• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its an example how GAMERS give more of a fuck about concept art from another gaming company than one company lifting art from Black Creatives.

Its a pretty cut and dry example. If its too hard to understand, then they didn't care to begin with.

And Im talking about Black Dances.

Im not talking about the fucking Elaine

Im not talking about the fucking Scrubs dance

Im not talking about eating fucking popcorn....

Because 1. When you do those specific actions listed above, NOBODY calls them "Fortnite Dances"

And 2. Historically, Black Creatives are more at risk and more likely to be damaged by this issue.
There's a shitload of other emotes in the game that are not Elaine or popcorn either that don't come from Black Creatives, actual dances, that are also refered by everyone as "Fortnite Dances"

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
The OP might not care about the other dances, they aren't his culture. He's upset about his culture being used in a way he doesn't like, and he's allowed to be upset about it, and he doesn't have to be upset about other culture's dances being appropriated in the same way.

If the dances aren't copyrighted by the artists then legally there is no issue here. That said, people can still be upset about their culture being appropriated in ways they personally don't like.

Oh I get being upset about it because it's your culture. I just don't understand how you could even go about arguing to get it changed/get credit due when that's your driving force behind your argument. It really has to be an everyone gets credit scenario, or no one gets credit scenario.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
So something such as Fortnite propelling these dances and help giving them exposure is now cultural erasure? Isn't this what happens when "culture" becomes "pop culture"?

I completely agree that the appropriate artists/creators of these dances should be credited but culture isn't about creating something for larger financial gain.

nschwartz626

Oct 27, 2017
Fully in favor of Epic making an effort to credit sources in-game when possible, and am not opposed to working out some kind of a compensation deal.

But as someone brought up earlier, that still doesn't seem to solve the major problem many posters have with these dances being referred to as "Fortnite dances." Even if BlocBoy JB's name is on the screen in a menu somewhere and he's getting a cut, millions of kids are obviously going to innocently refer to the emotes as "Fortnite dances," because that's where they were exposed to them. I'm not really sure it's possible at all to get around that. Do we expect kids to carry around works cited pages for pop culture?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I get being upset about it because it's your culture. I just don't understand how you could even go about arguing to get it changed/get credit due when that's your driving force behind your argument. It really has to be an everyone gets credit scenario, or no one gets credit scenario.
From Epic's point of view? Yes if they are going to give credit to black artists they should do so for all artists. From OP's point of view? Like I said, they don't have to care about cultures that they don't belong to.

You are making this a race thing, when it is not.
It's a discussion over culture, race is part of culture.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Yeah I don't know about copyrighting dance moves, honestly... like in general I think fewer things should be subject to copyright. It'd be cool if people gave credit, though maybe then they'd argue they deserve royalties based on using their name. I don't know.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Except again, Epic is not taking credit for the dance.

And they can sue for 'Scrolls' but that would be thrown out of court like most of Disney's copyright claims. And not let's pretend 'smaller players' haven't come up with BS copyright claims like the person who sued JK Rowlings.

You do not have to say you made this.

If someone posted someone's artwork on twitter, it doesnt matter if you didnt say you made it. The implication of posting it without giving someone credit is that you probably made thus, even though you didnt. Therefore, people will get angry if you dont give a source some credit. You do not have to make money for people to ask to cite your source of said image, nor do they have to or need to demand monetary compensation.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Capitalism is cultural erasure. I think the current young generation fell for capitalism because a few artists got paid well over the last 50 years, but essentially culture is created in isolation whereas capital's motives are the opposite, for everything to be universal.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reminded of clothing chains stealing indie clothing makers' and artists' designs without their consent, without giving credit and without any fear of repercussions. While OP specifically makes an argument about stealing from an entire community, I think it is easy to see the negative impact something like this can have on the creative individual. Being completely removed and eventually disassociated from something you created is inexcusable.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a discussion over culture, race is part of culture.
OP makes it sound like Epic are paying when they copy white artists, but not when they copy black artists. That's the only way you could spin this into a race issue ("fuck the blacks" as he implies). I get that the majority of the moves might be made by black people, but surely not all?

ynthrepic

Oct 25, 2017
Guessing the painting was copyrighted. Does this dance have copyright?

Being black has nothing to do with the reaction. Its a fucking dance dude. Dancing emotes have been in so many games, I don't think anyones ever thought "oh I wonder if that dance is copyrighted". How the fuck does that even work lol can't the animator just move the arms and legs slightly differently and whey suddenly its something totally different?

I'm guessing the ideal solution is putting the IRL source footage next to the animation in the store or whatever? Just like all the comparison vids on youtube just in the game?

Sounds right to me yet technically doesn't solve any of the problems in OP. Little kids are still gonna do all these dances and 'white people' are still going to say "hey thats the dance from Fortnite"

The dances used in games are from all over the place, from shuffling, memes and kpop to the dances from anime opening songs. One example from Guild Wars 2 (LoL also has a separate instance of this) was the war like bull-people using the Haka, a war dance originating from my countries Māori culture, and afaik it presence is usually seen as a positive thing to have more representation of a culture that Pakeha had tried to erase in the past, but that could also become problematic depending on the depiction. They wanted to have a space-haka in James Camerons Avatar, and the reaction was mostly that it was cringe.

What I want to know is why Soulja Boy thinks his wack gimmick dance moves would be featured in 2018 with or without him copyrighting them.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much, even if its sometimes frowned on in the hip hop community to straight up steal someones style/moves. Micheal Jackson did not invent "the moonwalk" but popularized it to the point where that's just what its known as. Im pretty sure there are hundreds of examples of people doing that move in media.

Did the Rocksteady Crew pay the Shaw Bros for all the Kung-fu moves they used?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that just globalization?, you know global village and all that
Nah it's definitely taking someone else's shit and not giving them credit for it. But it is also super common in entertainment. Still shitty though.

I think a nice way to have done it would have been to play a clip of the artists music for each dance.

razu1976

Oct 30, 2017
Lets try to not pretend that Black Culture is widely considered American culture.....

Yeah by definition it is, but we gonna ignore the vast amount of racist white majority who otherize us to the point of creating a "Black Culture" sub-category?

Its funny how y'all try to include us in the AMERICAN story whenever you want to attack us for taking on our own identity

An Identity we had to create because we weren't included in the first place.....

I'm English, it's just my observation. I'm not attacking anyone for taking an identity and I'm sorry if I caused any offence. I genuinely don't distinguish American cultural output based on ethnic descent. It'd be pretty difficult as it's a country with such a diverse population, which makes it all the more weird that there are so many race problems.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If someone posted someone's artwork on twitter, it doesnt matter if you didnt say you made it. The implication of posting it without giving someone credit is that you probably made thus, even though you didnt. Therefore, people will get angry if you dont give a source some credit. You do not have to make money for people to ask to cite your source of said image, nor do they have to or need to demand monetary compensation.
That's not true, otherwise every time someone posted a gif or image here or on imgur there would be an expectation of giving credit, there isn't.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

Except artwork most of the time can be proven ownership by the original version. Dance isn't that simple unless you're just going to name the dance itself.

StoryofSouls

Oct 27, 2017
east coast, usa
people need to put more effort into learning the culture if they want to have an informed opinion.

i flipped through the thread a bit and saw a lot of dismissive comments.

popular black dances are a lot like popular memes for the black/hip hop community.

most dances have an extremely popular song tied to it these days.

if you're going to have an opinion, do your home work.

LinkedBeast

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 17, 2018

They don't want to pay them.

They don't want to give them proper credit.

So the result is things that are associated with our culture gets loaned out wholesale and entirely re-appropriated to mass audiences with no reverance for the source.

I can't even watch NBA without literally every single kid doing these on camera. These kids go perform for their parents and they laugh and clap while they praise Fortnite for its creativity, totally unaware how this all stems from Black Culture at the source.

Its a continuation of the same cultural erasure that has happened throughout history, esp in regards to Hip-Hop.

Are white kids not allowed to do black dances?.... No, nobody is saying that. We're saying give us our damn credit. Stop whitewashing our creations and show people the source.

Fortnite makes money off of this stuff. JB Blocboy even says he don't even care about the money, he just wants the credit. Its one or the other, but this is just ridiculous.

I should be able to 'shoot' in public without someone saying "HAHA, Its that dance from Fortnite!" Thats really fucking annoying to hear from white people.

And before you say "FoRtNiTe MaDe tHeM PoPuLaR"....... No, these dances made it to Fortnite BECAUSE they were already popular. You got it backwards.

What would make this even worse is Are there even black devs working on Fortnite? I could understand a little if they added some of this stuff in, but if EPIC is primarily a white development company, that makes all this shit even more devious and suspect

Just like the YT comment says : Cause everything we do is Ghetto until they find it profitable, and then it's Creative

You dropped facts, been that way since forever go back to rock and other things too

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP makes it sound like Epic are paying when they copy white artists, but not when they copy black artists. That's the only way you could spin this into a race issue ("fuck the blacks" as he implies). I get that the majority of the moves might be made by black people, but surely not all?
No, OP is just talking about their own culture, which is black culture. They doesn't have to care about other cultures being appropriated. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, why don't you ask them? Maybe they don't feel like they can say whether or not another culture that they don't belong to is being appropriated.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
We've had this discussion countless times. If an artist wants to be paid for their dance, they can take it to court. It won't hold.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
We've had this discussion countless times. If a company wants to be sell a dance, they can make their own. It won't sell.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly Fortnite, PUBG, Blackout, all these games and/or modes are just showing how creatively bankrupt this industry is, kinda like Hollywood.
Battle Royale genre is the most interesting thing in competitive games right now and far from creatively bankrupt. The 3 games you mentioned play completely different. As for the dances, give them credit. Why rename a dance?

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
I see what you did but it doesn't negate my point.

Unless these dances are protected by law, this is legally a non-issue
something can be legally a non-issue and still be morally debatable.

i also think that too many people are seeing this as an isolated incident and not another point in a trend of non-black people getting praise for doing things that black people created and have been doing for years/decades/centuries

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It really is fucked up. All of these dance moves just become "the Fortnite dance with the _____" the moment they're put up there.

Epic needs to retroactively start crediting creators and paying them what they're owed. At the bare minimum they need to credit people properly.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
For a site, GAF included, that continually hates copyright laws it's funny seeing it being brought up as a disingenuous solution.

It's almost like some of y'all don't care about the actual point. Almost.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
I'm shaking my head at this whole thread. DigitalOp is trying really hard to make a good case here but a lot of you are trying to either derail it or make it about something it's not. Don't even get me started on the influx of random junior accounts trolling this thread too. Bring up culture or women issues in video games and these dudes come out of the woodwork like bees to honey thinking they are slick or funny.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't know about copyrighting dance moves, honestly... like in general I think fewer things should be subject to copyright. It'd be cool if people gave credit, though maybe then they'd argue they deserve royalties based on using their name. I don't know.

Pretty much this. I don't really blame them for that, but the dance names could have been clever references.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Being black has nothing to do with the reaction. Its a fucking dance dude. Dancing emotes have been in so many games, I don't think anyones ever thought "oh I wonder if that dance is copyrighted". How the fuck does that even work lol can't the animator just move the arms and legs slightly differently and whey suddenly its something totally different?
Well when white people take ownership and profit off the work of black artists it's pretty relevant. That's the story of this country, we never let minorities have anything. We encroach on their spaces, lift from their culture, and then on top of all that we treat them like shit, and then on top of that people have the audacity to say we don't.
I'm shaking my head at this whole thread. DigitalOp is trying really hard to make a good case here but a lot of you are trying to either derail it or make it about something it's not. Don't even get me started on the influx of random junior accounts trolling this thread too. Bring up culture or women issues in video games and these dudes come out of the woodwork like bees to honey thinking they are slick or funny.
DigitalOp always makes great threads and posts

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
What does the law have to do with cultural erasure and giving credit where credit is due? The creator highlighted in the video even said he doesn't care about the money, he just wants respect. We just want respect.

Calling it 'cultural erasure' is hypobolic to the extent that this topic was never going to taking seriously.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Whenever this topic comes up I just state my opinion on it.

This is cultural appropriation, no ifs ands or butts. Is it really possible to pay these people? Maybe maybe not. But they can absolutely give credit to where they lifted the dances from.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Pointing out that white people can't dance aside, which they can't, it wouldn't hurt Fornite to give some credits. Paying though? Yeah, good luck sorting that out logistically.

Of course white people CAN dance...some well enough to make a living from it, unbelievable, I know.... , same as black people CAN swim and dogs CAN look up (sorry, Big Al).
Some of the generalisation and ignorant vitriol that gets posted around here is bordering on the rediculous sometimes.

Epic should credit the stuff they are "paying homage to" but I am not sure where this all stands, legally. Wouldn't the dances by covered by the fair use/parody laws?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Calling it 'cultural erasure' is hypobolic to the extent that this topic was never going to taking seriously.
Saying that's kids calling these dances "Fortnite dances" is cultural erasure? Yeah, that's a little far.

Saying that Epic not acknowledging the source or who popularized the dance is cultural erasure? I think there is a pretty good case to call cultural erasure there.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Paladins comes out but y'all are quick to call it an overwatch clone and get up in arms about it but as soon as a business takes a dance from a black man without crediting or referencing him, it's okay. Gotcha.

Status
Not open for further replies.