• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
As usual, complete lack of empathy from some people here. So I take it none of you ever cheated or copied for an exam/project when you were 17 ? Now imagine something so stupid banned you for life from a possible career or job.
I did some "cheating" in my life, I payed for it greatly and I fealt guilty about it. And it was right to punish me this hard, school is not a joke.
He was making money so losing is "job" is correct, because there are many other people with the "same job" that earn money without cheating but working harder than him.
He is young, he can find a new way to live is life, hopefully not trying to cheat again to make his life easier and then complain about it.

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I don't even know who this guy is but seeing a cheater get banned would be already amazing.
Seeing one crying is even better. Thanks for this post OP
And, yes, 17 is definitely old enough to understand what were the consequences of what he was doing.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
He wasn't just cheating (that in itself deserves the ban imo) but he was then encouraging his 2m subscribers - mostly young and impressionable I would imagine- to think that sort of behaviour was normal and 'fun'. Imagine how many people went and downloaded cheats after watching his video? How many peoples games and enjoyment were ruined because of his video? Fuck all cheaters.

Perversely this has made his subscriber count go up considerably.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
As usual, complete lack of empathy from some people here. So I take it none of you ever cheated or copied for an exam/project when you were 17 ? Now imagine something so stupid banned you for life from a possible career or job.

I sure did a lot of dumb shit when I was 17.

For the record I think a lifetime ban for aimbots is over the top regardless of what age you are.

Get a grip dude. This isn't a damn therapy session, we don't owe this kid any empathy. Sure I cheated at that time too, and got CAUGHT. Actions have consequences. Reinforcement and punishment. Basic behavior.

Christ you guys want everything to be forgiven lol

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If you're caught cheating in an online game, you should always get a lifetime ban no matter what

If you want to ruin the game for others, it's best to just remove you from the playerbase

It's easy not to cheat

Horp

Nov 16, 2017

For the record I think a lifetime ban for aimbots is over the top regardless of what age you are.
No I did not. I didn't cheat when I was 12 either. And cheating at 17 can allow you to unfairly steal the spot in higher education schools, which can be life changing. Your cheating perhaps costed someone a spot; talk about life changing.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

This post, and others like it in this thread, completely prove my theory that the only people who stand up to defend cheaters are cheaters themselves. They think that if other people are punished for cheating that they could end up in a similar situation. This is a good thing. We want them to feel this way, and hopefully it is a deterrent to some of them. And to those who it's not...lifetime bans are hopefully more and more of a thing going forward.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
Get a grip dude. This isn't a damn therapy session, we don't owe this kid any empathy. Sure I cheated at that time too, and got CAUGHT. Actions have consequences. Reinforcement and punishment. Basic behavior.

Christ you guys want everything to be forgiven lol

Don't want anything to be forgiven at all ( but do think lifetime ban is excessive ). Just don't think there is any positive that comes from publicly shitting on a person over something so stupid.

This post, and others like it in this thread, completely prove my theory that the only people who stand up to defend cheaters are cheaters themselves. They think that if other people are punished for cheating that they could end up in a similar situation.

That's one hell of an assumption there. Have we met before or something ?

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
So not only did he cheat, but he made a (monetized) video all about it and essentially encouraged his followers to do it? He 100% deserves the lifetime ban.

Why would anyone give this guy a pass or feel sorry for him? He clearly knew what would happen if he cheated considering what he did. This is a classic case of play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Don't want anything to be forgiven at all ( but do think lifetime ban is excessive ). Just don't think there is any positive that comes from publicly shitting on a person over something so stupid.

That's one hell of an assumption there. Have we met before or something ?

There are a large number of responses to your empathy post for a reason.

This 17yo who basically made millions off of YouTube deserves to be banned from their game based on the monetized videos that were advertising cheating and also instructional video on how to bypass a ban.

You can feel bad for him if you like but punishment is well deserved here.

I mean if he has multiple computers and some are used directly for cheating do you not see the writing on the wall. Why give him the benefit of doubt? Why assume he is a good in a bad situation? A kid who isn't what he recorded.

Last edited:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
h5vxXwf.gif

Deleted member 25888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm gonna hold off on judgement until we hear about the results of his affluenza testing. Ya never know these days.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
There are a large number of responses to your empathy post for a reason.

This 17yo who basically made millions off of YouTube deserves to be banned from their game based on the monetized videos that were advertising cheating and also instructional video on how to bypass a ban.

You can feel bad for him if you like but punishment is well deserved here.

Fair point and listen I probably am not getting my point across very well. I am not saying people should be empathetic to the ban but his situation. People fuck up all the time and sometimes stupidly so. Nothing good comes from people piling on this guy. That video of him bawling his eyes out is out there and will forever be tied to him. Multiple DailyMail articles and fucking interviews with his mum etc...imagine reading some of the shit being written on other sites that shall remain unnamed .

He cheated and he was banned and as some posters have said here I hope he learns a lesson from this.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017

I managed to get past my teenage years without cheating in an online multiplayer game. Not only was I able to refrain from cheating, I did not need to have a promising career signed under an eSports brand and have the many watchful eyes of YouTube and Twitch views as motivation to avoid using cheats.

Oct 25, 2017
Fair point and listen I probably am not getting my point across very well. I am not saying people should be empathetic to the ban but his situation. People fuck up all the time and sometimes stupidly so. Nothing good comes from people piling on this guy. That video of him bawling his eyes out is out there and will forever be tied to him. Multiple DailyMail articles and fucking interviews with his mum etc...imagine reading some of the shit being written on other sites that shall remain unnamed .

He cheated and he was banned and as some posters have said here I hope he learns a lesson from this.

Give it a few years nobody will remember him. In fact in a few years he'll probably look back and think "I deserved that".

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I have empathy for the kid and still think the permaban is fine; the 2 things aren't mutually exclusive.

It's about what policy makes sense for an online videogame; to me it makes sense for them to permaban anyone who cheats, let alone someone who does it on a stream and actively talks about stuff like "don't do it 2 games in a row it will get you caught" on said stream.

The fact that he was probably just being dumb and not outright malicious and that it might cost him dearly makes me have empathy for him; that doesn't change the idea that Epic's policy makes sense.

Cheaters materially effect companies that produce online videogames. It's not a joke to them, nor should it be.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
You said "I take if none of you have cheated when you were 17", implying that you have. You admitted to being a cheater. Own it at least.

That was implying that I didn't believe no one else posting had cheated. I did admit to doing dumb shit when I was 17, I do own that and I am certainly glad we didn't have camera phones back then.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Also the "have you ever cheated in school" example doesn't even really work here. A more apt analogy would be cheating in school, gathering the entire student body and giving them presentations on how to cheat, giving them tools to cheat, and then also showing them how to avoid being caught for said cheating. It isn't just that he got caught cheating, its that he had a widespread audience to show how to cheat, to give the tools to cheat, and to avoid being caught from cheating. A ban for life is more than warranted.

Honestly the fact he can just make a new account means epic didn't go far enough

That was implying that I didn't believe no one else posting had cheated. I did admit to doing dumb shit when I was 17, I do own that and I am certainly glad we didn't have camera phones back then.
Oh no the horrors of being held accountable for your actions in a camera phone age.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Also the "have you ever cheated in school" example doesn't even really work here. A more apt analogy would be cheating in school, gathering the entire student body and giving them presentations on how to cheat, giving them tools to cheat, and then also showing them how to avoid being caught for said cheating. It isn't just that he got caught cheating, its that he had a widespread audience to show how to cheat, to give the tools to cheat, and to avoid being caught from cheating. A ban for life is more than warranted.

Honestly the fact he can just make a new account means epic didn't go far enough
He showed the accounts getting banned, so hardly avoided the being caught part. He also says "you will get banned"

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019
You said "I take if none of you have cheated when you were 17", implying that you have. You admitted to being a cheater. Own it at least.

Oh come on, stop acting like you never did stupid shit. Everyone does stupid shit when theyre young to different degrees. Everyone. Thats why we (mostly) have parents, teachers etc. to guide us and set kids on the right track. Some people dont have that and stay on those other paths. But to act like you guys were the perfect kids is just complete bullshit. You werent. When there are shortcuts available, most kids (and adults) will be tempted by them.

That being said, this kid admitted he was going to cheat, then proceeded to cheat all the while profiting off his "play" during his monetized streams. He deserves to be treated like a cheater. Lesson learned. he wont cheat again. Not in fortnite anyway.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He showed the accounts getting banned, so hardly avoided the being caught part. He also says "you will get banned"
This literally changes nothing about what I said. Everyone knows the consequences of getting caught (except him apparently), and he made videos showing people how to best hide how to get caught, regardless of whether it worked or not.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Oh come on, stop acting like you never did stupid shit. Everyone does stupid shit when theyre young to different degrees. Everyone. Thats why we (mostly) have parents, teachers etc. to guide us and set kids on the right track. Some people dont have that and stay on those other paths. But to act like you guys were the perfect kids is just complete bullshit. You werent. When there are shortcuts available, most kids (and adults) will be tempted by them.

That being said, this kid admitted he was going to cheat, then proceeded to cheat all the while profiting off his "play" during his monetized streams. He deserves to be treated like a cheater. Lesson learned. he wont cheat again. Not in fortnite anyway.

I never said I didn't do stupid shit (I did more than my share), but I was held accountable for the stupid shit I did, and I grew and learned from it. I didn't cheat though and I don't condone the act of cheating. The fact that there are people who don't want him to be held accountable by simply being held to TOS, and learn and grow from it, is the issue I'm having.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
I was a total scumbag dude when I was a teenager, but I still understood rules and the consequences for breaking them. This is like kids who pick on mentally challenged kids at school and the people who pull out the old "their just kids" line of bs as a defence of them. Just because I'm not sympathetic for this kid doesn't make me a dick.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

First he claims he used an aimbot in a non competitive mode so if that part is true, in that sense I agree that the ban was overexuberant. Cheating in non competitive game modes is pretty meaningless since Who wins is irrelevant.

But you must be kidding with the rest of that stuff. Is accountability not a thing anymore ? Consequences for your own actions ?

If I was 17 in a potential career that could set me up for life I would follow the rules? Especially the very obvious rules that everybody is aware of. You use cheating on a test as an example but if you get caught doing that you get expelled and lose the qualification entirely and rightly so.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
First he claims he used an aimbot in a non competitive mode so if that part is true, in that sense I agree that the ban was overexuberant. Cheating in non competitive game modes is pretty meaningless since Who wins is irrelevant.

But you must be kidding with the rest of that stuff. Is accountability not a thing anymore ? Consequences for your own actions ?

If I was 17 in a potential career that could set me up for life I would follow the rules? Especially the very obvious rules that everybody is aware of. You use cheating on a test as an example but if you get caught doing that you get expelled and lose the qualification entirely and rightly so.
The ban is fully justified when we consider teo things:

His audience is large and very impressionable.

And if they don't come down hard on cheating, cheaters will have little to fear.

Jun 23, 2019
Lol he got what he deserved, but the total la k of empathy in this thread is hilarious. Apparently all of you are infallible beings of perfection. 😂😂😂

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This post, and others like it in this thread, completely prove my theory that the only people who stand up to defend cheaters are cheaters themselves. They think that if other people are punished for cheating that they could end up in a similar situation. This is a good thing. We want them to feel this way, and hopefully it is a deterrent to some of them. And to those who it's not...lifetime bans are hopefully more and more of a thing going forward.
I've never cheated in an online game and have no desire to. It's the punishment that to me is over the top. Doesn't fit the crime. If he did it repeatedly, or maliciously then I'd have no remorse. That (afaik) is not the case here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
What a dirtbag. I hope the lifetime ban sticks and gets enforced on any attempt they make at streaming the game. When someone knows they're doing wrong, is profiting from it, and does it at the expense of others, something as basic as being told they can't play with others is the most utterly reasonable response.

Also, today I learned some people don't know what empathy actually means in the context of social spaces, knowledge of wrongdoing, and incredibly mild consequences that result.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've never cheated in an online game and have no desire to. It's the punishment that to me is over the top. Doesn't fit the crime. If he did it repeatedly, or maliciously then I'd have no remorse. That (afaik) is not the case here.

It's just holding him to the TOS. There is nothing over the top about that.
If they went beyond holding him to the same standards as everyone else, that might be over the top, but treating everyone equally and fairly is not, in any way, over the top.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Perma-Ban?
Fuck yes!

17 isnt frikken 7?
17 is old enough to read.....hes like one year away from University.
Hes crying like someone killed a family member.

" I cant play fortnite" boo hoo.....you are 17 years old get serious.
Mistake of law motherfucker.

I pray they dont unban him.
I hope every account he starts gets banned ASAP.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Banning someone for cheating in an online game is the bare minimum they can do.

It's not up to Epic to worry about what content he'll have to create for his subscribers now.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
This literally changes nothing about what I said. Everyone knows the consequences of getting caught (except him apparently), and he made videos showing people how to best hide how to get caught, regardless of whether it worked or not.
It does, because he didn't hide the fact at all. He used a different PC because he didn't want to risk a system ban, having another high end PC isn't really useable advice, but he didn't teach people anything in the video, he just says some guy gave me aimbot, it looks like this, you will get banned and then after a couple games got banned. Where was he showing how to hide it?

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Lol he got what he deserved, but the total la k of empathy in this thread is hilarious. Apparently all of you are infallible beings of perfection. 😂😂😂

Sounds like you're reaching a bit lol. Nobody is saying we're perfect, but I'm gonna call somebody out on their shit and mistakes. I would want someone to do the same to me. *shrugs*

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019

Why should we? He publicly said he would do it, did it and then got caught. And im supposed to feel bad for him? lol i Dont. Not in the slightest.

Luckily for me, i play on console where cheating is less prevalent. But for people on PC, the only people i feel bad for are the people who are stuck in servers playing against these people.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Banning is fine, but for a first time offender perma is too much in my book, considering that he didn't hide it and didn't do it in a competitive game mode.