• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I almost don't know how to respond to this. It's obviously the case that Microsoft will see more value from a retail sale than they would a gamepass download. That's not a knock against gamepass, it's just a fact, particularly in the case that a lot of the downloads derive from a discount offer.
Ubi + EA along with MS have said the opposite, recurring model provides greater returns over a longer period. Also the discounted rate isn't the default rate. This is an outdated way if thinking.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
gpu demo and for nostalgia sake. won't play more than 10 minutes.

Did nobody tell this guy it's a 56 gig demo?

Good to see the dollar new sub trolling is still going strong. Forza Horizon 4 hit what 12 million new 1 dollar subs? Now Gears is hitting millions of 1 dollar subs. Sea of thieves had like 6 million one dollar subs at some point.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I almost don't know how to respond to this. It's obviously the case that Microsoft will see more value from a retail sale than they would a gamepass download. That's not a knock against gamepass, it's just a fact, particularly in the case that a lot of the downloads derive from a discount offer.

Nah. Getting more players to play your games is better in the long run for a game then the initial sales.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when Gears 3 peaked at 2500 players a day with less than 500 when it was night in the US. I doubt the game will be able to sustain players in the long run. I think the skill ceiling is too high.
The problem isn't the skill ceiling, a high skill ceiling is a good thing and encourages longevity in the player base.

The issue is accessibility and the skill floor.

They've tried to address that with arcade though

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
My friends and I are having a blast in Horde. It's really great and time consuming as hell. Were hooked on Apex but most stopped playing after S2 and none is Fortnite players either. Gears brought the fun and us back together.

Game is is amazing.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a bit of a confused argument.

All I'm suggesting is the pretty simple point that Gears 5 would probably not have taken the #1 spot if it wasn't for Game Pass and the very heavy discounting of Game Pass. This is not contradicted by any of the things you've pointed out. The game would not have more users or more cumulative play time without Game Pass and the discounting, it would have less, and I would argue quite substantially less based on anecdotal evidence and simple common sense.

Furthermore, I think people should be very careful with the 'fact' that game pass boosts game sales. It's based on relatively little information and there is no true way to test that a game that launched on gamepass sold better than it would have otherwise. Moreover, in the long term, as long term subscribers will almost certainly buy fewer game pass games (especially if they're going to start offering ultimate editions).
Those NPD positions and numbers weren't confusing for any of us. Sea if Thieves for instance, it being the most successful Rare game released. Available during a period of free Gamepass subs. This is data, by all means scoff at it as much as you want but the fact remains, MS have linked the uptick to Gamepass which has been proven so far, you've not been able to provide a strong reason to doubt it.

Last edited:

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
US, UK, Mexico, Germany

Brazil

Greece
Unfortunately I van't post more than 4 pieces of media in one post.

Ireland

Italy

Saudi Arabia & UAB

France

Last one...

AU

India

(done)
[/QUOTE]

Hard to pinpoint if it's indeed a worldwide success with only these countries, still waiting for the confirmation on how it's doing on the north pole, Antarctica, Vatican, and other big gaming markets like these to confirm whether it's a success or not.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite Gears campaign by far. Will probably sink into MP more than other Gears in the past. Amazing game.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Just shows how shit games in the Xbox store are"
"Microtransactions are fundamental to Xbox games, just look at Forza 7 and Sea of Thieves."
"Steam players show a starkly different picture."
"Oh Microsoft must be losing so much money for mindshare."
"I count in those stats because I downloaded as a GPU test, won't ever play."
"I fear for the future of game design with the GamePass model."

This thread is a fucking dumpster fire. All because Xbox has a successful franchise.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Microtransactions are fundamental to Xbox games, just look at Forza 7 and Sea of Thieves."

This thread is a fucking dumpster fire. All because Xbox has a successful franchise.

Imagine how bad it will be for Halo Infinite lmao

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
You won't count on these stats then because these are for time played, not downloads.

I feel like this is worth reiterating for anyone that thinks '$1 Game Pass deal' is the sole reason why this would hit number one. It wouldn't chart if those people weren't actually playing the game. This chart is based on total hours played in a set period. They have separate charts for top selling and top free games etc. So this is a solid indicator of what people are actually playing. Free games launch all the time and don't knock Fortnite off the top most played spot. Apex didn't. PUBG didn't went it went into Game Pass. Forza Horizon 4 didn't.

Doubt it'll stay up there but it's pretty significant.
^such truth in this. Yet, people still look for ways to bring in a negative mindset on why something is successful.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I'm so glad Gears 5 is seeing success, especially with the pivot to a female lead for the campaign. I'm dying to play it but won't have time until I simmer down from Apex Season 2, MHW Iceborne, Astral Chain, and Borderlands 3. Way too much good shit out right now, and I feel bad for making Gears 5 wait considering how good it looks.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Amazing succes for MS and TC. Just imagine the numbers when Halo Infinity hits to gamepass.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil

Halo Infinite launch will be funny.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
you said download. you do know that you can just press download and it installs it by itself? what's even your point?
And you said 50 sec, it may download at high speeds but you cannot play it until it is written to the harddrive and installed. So no matter how fast your internet you are gonna be waiting a good long while to install a 56 gig DEMO on a console. Unsterstand now? Lol

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, these are greats numbers.
Funny how some era members have been trying to convince others for the past 2 or so years that no one cares about Gears and Halo anymore lol.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Ubi + EA along with MS have said the opposite, recurring model provides greater returns over a longer period. Also the discounted rate isn't the default rate. This is an outdated way if thinking.

What they have said is not contradictory to what I have said. All they are saying is that a subscription is often more valuable than a sale. That is not the same as saying that a download via subscription is more valuable than a game sale. The point being that Microsoft will make more money from:

Two million people play Gears, all of them buying it at retail

than

Two million people play Gears, all of them downloading it via GamePass

As for why: Long term subscribers to GP are there for the range of games, and so the value of a specific game is going to be a fraction of the cost of GP. Short term subscribers to GP (who subscribe for a specific game) are paying far less than they would pay at retail. In the case of Gears, where there are likely to be a higher than normal number of short term subscribers paying a massively discounted amount, all of this is even more true.

It's great that many millions are playing Gears. What you can't easily do is compare it with a game that isn't available on Game Pass. The notion that Microsoft is making as much or more money out of the person who spent £1 to play Gears 5 for a month than the person that spend £40 to own Gears 5 is completely ridiculous.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

Because people can't let Microsoft have one victory. As if it will set off negative chain of events they are trying to prevent.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm shocked apex didn't the first month it came out. Shit was huge but I guess fortnite was the bigger fish, that is until "A GODDAMN LEVIATHAN" came along.
Apex had no marketing hype build-up. That game was announced and then released the same day. On top of that, not everyone was excited about it due to it not being a traditional Titanfall game.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

But ya know...when you say there's a bunch of concern trolling going on...people want to say otherwise. ;)

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Gears success has ppl shook
giphy.gif

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

I'm not sure why you think 'value ' means retail money. Microsoft clearly favors MUAs now as a sign of health of their gaming endeavors.
For example... Do you know for sure that selling a million physical copies matters more to MS than getting 2 million Gamepass subscribers?
Sure, you get more money up front, but you can bet there are forward projections and forecasts at MS estimating revenue from each Gamepass subscription.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm happy for them but it's basically close to being free so the real numbers will be in a few weeks when we can see if the game has legs to retain those players who are only playing at the moment cause they had $2 to spare.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Nah. More like

1. Borderlands
2. NBA 2k20
3. Madden
4. FIFA
5. Gears

It could've gotten to 3 without gamepass. But those sales aren't as important as attracting new users
Digital sales get boosted from Game Pass. Retail for Xbox is just a small slice now.

And it'll be in the top 3. Madden will be in its third month, and I think FIFA gets outsold.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And you said 50 sec, it may download at high speeds but you cannot play it until it is written to the harddrive and installed. So no matter how fast your internet you are gonna be waiting a good long while to install a 56 gig DEMO on a console. Unsterstand now? Lol

What console? Install is blazing fast on the ssd.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus,

people are predictably downplaying this but anyone who closely follows the store rankings understands what a massive deal this is.​
I'm curious to see the actual sales numbers outside of gamepass as this would be a good indicator of how many folks are actually playing through gamepass.​

Aug 23, 2018
Wow, congrats to Rod and the team! Special shout out to Xbox's marketing team as well. I never doubted, you.

The game is fantastic and happy to see it paired with Gamepass for what is likely an impressive player count

I imagine this game is going to convert a ton of people who signed up for the GPU promotions into actual subscribers. If MS strategy is to bridge the launch of their tent pole titles with smaller releases sprinkled throughout the year, they're going to grow their subscription base exponentially by keeping a lot of these new subscribers. The Outer Worlds, Ori 2, Minecraft Dungeons, Wasteland 3, Psychonaughts 3, Bleeding Edge, Gears Tactics and the AoE games are all launching day and date into the service leading up to Halo Infinite's launch.