• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea how fortnite worked so when I first played, I made it to the top 25 and felt good. Then I got murked by a sniper. I was WTF? How?? Then I saw the person built a platform. No clue that you could do that lol

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
They just need to tighten up the shooting (they are) and need to add a cooldown to building walls in combat for me to really get into it.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Well deserved, I purchased the founders pack in the January sale and it's fucking great, I play the PvE side of things wheras my nephews bash the BR mode and the consensus is the game is surprisingly polished for an early access title. There are some bugs and performance problems, but the game is solid for the stage of development it's currently at. The base building in BR is also pretty compelling to watch. It's always fun to watch someone panic when you stroll up on their carefully built wooden base and you lay into it with the scar or the grenade launcher.

Like waframe, it's also one of the very few f2p/paid games that gets lootboxes pretty much right. There does not seem to be some insidious, exploitative system at play when it comes to loot in order to extract the most amount of cash from you. Rewards are plentiful, and you get showered with all kinds of stuff from the pinatas.

I like the effort based lootbox system in PvE whereby the better you perform in a mission, the better the lootbox and gear you get. Sure the mtx is heavily featured, but it does not feel you are cut off from progression, levelling up or even enjoying the game if you don't spend a single penny on mtx.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Deserves it. Its a phenomenal game and imo a far superior game to PUBG in nearly every way.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
The recentBattle(non)sensevideo that goes into detail on PUBG/Fortnite/H1Z1's netcode states that PUBG, at least on PC, is AWS (as well as Fortnite, H1Z1 is Daybreak w/ AWS for spillover).

This video is actually quite interesting for those who have not watched it, as is most of the Battle(non)sense content.

My bad, I just remember there was an announcement about it back in October, maybe they were specifically talking about the Xbox One version though I don't remember them specifying.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Deserves it. Its a phenomenal game and imo a far superior game to PUBG in nearly every way.
I mean they really only share similarities in that they both put 100 people against each other battle royale style with an ever-shrinking play zone. Other than that they are pretty different gunplay and emergent gameplay wise.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
My bad, I just remember there was an announcement about it back in October, maybe they were specifically talking about the Xbox One version though I don't remember them specifying.
Oh no problem, there seemed to be a lot of miscommunication about it among the community. I think it was just people expecting it to shift to azure once Microsoft became involved.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite is free to play, is multiplatform, and is the only competitor to PUBG right now, while looking far more polishedon console. I mean, I just downloaded it myself to see what this is all about, since I can't play PUBG.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
I played 8 or so matches of this October last year. Highest I got was 2nd place. I get the appeal of these battle royale games now. The tension and the rush are real.

But goddamn did I just not like how it played. Everything from the movement to the shooting felt floaty, limp, and non-responsive, and just bad. Coming into it after playing a ton of Destiny 2 and bursts of Overwatch, it just put everything into stark relief.

When a battle royale game approaches the level of "game feel" that those shooters are on, I'll be totally in.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I played 8 or so matches of this October last year. Highest I got was 2nd place. I get the appeal of these battle royale games now. The tension and the rush are real.

But goddamn did I just not like how it played. Everything from the movement to the shooting felt floaty, limp, and non-responsive, and just bad. Coming into it after playing a ton of Destiny 2 and bursts of Overwatch, it just put everything into stark relief.

When a battle royale game approaches the level of "game feel" that those shooters are on, I'll be totally in.
Yup. Fortnite is simply not made for pvp shooters like this in the first place, and it shows. The gameplay is just far inferior to most true shooters games out there.

That said, I'm not really looking forward to PUBG either. I'm waiting for a much polished battle royale game from one of the big devs. Pure shooters, not with added gimmicks like Fortine.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
It's an ok game. I just enjoy PUBG far more because it's an FPS and I feel the game is just more tense and engaging because of that.

Spine_Ripper

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up buying the pve after enjoying BR so much. I prefer the PvE, some of my friends BR, but we're all pretty engaged with the game overall at the moment. It's definitely scratching that shooter itch atm.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Pretty sure Sony like all platform holders takes a cut off the microtransactions off these games so they still make money
Some money, but the conversion rate is pretty crappy for F2P games other than the whales. Something on the order of 2%. There's no way that Fortnite is making as much money as PUBG.

But PUBG is held together with toothpicks and bubblegum, so it's just a matter of time before it's replaced by an Ubi/EA/Activision game that does the same thing.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised it's not actually all on Azure too.
Hell, MS' CEO even publicly talked about how PUBG now uses Azure. Guess it's just the Xbox version.

killersquirel

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say that I'm really digging Fortnite. I have a PS4 Pro, but I have been playing it on the Xbox One X. Is it basically the same on both or is one better than the other?

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
G8AVEyb.jpg

You may be right in this not telling the entire story, but it certainly shows that Fortnite has a real popularity.
Being free helps.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
How does it being free help the game have a large Twitch viewership? I mean, i'm sure it doesn't hurt, but i'd say it more so speaks to how entertaining the game is to not only play but to watch and engage with the community. Perhaps you didn't meant to reply to my message there.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
How does it being free help the game have a large Twitch viewership? I mean, i'm sure it doesn't hurt, but i'd say it more so speaks to how entertaining the game is to not only play but to watch and engage with the community. Perhaps you didn't meant to reply to my message there.
People watch streams of games they own. It's why it's got so popular on Twitch. And it's a free game so millions own it. I don't see the point in comparing a paid game to a free one.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Well I mean, I've played a ton of Battle Royal games and even the terrible ones on the phone (Knives out isn't bad) but even though I much prefer PUBG, Fortnight BR is by far the easiest one out of them all to pick up.

The learning curve on the game is surprisingly low and I guess it's a perfect stepping stone for people who want to get into more Battle Royal style games.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game. Well -- the Save The World part isn't, but they saw an opportunity with Battle Royale and they ran with it, and it's working out well. It's distinct from PUBG, the building and destruction makes it a whole different beast, and the performance is real solid. They're constantly updating it with new stuff as well, and the limited time gimmick modes (50v50, high explosives, silencers only) are pretty fun as well.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Fortnight is number one, LOL and DOTA are always up there as well.
And you're sticking with the prime reason for this being that they are free to play? Not esports following, communities or quality of the games?

The vast majority of free to play games don't generate high player counts like these nor hold player retention.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
A ton of people I know, including cousins without gold, play this on xbox one also. Turns out a free battle royale game that doesn't require gold to play is gonna be popular.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
And you're sticking with the prime reason for this being that they are free to play? Not esports following, communities or quality of the games?

The vast majority of free to play games don't generate high player counts like these nor hold player retention.
No I never said that. They have to be good games but being free is what made them worldwide successes. There is no denying LOL or Fortnite would have that success if it cost 30-60 to buy.

I just said the biggest games on Twitch are usually free to play, which is true.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Make the map bigger, offer a mode without the building mechanics, and maybe I'll be able to get into it. I can't stand how the end game has a person or team building a tower while everyone else is at a clear disadvantage.

I'm surprised it's not actually all on Azure too.
Hell, MS' CEO even publicly talked about how PUBG now uses Azure. Guess it's just the Xbox version.

Yeah only the Xbox version uses it.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Shooting mechanic probably needs work which is why Epic will expermient with test version in near future. However, why are some people legitimately demanding outright removal of building mechanics, when it's identity of Fortnite which makes lends its uniqueness versus PUBG?

Fortnite and PUBG clearly aim for different audience despite all the general similarities, and each camp of gamers not respecting each other's gameplay preference only leads to dreaded "homogenization" of games.

Swimmer98000

Oct 27, 2017
So I VERY briefly dabbled in Fortnite when the BR mode dropped a few moths back and was unimpressed. My friends and I have all been back home on winter break for the past few weeks and coincidentally we all started playing Fortnite together. I have grown to absolutely adore this game and its mechanics. It is seriously my favorite MP game since Overwatch dropped a few years back. We all cant get enough.

Last edited:

leehom

Nov 30, 2017
Make the map bigger, offer a mode without the building mechanics, and maybe I'll be able to get into it. I can't stand how the end game has a person or team building a tower while everyone else is at a clear disadvantage.
Spoken by a person who doesn't have much skill. I've won plenty of games against people with towers. It's all about strategy and skills, although building does help.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Fortnite is simply not made for pvp shooters like this in the first place, and it shows. The gameplay is just far inferior to most true shooters games out there.

That said, I'm not really looking forward to PUBG either. I'm waiting for a much polished battle royale game from one of the big devs. Pure shooters, not with added gimmicks like Fortine.
I have my doubts "big devs" can make it work. None of the AAA publishers has put out a game with gunplay as satisfying as PUBG in quite a while.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Spoken by a person who doesn't have much skill. I've won plenty of games against people with towers. It's all about strategy and skills, although building does help.

In a lot of cases it comes down to who has the better building strategy. And that's what I love about it. It's not just about who has better aiming skill or reflexes (maybe I'm getting too old), in a lot of scenarios you can outwit your opponents. I've legit made it to the top 10 in some matches by just building my way out of conflict and evading.

People who say they should remove the building mechanics honestly aren't even trying. If you want to play it like it's an out and out shooter you'd be better served playing PUBG, and there's nothing wrong with that. The last thing Fortnite needs is to try and become more like PUBG as far as the game mechanics go.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No I never said that. They have to be good games but being free is what made them worldwide successes. There is no denying LOL or Fortnite would have that success if it cost 30-60 to buy.

I just said the biggest games on Twitch are usually free to play, which is true.
Right, but the issue that you're saying its unfair or unjust to compare a free game to a paid one, when historically the two distinctions haven't really had of lot of bearing on player counts. See WoW vs SWTOR FTP, or Destiny vs Warframe, MOBA's being a bit of a special case as its very rare to see a retail one (i can only think of that one Gas Powered Games released). I mean, by your example Quake Champions should be killing it. Its perfectly fair to compare PUBG, one of gaming's biggest successes of the last few years with Fortnites player counts, Fortnite is kind of the underdog here despite being free. PUBG's success has been incredible, and its very impressive Fortnite have been able to come as far as they have in such a short time.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I went real deep into Fortbite BR when they had the 50v50 mode going. Really fun and easy to get into game. The thing which makes it unique (the base building) is my least favorite part of the game however. I just played it like a straight battle royale game.

But I can totally understand. In a PubG-less environment, this is the best similar kind of game on the PS4 right now.

Oct 26, 2017
California
Have they actually showed any preview footage of the new ballistic changes? If they can change the gunplay to replicate Arma/PUBG I'll be back in, because right now I'm just not a fan of how guns have this almost laser tag like feel to them. Makes the shooting feel less skillful and more about just being the person that spots first and has the hair trigger reaction rather than planning on leading and bullet control.
I have no idea what game you played, but I have to lead my shots and aim higher to get a hit. They're not laser at all.

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So weird. On Steam tonight hardly any English speaking players are playing PubG. It's all mostly Asian or Russian players. Meanwhile a lot more English speakers are on Fortnite. A lot of the top former PubG players have moved to Fortnite. So what has happened?

Personally I think Fortnite is much better and more fun of a game anyway, but this feels like something is going on. Did PubG run the meltdown patch fix and all their servers are now super slow? *shrug*

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

Spoken like a person who takes another opinion too personally. I know how to play, I just don't have that much fun in the game. I understand that the building mechanics helps differentiate their game from PUBG but there are plenty of people who don't care for it, including me.

Edit:

People who say they should remove the building mechanics honestly aren't even trying. If you want to play it like it's an out and out shooter you'd be better served playing PUBG, and there's nothing wrong with that. The last thing Fortnite needs is to try and become more like PUBG as far as the game mechanics go.

You have a point with not trying, at least for me. It's not intuitive and I'm not sure how they could make it work well with a controller. I use it when I need to reach a chest on a higher level and that's it. The game already copies enough from pubg that it wouldn't hurt to borrow a few more ideas and offer another mode for people like me. There is plenty of strategy when needing to keep aware of your positioning, I don't care for someone who lucked out on better gear to gain a further advantage.

Last edited:

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
Exactly. It's not about a base or tower. It's about using the building to gain a tactical advantage. They build a base and you climb up the side and drop grenades. Win. Or you rain rockets at the supports and it falls and you pick them off in the chaos. Win.

There is way more to the building strats than towers.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Right, but the issue that you're saying its unfair or unjust to compare a free game to a paid one, when historically the two distinctions haven't really had of lot of bearing on player counts. See WoW vs SWTOR FTP, or Destiny vs Warframe, MOBA's being a bit of a special case as its very rare to see a retail one (i can only think of that one Gas Powered Games released). I mean, by your example Quake Champions should be killing it. Its perfectly fair to compare PUBG, one of gaming's biggest successes of the last few years with Fortnites player counts, Fortnite is kind of the underdog here despite being free. PUBG's success has been incredible, and its very impressive Fortnite have been able to come as far as they have in such a short time.
How is Fortnite an underdog? It's made by Epic games and they ripped off the game mode from one of their customers and it's free. Where as PUBG is made by some unknown developer and they charged $30.

It's hilarious to paint Epic Games as an underdog.