• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Update 4: Google Lawsuit

Update 3: Google Removal
From the Verge:

www.theverge.com

Fortnite for Android has also been kicked off the Google Play Store

First Apple banned Fortnite, now Google has, too. It’s been quite a day.

Now, Google is in the conversation. As with Apple, Google requires that games use the Google Play system for in-app purchases. Although the Play Store's rules are somewhat more lax than Apple's when it comes to in-app purchases, Google does draw the line at games. It's quite clear-cut: "Developers offering products within a game downloaded on Google Play or providing access to game content must use Google Play In-app Billing as the method of payment." Google's system takes a 30 percent cut, just as Apple's does.

Update 2: They've now filed a lawsuit:

Original:

Statement from Apple via The Verge:
Today, Epic Games took the unfortunate step of violating the App Store guidelines that are applied equally to every developer and designed to keep the store safe for our users. As a result their Fortnite app has been removed from the store. Epic enabled a feature in its app which was not reviewed or approved by Apple, and they did so with the express intent of violating the App Store guidelines regarding in-app payments that apply to every developer who sells digital goods or services.

Epic has had apps on the App Store for a decade, and have benefited from the App Store ecosystem - including it's tools, testing, and distribution that Apple provides to all developers. Epic agreed to the App Store terms and guidelines freely and we're glad they've built such a successful business on the App Store. The fact that their business interests now lead them to push for a special arrangement does not change the fact that these guidelines create a level playing field for all developers and make the store safe for all users. We will make every effort to work with Epic to resolve these violations so they can return Fortnite to the App Store.

Last edited by a moderator:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Context: This is due to the recent option put through by Epic Games to buy V-Bucks directly from them, skipping Apple fees

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
This is kinda what Epic wanted, take the hit for a few days until a legion of people go against Apple for removing it from iOS.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
1. Corporations are not your friends
2. Epic will obviously blink and walk it back, the question is how long will they go before that

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Lmao I wonder how silly Epic feels after that act of bravado now. Should've just handled it in court. Both sides are in the wrong.

Oct 29, 2017
Lol wow. That's blatant. What did they expect? I guess the intent was to get taken down and force the issue.

Hopefully the fallout from this makes it possible for xCloud to get back on iOS as well.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think this was deliberate on Epic's part, combined with what MS is saying I think they're pressuring Apple to make a move.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Lmao. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. What were they expecting?

Edit: Yes I realize that this was intentional. Still think this won't go the way Epic thinks it will.

Last edited:

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit.

This is a strategic political move from Epic Games. They know exactly what they're doing.

Now ALL cloud gaming services AND the biggest game in the world are only available on Android.

This feels like the start of a lot of dominoes falling that will lead to Apple being forced to change their App Store policies.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To the surprise of literally no-one. And to completely underline that this is a publicity stunt:

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Well good thing I don't really care for mobile gaming cause I don't like how Apple is handling stuff lately.