• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zone

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I meant a successful one in the same scale as PUBG. I even mentioned King of the Kill in my post.

To be fair, H1Z1 King of the Kill was successful at one point that they were hitting over 100k viewers on Twitch with big streamers like Summit, Doc, Ninja and more that streamed it before PUBG became a thing.

I feel like they weren't fast enough to capitalise on the success and took too long which is why PUBG is now #1. I believe I read an article that the Zombie aspect of the game was meant to come out in 2016 on Xbox One and PS4 and it never did. It's a shame since the game plays similarly to Fortnite minus the building and would've been really good.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Its holding incredibly strong on PC with a larger viewership on Twtich than PUBG too.
I don't think that Fortnite has a larger viewership on Twitch than PUBG does.
PubG is just low quality compared to it and popularity in recent weeks shows that.
I believe that PUBG has many more concurrent players than Fortnite, and many more Twitch viewers on average. Are you fellas just checking Twitch right before you make these posts, and using the numbers you see in that moment as your metric for gauging PUBG's popularity? I don't think those numbers tell the whole story:
https://sullygnome.com/game/Fortnite
https://sullygnome.com/game/PLAYERUNKNOWNS_BATTLEGROUNDS

Last edited:

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
You guys hating on the building and wanting it removed from the BR mode are craaaaazy.

The building mechanics add a completely new twist to PvP shooters; The counter play and skill gap that arises as you learn how to build more effectively mid combat is something you cannot find in any other game. The building mechanics more than make up for the poor shooting mechanics for me and obviously millions of others (and thankfully they are working on a new shooting system that removes bloom). Having 2 solid players going at it in Fortnite is the type of exchange that isn't gonna get old for me anytime soon.

I have an entire list of reasons beyond just the building as to why I prefer Fortnite over a game like PUBG and why I think it's better than every other BR style game right now... It's an awesome game that's only going to get better given the incredible communication and support from Epic so far.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's a ton of fun, been playing it daily with some friends who usually doesn't play a lot of games.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they handled the Battle Pass very well. Especially if you play it a lot you get a lot out of the Battle Pass for $10 especially that you can see ahead of time what you will unlock for reaching the next tiers and the Battle Pass lasts what like 90 days?

Whereas nowadays in other games full retail $60 games mind you. Spending $10 in it would get you a few lootboxes with random little crap
I thought it was an amazing deal but it's only an ok one. Honestly, Epic games should be getting more flak for how expensive the microtansactions are. Skins costing $8-$20, Emotes/dances from $2-$8, and battlepass being such a grind almost requiring a person to log-in every day completing the challenges if you want get to lvl 70 w/o paying extra where a tier cost $1.50 to move up.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I guess I should try it now. I tend to not pay attention to these types of games.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was an amazing deal but it's only an ok one. Honestly, Epic games should be getting more flak for how expensive the microtansactions are. Skins costing $8-$20, Emotes/dances from $2-$8, and battlepass being such a grind almost requiring a person to log-in every day completing the challenges if you want get to lvl 70 w/o paying extra where a tier cost $1.50 to move up.

Honestly, those prices really aren't that bad for items that you get to choose what you want, considering how much it would cost in the loot-box centric games. Especially when this game is F2P with constant free updates in comparison to paid games containing the gambling mechanics.

I could not get into this game my first go round with it, however, their pricing model is not so bad when all things are considered based on other games.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I see the battle pass as coming with $10 of value right off the bat, and everything else you're able to unlock as being extra. I think thats the best way to look at it. The tier cost is just whale hunting, and deserves some criticism, sure, but if people want to drop $100 per season to unlock everything right away, i don't want to tell them how to spend their money. To some, this game will be worth that. The cosmetics are costly, but it is the monetization of a video game done right, lets not lose sight of that. Especially one that has seen such fantastic support in its 4 months of being on the market. From optimization, to new content, to communication from the development team, they've really been killing it despite a few small hiccups.

I do also have a feeling the next pass will be $20 though.

Daisya

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wish I could enjoy this new battle royal fad but I don't see the appeal. I tried 2 games of fortnite on pc and didn't like it at all. Always knew i was a weird one. >.>

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that Fortnite has a larger viewership on Twitch than PUBG does.
G8AVEyb.jpg

You may be right in this not telling the entire story, but it certainly shows that Fortnite has a real popularity.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
PUBG just seems so dreary compared to Fornite. It's all I play now on my XBX. The building aspect is a brilliance that will further separate the two, but the shooting is plenty fun.

Also most of my youtube time is spent on watching Fortnite vids lol.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Yup. Tons of people playing. Bluehole should be kicking themselves that they didnt also put PUBG on PS4 right away. That is a LOT of people getting invested in Fortnite.

I'd rather say Sony should be kicking themselves for not caring about PUBG earlier. If I were MS, I would keep that game under game preview until the end of 2019.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Tons of people playing. Bluehole should be kicking themselves that they didnt also put PUBG on PS4 right away. That is a LOT of people getting invested in Fortnite.
I can't wait for PUBG to hit PS4, I do watch an embarrassing amount of Twitch or YouTube highlights of the game, but a part of me is glad we're likely going to skip the messy pre-release versions. I know people are still having fun, but it is rough.

Last edited:

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally, I've seen a number of streamers, big and small, shift from PUBG to Fortnite. Some still play both. The ones who switched for good (most notably Grimmmz) would quite likely tell you that Fortnite is more appealing to stream because it has more action/less camping and fewer incidents of BS.

There's room for both games, though, because PUBG has a distinctly different feel. It's slower, bigger, and simmier. It's also far jankier, which begs the question -- What happens to PUBG when a talented, well resourced studio releases a more direct competitor to PUBG that is far more polished?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It's hardly surprising that Fortnite is doing well. It not only takes an incredibly successful formula from PUBG, it not only is free to play, it not only is on every platform, but it's also a fundamentally better game than PUBG. It works better and it plays better and, most impressively, it is getting better far faster than PUBG is. It feels more finished, despite still technically being part of an early access game, than PUBG does.

I can understand why PUBG is still very popular, partially due to its gritty theme and realistic style, partly because it was there first, but having played a fair bit of Fortnite, I can't go back to the camp fest of PUBG.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
G8AVEyb.jpg

You may be right in this not telling the entire story, but it certainly shows that Fortnite has a real popularity.
I don't mean to imply that Fortnite's popularity is anything less than explosive! And Fortnite/Epic deserve it. Their support of Fortnite has been absolutely stellar and it's an appreciably unique game within its genre and subgenre both. I'm just trying to clear up what seems to be a pretty common misconception, because that ^ screenshot, as you admitted, doesn't tell the full story. Fortnite is occasionally above PUBG, but it's usually the other way around, and PUBG averages a lot more viewers (with higher peaks and higher lows both).

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I like it more than pubg myself. Pubg is too try hard imo and Fortnite just feels more lighthearted.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The building is my favorite part of the game!

I love just going up on a mountain with my squad and building a badass metal base that I worked hard to farm materials for.

And use that structure to win the game by towering over everyone.

I love it. I wish there was a PvP mode where 1 team built a base and the other attacked.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally, I've seen a number of streamers, big and small, shift from PUBG to Fortnite. Some still play both. The ones who switched for good (most notably Grimmmz) would quite likely tell you that Fortnite is more appealing to stream because it has more action/less camping and fewer incidents of BS.

There's room for both games, though, because PUBG has a distinctly different feel. It's slower, bigger, and simmier. It's also far jankier, which begs the question -- What happens to PUBG when a talented, well resourced studio releases a more direct competitor to PUBG that is far more polished?
If the next Battlefield doesnt have a battle royale, then EA has dropped the ball. Dice is the one developer that has everything in place to get a AAA Battle Royale ASAP.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to imply that Fortnite's popularity is anything less than explosive! And Fortnite/Epic deserve it. Their support of Fortnite has been absolutely stellar and it's an appreciably unique game within its genre and subgenre both. I'm just trying to clear up what seems to be a pretty common misconception, because that ^ screenshot, as you admitted, doesn't tell the full story. Fortnite is occasionally above PUBG, but it's usually the other way around, and PUBG's peak viewerships and lows both are quite a bit higher.
No, its good to know, i'll use the metrics you posted earlier. Every time i've popped by Twitches main pages I've seen that Fortnite had the stronger viewership, but admittedly i don't go there too often and clearly wasn't getting an accurate representation. Some of my reply was certainly aimed at others who seem to oddly be trying to discredit Fortnites success, or downplay it in strange ways, both these games can coexist comfortably without one being threatened. They both ultimately are quite unique from one another despite being built from the same mold.

Oct 25, 2017
NC
My life has been nothing but fornite ever since the battle Royale mode released.

I am one with the bush and the bush is with me.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
Fortnite is just a fun game with light hearted feel to it. The constant updates, building mechanics, and polish puts it way ahead of PUGB for me.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Fortnite an online game that doesn't require Plus? That alone should give the game a boost.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved my short time with it but the gunplay sort of killed it for me. (And pubg). Any updates on the gunplay?

Borocor

Oct 27, 2017
Fortnight is completely missing the tension that PUBG provides, which to me is the key element of the game. The cartoony graphics and the building aspect mean you almost always know where players are at the end-game, which is just boring.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
It is incredibly fun, we play it just about every night and are terrible at it but have a great time regardless.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I loved my short time with it but the gunplay sort of killed it for me. (And pubg). Any updates on the gunplay?

It had a big update that really improves collision detection and the feel of shooting someone.
It depends on what you mean by gunplay, which is a weird phrase really

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Never played the game but it's undoubtedly fun to watch. Some quality streamers out there too who are great at this game.

CDNThe3rd, HighDistortion, CaMiLLs and Dakotaz are my favourites to watch.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
FTP, pretty fun game, genre of game is new and interesting. People wanted to play PUBG, but only had Fornite. Despite some lack of polish, it is a very fun game.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Deserved. Really well made BR game with way more polish than the other. I've played them all plenty on PC and it became my favorite because it's more fun and faster paced. PvE is actually not bad as well.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I realised it was doing well when the first trophy you unlock in the save the world mode's rarity dropped from like 99% of players to 5%.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I have never played, but I have seen some unfortunate videos from time to time. It is just annoying when a door won't close, weapon won't get picked up, etc in intense/unknown situations.

Yeah it's mega janky. Still fun.
Fortnite has improved leaps and bounds since it first came out

Nathan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
France
I'm not a big FPS player (or not anymore) but I really like Fortnite. Random pros: Great support from Epic, can run at 60fps on my toaster, 50 vs 50 was very cool.

Oct 25, 2017
I realised it was doing well when the first trophy you unlock in the save the world mode's rarity dropped from like 99% of players to 5%.

Hahaha, really???

Anyways, glad to see it is doing well. Epic is really putting a lot of effort into the game, and really communicating with their playerbase. They try to not keep people in the dark. Even when their servers were getting hit by that new bug, they went on reddit and explained the situation. They deserve all the success.

Plus there is a new bullet physics model that is being tested right now. People got to play it and said its really good.

Özgür

Nov 24, 2017
Note that you also don't need PS+ to play Fortnite BR online. Even if PUBG made its way to PS4, it would require PS+ as it's a paid game. Fortnite has a huge advantage here.

I think for this reason fortnite reaches a very broad audience on ps4. especially some europe and middle east countries where ps+ penetration are lower.