• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 10, 2018
So you're saying that Sony blocking crossplay with Switch is down to Switch charging for online in the future? I actually haven't heard that theorised before. Does that really make a difference though? Devs have said that Sony won't allow crossplay 'with other consoles'. If the splits in Fortnite are...

PS4/PC/iOS/Android
or
Xbox One/Switch/PC/iOS/Android

do you still think PS4 is the one to recommend? Would you recommend Minecraft on PS4 over the other versions even though the splits there are...

PS4
or
PC/Xbox One/Switch/iOS/Android/Oculus

Surely you can see how Sony continuing to be hardline with other consoles regarding crossplay will start to make the PS4 versions inferior as this becomes more common?

Yes, PS4 is recomendable because vastly bigger player base in Fortnite than any other platform. And also Minecraft has enough big playerbase on PS4. Btw, crossplay with Switch in Minecraft doesn't exist.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes, PS4 is recomendable because vastly bigger player base in Fortnite than any other platform. And also Minecraft has enough big playerbase on PS4. Btw, crossplay with Switch in Minecraft doesn't exist.
And how's the player base on lawbreakers? Spoiler alert : it's terrible. Now imagine if it had cross play...

And it doesn't matter just about the player base in Minecraft. The PS4 version is not being updated anymore. And cross play with Switch is coming. Along with the latest and greatest features. All features that the PS4 version will never get.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of a person buying a PS4 (good for Sony) to play with their friends they can not buy one (bad for Sony) and still play with their friends.

You really think that Sony would really lose new customers if they enabled CP? I mean, if this was the case, why would Sony allow CP with PC and mobile. Those are potential customers, right?? I thought the reason to buy a PS4 was the games. Now it's crossplay that will make or break Sony sales??

We are on page 29 and these defenses are still hollow.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
And how's the player base on lawbreakers? Spoiler alert : it's terrible. Now imagine if it had cross play...

TBF crossplay in Lawbreakers would only give the game about 100 more players... Game is dead on both platforms. There are 5 people playing it on Steam as we speak.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if it had crossplay at launch more people would have felt incentivized to give it a shot rather than seeing nobody playing it. If you paid attention to the early threads on the game many people stayed away because they didn't have enough players to play with.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TBF crossplay in Lawbreakers would only give the game about 100 more players... Game is dead on both platforms. There are 5 people playing it on Steam as we speak.
Haha. I know. And it's a moot point since the game isn't on Xbox but this was an extreme example. For those games that are not as big as Fortnite cp will help Ms, Sony, the deva, players, etc. Instead we'll have online games die much sooner than they might

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Crossplay with Switch Minecraft is coming. You can keep saying that it doesn't exist but it's coming. Should I go into the God of War thread and say "btw, God of War doesn't exist" just because it's not out yet?

When I talk about recommending Minecraft or Fortnite on a particular platform I'm talking as much about the ability for someone to play with their friends as much as I am a 'community'. The community of Minecraft players on PS4 is absolutely fine I'm sure. It's a huge game. But it's also a game that doesn't involve matchmaking multiplayer. It's about joining worlds with other specific players/friends and building with them. If I had a friend who was looking to buy a console for Minecraft so their kid could play with their friends the PS4 would be literally the only platform that I wouldn't recommend, unless all of their friends were on PS4. On the flip side, if the PS4 version supported crossplay with PC/Xbox/iOS/Android/Switch as every other platform does then it would definitely be the one I would recommend over Xbox if it came down to those two. For various reasons. As it stands it's easily the worst version of the second biggest game in the world. The iOS version is better if you want to play with friends. Just think about that!

MrHeisenbird

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Why don't people boycott the game on PS4?

Stop playing the game and putting money into it. People here allegedly understand that Sony is a corporation, so we should know how to speak their language, right?

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Was playing the other day with friends, we had to leave the one Xbox guy out in the cold. Sony better fix their shit.
That's how this is supposed to work from Sony's perspective. Another reason why, if your a one console owner, you go with PS4.

Marginalise the competition, form strategic relationships with others. Happens in all industries, it's why Windows Phone is now dead, while Windows 10/Office are so prevalent.

Sega, Atari, 3DO, PC Engine have all come and gone down the years. PC, IOS and Android aren't going anywhere, so it makes sense to form strategic partnerships.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
seems like an oxymoron, no? Sony is in the business of courting gamers

Not really as I elaborated here.

This is always a tough call because by default a business needs to be concerned about itself the form a symbiotic relationship with customer. Certain things will be allowed and certain things won't.

They have to both court gamers and make sure their endeavors are profitable. I only see them doing this if the benefit can demonstrably outweigh any potential negative. And you don't elaborate on "how" this would court gamers as opposed to being a reason that a gamer doesn't need to invest in the console.

I think there's far more to a console purchase that a consumer makes other than just online games, though. That's definitely not how the Ps4's user base became so huge not only that but it goes both ways for mS and Nintendo yet they're biting so I don't think this is a good excuse either

I am not saying that it is the only reason but it could be a major driving reason. There simply are gamers who may purchase consoles based off that reason alone because depending on interest the XB and the PS4 are equal value propositions. That is why console makers try to make their consoles more attractive on multiple fronts because peoples reasons are varied. You seem to be implying that consumers purchasing habits are uniform. I am pretty sure they are not.

Not disputing your point that crossplay is bad for Sony's business but just wanted to be pedantic about this quoted point. It also allows PS4 players to play with their friends on other consoles, giving them a better experience.

I just keep reading people saying that crossplay will only be good for Xbox/Switch players so why would Sony care. It would also be better for those of us playing on PS4.

Giving them a better experience..... means they already own the console and the game on it. The carrot on the stick isn't for people who already own console and game... it is for the other people, perhaps their friends who may consider buying the PS4 the more they see value in it. in addition to playing with friends who may already own the console.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018

And it doesn't matter just about the player base in Minecraft. The PS4 version is not being updated anymore. And cross play with Switch is coming. Along with the latest and greatest features. All features that the PS4 version will never get.

Lawbreakers is dead game, man. Not becuase crossplay.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Why don't people boycott the game on PS4?

Stop playing the game and putting money into it. People here allegedly understand that Sony is a corporation, so we should know how to speak their language, right?

The first console me and my cousin bought this gen was PS4. Microsoft did a piss poor job and just seemed too interested in their own shit.

Now this gen is over halfway done, I'm not like Sony's policies. So more than likely, PS5 will not be the first console I buy next gen. So like you said I definitely plan on voting with my wallet. Not having EA access or crossplay is just stupid imo.

Lawbreakers is dead game, man. Not becuase crossplay.

I think he's trying to say crossplay would help lesser known/lesser populated games. TF2 had more gamers online on XB1 than PS4, if you combined both populations both platforms would benefit with faster loading times, better match making, closer skill gap, etc. It doesn't matter if XB1 had a larger player base, they would still benefit. Not every game is PUBG or Fortnite. Less known/lesser played titles would benefit.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's how this is supposed to work from Sony's perspective. Another reason why, if your a one console owner, you go with PS4.

That Xbox player could, in fact, own multiple consoles but bought the game on his Xbox. So it's a mischaracterization to say that it's about punishing one-console owners. All Sony has done in that scenario if he's a multi-console owner who bought the game elsewhere is repulsed one of your own customers with your decision. There's been enough examples of posters who have said just that in this thread.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Not really as I elaborated here.

They have to both court gamers and make sure their endeavors are profitable. I only see them doing this if the benefit can demonstrably outweigh any potential negative. And you don't elaborate on "how" this would court gamers as opposed to being a reason that a gamer doesn't need to invest in the console.

I am not saying that it is the only reason but it could be a major driving reason. There simply are gamers who may purchase consoles based off that reason alone because depending on interest the XB and the PS4 are equal value propositions. That is why console makers try to make their consoles more attractive on multiple fronts because peoples reasons are varied. You seem to be implying that consumers purchasing habits are uniform. I am pretty sure they are not.

Giving them a better experience..... means they already own the console and the game on it. The carrot on the stick isn't for people who already own console and game... it is for the other people, perhaps their friends who may consider buying the PS4 the more they see value in it. in addition to playing with friends who may already own the console.
I'm on mobile so I have to shorten this and yeah it's true that console purchases aren't uniform but still fuck that shit I'm a consumer so it does not bother me if Sony will lose potential console sales over cross play. That loss is for a better cause. If gaming in the future for multiplayer games are one online community then that is the way to go

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on mobile so I have to shorten this and yeah it's true that console purchases aren't uniform but still fuck that shit I'm a consumer so it does not bother me if Sony will lose potential console sales over cross play. That loss is for a better cause. If gaming in the future for multiplayer games are one online community then that is the way to go

Again the question is, if this stance of theirs helped allowed their console to have a base of 70 million + and growing. Why would you view this as a negative thing as a PS4 owner. The logic dictates they won't loose sales but in fact gain sales. If this really were an issue wouldn't this be reflected on the sales to date?

Not allowing crossplay has the following effects:

- Some games won't ever release on PS4 at all thanks to it. That's money Sony won't ever, ever see
- The refusal of crossplay literally makes PS4 versions of games extremely less appealing. Why would anyone buy the PS4 version of Minecraft now? It's just outdated and garbage and you can't play it with your friends. Sony sucessfully sabotaged their own version of a extremely popular game into irrelevancy
- Crossplay helps online communities continue being alive, which in turn incentivises people to spend money on the game and related content.
- Cross progression makes people more likely to buy in-game content, as they could buy things in the PS4 version and use them in other platforms

A couple of questions.

1. What games can you list that pubs/devs chose not to release on PS4 due to cross play? Do you have PR releases or comments to that?

2. Minecraft is a game on PS4 but it is not a "Sony" game and is one out of nearly 1700 titles. With an install base of over 70 million consoles are you seriously implying that people who chose to buy a game on the PS4 would not find anyone to play with?

3. How long have online communities been alive before crossplay was an issue?

4. What part of "using them on other platforms" should make Sony execs squeal with delight?

Most of what you mentioned, given the install base for the PS4, circles back around to the fact that gamers aren't going to be alone on the most popular titles on PS4 consoles, people will spend money on any online gaming community they are a part of even without cross play and using game/items on other consoles is still not something the console makers care about.

Was playing the other day with friends, we had to leave the one Xbox guy out in the cold. Sony better fix their shit.

Marginalise the competition, form strategic relationships with others.
Happens in all industries, it's why Windows Phone is now dead, while Windows 10/Office are so prevalent.

Sega, Atari, 3DO, PC Engine have all come and gone down the years. PC, IOS and Android aren't going anywhere, so it makes sense to form strategic partnerships.

^ is exactly the point.

The argument for crossplay would have been stronger at the start of the generation, but once Sony had over 50 mill install base and a sizable lead over competition, I am sure they only would view that as hurting themselves.

Mar 10, 2018
Crossplay with Switch Minecraft is coming. You can keep saying that it doesn't exist but it's coming. Should I go into the God of War thread and say "btw, God of War doesn't exist" just because it's not out yet?

When I talk about recommending Minecraft or Fortnite on a particular platform I'm talking as much about the ability for someone to play with their friends as much as I am a 'community'. The community of Minecraft players on PS4 is absolutely fine I'm sure. It's a huge game. But it's also a game that doesn't involve matchmaking multiplayer. It's about joining worlds with other specific players/friends and building with them. If I had a friend who was looking to buy a console for Minecraft so their kid could play with their friends the PS4 would be literally the only platform that I wouldn't recommend, unless all of their friends were on PS4. On the flip side, if the PS4 version supported crossplay with PC/Xbox/iOS/Android/Switch as every other platform does then it would definitely be the one I would recommend over Xbox if it came down to those two. For various reasons. As it stands it's easily the worst version of the second biggest game in the world. The iOS version is better if you want to play with friends. Just think about that!

But why you keep mentioning Fortnite for Switch because it doesn't exist?
Minecraft update for Switch is coming, sure. God knows when. It's delayed again yesterday. But i wouldn't mentioned Switch version in anyway because update isn't finished. GOW is a done game. It's in production, so GOW exists for PS4.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Again the question is, if this stance of theirs helped allowed their console to have a base of 70 million + and growing. Why would you view this as a negative thing as a PS4 owner. The logic dictates they won't loose sales but in fact gain sales. If this really were an issue wouldn't this be reflected on the sales to date?

A couple of questions.

1. What games can you list that pubs/devs chose not to release on PS4 due to cross play? Do you have PR releases or comments to that?

2. Minecraft is a game on PS4 but it is not a "Sony" game and is one out of nearly 1700 titles. With an install base of over 70 million consoles are you seriously implying that people who chose to buy a game on the PS4 would not find anyone to play with?

3. How long have online communities been alive before crossplay was an issue?

4. What part of "using them on other platforms" should make Sony execs squeal with delight?

Most of what you mentioned, given the install base for the PS4, circles back around to the fact that gamers aren't going to be alone on the most popular titles on PS4 consoles, people will spend money on any online gaming community they are a part of even without cross play and using game/items on other consoles is still not something the console makers care about.

^ is exactly the point.

The argument for crossplay would have been stronger at the start of the generation, but once Sony had over 50 mill install base and a sizable lead over competition, I am sure they only would view that as hurting themselves.
Yo did you read what I said man? I wasn't disputing that Sony could potentially lose sales

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This 'pressure' people feel like they're putting on Sony with articles, this very thread and a few individuals who go on social media to bring up crossplay in every PlayStation related post or tweet.

So with all that, What are you going to do if Sony still don't give a fuck? And I'm not even being my usual sarcastic self here, like seriously. How far are you willing to take it?

Don't play crossplay games on Sony's platform?

Sell your PS4 with threats of not buying their next console?

What's the long term strategy here besides letting them know they're being very naughty dogs that chewed up all the balls rolling into their court.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
But why you keep mentioning Fortnite for Switch because it doesn't exist?
Minecraft update for Switch is coming, sure. God knows when. It's delayed again yesterday. But i wouldn't mentioned Switch version in anyway because update isn't finished. GOW is a done game. It's in production, so GOW exists for PS4.

I didn't mention Fortnite Switch in that post you quoted at all. If I've ever mentioned it before it's hypothetical.

But yes if you want to be completely literal Fortnite Switch doesn't exist and Minecraft Switch Better Together update is still in production so isn't available yet.

MrHeisenbird

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
This 'pressure' people feel like they're putting on Sony with articles, this very thread and a few individuals who go on social media to bring up crossplay in every PlayStation related post or tweet.

So with all that, What are you going to do if Sony still don't give a fuck? And I'm not even being my usual sarcastic self here, like seriously. How far are you willing to take it?

What's the long term strategy here besides letting them know they're being very naughty dogs that chewed up all the balls rolling into their court.
Preach!

enMTW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is outside of the scope of the thread. This is not a place to debate tactics for putting pressure on Sony - we know how to do that and it's happening right now; you complain about those tactics in your post. This thread is about Sony blocking cross play in Fortnite/other titles.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think the pressure that has the ability to change Sony's bullshit is more likely to come from the developer side of things

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
That Xbox player could, in fact, own multiple consoles but bought the game on his Xbox. So it's a mischaracterization to say that it's about punishing one-console owners. All Sony has done in that scenario if he's a multi-console owner who bought the game elsewhere is repulsed one of your own customers with your decision. There's been enough examples of posters who have said just that in this thread.
If the game in question is Fortnite, they could have downloaded it for free, and played online for free.

Sony will be looking to bring mobile and (to a lesser extent) PC gamers onboard with F2P titles like Fortnite......with free online play. For ultra casual gamers, monthly subscriptions are a major barrier to entry.

Each company obviously has different priorities. The whole cross-play situation seems such a low priority for the gaming community.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Well, you touched on this already, but things like this have a way of impacting future purchase decisions for consumers and future release strategies for developers. And considering this issue regarding Sony's disabling of cross-play with any other console has only been in the public consciousness for less than a year (it basically came to a head when Nintendo gave the go-ahead for crossplay games at E3 2017 and really singled Sony out), we don't even know how big of an issue this will become.

The longer Sony holds out, the greater the likelihood is that this issue becomes an anchor tied around their neck that weighs them down. If not in this generation (which still might be the case, it's a bit tough to know one way or the other), then certainly in the next, when consumers have to make purchasing choices without the benefit of a pre-established userbase or when developers have to start making decisions about what consoles will offer the best potential ROI for their online games at or near launch of these consoles.

And certainly, I don't think this will be THE reason someone doesn't buy a PS5, but it will be A reason. And Sony shouldn't give a consumer any reason to not consider buying their console.

Oct 26, 2017
This is outside of the scope of the thread. This is not a place to debate tactics for putting pressure on Sony - we know how to do that and it's happening right now; you complain about those tactics in your post. This thread is about Sony blocking cross play in Fortnite/other titles.
We're at 58 pages....I think the conversation has evolved a slight bit since page 1.

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
Epic won't do anything cuz Sony has vastly bigger Fortnite player base than MS. Waaay bigger.

Ignoring that I said I /hope/ Epic does something, not that I necessarily /expect/ Epic to do something... as true as your statement may be, I don't really see what Epic lose by poking Sony.

For a company like Epic, who build [and license] a major engine, develop and publish big, long tail multiplayer games that rely on engagement for on-going monetisation, being able to market that whole package to a united platform of players [and developers] at home and on the go is a dream come true. The game's established itself enough to be disruptive, so why not use that status in a way that whilst benefiting Epic in a self-serving manner also might give us, the end user, a cool new thing that's good for us all?

Let's be objective, MS also making F2P games to look worse on their console and also it looks less appealing to buy Xbone to play Fortnite because you need to pay to play F2P games unlike on their main competitor - PS4. I would rather choose to buy PS4 because you can really play it for free and also you have vastly bigger player base in Fortnite at start. And Sony knows that.

Whether or not that is objective, I'm not sure what this has to do with my interest: a PC player being keen to play with my friends on PS4 /and/ XB1.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I've only read two instances of MS saying no to CP last gen and here's my take on it.

1) They said no in July of 2010. The quote was something about the lines of having the best service, obligation to our users, yada. This quote comes right on the feels of the 2010 PSN attack. It's speculation, but that quote might be in reference to that PSN debacle.

2) It was Square that wanted CP for PS360 for their game. Not Sony in particular.

Correct me if I'm wrong!
Ps2-PS3 Sony seemed very hands off with whatever devs wanted to do with thier online games. The difference now is Sony want PS+ subs, and they still give devs some freedoms.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm waiting to buy a PS4 for now, considering I have Xbox One X, Switch, PC and mobile, and there are only a couple games on PS4 not available elsewhere I'm interested in, let alone paying for PS+. Until they start supporting cross-play on titles I play, I doubt I'll bother buying their console, so there's that. People boycotted the Xbox One at launch en masse for their shitty DRM, now it's time to see if people can put their money where their mouth is and stop supporting Sony when their policy is actively hurting them. But looking at how quickly other controversies were forgotten (see Quantic Dream), I'm not holding my breath.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think the pressure that has the ability to change Sony's mentality is more likely to come from the developer side of things

No, I'm not missing your point. Forget lawbreakers for a moment. Think of less popular online games. Is this helping?

The general public cares for the big games and those that generate enough noise.
Those are the main drivers in console and software sales in which Sony clearly leads and even increases all the time.
The masses care about CoD,GTA,Fifa and stuff and there everyone thanks to advertising knows you "have" to go with the PS4.

Even recently with the currently biggest game,a free2play game like Fortnite it was made clear a guy like Drake plays on PS4 with his buddy Ninja who is on PC.
Perfect advertisement.
The masses see Drake is on PS4 and he crossplays with PC and that is enough.

Would it help smaller games with next to no advertising and no media presence on for example twitch&youtube to have a somewhat bigger community?Sure obviously
But they don't matter - They aren't important enough to actually affect the mindset of the general public and they won't hurt Sony or whoever might be currently excluding someone from the party.

And reading something like "Sony will feel it once developers don't release their games on the PS4"
Sure sure - EA,Activision etc won't release Fifa,CoD&co anymore on a soon 100 Million Installbase platform anymore
Not even Epic with Fortnite will change anything - They can silently grumble around but you don't exclude the PS4 aka the Console Industry Leader anymore if you have a game that is big and good enough to make it into the mainstream market.

The only pressure Sony might feel is if Microsoft manages to start selling anywhere near close as many consoles as Sony currently does + increase their Worldwide presence which they clearly don't.
As long as this isn't the case not a single one of the big publishers that could start a change of heart will go against Sony cause they are the definitive choice to bet on.

What i can see is Sony changing it on their own and advertising it big at a event on the stage to make it their good news.

ronald

Nov 2, 2017
I just want to say I love what the mods did with this thread. This issue is very important to me (cross play) but even if it wasn't I notice a lot of thread drive bys i.e. " this issue isn't important to me and my opinion is the only one that matters so this topic is stupid." Would love to see more mod interventions like this.

That said, the issue of cross play is a big deal to me because my gaming community is essentially split in half. Half my friends have Xbox one , half have ps4. Getting both consoles, something I shouldn't have to do, doesn't even solve the issue because I can still only play with half my friends if everyone is theoretically online.

Secondly, when ps4 is able to block crossplay with no backlash, they can continue with anti consumer practices because they know they have the bigger market share and they can make unreasonable demands upon game devs for the benefit of the Sony (and not necessarily their fans) . In this situation, no one wins but Sony by blocking cross play.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And reading something like "Sony will feel it once developers don't release their games on the PS4"

you'll have to point out where I said that

my point is that if developers are making public statements about wanting crossplay and about Sony being the one holding it up then you can assume that these conversations are happening behind the scenes as well

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
You really think that Sony would really lose new customers if they enabled CP? I mean, if this was the case, why would Sony allow CP with PC and mobile. Those are potential customers, right?? I thought the reason to buy a PS4 was the games. Now it's crossplay that will make or break Sony sales??

We are on page 29 and these defenses are still hollow.
Pc is a different beast than console. I like the troubleshooting after I solve the issues, but you can't deny the ease of console gaming. Every setting is usually equal for every, so you aren't thinking about tweaking this, and that. There are no tweak threads for every console game.

For mobile, well it's mobile. I isn't replacing a console experience yet.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Yo did you read what I said man? I wasn't disputing that Sony could potentially lose sales

I was disputing that assertion. If it was an issue, it would have happened already. I don't think it is an issue in this current generation to change the tide of sales. Maybe in the future but that is a big "if" we are talking about as it is unsure what the future holds for the direction of gaming. You are saying the "could lose sales" I am pointing out that they are gaining not losing. Therefore the idea of potentially lost sales doesn't have much weight behind them.

I think the pressure that has the ability to change Sony's bullshit is more likely to come from the developer side of things

And what pub/developer is willing to avoid an install base of over 70 million for this cause?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any workaround that I can use so that I can plug in my Dualshock to the iPAD?

Not trying to crush mobile users, just want to cross play with console

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The general public cares for the big games and those that generate enough noise.
Those are the main drivers in console and software sales in which Sony clearly leads and even increases all the time.
The masses care about CoD,GTA,Fifa and stuff and there everyone thanks to advertising knows you "have" to go with the PS4.

Even recently with the currently biggest game,a free2play game like Fortnite it was made clear a guy like Drake plays on PS4 with his buddy Ninja who is on PC.
Perfect advertisement.
The masses see Drake is on PS4 and he crossplays with PC and that is enough.

Would it help smaller games with next to no advertising and no media presence on for example twitch&youtube to have a somewhat bigger community?Sure obviously
But they don't matter - They aren't important enough to actually affect the mindset of the general public and they won't hurt Sony or whoever might be currently excluding someone from the party.

Sure sure - EA,Activision etc won't release Fifa,CoD&co anymore on a soon 100 Million Installbase platform anymore
Not even Epic with Fortnite will change anything - They can silently grumble around but you don't exclude the PS4 aka the Console Industry Leader anymore if you have a game that is big and good enough to make it into the mainstream market.

The only pressure Sony might feel is if Microsoft manages to start selling anywhere near close as many consoles as Sony currently does + increase their Worldwide presence which they clearly don't.
As long as this isn't the case not a single one of the big publishers that could start a change of heart will go against Sony cause they are the definitive choice to bet on.

What i can see is Sony changing it on their own and advertising it big at a event on the stage to make it their good news.

Don't forget minecraft. The PS4 version will not get the latest and grates updates. Minecraft is still huge and why would would people play on the inferior version? They know they have to play somewhere else to get the latest and greatest.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Save, no.

Extend the life of, yes.
Lawbreakers is a bad game choice for a crossplay example. Keyboard and mouse in this fast paced shooter is too much of an advantage. Crossplay was in Unreal 3 (?, the PS3 one) and it was a blood bath. Console players would just not crossplay and you'd get the same results.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I was disputing that assertion. If it was an issue, it would have happened already. I don't think it is an issue in this current generation to change the tide of sales. Maybe in the future but that is a big "if" we are talking about as it is unsure what the future holds for the direction of gaming. You are saying the "could lose sales" I am pointing out that they are gaining not losing. Therefore the idea of potentially lost sales doesn't have much weight behind them.

And what pub/developer is willing to avoid an install base of over 70 million for this cause?
If they don't lose sales then there's even less reason for them to not do it.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a nice little list of some of the publications and sites that have covered the news of Fortnite/Sony crossplay weirdness just to show in one nice succinct post that it's not just Resetera that cares about the subject.

BBC News
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43386923

The Sun
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/5784132/fortnite-xbox-one-ps4-cross-play-pc-mobile/

Rolling Stone
https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel...wants-fortnite-xbox-one-ps4-crossplay-w517803

PlayStation Lifestyle
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...-and-epic-games-want-fortnite-cross-platform/

Gamespot
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-boss-wants-fortnite-ps4-xbox-one-cross-play-d/1100-6457323/

IGN
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/03/12/xbox-boss-wants-fortnite-to-have-xbox-one-ps4-cross-play

Metro
http://metro.co.uk/2018/03/12/fortnite-cross-play-coming-soon-xbox-one-not-ps4-7379969/

Game Informer
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...nite-crossplay-with-ps4-and-so-does-epic.aspx

Videogamer.com
https://www.videogamer.com/news/xbo...ortnite-ps4-and-xbox-one-cross-play-to-happen

Attack of the Fanboy
https://attackofthefanboy.com/news/...-playstation-cross-platform-play-in-fortnite/

Business Insider
http://uk.businessinsider.com/playstation-ps4-xbox-one-sony-microsoft-crossplay-explained-2018-3

Kotaku
https://kotaku.com/microsoft-says-sony-is-holding-back-fortnite-cross-play-1823707508

Eurogamer
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...e-devices-soon-features-ps4-and-pc-cross-play

Twinfinite
http://twinfinite.net/2018/03/phil-spencer-fortnite-devs-support-xbox-one-playstation-4-cross-play/

Destructoid
https://www.destructoid.com/xbox-he...4-xbox-one-crossplay-on-fortnite-493999.phtml

Comicbook.com
http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/03/12/xboxs-phil-spencer-fortnite-crossplay-xbox-one-ps4-mobile/

Bleeding Cool
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/0...e-cross-play-with-playstation-4-and-xbox-one/

Game Revolution
http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/375223-fortnite-ps4-xbox-one-crossplay-epic-microsoft-want

BBC, The Sun, and Rolling Stone covering this? NICEEEE. All we need is Drake to call out Sony on twitter to really make it big. Let's go!

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Can only talk as a non Playstation owner here, but i never support bad platforms.
But i also know I'm in the minority and many people don't see it that way or don't know how much the Playstation platform is lacking.

Only a developer with a huge game could make a difference. And their design philosophy with crossplay as being essential has to be bigger than any monetary loss for not being on a fairly big platform like Ps4.
This can only happen with new games, or timed exclusives. No publisher or developer will, or should, ever take their game off the platform. That would be more anti consumer and bad for their customers.

So the only games, currently already on the marekt, i could see doing this are PUBG or Minecraft on the next Playstation.