• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
zypw3imntll11.jpg

Fortnite on Nintendo Switch has been having lots of performance issues lately and it seems one of their (temporary?) solutions is to remove video capture, as it's known to decrease game performance a little.

Edit: official statement from Epic

Hey folks,

You may have noticed we've disabled the Video Capture feature on Nintendo Switch as of the v5.40.2 client update. This was done for performance and stability reasons as we've been seeing a high rate of Out of Memory related crashes. Disabling this feature saves a significant amount of RAM while also having a positive effect on overall performance across the board.

We've since added a line about this in the Patch Notes and we're considering the possibility of making this feature optional in the future for players who don't mind taking a hit on their performance.

Via Reddit

Last edited:

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Too late for me - used to play fairly regularly but the last update tanked the framerate and increased lag significantly. I gave up and probably won't be back.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
The patch before this one allowed video capture and it was running just as good as it is now. I loved capturing clips and I really hope this was a mistake and they bring it back

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
These limitations feel super lame for me, but I do wonder if there's some less obvious technical/memory scenario that the choice helps with.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
WHAT?! are they crazy? This was hands down my favorite functionality of switch while playing fortnite. What the hell!

GaussTek

Oct 30, 2017
I used to play when the game came out, and it worked pretty well... so, what happened? I know the game updates pretty often, but... did they change something big since then? Feels weird that even Epic is having perfomance trouble with UE4 and Switch :/

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
No replay mode, no career tab and now no video capture. The novelty of having this on a portable console has worn off on me now so I'll stick to Xbox.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is an unfortunate side effect of having a constantly updated game across 6 very different platforms. Hopefully they can figure out why performance tanked with some of the recent updates and fix it soon

dat boi

Oct 28, 2017
The game keeps getting worse on Switch performance-wise, which is not something we expected from Epic. I guess the content additions are straining the hardware pretty drastically?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The latest patch fixed a lot of the performance issues introduced in 5.0 and added gyro options to give back the original controls people liked.

Oct 26, 2017
The game keeps getting worse on Switch performance-wise, which is not something we expected from Epic. I guess the content additions are straining the hardware pretty drastically?
Nah, they basically eliminated the object streaming issue that made the last few patches impossible to land in Tilted Towers. The one second freeze when picking up the first item is also gone. They also implemented fully customisable gyro controls with an option to use jaw instead of roll, which makes it usable on the pro controller again.

Still, every patch there's something that breaks.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The latest patch fixed a lot of the performance issues introduced in 5.0 and added gyro options to give back the original controls people liked.

Indeed, guessing this is related. Any video capture running in the background will cause some sort of performance hitch; Nvidia Shadowplay on PC will take up a few %'s of your CPU and RAM but is largely unnoticed unless your resources are strained.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Weird because I was playing last night for hours and the latest patch improved things drastically, even motion controls on the Pro Controller are working well again.

Hope its put back in soon as I use it all the time

Oct 26, 2017
Indeed, guessing this is related. Any video capture running in the background will cause some sort of performance hitch; Nvidia Shadowplay on PC will take up a few %'s of your CPU and RAM but is largely unnoticed unless your resources are strained.
Nah, more likely some bug. They occasionally disable features to fix a bug.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Stopped playing anyway - it's gotten stale for me in terms of gameplay. Weirdly despite the building technically adding options, I find it actually makes each game basically play out exactly the same, forcing basically every gunfight to go the same way and every last circle to be the same. To a much bigger degree than other BR games. Shame, but I got a decent amount of fun out of it.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
The patch before this one allowed video capture and it was running just as good as it is now. I loved capturing clips and I really hope this was a mistake and they bring it back
Ditto. I love the Switch port and play it daily, and capturing video clips of my kills is my primary measurement of progress in my sucky skillz.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Should be able to do this via options so I doubt it. On PS4 I can tick a box so my voice chat is not recorded by other players, should I wish.

Plus that would be an issue for every game, not just Fortnite.
Not really as Fortnite is the only game that choose to develop its own custom implementation. Most games will use Nintendo official voice chat APIs through the app.

(even though that's 100% not the reason for this lol)

beni12

Oct 25, 2017
https://gonintendo.com/stories/317880-video-capture-disabled-in-fortnite
Epic's statement
"You may have noticed we've disabled the Video Capture feature on Nintendo Switch as of the v5.40.2 client update. This was done for performance and stability reasons as we've been seeing a high rate of Out of Memory related crashes. Disabling this feature saves a significant amount of RAM while also having a positive effect on overall performance across the board. We've since added a line about this in the Patch Notes and we're considering the possibility of making this feature optional in the future for players who don't mind taking a hit on their performance."

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To make Fortnite even smoother, I am all for it... I never used video capture much since it first came out in a patch... it's too short, and quality is not that good

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Glad to hear Epic might bring it back as an option. I'll take the hit, never had any problems before (at least nothing I'd be upset about).

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
https://gonintendo.com/stories/317880-video-capture-disabled-in-fortnite
Epic's statement
"You may have noticed we've disabled the Video Capture feature on Nintendo Switch as of the v5.40.2 client update. This was done for performance and stability reasons as we've been seeing a high rate of Out of Memory related crashes. Disabling this feature saves a significant amount of RAM while also having a positive effect on overall performance across the board. We've since added a line about this in the Patch Notes and we're considering the possibility of making this feature optional in the future for players who don't mind taking a hit on their performance."

Hmm memory related, I was wondering if this was a possible reason. The Switch has a certain amount of memory bandwidth that it can utilize.

Hope they figure it out in the future.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Switch recording was using the system allotted memory and processing.

No I meant the game performance, not the video capture. It's only been a few months but I do think Epic is still working how the best performance for Fortnite on the Switch, despite it being their own engine running it.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
Well the trade-off seems certainly worth it. Didn't even use the feature anyway. Maybe OP should update the thread title with the positives as well?

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
No I meant the game performance, not the video capture. It's only been a few months but I do think Epic is still working how the best performance for Fortnite on the Switch, despite it being their own engine running it.
I wouldn't think that video capture would affect the games in question?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Capturing replays is one of my favorite things, especially for Fortnite so this can't be temporary.

At the same time though the performance has really pissed me off and turned me off the game.

I was so sick of the terrible lag and world/object loading upon landing and getting your first weapon. It was a risk every single time.

They also broke the motion controls badly. It straight up just wouldn't read anything right, the sensitivity was completely fucked up. The X axis was worse, but the Y wasn't much better.

The first two versions of the game were the best. What the hell happened?

I'll go back and play if you can go back and get it to where it was before.

I want to play it, but all these issues are terrible. No capture is basically a deal breaker for me.