• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Two of the below are projected, to note.

hndj1.jpg

Source: https://blog.apptopia.com/fortnite-clears-100m-downloads-and-160m-in-iap-revenue

Oct 25, 2017
Great game, tons of fun, available everywhere and you play with your friends. Fortnite is the biggest phenomenon.

How do they even play this?

Mobile controls aren't tough, unless you can't make the jump. Older folks usually have that problem moreso than people who have spent a ton of time with touch controls. Just takes some time.

Oct 25, 2017
100M always seemed like a crazy number for a video game to reach.
That means your game is played by more people than had a Wii.
Weird games hit that number too like Sonic Dash.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what, Super Mario Run was the fastest? I always assumed that game was a relative flop.
It was because those downloads didn't convert to buyers. People weren't playing after the "trial" portion of the game.
I played the first world but never brought the others worlds... that is what happened... it was a model that flopped hard.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/31/14451180/super-mario-run-paying-conversation-rate-revenue

Before it got to 100 million downloads Mario Run had a 5% conversion rate, and made about 50 million dollars. Maybe not what Nintendo was looking for, but pretty good for such a low-budget game. I'd hardly call it a flop, but it doesn't generate as much profit as games that are designed to perpetually ask people for money.

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/31/14451180/super-mario-run-paying-conversation-rate-revenue

Before it got to 100 million downloads Mario Run had a 5% conversion rate, and made about 50 million dollars. Maybe not what Nintendo was looking for, but pretty good for such a low-budget game. I'd hardly call it a flop, but it doesn't generate as much profit as games that are designed to perpetually ask people for money.
They left a shitload of money on the table by doing it the way they did it. Big disservice to their investors to leverage what's arguably one of the most popular properties like that.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina

5% is pretty much a flop in the world of F2P mobile games...

Mobile focused sites called it flop:

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Why...a-flop-and-we-shouldve-seen-it-coming_id89442
https://www.technoglobin.com/2017/05/23/5-reasons-super-mario-run-flop/

Own Nintendo consider it a flop:

https://ifanzine.com/news-roundup-nintendo-consider-super-mario-run-a-flop-more/

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Mario should have been regular $5 app, no need for that trial model which probably cannibalized the sales. I personally played the trial and felt like I got everything I needed out of the game from it.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
How do they even play this?

I've only payed Fortnite on mobile (the newest console I own is a N3Ds) and you get surprisingly used to it. I really like aiming with the touch screen (really precise!) and the last update implemented gyro controls. You also open chest and choose items by tapping on said item on screen and doors open automatically.

The "left stick" movement can be a bit iffy and I find I have to constantly look down in order to hit the "build" button and choose what I want to build.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Does this mean 100 million players on IOS? The 128 million total players across all platforms or something like that they announced a few months ago seems weird now

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not necessarily, played is a relative term (in this case). I would bet that most people who downloaded the game, played only for a few minutes, just to see what's the game everyone keeps talking about. But still, impressive numbers.

It's the beauty of mobile though. A huge chunk of the world has a device in their pocket able to play games. Rise to the top on that platform and you're set.

Oct 27, 2017
Does this mean 100 million players on IOS? The 128 million total players across all platforms or something like that they announced a few months ago seems weird now

The previous announcement is outdated now. In fact, it might have been outdated when it was made. Just stand-by, there will be an infographic for the anniversary.

What I really like about this news piece is that the every users generated $1.6 on average.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The previous announcement is outdated now. In fact, it might have been outdated when it was made. Just stand-by, there will be an infographic for the anniversary.

What I really like about this news piece is that the every users generated $1.6 on average.
This to me just means the game is growing at a crazy pace, hopefully we get some new numbers soon.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What's the last game on that graph? Don't recognize that icon

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
They left a shitload of money on the table by doing it the way they did it. Big disservice to their investors to leverage what's arguably one of the most popular properties like that.

They did, but I think that they left that money on the table. A good Mario platformer on mobile that's highly profitable can still be made. They played things conservatively so that they wouldn't sour people with bad monetization on what, ultimately, isn't that good of a game.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
runs better than the switch version imo, but the controls.. I just cant. So I stick with ps4/switch.

Oct 28, 2017
It wouldn't, that's a strange take

Nintendo doesn't drop prices on first party games, or doesn't over-ship items with major IP on them like the NES Classic, or doesn't make Super Mario Run a $2 game for a reason.

They feel their IP, especially their top shelf stuff like Mario, is worth a certain amount of money and they would rather see Super Mario Run flop rather than drop the price of the game to make it a success.

The Mario IP keeping a high value in the eyes of consumers is more important to them than the success of any individual Mario game.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doesn't drop prices on first party games, or doesn't over-ship items with major IP on them like the NES Classic, or doesn't make Super Mario Run a $2 game for a reason.

They feel their IP, especially their top shelf stuff like Mario, is worth a certain amount of money and they would rather see Super Mario Run flop rather than drop the price of the game to make it a success.

The Mario IP keeping a high value in the eyes of consumers is more important to them than the success of any individual Mario game.
a shitty, poor game at any price is a shitty, poor game. I don't think this master strategy of keeping the pricing high is what's keeping people into Merrio. free is the future.

Oct 26, 2017
a shitty, poor game at any price is a shitty, poor game. I don't think this master strategy of keeping the pricing high is what's keeping people into Merrio. free is the future.

I mean, we did clearly see that f2p garbage in blockbuster games harms brands like... last year.

Battlefront 2 killed off f2p mobile garbage for the near future for AAA games.

Now, maybe there should have been more costumes you could pay money for to put on Mario and Peach, but the game doesn't seem like the type of game that would benefit from lots of cosmetics.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we did clearly see that f2p garbage in blockbuster games harms brands like... last year.

Battlefront 2 killed off f2p mobile garbage for the near future for AAA games.

Now, maybe there should have been more costumes you could pay money for to put on Mario and Peach, but the game doesn't seem like the type of game that would benefit from lots of cosmetics.
honestly the best thing they could have done was make the game more fun to play

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017

Having those kinds of download figures and not capitalizing on it is a huge missed opportunity.

Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
i have a switch...and i download this game with my other switch players a few weeks ago, we havent stopped playing. thank you fortnite for coming to nintendo. I seriously have no words. They deserve every sale, such a fun game ;) the download figures are totally worth it and im not even a mobile gamer and i play it on my iphone as well....so yeah great work

Deleted member 28193

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is surreal, last time I played a game that impressed me on a technical level that it's running on a phone like Fortnite was GTA 3 on the iPhone 4.

Surprisingly playable.