• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Being able to play with any friends that only play on XB1.

Also larger player pool.
What´s the point? They can´t interact anyway. And the player pool is huge on PS4. I don´t see a single valid reason why the average Playstation consumer should care about cross play. It´s an absolute nonissue that get´s blown completely out of proportion for Microsoft marketing purposes.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Cross play with Console and PC has started becoming more common. Hopefully we hit the next step where all consoles are able to play together. Would be huge for more niche multiplayer games.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
The fortnite tweet makes it sound like the devs are against what Sony is doing as well. Wish more media outlets spoke out about this.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
guys guys

It's like, right

forcing people who bought big macs and whoppers to sit at separate ends of the food court

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Would you let Burger King sell their menu at your McDonald's?

Not going to happen.
A better way of saying this is: "Would you let your customers and Burger King customers sit at the same tables outside built and owned by your common partner Heinz who provides ketsup to both you and your competitor."

PSN isn't gaining or losing sales by allowing cross play. It's only gaining an even larger player base to keep the partner product healthy. You can't justify this anti-consumer stuff unless you just straight up are cool with companies being anti consumer.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Shitty ass policy. Sadly there's not enough public outcry for them to change it.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
What´s the point? They can´t interact anyway. And the player pool is huge on PS4. I don´t see a single valid reason why the average Playstation consumer should care about cross play. It´s an absolute nonissue that get´s blown completely out of proportion for Microsoft marketing purposes.
I mean you can use Discord. I'm sure those people exist that would like to play with friends on the opposite platform. No, it's not an incredibly common issue.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
A better way of saying this is: "Would you let your customers and Burger King customers sit at the same tables outside built and owned by your common partner Heinz who provides ketsup to both you and your competitor."

PSN isn't gaining or losing sales by allowing cross play. It's only gaining an even larger player base to keep the partner product healthy. You can't justify this anti-consumer stuff unless you just straight up are cool with companies being anti consumer.

PSN won't lose sales, but they could gain less sales by allowing cross play. No need to get a PS4 anymore if there is cross play.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox players aren't their customers though.

It's not like the Xbox player base is struggling. Fortnite is the most played game on Xbox.

This doesn't just benefit Xbox owners, it benefits gamers who have friends on different consoles. If you have a PS4 and don't have friends that own a Xbox or eventually a Switch (I'm guessing FTBR will come soon to Switch with crossplay), it's not a problem for you. But some people do have that issue. I'm guessing the user who messaged Phil Spencer in that tweet was one of them.

Afro_Ninja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PS4 players have no problems finding matches, they have no reason to bring their player base to the competidors.

Sony build this player base playing the game in areas Microsoft and Nintendo denied for ages, why would Sony open their player base to Microsoft and Nintendo now?

If Microsoft and Nintendo has less players is because of their own business mistakes, but now is easy to say "open your player base".

Sony: "build you own".

This willl not happen, ps4 players are fine, Sony consumers don't care for this.

Time to get over it, this is the third game with the drama the companies keep feeding fan boy war.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fully understand why Sony doesn't allow this and if the roles were reversed, Microsoft wouldn't be doing it either so it all evens out.

Rainemane

Oct 27, 2017
With Sony having the largest console install base there's no reason why they would agree to crossplay with other consoles. It only benefits the consoles with the smaller base to have larger pool of players to connect to, that would be mainly from playstation.
Sony response (although silent) is basically if you want to play a game with or against your friends who most likely have a PS4 then get one yourself.
Not saying this is right but Sony is not changing on this stance until they need a reason to get people interested in there platform if it ever loses momentum.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
As I've said in the other thread, phill says a lot of things on twitter, he's a PR machine basically.

Oct 27, 2017
Would you let Burger King sell their menu at your McDonald's?

Not going to happen.

Skux, that analogy doesn't work.

First, nobody is suggesting that Xbox games be sold on PS4 marketplace, and vice versa

If you have a meal from burger king, you are able to walk into a McDonald's with it and sit+eat at the table with a friend eating a McDonald's meal. THATS the analogy.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony be like.

giphy.gif

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Except their logic is "if you want to play with your friends that have a PS4, buy a PS4". Crossplay eliminates that so....

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
How many Xbox + Switch cross play games happened since the whole console cross play campaign?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this needs to be put to bed. It's gotten as bad as port begging at this stage.

Why does it bother people that other people want it? So you're happy with the current player numbers, so what? How does this affect you negatively other than adding a few new threads you should probably just ignore?

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure those people exist that would like to play with friends on the opposite platform.
How many people fall under this category anymore? Friends and where they play is a huge determining factor when it comes to where I choose to spend my money. When the 360 took off, I went with the PS3 because that's where all of my friends were going. If all of my friends went and built gaming PCs in the next 6 months, I'd be on PC.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I mean how often do you see Pepsi and Coca Cola being sold in the same fast food restaurant? It's a business...

This isn't so compliated that you need an analogy:

A publisher wants to have progress and online play linked in their multi-platform release. One of those platforms has a restriction on allowing cross-play with competing consoles, which has been a snag. Players would benefit from that cross play in a number of ways, and obviously it's what the publisher wants. That's why people (even those not directly affected) are annoyed at Sony as a platform holder, even understanding that they represent a huge segment of players. Saying "it's a business" to dismiss a reasonable critcism of a specific policy is a senseless way of looking at it. The same reasons for/against cross-play with any other platform apply just as much to other consoles. This isn't zero sum: Sony isn't losing anything by allowing it.

Thank you. This is really well stated.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure any reasonable people would have thought that. Given we've known for a fact for some time that it's Sony holding this stuff up every single time.
People thought MS was holding Xbox back from cross-play and cross-progression with everyone but PS4, which they were, as after "talks with EPIC" they have the same deal. Don't think anyone thought MS would be blocking the cross-play part though.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017

Bout time someone got the analogy correct lol. Was bugging me reading all the analogies that made no sense

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I assume this thread will be like the others, with people defending anti-consumer practices.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I can already tell lots of people still putting corporate interests (Sony) over consumers (the gamers).

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like business 101.

Not happening with xbox, 100%. Don't want to give Xbox any advantage, as they are their direct competitor.

Now, I wonder what would happen if this game was out ONLY on switch, PS4, and PC. I wonder what Sony would do. I wonder how they see the switch.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
PSN won't lose sales, but they could gain less sales by allowing cross play. No need to get a PS4 anymore if there is cross play.

That works both ways. No need to get an Xbox either.

I'm one of the only PS4 players in my friends/family group. Maybe I would have stayed on the PS4 version and spent my money there if cross pay was a thing. Instead, I started playing on the Xbox version of Fortnite and spent money on micro transactions there.

At worst, Sony don't lose OR gain anything by allowing cross play. But at least their third party partners gain. Maybe they could think of them?

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
People saying Sony's stance isn't benefitting their players are confusing to me. If Sony aren't doing it, it's because they believe it will hurt their position versus MS, and Sony's players benefit from Sony's market position.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I feel like people have been trying to make this a "thing" for almost a year, but it hasn't really gained any real traction. I remember there was a segment during The Game Awards where Geoff Keighley kept bringing it up and mentioned it directly to the live audience expecting a massive response from the crowd, but even that was met with a whimper and subsequently didn't go viral like it was clearly supposed to.

It's obviously fine to keep having the conversation, but I genuinely don't believe enough people care about this to force Sony into changing what is clearly a business-led decision.