Personally all my friends are on PS4. I literally don't know anyone with just an Xbox One. I imagine that's a lot of people's situations considering PS4 and XB1 sales. And I doubt PC is aching for a larger player base either.

VirtuaRacer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My problem is when I think about my boy who is 8.

He LOVES Fortnite (as well as Minecraft & ROBLOX).

Your son will not be able to cross-play on Roblox even if Sony changed their stance, because Microsoft paid to delay the PS4 and PSVR version of the game.

The developer confirmed that Roblox was in production for PS4 after job listings were spotted on their website. We were just waiting for the Xbox timed exlusivity period to expire. Microsoft then went and chucked more money at the devs and the PS4 version vanished.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Wow. First world problems.
But seriously, your kid will be fine.
I didnt say my kid would not be fine.

I said cross play would be so much better for him to play with ALL his buddies.

The kids will do this but by choosing to go on a platform what doesn't have any issues and barriers like PC or Mobile instead.

I was really hoping I got across the real annoyances this brings up.

It's far far far less than no cross play at all but not the best option for all.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I met a guy a few years back who noticed my Destiny shirt and we proceeded to geek out about how much we were enjoying the game. Then as we were about to trade user names, we realised that we played on different platforms. That was the end of what could have been a beautiful friendship.

The only problem I think needs to be solved is how you'd communicate with the player on the other platform. I like using Party chat on PS4 and unless Sony/MS figures out some way to join each other through that then I'm not sure if I'd have a great time without it.

But yeah, nothing has changed and Sony or whoever the market leader is won't agree to cross-play with director competitors. Anti-consumer? Yes, but sadly it's business so I don't see this changing any time soon.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
At this point they should just do it to stem the outrage, even though the benefits for Playstation gamers are rather minuscule. Microsoft and Nintendo have everything to gain here, of course they promote the hell out of this message.
I think the biggest issue with this even remotely getting off the ground is that there isn't much outrage from the majority of PS4 gamers.

Most PS4 gamers simply don't care about cross play to a point where Sony need to do anything about it.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What people fail to realize is that userbase is still a huge differentiating factor between consoles. Sony is on top this gen and gained a massive userbase by making all the right moves while the competition didn't.

And now Microsoft comes knocking for the privilege of tapping into that huge userbase Sony had cultivated, with Phil Spencer carrying a transparent banner of sudden proconsumerism, well I guess I can see why Sony is hesitant. They are running a business after all.

That said, I still think Sony should just open up the floodgates as a goodwill move. Knowing full well that Nintendo and Microsoft will be profiting off that decision and in extension, their own work. Simply because the (faux) outrage shows no sign of dying down anytime soon.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Come on. With that blind logic any action or business policy that leads to higher profits can be construed as being better for the consumer in the long run including predatory loot box practices or even monopolies.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Irrelevant to the conversation. We're talking about how it benefits Sony for people to have to buy their console to play Fortnite with their friends.
No, it's not irrelevant. It's one game our of several already that Microsoft is interested in cross play and Sony isn't. It's just one more game. And it won't be the last. I'm glad that every time we get a thread like this one with countless posts. The more bad press the better

ShadowkillXNA

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What´s the point? They can´t interact anyway. And the player pool is huge on PS4. I don´t see a single valid reason why the average Playstation consumer should care about cross play. It´s an absolute nonissue that get´s blown completely out of proportion for Microsoft marketing purposes.

Hammer meet nail.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
More like would you allow Coca Cola to sell their product at both McDonald's and Burger King. Which they do.

Sorry but this is not accurate either.

Fortnite is on both platforms, they just can't play with each other.

Honestly I don't see this happening any time soon. When you're the market leader, you have little reason to allow this, just like MS were against it last gen.

The only way I see this happening is if XB2 is the market leader next gen and people continue to bug Sony about allowing it.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If Sony aren't doing this, there is a reason. They have decided the cost is higher than the benefit, and presuming they're correct, that is good for their consumers.

Is this what you thought about when Sony refused to allow EA Access on it's platform? That Sony refused it because the cost is higher than the benefit, and so refusing EA Access is good for their consumers?

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
What people fail to realize is that userbase is still a huge differentiating factor between consoles. Sony is on top this gen and gained a massive userbase by making all the right moves while the competition didn't.

And now Microsoft comes knocking for the privilege of tapping into that huge userbase Sony had cultivated, with Phil Spencer carrying a transparent banner of sudden proconsumerism, well I guess I can see why Sony is hesitant. They are running a business after all.

That said, I still think Sony should just open up the floodgates as a goodwill move. Knowing full well that Nintendo and Microsoft will be profiting off that decision and in extension, their own work. Simply because the (faux) outrage shows no sign of dying down anytime soon.
It's gonna get really hard to ignore more and more major games being cross play compatible with PlayStation being the odd one out. And then if other major publishers decide to enable the feature with their major multiplayer series like Call of Duty and Battlefield, it'll make them look even worse.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People keep bringing up userbase but not everyone in a console userbase buys every game. Each game has its own demographic on each console, some are stronger on others, some are pretty equal. PS4 having a big userbase means diddly squat to the overall demographics between systems. Crossplay between consoles would keep smaller games alive longer, and make match making better and quicker.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox have publicly stated their position on cross-play and he's just repeating.
Just because Xbox delivers a lot of what their consumers want, do not make Phil Spencer "a used car sales man".

Maybe with services but i buy a console for games and MS is lacking in that department since 2010.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But there is no gain for Sony with this, they just want that any friend with an Xbox go out and buy a PS4 for play with PS4 players :'D
Yes it's good for Sony too. What was that one game that had like 7 active players. While I do not believe that game was on Xbox, in a similar situation with a multi platform game you keep the game alive with 14 players as opposed to 7

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Userbase and exclusivities is what make ppl choose one console or another.

I don't want Sony to share it's userbase with MS or nintendo tbh. If they all wan't to make a common playground let them be but I don't want sony to join in.

The more ppl that buy a PS4 the better 'cause it will have more 3rd party support.

And if MS+nintendo end having more market combined good for them. But since nintendo isn't on par with the current gen it won't really matter.
Once Nintendo gets on par woth ms and Sony maybe it will all change but right now Sony shouldn't give a hand to the other two.

This makes no sense. We are talking about games that are already on multiple platforms. Forcing people to buy a game for PS4 just to play with PS4 users is going to have the opposite affect of what your saying. Why buy a game that only allows you to play with one user-base when you can buy the same game on another platform and play with all the other platforms. Sony is now at a disadvantage for every cross-platform multiplayer game that releases.

Also what does "Nintendo isn't on par with current gen" even mean? Are you talking about technical specs or their online system? Even though its weaker and the online isnt fully fledged like psn and xbl it isn't really relevant to this topic. We are talking about cross-play between multiple systems. Nintendo allows this and it works just fine so what relevance does "its not on par with current gen" have when it comes to this?

Lastly, allowing Switch owners to play with other systems does not seem to have any negative impact on its console sales. In fact, it is probably helping the system sell even more knowing that you can play games like Minecraft with a ton of other people on different platforms. So your last point makes no sense either.