• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
There was a persistent claim that games launching on Gamepass actually provides an increase of regular retail sales.

Gears 5 seems to buck that trend. Everyone is on Gamepass playing it while retail sales are dry. I wonder whether the numbers balance out and which sales model provides developers with more return on their investment. I have had doubts on the sustainability of Gamepass for a while.

All these players on day one are a righteous haven for microtransactions though, so maybe the losses are recouped there.

Are you always this clueless?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Again I'm sort of wondering if Fortnite is starting to slip to enable this. Obviously when you're number one it's hard to know if you're just ahead or miles and miles and miles ahead, and I think in the past it felt like it was the latter, but for two game launches to overhaul it in consecutive weeks? I don't think it's anything particularly special about G5/BL3 - this wasn't happening last year even with the launches of similarly sized or even bigger franchises and launches.

Nov 11, 2017
About what? People have repeatedly said gamepass was a sales driver. Want to elaborate?
Link? Want to elaborate on this? I never seen anyone saying this who are you speaking about? I dont think anyone has said gamepass was a sale driver considering theres no way to compare, they may have said game pass brings awareness to a product that may not have happened

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Link? Want to elaborate on this? I never seen anyone saying this who are you speaking about? I dont think anyone has said gamepass was a sale driver considering theres no way to compare, they may have said game pass brings awareness to a product that may not have happened

Not that I don't believe it since it's been probably true for some games, but Phil Spencer actually said this in 1 o 2 interviews.

www.tweaktown.com/news/62357/xbox-game-pass-actually-sparks-full-sales/index.html

www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2018-11-13-phil-spencer-game-pass-leads-to-more-game-sales

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
It was true at the time because GP was in its infancy. I don't think anyone thought that would hold true forever.
True.

Although saying that - there is a huge difference between a game being "discovered" on Gamepass and the added awareness driving extra sales
vs
an already established, popular IP with a huge marketing push that advertised it as a product of Gamepass rather than just an Xbox game.

Gears 5 has been MS's biggest push yet on signing up subscribers. Traditional sales will obviously suffer as a result. I suspect anyone who acts surprised when the figures finally do release are simply concern trolling.
These two links will be essential over the next week.
Essential in igniting console warz - yes.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Well in Czech lands it's quite different:
snimekobrazovky2019-0xtkpm.png

Seems like Bordelands 3 and even FH 4 are going strong.

And no I don't have an opinion on your web page, get out.....

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Well in Czech lands it's quite different:
snimekobrazovky2019-0xtkpm.png

Seems like Bordelands 3 and even FH 4 are going strong.

And no I don't have an opinion on your web page, get out.....
Well thats because its a now days later compared to when this thread was made. ;)
Also the game got abit of a reset for hours. Always happens with two versions. The Ultimate leaves after a couple of days and gets folded into the main game. But those hours it had before are lost. So the overall game loses some.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
True.

Although saying that - there is a huge difference between a game being "discovered" on Gamepass and the added awareness driving extra sales
vs
an already established, popular IP with a huge marketing push that advertised it as a product of Gamepass rather than just an Xbox game.

Gears 5 has been MS's biggest push yet on signing up subscribers. Traditional sales will obviously suffer as a result. I suspect anyone who acts surprised when the figures finally do release are simply concern trolling.

Totally agree with this and lmao@ the last comment. people are so transparent.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
True.

vs

Good post and true.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Well thats because its a now days later compared to when this thread was made. ;)
Also the game got abit of a reset for hours. Always happens with two versions. The Ultimate leaves after a couple of days and gets folded into the main game. But those hours it had before are lost. So the overall game loses some.
Seems completely same now and community in here, is really not that big, so I guess that id does not say anything, anyway.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
These two links will be essential over the next week.
It should indeed. Gamepass is an amazing demo test service to decide whether u wanna buy something. Its kind of a win win because people pay a subscription and when convinced also buy the game. I think the one dollar sale ends next month so it'll be interesting

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doubt it will in the US, CoD and RDR2 didnt stop Fortnite. Gears had Gamepass, Borderlands doesn't.

Edit: Looks like Im wrong just checked the US numbers lol. I knew Borderlands was big but not THAT big.

lol no problem :) this years COD will be the biggest challenge for competitive gaming. But season 11 of fortnite will being it back into the spotlight and overshadow COD again