• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently Twitter xim (third party mouse And keyboard support) users are lighting up with blocked messages while trying to play fortnite on Xbox. Thank. God. Not sure yet if it's epic blocking or microsoft has a part in it

Edit: XIM subreddit has gone private since it started

Edit 2: XIM maker aware of the block.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TeamXIM/status/1050470648923840512

Edit:

After doing some research, apperantly Microsoft is giving devs the tools to detect XIM and letting them decide what do about them.

Don't know if Sony is doing this.

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't the game support regular keyboards and mice? If you're using a xim then you're taking advantage of the precision of a mouse, plus the aim assist on a controller. You're cheating?

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how they can detect it. As far as I'm aware not even Microsoft and Sony can detect XIM since it reads the input as a controller.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Wish they could do this for Overwatch on both Consoles. You can easily tell who's using it when watching a Play of The Game.

Oct 25, 2017
They should just force players into PC servers when XIM is connected. Pretty sure PS4 does this now with KB/M users. Either way it's a good move.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's firmware updateable, so I'm assuming the cat and mouse (and keyboard hurrrrrrr) game is about to begin

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god, keep on em Epic, keep these weenies who can't win on PC with their control scheme but use the aim assist on the console versions w/kb+m...

DOMO GYU

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Well, the check is easy to bypass (at least for now), so it probably won't change much.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Good.

If Mouse and Keyboard is not available for everybody natively then the few people cheating should not be able to use Mouse and Keyboard as well.

Ban XIM4 everywhere in other games too let them add native M+K support instead freely for all no issues then.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Finally, I saw this happening when Xbox initially made their plans for kbm and announced that they could detect xim. They weren't going to have devs block people with xim until they could announce official kbm support now that they've done that you can expect Epic to announce kbm support for the Xbox version as kbm users will be put into the PC pool by default controller players have nothing to worry about. They weren't gong to vilify xim users (although they should at least for competitive modes) and then roll out the kbm feature right after as that would've been a mixed message.

Last edited:

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Are kb&mouse players separated from controller players on Fortnite? I know the game supports KB & mouse natively so it seems kind of pointless to use xim on that game unless that's the case and xim users are trying to cheat by using the adapter to play against controller only players

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck yes, hopefully Sony is doing the same. I'd love it if COD and Battlefield blocked XIM users.

Vakuf

Oct 25, 2017
play with whats more comfortable to you...controllers sucks feel bad for xim users.

Oct 31, 2017
Are kb&mouse players separated from controller players on Fortnite? I know the game supports KB & mouse natively so it seems kind of pointless to use xim on that game unless that's the case and xim users are trying to cheat by using the adapter to play against controller only players
If KBM is detected on console you are thrown into PC lobbies. This was a recent change.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
It was already time... they could devoted it for years but never did nothing.

I wonder how they can detect it. As far as I'm aware not even Microsoft and Sony can detect XIM since it reads the input as a controller.
The input is completely different from a controller.

You can't move with the controller the sim like you move with a mouse.

If the XIM try to give inputs like the controller it will fail.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck yes, hopefully Sony is doing the same. I'd love it if COD and Battlefield blocked XIM users.

The game has mouse and keyboard support on PS4...

But Epic wanted to match them with PC players if they use MKB on PS4. Don't know if they have actually implemented it yet.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still can't believe people think using a KBM on console isn't an unfair advantage lol. Thank god they started grouping them with actual PC players.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They'll find a way around it. They always so.

Those shameful complaints. Yeesh! They complain that they can't cheat anymore! What the hell?

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
XIM detection on Xbox is not new, API has been around for a while.

From Feb:

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
play with whats more comfortable to you...controllers sucks feel bad for xim users.
The game supports native kB and mouse already so it sounds like xim users are just trying to bypass the game matching them with pc players so they can keep an advantage against controller players.

If KBM is detected on console you are thrown into PC lobbies. This was a recent change.
That's good to hear. Hope this is implemented across all versions already.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
You can always tell when you are playing with someone using a KB/M on Xbox and it's such an unfair advantage even if you are good at the game with a controller.