• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

For those who just felt deterred not to try the game because of the sweaty builders, well rejoice, there will be a LTM mode without building.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Might give the game another try then. Played it wayyyyy back when it dropped but the building stuff annoyed me despite nabbing a couple of wins. Couldn't hurt to see how it plays without any building at all.

Jun 20, 2021
My least favourite thing in Fortnite is hitting someone with two bullets and in between the first and second bullet hitting they've built a perfect 1:1 recreation of the Burj Khalifa.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even mind that much of the building but I would totally love a No Building Solos.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I assume they are starting with a LTM to gauge interest.

If they see a ton of people playing and enjoying the mode they might end up keeping it permanently down the road.

I also feel like this would be the "casual mode", as well. Meaning all the sweats would obviously still play the default game due to it being the core experience with the highest skill ceiling so playing a No Build Mode could actually be pretty fun and chill.

OP
OP
PLASTICA-MAN

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I thought it was an official announcement. LTM is ehh

Call me when its permanent.

LTM does not mean it will say for oen week and vanish. It is coudl be a etsting ground for somethign permanent. Team rumble and Impostors started as LTM too but are now permanent modes.

I assume they are starting with a LTM to gauge interest.

If they see a ton of people playing and enjoying the mode they might end up keeping it permanently down the road.

Exactly like TR and Impostors.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be glad to try it out but I don't even need the game to go to the extreme of no building, it would be nice if building had some sort of limits to it and wasn't this unpolished messy mechanic that had little forethought in its PVP design.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
sign me and my gang up. weve always liked the aesthetic of Fortnite but that building shit aint for our old asses.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be glad to try it out but I don't even need the game to go to the extreme of no building, it would be nice if building had some sort of limits to it and wasn't this unpolished messy mechanic that had little forethought in its PVP design.

That would also be kind of interesting. Like a Cooldown on building so you can still put up walls, ramps, floors and so on but you can't spam it. Enough to be useful but not endless.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
That would also be kind of interesting. Like a Cooldown on building so you can still put up walls, ramps, floors and so on but you can't spam it. Enough to be useful but not endless.
God, anything, have there be some time before you take out the blueprint page so that you can't materialize a 10x10ft wall hitbox a frame after shooting, whatever. The building in the game is like if Rainbow Edition was what Street Fighter 2 actually was. The mechanic is cool, unique, and is very much a big part of what makes the game stand out, but it's just so sloppy and cheesy to play with.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
I'm so down! I can't build to save my life even with the builder mode controller option. Zero idea how people build shit in like no time flat. I would rather a mode with a cool-down so you need to be strategic with building cover.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Sounds interesting to me. I've played Fortnite super casually over the years, but I don't know, something about building has always felt a bit intimidating to me. I've tried my hand at it a few times, but otherwise the few matches I've played I've mostly wound up just not bothering with it and seeing what happens. I know you're not obligated to build stuff (especially in a solo mode where you're not bringing a team down or anything by potentially being a bad builder), but personally I would appreciate a permanent mode with it turned off, if that's what this is going to be.
But again, I've played the game super casually, so I realize my opinion probably doesn't count for much in the way of community feedback and such.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I'd play again. I stopped because kids would build a fort around me and then light it on fire and kill me. I need an old person mode

Akela

Oct 28, 2017

It's weird how the building animations are obviously designed with the assumption that people wouldn't be spamming it, seeing as it takes like 5 seconds for each piece to assemble itself yet you can walk on it as soon as it's placed. It just looks so janky to look at.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
What's the point of that? Isn't that the whole game?
It's the main thing that sets it apart from other battle royales, but it's also something that a lot of players don't engage with, at least in my experience. Maybe most do, but there's at least a decent chunk that don't. It can be hard to wrap your head around, especially in the middle of an encounter.

I'd play the hell out a build-less mode. I hate trying to build things with a controller.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
What's the point of that? Isn't that the whole game?

One could argue what the point of the Battle Royale mode was when the actual game was a Co-Op PvE survival horde mode. The building mechanic in the BR mode is a broken mechanic that has been exploited by a small percentage of players into something that a mainstream audience seems to find exciting to watch.

IMO removing the building mode certainly isn't necessarily a fix, i'd personally like to see them rework the entire system to feel more organic and less spammy, but at the same time, when I play, I hardly use the building until the end game anyways, i suspect a lot of players don't build a lot or often as well.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it stopped being Save The World (Tower Defense) and became Battle Royale due to the massive popularity difference. The building may have set it apart from others, as well as the third person view. Time will tell if not having to worry about building will make for a better experience for a ton of people.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Not sure how this works when a large component of traversing elements of the map in smaller circles relies on building. Will be interesting to see how they resolve that.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

I'm with the building but there's always that one good match that gets ruined in the end by an OP master builder, used to drive me crazy lol

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how this works when a large component of traversing elements of the map in smaller circles relies on building. Will be interesting to see how they resolve that.
There are probably situations where someone will be completely boned, but the game's added so many mobility tools since launch -- I mean, we have web slinging in the game right now.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Having never played this, nor any other BR game, I may actually try this no build thing out. That's one of the things that even I saw ppl doing at lightning speed constantly, I was like nope! Still not sure I'll like the genre but yeah I might try it now

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue it raises is that the game's map design may not be suitable for this because you'd lack cover...whereas in other BR games you can go to cover in Fortnite you had to build it.

A better way may have been a limited build mode wherein building is slowed down and/or limited in numbers etc.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit. I might actually enjoy the game now. The worst partw as always the building imo. The idea is solid but in practice it's just a mess of fences and ramps and shit the moment you ping a person. The rest of the game is fine. Might actually play some now.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
There are probably situations where someone will be completely boned, but the game's added so many mobility tools since launch -- I mean, we have web slinging in the game right now.
Yeh, just thinking in the instance where it's a persistent mode over time. Since you'd imagine they'd have to account for it in those moments.