• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Not yet, it should be coming soon.

Im so excited for this.

Epic just about dominates the BR market by doing this. This game's been in development for like 3 years, but now they can so easily port the game, and manage for it to run so well.

A united PS4, PC, Xbox, Switch, Mac, iOS, Android user base will make this game a juggernaut. They covered all bases, and will also kill off the BR games already on the iPhone.

GamerEra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why don't people boycott the game on PS4?

Stop playing the game and putting money into it. People here allegedly understand that Sony is a corporation, so we should know how to speak their language, right?
If they really want to hit Sony where it hurts then they should organize a large Facebook group of people to trade in PS4s for Xbox Ones around the same week. Sony would definitely notice that. Do it around E3 to try and hit mainstream media.

If you're not willing to participate then it means you probably don't care very much.

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh, I made this post a while ago but it still applies.

To all of those theorizing about why Sony won't, can't, doesn't want, can't afford, how it would be bad for them or whatever else, here is my beef with you.

This is coming from a business owners perspective...

You. Don't. Know.

You are just guessing.

You have no idea what Sony's budget is and you have no idea what they are willing to spend in order to satisfy you.
Nor do you know at what point on the scale they would need to see consumer demand at in order to make the necessary sacrifices to appease their consumers.
You do not know at what point on the scale they see their company image and you do not know how much is too much for that scale to drop for them to take action.
You do not know what they absolutely can and cannot implement or to what degree they are willing to implement it.

You. Don't. Know.

Do you know what you do know though? What they have told you. Which is, "think of the children." That is the closest thing to facts that you actually know. Even if they are lying. So if you think that is BS then you should be pressuring them for a better answer. But it's the only one you have to go with and the best thing that you or anyone else can hold against them. Their own word.

But what I have been trying to say is that you don't need to know. You just need to make your demand heard. That is how consumerism works. A business sees that consumers want something. If that demand is high enough and if that business is able to figure out a way to supply it they will. Do you know why? Because there are other businesses who will fulfill that demand in a hearbeat if they can.

These console and game makers add features to their products based on demand and they also cut them on the same basis. Features big and small. Features that for a time might even become standard and others that would only last a while or be a niche standard because the cost to implement is so low. It's that simple really.

So my beef is that you can guess this is for "X" business reasons all day for whatever reason you might have to do so. But that ultimately serves no purpose other than to stifle peoples passion causing this movement to lose steam. Instead of encouraging people and helping out to make crossplay a thing if you actually care about other gamers outside of your ecosystem.

But if you still truly don't care about crossplay either way...

3) If your best argument against cross-play is "well I do not care about cross-play", then you may as well not make a post at all in this topic.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any workaround that I can use so that I can plug in my Dualshock to the iPAD?

Not trying to crush mobile users, just want to cross play with console

Not without jailbreaking your iPad. You need a specific MiFi controller to connect to your iPad. Fortnite doesn't support any of them yet but they're gonna add it in.

Not yet, it should be coming soon.

iOS devices don't support Dualshocks or any Xinput/direct input bluetooth controllers. Only MiFi controllers. You can enable Dualshock 4 if you jailbreak but it won't come with any Fortnite update. You have to buy specific controllers.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017

And saying what? The relation between devs, pubs and the console manufacturers are not one of friendship but one of business. For something like this to happen one side is going to sacrifice and there would be no reasons for the console makers to sacrifice on that point. So what leverage or deal would you imagine a dev have short of.... we will not release game for your console? What is even stronger is pubs. Lack of cross-play means there is a higher chance of consumers buying a second copy of game. What pub would think that is a great idea? If it is not in the best interest of most pubs, then how many devs do you think will run the risk of angering the pub they may have a deal with to push for a feature which results does not seem to benefit pub or console manufacturer?

If they don't lose sales then there's even less reason for them to not do it.

That is illogical if it is assumed that keeping the policy in place is what helped with the sales. Which was the point of the posts I made.

Last edited:

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY

To all of those theorizing about why Sony won't, can't, doesn't want, can't afford, how it would be bad for them or whatever else, here is my beef with you.

You. Don't. Know.

You are just guessing.

You have no idea what Sony's budget is and you have no idea what they are willing to spend in order to satisfy you.
Nor do you know at what point on the scale they would need to see consumer demand at in order to make the necessary sacrifices to appease their consumers.
You do not know at what point on the scale they see their company image and you do not know how much is too much for that scale to drop for them to take action.
You do not know what they absolutely can and cannot implement or to what degree they are willing to implement it.

You. Don't. Know.

Do you know what you do know though? What they have told you. Which is, "think of the children." That is the closest thing to facts that you actually know. Even if they are lying. So if you think that is BS then you should be pressuring them for a better answer. But it's the only one you have to go with and the best thing that you or anyone else can hold against them. Their own word.

But what I have been trying to say is that you don't need to know. You just need to make your demand heard. That is how consumerism works. A business sees that consumers want something. If that demand is high enough and if that business is able to figure out a way to supply it they will. Do you know why? Because there are other businesses who will fulfill that demand in a hearbeat if they can.

These console and game makers add features to their products based on demand and they also cut them on the same basis. Features big and small. Features that for a time might even become standard and others that would only last a while or be a niche standard because the cost to implement is so low. It's that simple really.

So my beef is that you can guess this is for "X" business reasons all day for whatever reason you might have to do so. But that ultimately serves no purpose other than to stifle peoples passion causing this movement to lose steam. Instead of encouraging people and helping out to make crossplay a thing if you actually care about other gamers outside of your ecosystem.

Especially because right now the only OFFICIAL word on it from Sony is Jim Ryan's "think of the children!" explanation.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

You. Don't. Know.

You are just guessing.

You. Don't. Know.

This is a fantastic post. Spot on.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed.
For example, there's no monopolistic distributor/gateway company preventing developers from integrating their PC games and providing cross-functionality with whatever they damn well please :P
Yeah, I like that part. Freedom, I don't even stick to Steam. I only put money in my steam wallet directly if it's the only choice. Though when getting FFXI TZA in haste I did notice Steam has a better way of refunding money put in the wallet by mistake than crossing your fingers and hoping your ticket gets checked eventually. For example, if the purchase page hangs so you do it again without realizing it already went through the first time (maybe the customer support improved to, or it's probably just the new refund system that allowed this).

iOS devices don't support Dualshocks or any Xinput/direct input bluetooth controllers. Only MiFi controllers. You can enable Dualshock 4 if you jailbreak but it won't come with any Fortnite update. You have to buy specific controllers.
Oh dang, I only use Android so I thought there was a way to use DS3 and DS4(bluetooth) already but the game just didn't support it yet. It's coming to android though (controller support for Fortnite mobile).

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017

You. Don't. Know.

You are just guessing.

You. Don't. Know.

This is the largest pile of nonsense I have ever seen. First of all there are alot of things people do not know but can make reasonable assumptions from via extrapolating what is already present, historical context and of course words from company themselves.

The problem with people is that they often only take what they want away from some media. Sony did not just say " think of the children" was the only reason.

Here is what is being referenced from eurogamer just for clarity

Minecraft works cross-platform between Switch, Xbox and PC. Today, Rocket League was announced as working cross-platform between Switch, Xbox and PC. Both don't work cross-platform with PlayStation. Now, is this Sony not playing ball? What is actually going on here?

Jim Ryan: It's certainly not a profound philosophical stance we have against this. We've done it in the past. We're always open to conversations with any developer or publisher who wants to talk about it. Unfortunately it's a commercial discussion between ourselves and other stakeholders, and I'm not going to get into the detail of that on this particular instance. And I can see your eyes rolling.

Well, you must see that PlayStation owners are upset. They want to play with Switch owners, PC owners and Xbox One owners for these two big and important games, and they don't have an explanation for why. That's what I'm getting at, really.

Jim Ryan: Yeah. We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft - the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.

What proponents of cross-play would turn into and deride is "for the children" but totally ignore

"Unfortunately it's a commercial discussion between ourselves and other stakeholders"

and

We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after

If you were reading for comprehension, the takeaway should have been about business and control, not specifically about the children.

But if you want to paint everyone talking about the stance of company as clueless idiots, whatever floats your boat.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You. Don't. Know.

You are just guessing.

You. Don't. Know.

Good post.

I enjoy how the fact that in assuming and defending this from a business perspective, those people are glossing over the fact that in order for that to be true then Sony have to have lied to their faces about why.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Oh dang, I only use Android so I thought there was a way to use DS3 and DS4(bluetooth) already but the game just didn't support it yet. It's coming to android though (controller support for Fortnite mobile).

Yeah, it sucks. I keep thinking of picking up a MiFi controller for my phone/iPad but I just wish I could use my Xbox One/PS4 controller really. I've got so many controllers as it is!

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed.
For example, there's no monopolistic distributor/gateway company preventing developers from integrating their PC games and providing cross-functionality with whatever they damn well please :P

Do you believe that would be the case should Microsoft's store become the market leader (or the only available option)?

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they really want to hit Sony where it hurts then they should organize a large Facebook group of people to trade in PS4s for Xbox Ones around the same week. Sony would definitely notice that. Do it around E3 to try and hit mainstream media.

If you're not willing to participate then it means you probably don't care very much.

Yea, you sound like one of those people who say "if you don't like 'Mericuh then leave". Completely missing the point.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
And saying what? The relation between devs, pubs and the console manufacturers are not one of friendship but one of business. For something like this to happen one side is going to sacrifice and there would be no reasons for the console makers to sacrifice on that point. So what leverage or deal would you imagine a dev have short of.... we will not release game for your console? What is even stronger is pubs. Lack of cross-play means there is a higher chance of consumers buying a second copy of game. What pub would think that is a great idea? If it is not in the best interest of most pubs, then how many devs do you think will run the risk of angering the pub they may have a deal with to push for a feature which results does not seem to benefit pub or console manufacturer?

That is illogical if it is assumed that keeping the policy in place is what helped with the sales. Which was the point of the posts I made.
Well I already said it doesn't matter to me if t hurts sales

Mar 10, 2018
User Warned: Thread Whining
This is a fantastic post. Spot on.

This is the largest pile of nonsense I have ever seen

Well... LOL

This 'pressure' people feel like they're putting on Sony with articles, this very thread and a few individuals who go on social media to bring up crossplay in every PlayStation related post or tweet.

So with all that, What are you going to do if Sony still don't give a fuck?

Best post. People need to realize that even with The Sun, BBC, IGN's and bunch of other articles Sony won't change their stance because obviously business reasons. Members here just going in circles, doing Sisyphean's task. If public media didn't do shit, nor will Resetera forum. It's just moving goalposts. Really.

enMTW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well... LOL

Best post. People need to realize that even with The Sun, BBC, IGN's and bunch of other articles Sony won't change their stance because obviously business reasons. Members here just going in circles, doing Sisyphean's task. If public media didn't do shit, nor will Resetera forum. It's just moving goalposts. Really.

Please do not come into this thread to tell us not to care about what we care about, not to push for acceptable behavior from platform holders. An administrator just came into this thread in an attempt to stop that kind of thing. Please follow the instructions that staff give.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice to try and get some sort of push on social media to convince those with the power to pressure PlayStation to do so. Be it, Epic, Psyonix or some big Fortnite streamers.

Oct 27, 2017
This is the largest pile of nonsense I have ever seen. First of all there are alot of things people do not know but can make reasonable assumptions from via extrapolating what is already present, historical context and of course words from company themselves.

The problem with people is that they often only take what they want away from some media. Sony did not just say " think of the children" was the only reason.

What proponents of cross-play would turn into and deride is "for the children" but totally ignore

and

If you were reading for comprehension, the takeaway should have been about business and control, not specifically about the children.

But if you want to paint everyone talking about the stance of company as clueless idiots, whatever floats your boat.

First off, an assumption is still just a guess.

You see people assuming things both ways in this very thread and only when it benefits their argument do people ask others to back themselves up with facts.

Problem is, you can play the guessing game all day long. But to what end? As a business owner I can tell you that having customers that take up arms for you and make excuses for your mishaps or choices without you having to do or say anything is probably one of the most enticing prospects to look forward to. Which is what you and others that are playing this guessing game are doing.

Secondly, yeah, I should have added think of the shareholders as well.

But unless you are a shareholder, why would you try to argue for them?

It's one thing to try to understand why businesses do things, but it's another thing entirely to argue against your best interests as a consumer with that knowledge. Especially since like I said before, you really don't know. Even if you are pretty sure. It would still be a gamble to make any kind of bet toward how a certain company would behave no matter how much of a sure thing you think it is unless you are one of the decision makers in said company.

Even if consumers want something that seems unprofitable for a company there is no reason that we shouldn't advocate for that thing.

This is the reason we have free servers on PC. Where it would be more profitable for companies to figure out a way to charge us like on consoles. If we used the same logic and say that it's more profitable for them so it's ok for them to charge because it's just a good business decision, then we wouldn't have it. Even though it's not a right.

Companies are willing to go out of their way to provide features for consumers if they see demand. But like I said, you don't know at what point that demand is enough for them.

Even if it bites them later. It's up to consumers to make things like this as standard as possible if we like it even when it might not be the most beneficial thing for whatever company isn't on top.

Thing is, Sony might not be on top forever, so eventually this may benefit them just as much as it would MS, Nintendo etc now and vice versa.

When looked at this way, this is actually a good thing for the industry as a whole and it would be better for it to happen now and participate in working out the kinks while you have a good footing rather than to wait till you are in dire straights to cave and everyone but you has their crap together.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think of the children is the lamest excuse when Microsoft has convinced Nintendo to crossplay with them, the most paranoid company about children being online in the history of companies.

enMTW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're not paranoid about children. It's just their go-to excuse.

Right. And that is *obvious*. PSN does not have any meaningful rules enforcement - Xbox Live has Policy & Enforcement while PSN allows for usernames like 'MAGAKillMexis1488'. They allow cross play with Steam, which allows for anything and everything.

Deleted member 30005

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Especially because right now the only OFFICIAL word on it from Sony is Jim Ryan's "think of the children!" explanation.

"Explanation" is too generous. It was excuse making. He was trying to justify a position that had been made and probably had no power to reverse. And his response will haunt him for the rest of his career.

MrHeisenbird

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If proposing alternative methods to push acceptable behavior from platform holders is not allowed, then this thread will drown with insanity.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well... LOL

I mean I guess if the objective is to affect Sony in the only way that could get them to change their stance, by convincing enough people to leave the Sony ecosystem so they lose revenue + can no longer weild their install base against the competition, then theoretically talking on the internet about it could work. I'm not seeing much talk of actions taken though, just talk.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Gotya, thanks! Yeah I think that's a good shout. Im already playing it on Xbox and iOS. As I said earlier in the thread, a friend of mine has just started to play on PS4 and it sucks that we can't play together (apart from if I play iOS...) unless I start a new account on my PS4 or PC. I'm not gonna do that.

I'd like to say I'm 'boycotting' it on PS4 but the reality is I already started on Xbox One X and I can't be bothered to have two sets of progression/unlocks/purchases by starting again on my PS4 just to play with my one mate there. Crossplay would help us both!

I certainly won't be buying future online games on PS4 though if they support console crossplay on other systems. I'll buy Hover on Xbox/Switch if I buy it and that goes for all future games where I can potentially do crossplay with more systems.

DesiacX

Oct 27, 2017

and

Consider when this article was made

If i am arguing for crossplay, Sony's commercial discussion with Stakeholders offers nothing new, because i assume what people are arguing against is/was a large blanket that covers "Business Reasons" (Since technology reasons ceased to exist), Sony's share/stakeholders included. There was nothing new to take away in that regard, and they didn't even get into detail of that on that particular instance.

If i am arguing against crossplay, that offers nothing new for me either, because odds are, before that article occurred, i had likely already used share/stakeholders in Sony's shoes an argument (Amongst other generic Business Reasons) , and been told i shouldn't care about that perspective because i am a player, not a holder. There is nothing new here other than validation of an devils advocate argument that didn't exactly pan out the first time.

You know what was new though? Sony offering a Nintendo level explanation that amounts to "Think of the Children". I don't think anyone could've expected this and actually argued it in Sony's place (If someone did, do tell). The fact that this was even a thing said at all is hilarious because of Nintendo's involvement.

That's why you didn't see the "Sony's discussion with Stakeholders" mentioned at all and why you saw the "for the children" part mocked to hell, back, and make plans for second trip.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017

Sure. "Go to the XB1 ecosystem to play Fortnite or Warframe. You still won't be able to play with the other team (PS) but at least you'll pay a subscription to play your free game."

I think that strategy won't work.

Perfectsil

Nov 8, 2017
San Diego
It does have cross progression between PS4/pc/Xbox right? Unless it makes you unlink your psn account when linking an Xbox account?( and the other way)

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You really think that Sony would really lose new customers if they enabled CP? I mean, if this was the case, why would Sony allow CP with PC and mobile. Those are potential customers, right?? I thought the reason to buy a PS4 was the games. Now it's crossplay that will make or break Sony sales??

We are on page 29 and these defenses are still hollow.
Where did I say that was make or break it for sales? And they absolutely could lose sales over it. If someone was willing to buy a PS4 to play with friends and now they don't have to because of cross play, then they won't. It's really not a difficult concept to understand.

Mobile and PC are not direct competitors to consoles. A person isn't going to go to a store to buy a PS4 and then be like "I think I'll buy a phone instead"

People will buy PC's and phones regardless. Weird, huh?

Please stop twisting my words to fit your agenda. Thanks

Not allowing crossplay has the following effects:

- Some games won't ever release on PS4 at all thanks to it. That's money Sony won't ever, ever see
- The refusal of crossplay literally makes PS4 versions of games extremely less appealing. Why would anyone buy the PS4 version of Minecraft now? It's just outdated and garbage and you can't play it with your friends. Sony sucessfully sabotaged their own version of a extremely popular game into irrelevancy
- Crossplay helps online communities continue being alive, which in turn incentivises people to spend money on the game and related content.
- Cross progression makes people more likely to buy in-game content, as they could buy things in the PS4 version and use them in other platforms

-Why would anyone buy the PS4 version of MInecraft indeed? People do though. And hey, if their friends also get it on PS4 then no problems. You seem to assume a person playing on PS4 only has friends playing on other platforms.
-Less appealing to who? You think there's a significant number of people that won't buy a game on PS4 because it doesn't have crossplay with Xbox? I bet you there's not.
-What game doesn't have enough people to play with now because lack of cross play? I can tell you none of the ones that Sony denied crossplay for are lacking in people to play with.
-Cross progression would be nice. I have Overwatch on PS4 and friend wanted me to get it on PC. After I found out my progress didn't sync that was an easy pass. Can't explain that one since Blizzard lets you link your PSN account to your Blizzard account.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
-Why would anyone buy the PS4 version of MInecraft indeed? People do though. And hey, if their friends also get it on PS4 then no problems. You seem to assume a person playing on PS4 only has friends playing on other platforms.
-Less appealing to who? You think there's a significant number of people that won't buy a game on PS4 because it doesn't have crossplay with Xbox? I bet you there's not.
-What game doesn't have enough people to play with now because lack of cross play? I can tell you none of the ones that Sony denied crossplay for are lacking in people to play with.

It's clear you have absolutely no interest in console crossplay being allowed on PS4. Is that accurate?

You talk about Sony potentially losing sales if crossplay is enabled. Does that make you not want them to allow it? Would you prefer that they kept denying it?

No agenda here with these questions. I'm enjoying getting people's opinions on it!

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Thread derailment with console wars antics even after a modpost on the subject was made
Sure. "Go to the XB1 ecosystem to play Fortnite or Warframe. You still won't be able to play with the other team (PS) but at least you'll pay a subscription to play your free game."

I think that strategy won't work.

For real, lol. Why more people are not outraged at having to pay-to-play F2P (and subscription MMO) games on the only platform that does it out of the lot, is interesting.

But this topic I heard is the anti-consumer one.

Last edited:

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Where did I say that was make or break it for sales? And they absolutely could lose sales over it. If someone was willing to buy a PS4 to play with friends and now they don't have to because of cross play, then they won't. It's really not a difficult concept to understand.

Mobile and PC are not direct competitors to consoles. A person isn't going to go to a store to buy a PS4 and then be like "I think I'll buy a phone instead"

LMAO. You're funny.

Saying Sony would lose customers over crossplay is conjecture! You have no proof of that and, like I stated, another hollow defense of a billion dollar corporation. Keep going though. I'm amused.

Sony's mindless faithful might believe they're only competing with MS (and to a lesser extent Nintendo), but I have news for you.

https://www.cgmagonline.com/2016/09/09/sony-andrew-house-pc-competitor-project-scorpio/

https://www.polygon.com/2016/9/9/12867004/ps4-pro-vs-pc-xbox-one-project-scorpio

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's clear you have absolutely no interest in console crossplay being allowed on PS4. Is that accurate?

You talk about Sony potentially losing sales if crossplay is enabled. Does that make you not want them to allow it? Would you prefer that they kept denying it?

No agenda here with these questions. I'm enjoying getting people's opinions on it!
I'm just looking at it from an objective point of view on why Sony isn't allowing it.

I don't mind in the slightest if it happens. Maybe it would end up being useful, but as of this moment I'm really not seeing the massive benefits people are implying are being held back by not allowing it. People are painting a picture that everyone on earth would benefit from crossplay happening, but in reality, it really just seems like a tiny fraction of people that would actually use it. Kind of like how people were (and still are) clamoring for BC, and despite it being available on Xbox One, there was an article about how only a tiny, tiny, percentage of people are actually using it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just looking at it from an objective point of view on why Sony isn't allowing it.

I don't mind in the slightest if it happens. Maybe it would end up being useful, but as of this moment I'm really not seeing the massive benefits people are implying are being held back by not allowing it. People are painting a picture that everyone on earth would benefit from crossplay happening, but in reality, it really just seems like a tiny fraction of people that would actually use it. Kind of like how people were (and still are) clamoring for BC, and despite it being available on Xbox One, there was an article about how only a tiny, tiny, percentage of people are actually using it.

Cool, good to know!

I'd use it, for what it's worth. I'd be using it right now in Fortnite if it was enabled. So I'm one PS4 (and Xbox and Switch) player that is grumpy about it. I want them to let developers enable it fully in their PS4 games. I'd absolutely love it and it would mean the world to me and my gaming friends who all game across different platforms. But I'm also one of those (apparently rare? I dunno!) people that loves having BC on Xbox One too. I've been playing Burnout Paradise, Vanquish, Catherine and Ninja Gaiden this month and having a blast. Happy to not have my PS3 and 360 hooked up still when I've got improved access to those games on my Xbox with other benefits. I don't think Sony has been anti-consumer but I really appreciate that Microsoft have been pretty actively pro-consumer with a lot of these things.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Cool, good to know!

I'd use it, for what it's worth. I'd be using it right now in Fortnite if it was enabled. So I'm one PS4 (and Xbox and Switch) player that is grumpy about it. I want them to let developers enable it fully in their PS4 games. I'd absolutely love it and it would mean the world to me and my gaming friends who all game across different platforms. But I'm also one of those (apparently rare? I dunno!) people that loves having BC on Xbox One too. I've been playing Burnout Paradise, Vanquish, Catherine and Ninja Gaiden this month and having a blast. Happy to not have my PS3 and 360 hooked up still when I've got improved access to those games on my Xbox with other benefits. I don't think Sony has been anti-consumer but I really appreciate that Microsoft have been pretty actively pro-consumer with a lot of these things.

I'd count pro-consumer just being a side effect of those companies/devs who want it, personally. It's pretty clear those companies are for it are pro-$$ and Sony is against it for the same reason. Our money is their primary goal, for better or worse.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'd count pro-consumer just being a side effect of those companies/devs who want it, personally. It's pretty clear those companies are for it are pro-$$ and Sony is against it for the same reason. Our money is their primary goal, for better or worse.

Too true. I think that there are arguments to be made that cross-play wouldn't be bad for Sony's business but I know you've argued that back and forth with other posters for days. Don't wanna drag that up again. Good chats!

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Yup but it's clear which company is doing a better job of winning me over rn

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Too true. I think that there are arguments to be made that cross-play wouldn't be bad for Sony's business but I know you've argued that back and forth with other posters for days. Don't wanna drag that up again. Good chats!

I've wanted and asked someone to tell me how it would be good for Sony, but all that anyone has been able come up with is good will. Maybe that could pay off for Sony somehow, but I'm not really seeing it. But yeah, I'm not really interested in going back into that hole again lol.

Yup but it's clear which company is doing a better job of winning me over rn
Just out of curiosity, what consoles do you own? Is Sony losing anything from you personally by not allowing it?

Just an honest question, not trying to debate.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Do you believe that would be the case should Microsoft's store become the market leader (or the only available option)?
No, but if there is only one option then PC isn't PC any longer.

Which is why even the slightest, remote possibility of that has to be fought at all costs.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
I've wanted and asked someone to tell me how it would be good for Sony, but all that anyone has been able come up with is good will. Maybe that could pay off for Sony somehow, but I'm not really seeing it. But yeah, I'm not really interested in going back into that hole again lol.

Just out of curiosity, what consoles do you own? Is Sony losing anything from you personally by not allowing it?

Just an honest question, not trying to debate.
I own all three (no Pro versions tho). Sony jeopardizes my support with their next system.

Btw, you should absolutely be supportive of companies trying to win over good will with good features :)

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
I think it's not going to happen this gen, maybe when next gen comes out they will open op crossplay between ps4 and switch/Xbox. At the moment everyone that is still planning to buy a console will go for the "I'll get the console my friends got." Since Sony sold more PS4's than MS sold Xone (X)'s, people are probably more interested in buying a ps4 atm.

I truly believe this is the most logic reason why Sony hasn't enabled cross-play with Xbox to this date.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

and

ah yes, the Playstation Curated UniverseTM
The amazingly curated experience where they already have crossplay with Android/IOS/PC
so curated
so many universes
so much care for children

-Cross progression would be nice. I have Overwatch on PS4 and friend wanted me to get it on PC. After I found out my progress didn't sync that was an easy pass. Can't explain that one since Blizzard lets you link your PSN account to your Blizzard account.
They wouldn't lose anything. I already explained this.
By Sony's own admission they see PC as a direct competitor and that's the reason they made PS4 Pro.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is doing whats best for them and Microsoft is doing whats best for them. Positive PR is a side effect for one company in this scenario, because like it or not and as stated countless times, neither care about unifying gamers, but only what makes business sense at the time for their own consumer base. If unifying gamers makes business and PR sense they will push it if not they will not, because they are competing for the same demographics.

Fundamentally its all about money. They all want you locked into their ecosystems first and foremost. This fuels their coffers, fuels their advertising, their software output, their services, their deals with other parties, their future hardware and fuels their PR.

Im probably repeating myself for the third time in this thread, but ask Phil Spencer/Shuhei whether he wants somebody, who does not own a console, to buy a PS4 to play with cross console friends or an Xbox to play with cross console friends. Because the answer would let you know that it all comes down to self-preservation, money and positive PR.

Oct 25, 2017

What I know, is that you aren't quoting Jim Ryan accurately. You're quoting the meme the original quote triggered.
And even if that were the gist, it's ignoring the specific Minecraft/Content Curation context of that statement, in the wake of the "Better Together" Minecraft update announcement.
Jim_Ryan said:
We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft – the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.

If you're going to suggest people use their own words against them, it would be good to at least have them correct.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is doing whats best for them and Microsoft is doing whats best for them. Positive PR is a side effect for one company in this scenario, because like it or not and as stated countless times, neither care about unifying gamers, but only what makes business sense at the time for their own consumer base. If unifying gamers makes business and PR sense they will push it if not they will not, because they are competing for the same demographics.

Fundamentally its all about money. They all want you locked into their ecosystems first and foremost. This fuels their coffers, fuels their advertising, their software output, their services, their deals with other parties, their future hardware and fuels their PR.

Im probably repeating myself for the third time in this thread, but ask Phil Spencer/Shuhei whether he wants somebody, who does not own a console, to buy a PS4 to play with cross console friends or an Xbox to play with cross console friends. Because the answer would let you know that it all comes down to self-preservation, money and positive PR.
Again, do the motives matter? You should be all for getting more features as a consumer

Oct 27, 2017
What I know, is that you aren't quoting Jim Ryan accurately. You're quoting the meme the original quote triggered.
And even if that were the gist, it's ignoring the specific Minecraft/Content Curation context of that statement, in the wake of the "Better Together" Minecraft update announcement.

If you're going to suggest people use their own words against them, it would be good to at least have them correct.

Please read my reply.

Also, they seem to have no qualms with connencting their ecosystem with cleanly PC folk. It's just those other unclean console hombres that are suspect. Who knows what they will do with the children?