• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I searched but didn't find a thread about this

A new SuperData report (via GamesIndustry.biz) shows that Fortnite has made more than $1 billion off in-game purchases alone. The report also claimed Fortnite is only growing in popularity overall, with an upward trend since October 2017 that saw a huge spike in February that only started slowing in May while still continuing upwards. That slowed May growth was still good enough for a whopping $318 million in revenue.

At this point, it's essentially common knowledge that Fortnite is an outrageously successful video game. But market research firm SuperData Research has now put another quantitative measure on just how successful Fortnite is.

A new SuperData report (via GamesIndustry.biz) shows that Fortnite has made more than $1 billion off in-game purchases alone. The report also claimed Fortnite is only growing in popularity overall, with an upward trend since October 2017 that saw a huge spike in February that only started slowing in May while still continuing upwards. That slowed May growth was still good enough for a whopping $318 million in revenue.

Epic Games may soon have even more opportunities to make money off in-game Fortnite purchases too, as Fortnite may soon be getting vehicle skins and players are likely about to get the opportunity to gift in-game items to one another. Plus, Epic will soon start generating Fortnite revenue outside of the game entirely once Funko's Fortnite merchandise hits the market.
http://me.ign.com/en/pc/150747/news/fortnite-has-reportedly-made-over-1-billion-from-in-game-pur

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I assume they're excluding the popular $40 Save The World purchase given how that's listed.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when Battle Royal was first released, some people didn't seem to expect it to go anywhere.

Oct 27, 2017
Easy when most purchases are over $5.

I've really enjoyed the game but everything is too expensive for what your actually getting. Only thing of value is the battle pass imo.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fortnite really has supplanted itself as one of the Big Two in terms of Battle Royale-based games, especially since they've been able to capitalize on the issues that PUBG is facing.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
The Funko Pops are perfect for this game with all the different BR and STW skins. My spending is limited to Battle Passes and skins I can purchase with my Paragon refund, I'm set for a good while.

The game is an incredible success story, congratulations to Epic.

Now they just need to figure out their competitive situation. No Battle Royale game has gotten it right as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The success of Fortnite has been crazy. It's weird to think that Save the World hitting 1 million players when that first launched seemed big compared to what it is now.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
hey team, does anyone know if Fortnite makes more than the most successful mobile games?

Oct 29, 2017
Tbh Fornite's battle pass is the best microtransaction I've ever seen. The game is free and if you buy the battle pass and play the game it gives you enough credits to buy future battle passes for no additional charge.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
and you want EA to give up about (microtransactions) in their games

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is there similar reports for PUBG? Want to see how they compare.

Meanwhile, the battle royale genre continues to be the most popular for streaming, with viewers having watched nearly 700 million hours – 83 percent of which were from Fortnite – of battle royale gaming in May. That far outpaced the number-two genre, MOBAs, which racked up 275 million hours of viewing time.
^that is crazy.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
It's kind of crazy that a game made to show off UE4 tech is probably making them more money that all the royalties and the marketplace transactions combined.
On top of that this game was totally average before they added the battle royal mode and probably would have flopped.
I hope the profit sharing is good at Epic. Everyone should be getting 100k bonuses at least.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
What's really surprising to me is the amount of people that buy all 100 Tier Levels at the Start of the Season. Season 3 and 4 were both full of people rocking the Final Tier 100 skin, which means that they must have bought 90-100 Tiers for money and that's 1.50$ per Tier.

Absolutely crazy either way.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Damn that's just the ingame microtransactions excluding the money from selling the many Save The World editions which released before the BR mode too

Last edited:

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is the biggest phenomenon since what , Call of Duty from CoD4-BlackOps2 era .

EPIC just insured they can take any risks they want with their talent pool going forward . Time to make a mmorpg that topples WoW.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I played Fortnite for 1 hour and was bored to the point of tears.

I don't understand Gen-Z kids and their obsession with these games.

gesicht

Oct 25, 2017
i know this will not be a popular opinion but let me say "fuck fortnite" and all its microtransaction bullshit.