• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure this was known for a while. Basically the Switch can output voice chat without the stupid phone shit, but Nintendo insists on pushing their shitty phone app.
Judging by a lot of reactions, I'm assuming some of us had no clue lol. I never bothered with the chat, because I thought I needed the phone setup.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, it was actually possible this whole time? Why the hell didn't Nintendo incorporate this into Splatoon?

I thought we'd need the online service revamp in order for voice chat to work without any gimicks

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
417299.gif

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This means nothing. The problem is providing this with a built-in background app, not bult in the software itself.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I wouldn't play Fortnite on Switch regardless.

But just thinking about playing in handheld with those joycons gives me carpel tunnel. Awful experience.
My hands cramped for the first 20 hours of Zelda, but my hands adjusted since then and I no longer feel the hand cramps. This has been the case for me with every single handheld. Always hurts at the the start, then my hands get used to them. PSP might have taken me the longest.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
So I wonder if the wireless headsets will work. Like the PS Gold headset. I know you can use them to hear your games while in docked mode.

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My hands cramped for the first 20 hours of Zelda, but my hands adjusted since then and I no longer feel the hand cramps. This has been the case for me with every single handheld. Always hurts at the the start, then my hands get used to them. PSP might have taken me the longest.
Yeah, but why would I spend time adjusting when I could just use the vastly superior pro controller?

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
...why dont other 3rdParty titles use that function ? Is that something that was added recently ?

I can see why Nintendo would force you to use the stupid app....but other devs ?
Splatoon 2 lets you do it when doing LAN matches but not in online matches so it's been there for a long time, if not since launch. Nintendo just doesn't use it outside of LAN cuz fuck you that's why :P

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
So why do we have to use that shitty app to have chat in splatoon 2? Which will be part of a paid service.

Lol

GaussTek

Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone tried this yet? I can't get it working... I don't have a headset with mic, but tried the PS4 Earbud which has a mic (should be the same, right?), and I can't use it when on squad.

The controls say "> for Squad voice chat", but everytime I press it, it just brings another menu and I can't edit it. What's the correct button? lol

IcyInferno

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe other 3rd parties can now implement this feature to use the headphone jack for voice chat and maybe even push Nintendo to add Bluetooth headset support. Being able to play a gory M rated Doom multiplayer match but not able to trash talk with others is silly. Thank you Epic for forcing Nintendo's hand.

I don't think Nintendo will budge with making the Nintendo switch online app optional for voice chat for their own 1st party games but at least giving 3rd party developers more feature parity with other consoles is a step in the right direction. Still waiting on OS-level party chat and messaging.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Voice Chat must not be natively built into the Switch, so it has to be software programmed per game

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Splatoon 2 lets you do it when doing LAN matches but not in online matches so it's been there for a long time, if not since launch. Nintendo just doesn't use it outside of LAN cuz fuck you that's why :P
I know about the Splatoon 2 LAN support ....just wondering why no other dev or software used it before the way Epic is now ?

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just fucking swallow your damn pride Nintendo and hire an outside party to handle your online stuff since clearly you can't do it.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is this useful in docked mode though

None of the controllers have headphone jack

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
And there goes blowing out the window and reasonable excuse for Nintendo's stupid chat solution.

I hope they have the common sense to at least not charge for online for 3rd party games that make an effort to actually provide decent online services.