• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Something I've been seeing a bit more recently is people have a habit of responding to people, without quoting them. Example.:

Person A)
I disagree because the Earth is Flat.​

Person B)
I disagree because the Earth is Flat.
That's wrong because...​

Person A)
Well I'm right because I get the last word in and I have't quoted you, so you don't get the response notification.​

Have I just been sheltered all my life and never experienced this before until now?

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Seems to be a pansy way to reply and not worry about a response, I'd agree. Especially since we all know that quotes get notifications on this site unlike GAF.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I have noticed that happening often on here, actually. It's not just you. Not sure how often it happened over on GAF. Probably happens now due to what you said; the other person won't see a notification, so it helps reduce the chance of a retort.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I post a reply without a quote thinking I will be next in line in the argument anyway and thus the person I'm responding to will read it, but then someone or some people beat me to the punch. I try to remember to edit afterwards, if only because it looks like I'm talking to a void.

Oct 25, 2017
People actually post that they are purposefully avoiding using the quote feature? Bizarre. Even worse than the referencing of posts in a "you know who you are" manner thus not avoiding confrontation.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
What bothers me more than anything is when someone will make a crazy thread with some insane opinion, then bail without answering anyone's questions. I feel like if you make dumb threads you should have to stick around and defend yourself.

Edit: This sounds really shady. For the record, this isn't aimed at you, OP.

On topic, everyone needs to learn how to walk away. I hate when someone jukes around perfectly valid points in hopes of continuing an argument for the sake of it. The world would be a better place if more of us could say, "You know what--you're right," instead of allowing debates to devolve into a series of ad hominem attacks.

Last edited:

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
I always quote but does it even matter? What exactly are you "winning"? Chances are you don't know the person personally anyway.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
- I've noticed this

- you can't "win" arguments, especially internet ones

- the worst problem is people who come into threads and say "some of the replies in here smh" and you have no idea what the fuck they're referring to.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What bothers me more than anything is when someone will make a crazy thread with some insane opinion, then bail without answering anyone's questions. I feel like if you make dumb threads you should have to stick around and defend yourself.
This gets me too.

Grow a spine and stick up for yourself.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
How quickly we forget what it's like without reply notifications. More OT, I think its good etiquette to at least tag the person you are responding to if your intention is to engage in a discussion.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
The only way to guarantee you win every argument is by clicking 'watch thread'. stop fucking around.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have a really hot take and multiple people have responded to you, it might make more sense to not quote half a page of responses.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like you guys are being cynical. This was a common thing on NetJeff where reply notifications didn't exist.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
More like

A: You're wrong

B: No, you're wrong I'm right

A: No, no, you're wrong I'm right

B: No, no, no, you're wrong I'm right!!!!

A: Personal attack mode engaged!

Because winning is for winners. You're fooling yourself if you believe anyone on this site doesn't want to win at arguments. We may all want to say, "just a discussion" but it's a lie. The joy of being right permeates throughout our entire being.

This is so wrong I can't even begin to explain it to you.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If posting on the forum is all about winning arguments, it may be time to take a break from the forum.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
In terms of etiquette if both parties truly cared about the topic they were debating on then they'd probably check in on the discussion, because people are curious...? If it's a crowded thread it's easy to lose that but idk. Most forums I've participated in had people continue discussions even without quoting the reply i.e. if the topic mattered to them. Quoting mostly felt like a way to incite a response or an acknowledgement to the post. Some people don't care to escalate and others don't want to acknowledge that their viewpoint is wrong/has been challenged.

I'm not sure it really matters...

On the subject of 'winning', if I do engage in a discussion or debate with an individual or a group, I'm not sure I care about a victory. So long as you can learn something new I'd say it was a worthy discussion, otherwise we might as well spew random words into a ravine.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Because winning is for winners. You're fooling yourself if you believe anyone on this site doesn't want to win at arguments. We may all want to say, "just a discussion" but it's a lie. The joy of being right permeates throughout our entire being.
Nah, after roughly 2 rounds back and forth I typically disengage because I'm not convincing that person and they aren't convincing me. As a fairly regular thread creator I am very sensitive to derailing/shitting up someone else's thread.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's an internet forum. People will use all kind of BS tactics and excuses to make them feel like they came out on top and feel superior. It's the way forums have always been.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last I checked I don't get a point, when I "win" a discussion.
This seems like such a minor thing to complain about. Who cares?

Sure, it's good etiquette and all to let your discussion partner know that you replied to them, but I guess you can just make your own mind about that person, if they don't quote you - like you're already doing apparently.

Oct 30, 2017
"Win" internet arguments?

giphy.gif

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Exactly. Nothing wrong with stepping away from an argument that's being conducted in poor faith. Just because an idiot thinks he won an argument because you didn't reply doesn't mean he actually did.

Yep, I've had people quote me and I just look at their response and go, "lol what?". I just ignore them and not even bother with it. Also, sometimes it's just best to walk away in a heated discussion before you say something stupid and either get bombarded with mad users or get banned.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't noticed if it has happened to me - presumably because I didn't get a notification if it did.

I do check on threads I've posted in even if I didn't get notifications, but if there are a hundred pages I'm not going to look through all of them to see if anyone stealth responded to me.

This is really weird.

Removed the quote reference so you don't get notified and I can win

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
Those are the lamest posts in my opinion. Half of the time they're responding to some imaginary strawman.

Depending on the context, I may be more perturbed that half the time they aren't.

OP
OP

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Time to try out one of the suggestions here >_<

I agree that probably the best way to deal with trolls is not to respond, but there are some times when you are arguing with someone in complete good faith and then you hear nothing, only to discover they have posted something in direct response to you. Sometimes you do get quotes without the user reference, which takes effort to make it sound like you got the last word.

I don't think anyone can win an internet argument, we all lose, however the mindset of someone doing this difinitley feels like they are doing it because they think it will be a win.

Sometimes you can't respond to everyone, but if you do the following I think we can all agree it's a dick move.

Person A)
I think cats are better than dogs
Person B)
I think cats are better than dogs.
I actually think the opposite.​

Person A)
I actually think the opposite.
What about these reasons...
Person B)
It doesn't matter I'm right. Going to go jerk off over my win.​