• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
IecJn0vl.jpg

The Ear Force Stealth 600 is the best-selling headset in the US in 2018.
US gaming headset sales increased 96% in March and are up 78% in Q1. Turtle Beach is the leading manufacturer of gaming headsets in the US.

http://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/fortnite-pubg-headset-sales-1202806490/

Choice quotes:

"The business is doing really, really well and what's driving that, beyond our strategy and being a good quality product, is the Fortnite, PUBG, and battle royale craze, which has introduced a bunch of new people into games," said Turtle Beach CEO Juergen Stark.

Turtle Beach, which accounts for nearly 46% of the gaming headset market share, saw a 185% increase in net revenue over the same period last year, according to its first-quarter earnings report released this week. The company was selling so many headsets, Stark said, that it will be spending more than $4 million this quarter on air-freighting new stock into the country.

"We've got sell-through data in models that go back years, and it is very clear that starting at the beginning of January that these two games had taken off on Xbox and PlayStation," he said. "And it's very clear it's these two games that are driving a unique new phenomenon that is driving in new players and increasing headset use."

"Because 'Fortnite' is free, there's this opportunity to buy peripherals," he said. "Instead of spending $60 on a game, they can spend $60 on a headset."

Last edited:

Twiz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't expect them to have such a big chunk of the business. Doesn't everyone just buy 1st party peripherals? I know I do.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That's pretty interesting but makes a lot of sense.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I knew they were a big player, did not realize they had nearly half the market share. The boom makes sense - while nearly every PvP multiplayer game benefits from headphone and headset use, I feel like PUBG and Fortnite make it almost mandatory if you want to have a shot at winning.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
That's nuts... I know it makes a HUGE difference when you're playing the game, but so does wearing Astros/TB's during COD and that's been popular for a while.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Fortnite cannot be denied. Has there been a game this big since COD? Just constant major mainstream success and literally drives industry trends. It's really amazing.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
turtle-beach-recon-chat.jpg

It's these ones that are selling the most, in my experience. Kids get them, break them, then get another pair.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who used to use Turtle Beach... Egh, they're terrible and overpriced. They break easily on their own, and the most infamous "feature" of them I can recall is their wires curling in on themselves and getting cut by their own friction. I was burning through so much electrical-tape to keep these things functional before I trashed them.

You want a good gaming headset? Go with literally anything Logitech. They've got great features, undeniably solid builds, and are relatively cheap.

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who used to use Turtle Beach... Egh, they're terrible and overpriced. They break easily on their own, and the most infamous "feature" of them I can recall is their wires curling in on themselves and getting cut by their own friction. I was burning through so much electrical-tape to keep these things functional before I trashed them.

You want a good gaming headset? Go with literally anything Logitech. They've got great features, undeniably solid builds, and are relatively cheap.

I can confirm that Turtle Beach comment. Probably the worst headset Ive bought. I will have to look into Logitech.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

I use the G35 since 2005 or so. I am only at my second pair and use them daily.

81DfyaPPrSL._SY355_.jpg

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I truly can't even imagine trying to play pubg without turtle beaches. You would be at an incredible disadvantage.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Mostly for audiochat. Can still use speakers for music.

I have a pair like that for the Switch so I can hear the game audio from the TV in my other ear.

Thanks for the explanation. Still, I would go crazy with only hearing from one ear (the chat comes from the earpiece and not from the TV right?)

If I would do couch gaming, I would still use full immersion headphones with TV sound off and would have to find a solution like the Teamspeak3 function that lowers game sound when someone in the chat speaks.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Thanks for the explanation. Still, I would go crazy with only hearing from one ear (the chat comes from the earpiece and not from the TV right?)

Yep! :)

If I would do couch gaming, I would still use full immersion headphones with TV sound off and would have to find a solution like the Teamspeak3 function that lowers game sound when someone in the chat speaks.

I'm also all about stereo headset, however they cost twice as much compared to these cheaper alternative to team chat.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
heh, i bought my son a turtle beach headset so he can chat with his neighborhood friends when they play fortnite.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
So many kids chatting in Fortnite. This summer everyone is a camp counselor.

I can just see the kids in summer camp playing Fortnite all day long.

Man, that's a business idea! Advertise your summer camp as 1/3 Fortnite "LAN party", 1/3 real-life battle royal enactment, and 1/3 boring summer camp stuff like going swimming and so on.

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
Literally for kids then? I mean, I would imagine most teens know by know they want stereo headsets so they can hear around them...
I remember talking with a friend when we were 24ish and mentioning off hand that I was having trouble seeing the L vs R side on my buds. He asked me why it mattered. Turned out he had no idea on what stereo sound actually meant. It's less important for some people than you'd think.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I have a pair of turtle beach headphones. They were expensive but in the end they were not worth the price. I use a pair hyperX cloud 2 and those were amazing for the $80 I paid.

Good to see a healthy market for them. Headphones are almost required in fortnite. Knowing where a sniper bullied was fired is key. Or just listening to footsteps.