• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So funny that this feature is easy enough to turn on that it keeps happening by accident.

Here's hoping it will stay on.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I didn't know this was some sort of "The state of crossplay" megathread. My bad.

Im just confused by where you want this conversation to lead. You're saying that no ones discussing the fact there aren't any PC/X1 crossplay features, but then I tried to explain to you that all the features concerning it on PC/PS4 are primitive, and it's likely Epic isn't throwing many resources at it right now, especially on a console with a smaller install base. MS has made it clear they're not against this sort of thing, so it's definitely coming at some point.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony shouldn't be affecting the Xbox/PC crossplay. I honestly don't even know why Sony is even brought up one time in this thread. GHG brought up a good point that Xbox users are getting the bum end of the stick for not having cross-progression system in place for the game with PC users. Like, how is that Sony's fault.
Likely because Epic has a deal with Sony to have cross-platform progression between PS4 and PC (like they also have with Paragon). The implication is that there must be something in that agreement that prevents them from providing the same thing between Xbox and PC, because it would then be possible for DLC purchased on Xbox Live to be used on PS4 without Sony getting a cut.

Obviously just a guess, but it's really the only explanation that makes sense when you consider how easy it apparently is for Epic to enable cross-platform play.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Im just confused by where you want this conversation to lead. You're saying that no ones discussing the fact there aren't any PC/X1 crossplay features, but then I tried to explain to you that all the features concerning it on PC/PS4 are primitive, and it's likely Epic isn't throwing many resources at it right now, especially on a console with a smaller install base. MS has made it clear they're not against this sort of thing, so it's definitely coming at some point.

So you're trying to tell me that crossbuy and progression being synced between PS4 and PC are "primitive"? Give me a break.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/...ithout-buying-another-copy-of-fortnite-for-it

http://fortnitehelp.epicgames.com/c...-are-my-items-and-progression-cross-platform-

Crossbuy and the syncing of progression between platforms isn't something that happens by "accident". Then there's the fact that PC and PS4 players can play together (you can argue it's primitive, but it's still possible), but Xbox players are left by themselves. The fact is Sony have never prevented PS4/PC crossplay from being a thing whereas Microsoft seem to have an issue with this for certain games, Paragon being another example.

If I was an Xbox only player I'd be more concerned about those features not being on my platform rather than pointing the finger elsewhere.

Whatever suits I guess.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would PS4 players not be OK? Why would selling your PS4 make you fine?

Because Xbox One players now briefly have crossplay with a single platform in Fortnight? The joke doesn't even make sense.

I think the question was akin to when it gets below 40 degrees in LA and someone starts a thread saying "Its cold in SoCal, is everyone OK"...or just mocking how full cross play ISNT a problem at all..a "Won't someone think of the children!" type mockery. Like it meant the opposite of what the words meant...like sarcasm and stuff

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crossbuy and the syncing of progression between platforms isn't something that happens by "accident". Then there's the fact that PC and PS4 players can play together (you can argue it's primitive, but it's still possible), but Xbox players are left by themselves.

If I was an Xbox only player I'd be more concerned about those features not being on my platform rather than pointing the finger elsewhere.

Whatever suits I guess.

I mean. You realize why that is, right? (see my post above)

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you're guessing. What's preventing them from saying you can only link either your xbox live or PSN account to your PC account and not both?
Probably the deal with Sony, because it would make Sony look bad. We know MS is open-minded about sharing DLC purchased on other platforms. I can buy Minecraft DLC on iOS and use it on Xbox. If PC players could only link to one console account or the other, everyone would know whose fault it was, and Sony wouldn't have their pro bono PR firm defending their honor on message boards and social media.

You have Epic out there publicly saying they want it. Microsoft out there publicly saying they want it. Then you have Sony sitting there in deafening silence. It isn't terribly hard to figure out what's going on.

Last edited:

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Likely because Epic has a deal with Sony to have cross-platform progression between PS4 and PC (like they also have with Paragon). The implication is that there must be something in that agreement that prevents them from providing the same thing between Xbox and PC, because it would then be possible for DLC purchased on Xbox Live to be used on PS4 without Sony getting a cut.

Obviously just a guess, but it's really the only explanation that makes sense when you consider how easy it apparently is for Epic to enable cross-platform play.

Would such a deal be stated as an exclusive feature (cross-progression) to prevent Xbox players from having it?

Take FFXIV, for example, has cross progression on the same account. According to past articles stating that MS does not understand the concept of an MMO structure and would cause SE to create an Xbox only server for Xbox users to play FFXIV, does this warrant a dealing with Sony causing this to happen? Same could be said for DCUO. There is PS4/PC crossplay, but not Xbox/PC crossplay.

I know MMOs aren't really the same thing as Fortnite, but I am trying to make a comparison as close as I can think of on your thought.

Probably the deal with Sony, because it would make Sony look bad. We know MS is open-minded about sharing DLC purchased on other platforms. I can buy Minecraft DLC on iOS and use it on Xbox. If PC players could only link to one console account or the other, everyone would know whose fault it was, and Sony wouldn't have their pro bono PR firm defending their honor on message boards and social media.

You have Epic out there publicly saying they want it. Microsoft out there publicly saying they want it. Then you have Sony sitting there in defeating silence. It isn't terribly hard to figure out what's going on.

MS is open-minded about sharing Minecraft DLC, not DLC for any game. This is because they can control what goes on with Minecraft and gets a cut of every platform that has it since they bought Minecraft as it was already multiplatform. Just like you have one guy at Epic trying to use a public event and was hella nervous to state his opinion about crossplay at TGA.

I guess what I am trying to get at is this. If MS is so open to crossplay, why is there only 3-4 games that are crossplay with PC outside of the Windows 10 store? Correct me, if I'm wrong, but the first time this blunder happened for Fortnite, didn't MS stop them from doing the Xbox/PC crossplay?

Last edited:

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would such a deal be stated as an exclusive feature (cross-progression) to prevent Xbox players from having it?

Take FFXIV, for example, has cross progression on the same account. According to past articles stating that MS does not understand the concept of an MMO structure and would cause SE to create an Xbox only server for Xbox users to play FFXIV, does this warrant a dealing with Sony causing this to happen? Same could be said for DCUO. There is PS4/PC crossplay, but not Xbox/PC crossplay.

I know MMOs aren't really the same thing as Fortnite, but I am trying to make a comparison as close as I can think of on your thought.
Microsoft's position on cross-platform stuff dramatically shifted after the release of the Xbox One. FFXIV wasn't on 360 because of Microsoft's policies, as we all remember. It's not the case now.

The issue is with the storefronts. The PC/PS4 examples you gave allow your to use content purchased on PC on your PS4. Sony doesn't get a cut of that. In order for that shit to even be allowed on PS4, some sort of deal had to have been signed. No one has any idea what the terms of those deals are. All we know is we have 3rd parties and Microsoft saying they now support cross-play, and Sony saying nothing.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Given how easy it is for Epic to enable cross play and support you'd think that they'd just have the option to enable account linking between Sony and PC or Microsoft and PC, i think there is more at play here and given Sonys openness to other companies in this spectrum with titles like FFXIV, SFV and Warthunder i'm inclined to think the fault may lie with Microsoft.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So you're trying to tell me that crossbuy and progression being synced between PS4 and PC are "primitive"? Give me a break.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/...ithout-buying-another-copy-of-fortnite-for-it

http://fortnitehelp.epicgames.com/c...-are-my-items-and-progression-cross-platform-

Crossbuy and the syncing of progression between platforms isn't something that happens by "accident". Then there's the fact that PC and PS4 players can play together (you can argue it's primitive, but it's still possible), but Xbox players are left by themselves. The fact is Sony have never prevented PS4/PC crossplay from being a thing whereas Microsoft seem to have an issue with this for certain games, Paragon being another example.

Whatever suits I guess.

Why do you keep insisting I'm trying to blame Sony for any of this? "Pointing the finger"... I haven't said that at all so fart. And did you read your second link?

"As long as you have your PSN account linked to an Epic account, you will also be able to play on PC and/or Mac. Your items and progression will be available cross-platform. However, while playing on PS4, you will only be able to play with other PS4 players, and while playing on PC/Mac, you will only be able to play with other PC/Mac players."

This is literally what I've been trying to explain to you. The feature is still in it's infancy.

Ok, you want to argue that there's cross-progress, but like molnizzle said, MS has never had a problem with this sort of thing, and Epic seems to be for it on Xbox, but you're somehow repulsed that Sony might be at fault here (a company that's literally stated they're against it).

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given how easy it is for Epic to enable cross play and support you'd think that they'd just have the option to enable account linking between Sony and PC or Microsoft and PC, i think there is more at play here and given Sonys openness to other companies in this spectrum with titles like FFXIV and SFV, i'm inclined to think the fault may lie with Microsoft.
That "openness" has only ever been with PC though. Never another console. That's the key difference.

For a long time, Microsoft had the same policy. As of last year they've publicly stated that they'll allow it between consoles now, and they've demonstrated that they mean it with Minecraft.

...so that leaves Sony. The only other possible roadblock.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

You have Epic out there publicly saying they want it. Microsoft out there publicly saying they want it. Then you have Sony sitting there in defeating silence. It isn't terribly hard to figure out what's going on.

90% of the energy behind this cross-play discussion comes from this console war stuff. I look forward to the day when this feature is more common, more in demand and more marketable. Then we can put pressure on the market leader is to open it up on a game by game basis.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Psyonix needs to follow suit and flip that switch. If Sony wants to stop them from making their games better they should actually be forced to do it through whatever mechanisms for enforcement Sony has over publishers/developers.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

"The deal" that you are quite literally fabricating because there's no evidence (not even a rumour) of said "deal".

Minecraft is owned by Microsoft, they can do what they want with it. What about non Microsoft games?

Looking down this list that was linked earlier in the thread:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_that_support_cross-platform_play

What about Gwent? DC Universe? Etc?

Are all of these games also examples of Sony "doing deals" to cockblock Xbox/PC cross play as well? Looking at the list it seems that unless the game is UWP then crossplay between PC/Xbox outside of the walls of Microsoft's ecosystem is unlikely.

Like I said before, it's easier to point fingers instead of ask questions, as evidenced by "probably the deal".

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope Sony continues to get bad publicity for not allowing crossplay between consoles. I have a Ps4 and this news has pissed me off since last summer

edit: i'm fully aware that sony implements PC x Ps4 crossplay, that's why I said consoles
Why does it piss you off so much? It's not like you can't find match also you can't even invite your friends on Xbox to play with you on ps4 so what's the big deal, it's just random match making.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Why does it piss you off so much? It's not like you can't find match also you can't even invite your friends on Xbox to play with you on ps4 so what's the big deal, it's just random match making.
I should have specified that it's not about this game it's about crossplay in general. you can do private matches with your friends on other platforms on Rocket League and I think with the account system on Minecraft you can do it there as well. And it pisses me off simply because I have friends who have Switches and Xbones with multiplatform games, I'm the one with the Ps4 and the only reason I can't play games like these with them is because Sony deciding that for me

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The deal" that you are quite literally fabricating because there's no evidence (not even a rumour) of said "deal".

Minecraft is owned by Microsoft, they can do what they want with it. What about non Microsoft games?

Looking down this list that was linked earlier in the thread:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_that_support_cross-platform_play

What about Gwent? DC Universe? Etc?

Are all of these games also examples of Sony "doing deals" to cockblock Xbox/PC cross play as well? Looking at the list it seems that unless the game is UWP then crossplay between PC/Xbox outside of the walls of Microsoft's ecosystem is unlikely.

Like I said before, it's easier to point fingers instead of ask questions, as evidenced by "probably the deal".
This thread is about Fortnite so I'm talking about Fortnite.

For there to be externally purchased content useable on PS4, there has be a deal in place. Otherwise the shit wouldn't be certified on PS4 to begin with. You can't buy PS4 Madden DLC on Origin. That shit has to be purchased on PSN. That's the rule. Those cross-platform games break that rule, so there must be a deal in place.

GamerEra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just hope Sony continues to get bad publicity for not allowing crossplay between consoles. I have a Ps4 and this news has pissed me off since last summer

edit: i'm fully aware that sony implements PC x Ps4 crossplay, that's why I said consoles
It's a non-issue. People are used to buying consoles their friends have to play with them.

If there were more console manufacturers on the market or if individual market share for both consoles was tiny then there would be incentive to implement this. This is a business for Sony, not charity.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's a non-issue. People are used to buying consoles their friends have to play with them.

If there were more console manufacturers on the market or if individual market share for both consoles was tiny then there would be incentive to implement this. This is a business for Sony, not charity.

All my friends are on PS4 :/

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft's position on cross-platform stuff dramatically shifted after the release of the Xbox One. FFXIV wasn't on 360 because of Microsoft's policies, as we all remember. It's not the case now.

The issue is with the storefronts. The PC/PS4 examples you gave allow your to use content purchased on PC on your PS4. Sony doesn't get a cut of that. In order for that shit to even be allowed on PS4, some sort of deal had to have been signed. No one has any idea what the terms of those deals are. All we know is we have 3rd parties and Microsoft saying they now support cross-play, and Sony saying nothing.

Sorry I was trying to get some links for you on this one. This is what was referring to and after cross-play with any platform was announced by MS.
2016 - https://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/1...x-one-talks-mmo-square-enix-microsoft-e3-2016
2017 - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-14-director-wants-switch-and-xbox-on/1100-6451129/

FFXIV wasn't on Xbox One due to policy as always. Outside of UWP Windows 10/Xbox games, Xbox really doesn't have much support with cross-play as the illusion appears. I would be very leery of using Minecraft as a measuring stick to show MS is very serious with cross-play on platforms because after more than a year of being announced, not much has come up of it. Fortnite is an example of that. Sure, we do not know the details, but blame cannot be put on Sony for something that is not Xbox/PC crossplay.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's totally an issue. It doesn't become a non-issue just because people are used to it. People are used to all sorts of legitimate issues.

Everyone knows the business reasons behind it. Those business reasons are just shitty for consumers. If I can't play games with my friends at the same time because we're split across platforms, it doesn't make me feel better that at least Sony is turning a profit. Fuck that.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
I should have specified that it's not about this game it's about crossplay in general. you can do private matches with your friends on other platforms on Rocket League and I think with the account system on Minecraft you can do it there as well. And it pisses me off simply because I have friends who have Switches and Xbones with multiplatform games, I'm the one with the Ps4 and the only reason I can't play games like these with them is because Sony deciding that for me
Ah ok, when you put it that way I see. Sucks cause I don't think Sony will enable it cause it just comes down to business and them being 1st in console sold. Some people don't care (me) some care like you, in the end I guess Sony just gotta cave and allow it to make the people that care happy.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread is about Fortnite so I'm talking about Fortnite.

For there to be externally purchased content useable on PS4, there has be a deal in place. Otherwise the shit wouldn't be certified on PS4 to begin with. You can't buy PS4 Madden DLC on Origin. That shit has to be purchased on PSN. That's the rule. Those cross-platform games break that rule, so there must be a deal in place.

I'm sorry, was I imagining things when I saw Minecraft mentioned? Madden isn't crossplay nor does it sync your progress across multiple platforms, it's a poor example to use.

You keep talking about this "deal" do you have any external links that point towards this being a likely scenario or are you basing this off your feelings? If such deals exist why don't they extend to games like Street Fighter V (which is crossplay between PS4/PC) where there is actually evidence that a deal took place?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I WISH I could use my PS4 account and everything I bought on Xbox One, have the 150 bucks limited edition and so much stuff in Battle Royale, I would like to play on my X more often but not with starting from scratch.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, was I imagining things when I saw Minecraft mentioned? Madden isn't crossplay nor does it sync your progress across multiple platforms.

You keep talking about this "deal" do you have any external links that point towards this being a likely scenario or are you basing this off your feelings? If such deals exist why don't they extend to games like Street Fighter V where there is actually evidence that a deal took place?
Read my post again. The "deal" must exist because content can be purchased on another platform and then used on PS4. I can buy Paragon skins on PC and use them on PS4 (and vice versa). We know that a deal must exist then, because per Sony's own policies DLC content has to be purchased through PSN (same with Xbox, Steam). Since that isn't the case in these games, we know that there must at least be some rudimentary deal in place.

It's not speculation. There *is* a deal. If there wasn't, Fortnite wouldn't have been certified on PS4. We're only speculating about the terms of that deal.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Psyonix needs to follow suit and flip that switch. If Sony wants to stop them from making their games better they should actually be forced to do it through whatever mechanisms for enforcement Sony has over publishers/developers.
I want this only because I already bought it on Xbox and was going to double dip again for Switch, but didn't want to have to start all over/unlock all these sweet decals and stuff again.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Read my post again. The "deal" must exist because content can be purchased on another platforms and then used on PS4. I can buy Paragon skins on PC and use them on PS4 (and vice versa). We know that a deal must exist then, because per Sony's own policies DLC content has to be purchased through PSN (same with Xbox, Steam). Since that isn't the case in these games, we know that there must at least be some rudimentary deal in place.

It's not speculation. There *is* a deal. If there wasn't, Fortnite wouldn't have been certified on PS4. We're only speculating about the terms of that deal.

So you're trying to make an argument based on your own speculation about a fictional deal that prevents Microsoft from allowing Xbox players to have crossbuy and the ability to sync their accounts up with the PC version. Gotcha.

Murdamonk

Oct 27, 2017
Devs should unite and tell Sony that if they don't allow crossplay they will remove their games from the platform. If enough big games did it, Sony would buckle.

At the moment, Sony is in the position of power. Devs don't want their games on that console, it is their lost. Sony doesn't have PUBG on the PS4 right now, and their sales barely slowdown.

I think that once MS or Nintendo take the lead, Sony will change their approach and allow cross-platform games on their system.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you're trying to make an arguement based on your own speculation about a fictional deal that prevents Microsoft from allowing Xbox players from having crossbuy and syncing their accounts up with the PC version. Gotcha.
I'm saying I can't think of any other reason.

Microsoft came out in support of cross-network play over 2 years ago. They've called out Sony by name and said things like "we're ready" and welcome anyone else who wants to take part. We know that MS is open to the idea of letting you use DLC purchased on other platforms. They've proven this. We also know that there must be some sort of deal between Epic and Sony to allow Fortnite content purchased on PC to be used on PS4. We know all these things to be true. Not speculation.

...but yes, I am speculating that there might be a clause in the Fortnite DLC-sharing agreement that locks out Xbox from the party. Because given the facts that we know, it's the only conceivable reason for Xbox to not get the same treatment as PS4.

Last edited:

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017

maybe it's a non issue for you. that doesn't make it a non issue for everybody. a lot of people buy consoles their friends have. by this logic then what would Sony have to lose by letting the devs leave the switch on?

I always buy playstation consoles, regardless of which console most of the people I know are buying. As well, I don't know what you're getting at by saying this is not a charity. Sony wouldn't have to give anything up by opening the doors to cross platformplay.
Ah ok, when you put it that way I see. Sucks cause I don't think Sony will enable it cause it just comes down to business and them being 1st in console sold. Some people don't care (me) some care like you, in the end I guess Sony just gotta cave and allow it to make the people that care happy.
I don't think Sony will cave because like you said, they are top dog so they know they don't need to which makes this reality a disappointment

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017

Microsoft came out in support of cross-network play over 2 years ago. They've callout Sony by name and said things like "we're ready" and welcome anyone else who wants to take part. We know that MS is open to the idea of letting you use DLC purchased on other platforms. They've proven this. We also know that there must be some sort of deal between Epic and Sony to allow Fortnite content purchased on PC to be used on PS4. We know all these things to be true. Not speculation.

...but yes, I am speculating that there might be a clause in the Fortnite DLC-sharing agreement that locks out Xbox from the party. Because given the facts that we know, it's the only conceivable reason for Xbox to not get the same treatment as PS4.

To the bolded, this only applies to Minecraft as it is controlled and owned by Microsoft. If that was the case, then any Rocket League DLC purchases on Xbox would work on other platforms. The same applies to Xbox/Windows 10 games, not games outside of the Microsoft Store. I am with GHG on this "deal" between Epic and Sony. I would think that if there was such a deal in place to prevent Xbox content purchases, then there would be would be huge blowback for an Epic employee stating his opinion at TGAs to violate such a deal by attempting to put Sony in a negative light. Fact is, we don't know and will probably never know why Xbox/PC can't do crossplay on Fortnite, but the blame shouldn't be on Sony for that.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017

For DCUO it should be noted that the game was originally made and released by a Sony company and not some random third party. The game from day 1 was scoped with the idea of a shared wallet between PC and Playstation consoles. That most likely has a lot to do with the lack of crossplay in that case.

I'm certain that accountants for these companies would had to try and keep track of how the money is coming in on 1/3 of the project but gets utilized in a separate 2/3.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To the bolded, this only applies to Minecraft as it is controlled and owned by Microsoft. If that was the case, then any Rocket League DLC purchases on Xbox would work on other platforms. The same applies to Xbox/Windows 10 games, not games outside of the Microsoft Store. I am with GHG on this "deal" between Epic and Sony. I would think that if there was such a deal in place to prevent Xbox content purchases, then there would be would be huge blowback for an Epic employee stating his opinion at TGAs to violate such a deal by attempting to put Sony in a negative light. Fact is, we don't know and will probably never know why Xbox/PC can't do crossplay on Fortnite, but the blame shouldn't be on Sony for that.
Whose to say there wasn't blowback for the Epic employee? It's not like that sort of thing would be made public. Besides, he never mentioned any platform holder by name.

You're correct in saying that we don't know for sure and probably never will. I'm just saying in a industry where both major platform holders do moneyhat deals to keep DLC away from the other, I can absolutely see Sony making such an arrangement for Fortnite.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This pretty much sums up the situation between Sony and Epic.

dfmZ5.gif

Nebuzel

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest benefitiary of cross-play are individual games, not platforms. Games that have smaller communities and older or niche games definitely benefit from cross-play. These communities have the potential to survive longer instead of being on life-support and isolated on a respective platform.

Massively popular games like Fortnite, Rocket League, Minecraft, etc all tend to raise awareness about the issue, but ironically cross-play is less vital in these games.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Microsoft came out in support of cross-network play over 2 years ago. They've callout Sony by name and said things like "we're ready" and welcome anyone else who wants to take part. We know that MS is open to the idea of letting you use DLC purchased on other platforms. They've proven this. We also know that there must be some sort of deal between Epic and Sony to allow Fortnite content purchased on PC to be used on PS4. We know all these things to be true. Not speculation.

The only games that allow you to have cross-buy and cross-platform syncing of progress on the Xbox platform between Xbox and PC are those on the windows store under the "UWP umbrella".

Tim Sweeney is the CEO and founder of Epic Games. He has been less than positive about UWP as a platform in the past. As such do you think they are likely to do a UWP version of the game which would allow Xbox players with the cross-buy and cross-platform syncing options?

Microsoft's PR on this matter has been better than they have been given credit for considering what they have people believing. Outside of Rocket League all of the other crossplay stuff they have is well within their own four walls so to speak. They are 100% open to all things crossplay, crossbuy and cross platform syncing so long as a UWP version of that game is also created.

woodcutter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nj
if I were the owner of the leading console in the gaming industry,I would tell these hooligans to knock this shit off. you want cross play. buy what your friends have. as a normal person this is great news and hopefully comes to fruition soon.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Whose to say there wasn't blowback for the Epic employee? It's not like that sort of thing would be made public. Besides, he never mentioned any platform holder by name.

You're correct in saying that we don't know for sure and probably never will. I'm just saying in a industry where both major platform holders do moneyhat deals to keep DLC away from the other, I can absolutely see Sony making such an arrangement for Fortnite.

True. As long as there wasn't media headlines on the matter, then that blowback isn't going to be public and pretty much everyone knew what he was alluding to. I mean, the dude sounded so nervous like he was a hooker in church lol.

We will just disagree on the Sony arrangement in regards to Fortnite preventing Xbox/PC play.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
As a father who watches his kids play effortlessly on Samsung phones to Apple phones...to pc..to lpads on games like rules of survival...Minecraft etc cross play will be a wanted more in the future as the younger generation get older.

There should be no silos...the more players for third party titles makes a better business return for third parties where their libraries make up 95% of the consoles game library.....the trade off is...hey customers like it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
For DCUO it should be noted that the game was originally made and released by a Sony company and not some random third party. The game from day 1 was scoped with the idea of a shared wallet between PC and Playstation consoles. That most likely has a lot to do with the lack of crossplay in that case.

I'm certain that accountants for these companies would had to try and keep track of how the money is coming in on 1/3 of the project but gets utilized in a separate 2/3.

SOE never really synergised with Playstation in the way people would expect. SOE was like part of Sony Entertainment, or movies. Sony groups act like CIA and FBI, part of a bigger picture, but separate from one another, not sharing much. I think most of their games went to windows. One went to Xbox DC Online, and after sony sold it H1Z1. They seemed more like a second party developer for Playstation when they made games for PS2 - PS4.

Last edited: