• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Man this just reinforces how good of a move MS made by getting PUBG first. People want it so bad they will go to the first alternative available.
Right, Fortnite is also #1 on Xbox one, PUBG is sitting 5-6th depending on which territory.
rMzSNpd.png
Yes, we had an entire conversation about the viewership differences between the two platforms and discussed that one imagine didn't paint the entire picture, but merely illustrated that Fortnite has had a fantastic success.

Last edited:

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
i like both games, but if i had to choose one. Fortnite because it's far more polished, has faster updates and fixes and new stuff, and i prefer the faster pacing with all the action since PUBG maps are so big and more campy and getting in and out of games is very quick.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Did they make a battle royale mode without the building aspect? I dont like that you can just throw up a wall whenever you get shot at.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Deserved, fantastic support from EPIC and it's pretty much all that my friends seem to play nowadays, instead of CoD, FIFA or Destiny, so must be doing something right to pull them away from those, when plenty of games have failed.
Personally kinda got bored with it after playing it a lot. Will probably jump back in when they add more to the map.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy to think they spent what, 6 years developing the main PvE game? And it's a complete non entity compared to Battle Royale player-base wise.

Though that probably has to do in part with PvE not being free to play yet.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gave it a fair shake. It's really, really bad. The shooting is awful and the build-first shoot-second mechanics are counter-intuitive and unfun. I realize I may be in the minority here but in my opinion its a bad game.

Agreed. Already stopped playing awhile before PUBG hit Xbone, will never touch it again. I bought the paid version of Fortnite day one.

Same complaints you have. Shooting is garbage, building sucks. Imho anyway. Especially the shooting, yuck.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy to think they spent what, 6 years developing the main PvE game? And it's a complete non entity compared to Battle Royale player-base wise.

Though that probably has to do in part with PvE not being free to play yet.

I've been patiently waiting on the PvE mode, I almost bought into it but I wasn't even sure if I'd like it, especially due to complaints people had with some of it's design decisions (maybe a micro transaction complaint that must have effected gameplay. I'll look it up. Edit: Darn, old site is down).

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great game. I prefer it to PUBG,just have more fun playing it, both are great though.

The BR genre is just so much more compelling than the old TDM shooter model. Every game is like a little movie starring you.

Regarding fortnite, after playing BR Im now actually excited for the PvE. I think BR is going to be PvEs greatest marketing tool.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Epic striking while the iron was hot and had no competition on consoles was the smartest thing they ever done. Especially when it is free to play. I bet by the end of things. The BR side will eclipse any amount of money the coop side gets ten-fold

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's neat. Hopefully that reflects on the financial side for epic games, they do deserve money for that mode.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved. I have pubg on Xbox and enjoy it but I definitely prefer Fort Nite due to its better performance on consoles, better controls imo and better aiming and fluidity (even though fort nite has aiming issues as well).

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I would expect that a game, where you can play one of the best parts of for free, would be popular.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hyperbole most likely loool

But I understand what he's implying once pubg arrives on Ps4, Fortnite scene will be too big already which will make pubg less attractive, plus it's paid.

Exactly. PUBG will do well once it comes to PS4 but Fortnite getting in the door first on PS4 means a lot of people will get invested in Fortnite first. I'd expect a softer reception on PS4 by the time it gets there.

Does anyone play the original horde mode, or has the battlegrounds mode become the default mode?

Battle Royale is the attraction but yes there still is a crowd for regular Fortnite. The main game is actually pretty fun on its own merits and more directly leans on getting intimate with the building mechanics.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Have they actually showed any preview footage of the new ballistic changes? If they can change the gunplay to replicate Arma/PUBG I'll be back in, because right now I'm just not a fan of how guns have this almost laser tag like feel to them. Makes the shooting feel less skillful and more about just being the person that spots first and has the hair trigger reaction rather than planning on leading and bullet control.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
More shocking to me is Destiny 2 being so low on that list and on Twitch nowadays. Destiny 1 was always near the top on both. Bungie really killed their own momentum with those dumb core game changes.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
More shocking to me is Destiny 2 being so low on that list and on Twitch nowadays. Destiny 1 was always near the top on both. Bungie really killed their own momentum with those dumb core game changes.
Most of the big Destiny streamers are playing PUBG or Fortnite now. The lack of content kind of killed it for streamers.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Ya know what I never understood, why these super popular streamer games have zero appeal to me. I've been a hardcore gamer for a long time, since the 80s. I've seen what gaming trends come into play over there past few decades. When streaming really took hold, League of Legends and Dota were popping. I very much dislike Mobas though. They don't grab me whatsoever so I never put more than a hour into either of em. Now with pubg and fortnite, it's the same thing. I really dislike them and find them horribly boring. I still very much enjoy other shooters though. So it's either just an odd coincidence that these games are being streamed like crazy and I just don't happen to dig em, or there's something that LoL, dota, pubg and fortnite all do that my gaming brain doesn't care for. My friends and I all play other things online. Just not these ultra popular titles.

Oct 27, 2017
Ya know what I never understood, why these super popular streamer games have zero appeal to me. I've been a hardcore gamer for a long time, since the 80s. I've seen what gaming trends come into play over there past few decades. When streaming really took hold, League of Legends and Dota were popping. I very much dislike Mobas though. They don't grab me whatsoever so I never put more than a hour into either of em. Now with pubg and fortnite, it's the same thing. I really dislike them and find them horribly boring. I still very much enjoy other shooters though. So it's either just an odd coincidence that these games are being streamed like crazy and I just don't happen to dig em, or there's something that LoL, dota, pubg and fortnite all do that my gaming brain doesn't care for. My friends and I all play other things online. Just not these ultra popular titles.

Everything you just said, I share with you to the 'T', and know exactly what you mean.

Yet like anything in gaming, I do find interest in reading about it.

Last edited:

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hyperbole most likely loool

But I understand what he's implying once pubg arrives on Ps4, Fortnite scene will be too big already which will make pubg less attractive, plus it's paid.
I can't say PUBG developers is losing much sleep over getting softer reception, especially considering its a paid game and probably racking in more money than Fortnite.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
This game is very popular on all platforms right now. BR is a trending, including that this mode is free. If Epic adds new maps and vehicles, this game will explode even more.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
I thought it was an amazing deal but it's only an ok one. Honestly, Epic games should be getting more flak for how expensive the microtansactions are. Skins costing $8-$20, Emotes/dances from $2-$8, and battlepass being such a grind almost requiring a person to log-in every day completing the challenges if you want get to lvl 70 w/o paying extra where a tier cost $1.50 to move up.
They play alot they managed also the free VBucks you earn from some tiers in Battle Pass you can use it towards moving up a tier.

They give 3 months to do it lots of time, I recommend only using VBucks to go up tiers on the last days. Even if you don't reach max level 70 the amount of cosmetics and other goodies you earned from it by the end of the Battle Pass definitely more than $10 worth

And as for the separate store we just avoid them the Battle Pass content is more than enough

Last edited:

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
many game designers and publishers are kicking themselves in the nuts thinking about how simple it really was to make an new incredibly successfull franchise.

all those sleepless nights thinking about new and interesting designs and mechanics..when in the end people wanted what basically amounts to a mod to your typical tps/fps..just one little tweak...it's kind of amazing

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They play alot they managed also the free VBucks you earn from some tiers in Battle Pass you can use it towards moving up a tier.

They give 3 months to do it lots of time, I recommend only using VBucks to go up tiers on the last days. Even if you don't reach max level 70 the amount of cosmetics and other goodies you earned from it by the end of the Battle Pass definitely more than $10 worth

Yeah, you can legit actually just make your money back (well V-bucks) just by playing the game after you buy your Battle Pass.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I gave it a fair shake. It's really, really bad. The shooting is awful and the build-first shoot-second mechanics are counter-intuitive and unfun. I realize I may be in the minority here but in my opinion its a bad game.

This is my take from the game too. Also 3rd person sucks in these games. PUBG really took off once the first person servers came online. Being able to camp a corner/wall without showing yourself is a trash gameplay mechanic in these types of games imo.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
many game designers and publishers are kicking themselves in the nuts thinking about how simple it really was to make an new incredibly successfull franchise.

all those sleepless nights thinking about new and interesting designs and mechanics..when in the end people wanted what basically amounts to a mod to your typical tps/fps..just one little tweak...it's kind of amazing

When you think about it like that it is kind of sad, but vs MP is the best way to extend the life of a game. If you don't even have to make content for it yourself and allow others to do the work it can = huge success (Minecraft + mods or built worlds, VRChat seems to be picking up a lot of steam, and best of both worlds Bethesda games with their mods that fix the game and make the game a lot more unique with selectively chosen mods).