• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But bantz on the internet says its true

VckjD6D.gif

I have so many questions

Is that dude wearing a gas mask/purple wig/ straight-jacket?

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Koreans seem fine with their pop artists dance moves ending up in videogames. Actual K-Pop artists literally just did a big collaboration purely as a videogame promotional tool.

Only reason Fortnite ain't implementing white people dances is that white people can't dance. Prove me wrong.

A sizable chunk of dances in Fortnite are "white people dances". As was established the last time a variant on this topic was made.
The hip-hop artists complaining about this aren't complaining about "cultrual erasure".
They're complaining they're not making money.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not intentional "erasure" or anything. It's just what happens when something starts entering the global pop media.
Fortnite is super popular, and to a lot of people it's their first exposure to the dance (especially to non-americans like me)

I'm indian, and I don't get riled up over things like yoga, meditation or ganja hitting the mainstream and getting subverted in stange ways... because it's just the natural side effect of an interconnected world.

I think calling it the "Fortnite Dance" is really stupid. But that's not something you can just go blame white people on.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Been kinda wondering about this for a while, so I'm glad someone decided to talk about it here.

Like I knew how, for example, dabbing already was sorta... something cultural turned into a generic "the teens are doing this" thing, so I had to imagine turning actual dance moves/dances into something that's generically Fortnite was an issue as well.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
There;s a sizable portion of white people who don't give a fuck about giving black people credit. You're righting the good fight but good luck getting through to gamers, of all people.

ynthrepic

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to imagine op actually getting pissed at children doing dances and not explicitly telling him it's not from fortnite. lol

In terms of epic gaining money from it, maybe these artists should try taking them to court if they believe they should get a cut, epic has stolen from a lot so I'm sure it can be a big case with lots of people involved

PubG/Bluehole taking Epic to court over the Battle Royale genre and another company over their Frying Pans are great examples of litigious bullshit. Copyrighting basic dance could easily end up on that level. Credit should be given where its due, but the idea of legal action over it is fucked because of the precedent it sets.

if it's free expression then why's epic charging for it

Same reason every skin/announcer pack/ theme cost money. Because its extra content that someone created for monetization in a free to play game.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I literally went to an NBA game last night where they had people doing the Carlton on camera. Most adults know where the dance comes from but I guarantee you most of the kids have no idea. Tell me how that is in any way the same thing as Elvis. I think it's more interesting to talk about is Elvis the bad guy here or is the system that allows him to be more popular than black artists? Because Elvis was a dope performer and artist regardless of whether you think he's worthy of praise because other blues and rock and roll artists existed before him. Is Epic to blame here or is it the audience who plays the games and doesn't know where a dance comes from?

Didn't Elvis himself made it a point to say that other people should get credit for rock and roll?

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I see your point. If they're direct moves taken from an artist who specifically popularized it, they should have their name associated to it in the game. I don't think they should be financially compensated though.

Maybe the solution in the mean time is to utilize YouTube to highlight the creative works of artists that you find in Fortnite if that's not already being done. Show the world (fortnite kids) the origins of the favourite dance moves.

Beyond kids and sports teams, is there even that many people who give a shit about replicating the dance moves in public? I can't imagine most adults giving much thought to the dances. I play fortnite and I don't even pay attention to any of the moves.

Its basically if you do the dance in public, and someone says "Thats from Fortnite!!!"

its basically this:

ed2.png

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I should go post fan art on Twitter without giving permission, that wont piss anyone off.

The OP states they dont want money but some credit and people are whinging about WHY SHOULD WE PAY THEM MONEY THEY DIDNT ASK FOR!

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It is weird seeing defense were MJ is getting shat on for not creating, but popularizing a dance move created by Jeffrey Daniels, another black artist, to justify using dance moves with giving credit, and effectively whitewashing it

Jeffrey Daniels didn't invent the Moonwalk either. You can find black and white clips of Blackside, the original Moonwalk.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I love how the OP doesn't mention the word copyright once, and the video says it's not about the money it's about giving some sort of credit

and the thread immediately goes to YOU CAN'T COPYRIGHT A DANCE MOVE

OP literally stated that the whole issue is that Epic are profiting from it.

You all really don't realize that the big issue is that Fortnite and EPIC is profiting off of this?

Its like you guys go out your way to make this okay.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
In the same thought as dances being difficult to credit, y'all couldn't look me in the eye and tell me an animator wasn't watching a YouTube video or went to a concert and saw someone perform when they came up with the corresponding emote. Some of them may be their own shit but I promise you that those animators have videos up of the dances they're being inspired by while they're animating.

At the very least they could credit some of those.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Don't all games with customization do this?

and TIL Dances can be copyright protected: https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/how-to-copyright-a-dance

This feels more like a means to avoid paying a copyright by naming it something else than what it is actually called opposed to "cultural erasure" by giving credit.

To those saying you cannot copyright a dance... well... that's not entirely true. According to the US Copyright Office:

"Choreography and pantomimes are also copyrightable dramatic works. Choreography is the composition and arrangement of dance movements and patterns usually intended to be accompanied by music. As distinct from choreography, pantomime is the art of imitating or acting out situations, characters, or other events. To be protected by copyright, pantomimes and choreography need not tell a story or be presented before an audience. Each work, however, must be fixed in a tangible medium of expression from which the work can be performed. Note: Sports games and physical-fitness exercises are not considered choreographic works."

This came up in the last thread but no, this isn't true. You can copyright a choreographed dance but you can't copyright a dance move. From the official document on the matter:

Individual movements or dance steps by themselves are not copyrightable, such as the basic waltz step, the hustle step, the grapevine, or the second position in classical ballet. The U.S. Copyright Office cannot register short dance routines consisting of only a few movements or steps with minor linear or spatial variations, even if a routine is novel or distinctive.

I'm not going to make a judgement on the OP's topic as a whole but looking at the problem as an issue of copyright is looking at it the wrong way.

razu1976

Oct 30, 2017
American company copies dances from Americans and it's stealing culture from where exactly? How is it not American culture already? I mean, these aren't ancient dances passed on through the ages. Or the pinnacle of the art of dance, to be fair.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Looking around a bit it looks like Gangnam Style is called Ride The Pony. So not credited either.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry you didn't invent the dab you now have to pay royalties to whoever did
I know you're trying to make a silly point but that's not how royalties work, and if you don't understand that then you can't understand the point some in this thread are trying to make.

Basically, the OP claiming he dabbed did not make him a profit. Me dabbing right now doesn't make me a profit so there are no royalties to be paid. If I were to make money off of something someone else created then the argument for royalties comes in. That's one of the issues here. Epic is profiting by selling something other people created, that's why people bring up royalties.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I'm not going to make a judgement on the OP's topic as a whole but looking at the problem as an issue of copyright is looking at it the wrong way.
That's not true that's actually wrong. This isn't a step to a dance this is the entire dance.

Skii

Oct 28, 2017
Trying to imagine op actually getting pissed at children doing dances and not explicitly telling him it's not from fortnite. lol

In terms of epic gaining money from it, maybe these artists should try taking them to court if they believe they should get a cut, epic has stolen from a lot so I'm sure it can be a big case with lots of people involved

Did you get permission to use dab as part of you username from the person that invented it?

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I showed my nephew that old Mickey cartoon about the haunted house, and when I said I love the part where the skeletons sweep their bodies without moving their head during a dance, he said it's a fortnite dance.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pointing out that white people can't dance aside, which they can't, it wouldn't hurt Fornite to give some credits. Paying though? Yeah, good luck sorting that out logistically.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In the same thought as dances being difficult to credit, y'all couldn't look me in the eye and tell me an animator wasn't watching a YouTube video or went to a concert and saw someone perform when they came up with the corresponding emote. Some of them may be their own shit but I promise you that those animators have videos up of the dances they're being inspired by while they're animating.

At the very least they could credit some of those.
That was definitely the case during world of Warcraft times but I imagine nowadays they're mostly mo-caped by professional dancers

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know you're trying to make a silly point but that's not how royalties work, and if you don't understand that then you can't understand the point some in this thread are trying to make.

Basically, the OP claiming he dabbed did not make him a profit. Me dabbing right now doesn't make me a profit so there are no royalties to be paid. If I were to make money off of something someone else created then the argument for royalties comes in. That's one of the issues here. Epic is profiting by selling something other people created, that's why people bring up royalties.

So it is their fault for bringing royalties up

Status
Not open for further replies.