• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
While I think it's likely doing well, I don't think fortnite having the most streams indicates that most people must be playing it, though at best it may be a good sign.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Tons of people playing. Bluehole should be kicking themselves that they didnt also put PUBG on PS4 right away. That is a LOT of people getting invested in Fortnite.
Or will Fortnite's largest base migrate to PUBG?

The Xbox version's release is a good indication that people want PUBG, no matter what sorry state it's in.

Actually, is it Battle Royal or PUBG that people want?

Also: did this improve the sales of that multimedia franchise?

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
it's a pity that paragon couldn't grasp the dota/lol hype. the game is really legit.
however, fortnite turns out to be quite good.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling that Fortnite will make PUBG on PS4 kinda lukewarm or even moot.

I've seen similar comments on the Xbox and that hasn't really happened. The games are different enough for both to occupy the same space. In fact almost everyone on my friends list who used to play fortnite on the Xbox has moved over to PUBG.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's a pity that paragon couldn't grasp the dota/lol hype. the game is really legit.
however, fortnite turns out to be quite good.

There is time yet for paragon.

It released into early access when gpus were still struggling to reach the 60fps sweet spot.

Now it's in the Lol category of calculators can run it.

I'm hoping the might of Epics advertising and the endless money stream of fortnite will make it a success.

Also Fortnite/Paragon cross over skins have been confirmed:)

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
There is time yet for paragon.

It released into early access when gpus were still struggling to reach the 60fps sweet spot.

Now it's in the Lol category of calculators can run it.

I'm hoping the might of Epics advertising and the endless money stream of fortnite will make it a success.

Also Fortnite/Paragon cross over skins have been confirmed:)
Did the PC struggle really that far? I played the first year on the ps4 and I was really shocked that the ps4 version was 60fps even if the game used some workarounds where models afar refreshed there animation in 30hz and lower. But the game was getting visibly better over the months. I can imagine that the same applies for fortnite.

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I don't like PUBG but I decided to try this since some people here are praising it over PUBG... and what should I say? Fortnite is a lot of fun. It feels much better than PUBG. Everything is more fluid and the gameplay feels a bit more fast paced. I think I'll stick with this for a time, looks like a lot of fun.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah no shit, my friends actually dropped GTA:O since the PS4 release for Fortnite. THAT'S CRAZY!

CrayToes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's no surprise. It's a legitimately good BR game and a genuine sleeper hit. The rate at which Epic are updating it and keeping it fresh is spectacular, too.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just borrow the thread to ask has there been any talk about new maps for Fortnite too?

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
MS made a killer move.

Even on Xbox, Fortnite is the #1 most played game according to the Microsoft Store page. PUBG is #6.
So yeah, this has nothing to do with Microsoft. Fortnite is killing it.

snip5tk6z.png

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to Sony, there is no any alternative or opponent to this game on damn PS4.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Thought the Twitch viewer numbers were interesting. This is what it's like mid-day in Europe

ICFtXB5.png

Fortnite only seems to get close in numbers when Europe goes to sleep and the US starts playing. My guess is that Fortnite is very US player centric right now and PUBG the rest of the world.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I'll just borrow the thread to ask has there been any talk about new maps for Fortnite too?

They are focused on the current map for now, but yes, ultimately new maps will come. They have indicated that making the current map somewhat bigger and adding new areas to it are going to happen first though.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Sony does not allow Early Access shit for PSN. That's why PUBG or other great games didn't come out for PS4.

Oh right. PUBG isn't on PS4 because Microsoft has paid for Xbox console exclusivity though, at least for now. I'm not sure what the state of things would be if they hadn't, but as it stands, Microsoft has a deal in place, regardless of what Sony wants or doesn't want on their platform.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Have they actually showed any preview footage of the new ballistic changes? If they can change the gunplay to replicate Arma/PUBG I'll be back in, because right now I'm just not a fan of how guns have this almost laser tag like feel to them. Makes the shooting feel less skillful and more about just being the person that spots first and has the hair trigger reaction rather than planning on leading and bullet control.

They haven't so far shown off the new ballistics. I don't think it is in any way certain that they will move to projectiles at this point - what they have works pretty well as it is. They have made changes and are going to continue to, but for the most part it's focused on reducing bloom and increasing recoil.

Fortnite isn't trying to be a realistic game, if that wasn't obvious, and that's fine. This is a game where you can wear a bush or throw a bomb that forces enemies to start disco dancing. We don't need more ARMA clones - don't be surprised when ultra realistic Battle Royale games become niche just like ultra realistic shooters did.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Sony does not allow Early Access shit for PSN. That's why PUBG and tons of great games didn't come out for PS4.

I know this gets repeated a lot, but it's simply not true. It's a lie constructed by Xbox fanatics to throw shade at Sony and PlayStation.

You know what a good example of an early access game on PS4 is? Fortnite.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh right. PUBG isn't on PS4 because Microsoft has paid for Xbox console exclusivity though, at least for now. I'm not sure what the state of things would be if they hadn't, but as it stands, Microsoft has a deal in place, regardless of what Sony wants or doesn't want on their platform.
Nope. They met with Sony before the deal. PUBG didn't out to PS4 because Sony didn't allow easily Early Access for PSN. Then they made a deal with Microsoft for Early Access version.

CH Kim, the CEO of PUGB Corp made it clear yet again that PUBG will be an "Xbox One exclusive for some time" he's confirmed that the overall goal is to make the game available on every platform.

He also touches on the reason why PUBG hasn't made it to PS4 yet, and it's a familiar story that we've heard from other developers. PlayStation 4 games have a strict process for submission and have to be in a fit state for release before Sony will allow them on the Store.

"Early Access on Steam and Game Preview on Xbox One are like pre-release," says Kim, "so they don't have a restriction on quality".

"However, PS is very strict about this. There were cases where a game took 6 months more to launch even when it was already completed. We are still in the stage of learning the console development environment and console gamers' taste. We need to think about other platforms after evaluating and completing the Xbox One version first."

This makes it difficult for games that are in a pre-release state to pass submission, and puts off some developers going through the process at such an early stage. It therefore looks like the developer will wait until PUBG is as complete and refined as possible before attempting to launch it on PS4.

https://www.psu.com/news/pubg-ps4-release-date-update/

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Rodelero Hamchan

Nope. They met with Sony before the deal. PUBG didn't out to PS4 because Sony didn't allow Early Access for PSN. Then they made a deal with Microsoft for Early Access version. The game will be released to PS4 when the 100% is complete.

I see nowhere in here that specifies that they met with Sony beforehand and were rejected due to policy. It just says that the policy is there. Not that it really matters anyway as, like I say, they have a deal with Microsoft right now.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or will Fortnite's largest base migrate to PUBG?

The Xbox version's release is a good indication that people want PUBG, no matter what sorry state it's in.

Actually, is it Battle Royal or PUBG that people want?

Also: did this improve the sales of that multimedia franchise?

Honestly I don't think so. Fortnite is in a lot of ways a perfect storm for Epic. Especially with tweens. It's got the building and creative aspects of something like Minecraft. It is free and has a more kid friendly aesthetic with its cartoon graphics and the extra added zeitgeist of being in on the newest trend.

PUBG does a lot right and I'm sure the mil Sim aspect appeals to some more but honestly I think in the end Fortnite will be the bigger game overall.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's fair to assume Fortnite was given a pass because of PUBG.
Fortnite released as an early access game on July 25th, that was announced on June 8th. PUBG came out March 23rd and relied on word of mouth to build it's momentum over several months.

Fortnite's battle royale mode was done in response to PUBG, sure, but entirely by Epic and rolled out within the existing Fortnite early access program on all systems.

Sony allows early access, but they clearly have much higher requirements for it than their "final" release certification process. It appears the biggest criteria is being a major developer/publisher with a significant track record.

I'm kind of torn on Fortnite. I do think it's rather dubious that Epic was assisting Bluehole with PUBG only to roll out their own competing battle royale game in record time following the success of PUBG. At the same time it's a BR game with much broader age range appeal and some interesting mechanics carried over from the original Fortnite mode.

It would be interesting to see how well Fortnite would have done if Bluehole had the bandwidth to get PUBG on both consoles in short order. I suspect that was the real reason they hooked up with MS - a lack of resources to simultaneously move PUBG on PC forward while also making acceptable quality console ports. That last part was still a challenge when focusing on a single platform with substantial first party assistance.

Either way I think the genre is here to stay for a while and the two big power players are clearly Fortnite and PUBG at this time. It would take a lot for even the big publishers and their major IPs (CoD, Desitny, Battlefield, etc.) to crack into the genre.

Unless of course RDR2 has a battle royale mode in a western setting with a healthy variety of period focused weapons. That'd be a freight train.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Free to Play, already available - even already installed on many consoles, it was just perfectly set up for success.

Kind of crazy that this afterthought "mod" has basically replaced the main game as the focus of the title.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They haven't so far shown off the new ballistics. I don't think it is in any way certain that they will move to projectiles at this point - what they have works pretty well as it is. They have made changes and are going to continue to, but for the most part it's focused on reducing bloom and increasing recoil.

Fortnite isn't trying to be a realistic game, if that wasn't obvious, and that's fine. This is a game where you can wear a bush or throw a bomb that forces enemies to start disco dancing. We don't need more ARMA clones - don't be surprised when ultra realistic Battle Royale games become niche just like ultra realistic shooters did.
Ah right, I just remember them talking about ballistic projectile development early on after the initial release wave and thought it was still a continued path with additions already being seen. I do understand ARMA-style ballistics isn't for everyone and even PUBG can sometimes be difficult at times due to the nature of gunplay despite it overall being an amazingly fast-paced and fun game. I wouldn't say that PUBG is entirely ultra realistic, just that it models gunplay off the ARMA series because of its origins, and that its popularity will make it hard to become "niche" in that sense.

Gunplay is always going to be a balancing act, that's a given like normal gameplay. Fornite and PUBG are great games, doing great things for the multiplayer shooting scene and I do hope we can see continued growth on both fronts as we shift to very different development types.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I play both games and overall Fort Nite is a more enjoyable experience. Performance aside, Fort Nite is just less janky, controls feel smoother, imo it's just more fun, aesthetics are just more appealing (I mean on Xbox PUBG doesn't look good and looks boring imo). Also although Fort Nite has it's aiming issues it feels way better to aim in Fort Nite than In PUBG (yes I know more aiming assist I suppose but something is off on pubg on xbox).

At the end I enjoy both and both are different enough to enjoy the same space. I can't wait to see how pubg ends up after all the updates.

And yes tons of ppl play it on psn, it literally takes seconds to be put into a fully occupied 100 server game after leaving a previous game. Also Fort Nite is definitely not pay to win as anyone can win and it's about skill and luck. Very enjoyable game.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think fortnite has taken everywhere by storm. it's not as big as pubg but still huge, and I see it staying that way.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
PvE isn't bad either, Epic hit the jackpot on this one

with Paragon, Epic keeps on winning

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Ah right, I just remember them talking about ballistic projectile development early on after the initial release wave and thought it was still a continued path with additions already being seen. I do understand ARMA-style ballistics isn't for everyone and even PUBG can sometimes be difficult at times due to the nature of gunplay despite it overall being an amazingly fast-paced and fun game. I wouldn't say that PUBG is entirely ultra realistic, just that it models gunplay off the ARMA series because of its origins, and that its popularity will make it hard to become "niche" in that sense.

Gunplay is always going to be a balancing act, that's a given like normal gameplay. Fornite and PUBG are great games, doing great things for the multiplayer shooting scene and I do hope we can see continued growth on both fronts as we shift to very different development types.

They did talk about the possibility of implementing projectile based ballistics, but only ever as something they would explore. They have already announced the next step for their ballistics, which will see bloom all but removed and replaced with recoil. I do not expect them to go any further than that - I don't think projectile based ballistics will suit Fortnite and I suspect they found that when they tried it.

Ultimately, it's not really a question of whether ARMA style ballistics is for everyone or not, it's a question of whether it is right for Fortnite.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. They met with Sony before the deal. PUBG didn't out to PS4 because Sony didn't allow easily Early Access for PSN. Then they made a deal with Microsoft for Early Access version.

This is a far cry from what you were saying earlier:

"Sony does not allow Early Access shit for PSN. That's why PUBG and tons of great games didn't come out for PS4."

I'd love to see a list of the "tons of great games" by the way, always looking for reasons to turn on my Xbox.

Oct 30, 2017
Are these free games worth a look? I always figured they were either riddled with microtransactions, or rubbish knock offs aimed at kids or those who can't buy paid games for whatever reason.

Gamesgbkiller

Oct 28, 2017
KSA
I was surprised to see my brother playing Fortnite lately. I did try it when it came out and it was fun to play.

Sadly, I have fatigue with online games for a couple years now.

We'll see how Paladins perform when their version comes out.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even on Xbox, Fortnite is the #1 most played game according to the Microsoft Store page. PUBG is #6.
So yeah, this has nothing to do with Microsoft. Fortnite is killing it.

snip5tk6z.png

Thought the Twitch viewer numbers were interesting. This is what it's like mid-day in Europe

ICFtXB5.png

Fortnite only seems to get close in numbers when Europe goes to sleep and the US starts playing. My guess is that Fortnite is very US player centric right now and PUBG the rest of the world.
Fascinating.