• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickle

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
Individual posts are broken up into three subsections:

1. The user's username, avatar, and member status.
2. The user's comment.
3. Date of the post, report option, and reply options.

Personally, I think the site would be far easier to read if you combined 1 and 3 so that there are only two sections.

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Probably suggested a million times but the ability to return to the top of the page or back out of the thread without having to scroll all the way up to the top of the page on mobile would be nice.

Also the ability to turn off the feature that cuts off quotes and posted images on mobile would be great. I hate having to expand the box to see the full image or quote.

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
Noticed that URLs have an extra space in front and after them. Cant check on mobile but im guessing itsputt between paragraph tags or something? When you select the wholesentencre theres a gap in front and after any urls, so the browser is treating it as a separate section. Links should just be flush with the rest of the text.

I thought I was going crazy! I agree, it shouldn't have those spaces.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Can the sticky thread's font be altered to separate itself a bit easier? Might just need to be a different tone or format.

Or even a border under the very last thread.

HHGaming

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe registration should be open to anyone without a required paid email, there are many parts of the world where people who don't work yet/Don't have credit card don't have access to a paid email and having paid email wont prevent trolls really, its 2017 some hosts give you unlimited emails for like 10$ and we have a report button for every post atm + new members cant even post new thread+ Should lock the IP address of banned people

Why are we limiting people when we have ton of admins/mods here i'm sure whoever is trying to be funny his post will get deleted + get banned in 1min here yet another "certain" forum with 1 admin is able to handle all the quit topics/etc he is facing now
This policy wouldn't be friendly to the 16-19 year old me and many people now

At least make it so that no paid email is required for November only then lock it after this, + a lot of people wasting money 10$ or so just to get a paid email running to register, maybe make a donation page or something where if you donate you get a code to register here and use the money for the servers.

Of course maybe you guys are aware of things i don't know where paid email is needed and prevents a lot of the problems so its your call.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Can the sticky thread's font be altered to separate itself a bit easier? Might just need to be a different tone or format.

Or even a border under the very last thread.
Probably suggested a million times but the ability to return to the top of the page or back out of the thread without having to scroll all the way up to the top of the page on mobile would be nice.

Also the ability to turn off the feature that cuts off quotes and posted images on mobile would be great. I hate having to expand the box to see the full image or quote.

These two stand out for me atm.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
In case no one else has mentioned it, I feel like the font size is a tad small... It might be me, I dunno. I just feel like the site looks much better zoomed in at even 110%.

Colin

Oct 25, 2017
+1 for upping the font size. And the width too. Currently at 125% zoom, to be more in line with what I like. A way to hyperlink text would be nice too.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
On mobile it's sometimes difficult to click on the Thread Title to enter the first page of a thread, since it's squished right next to the Thread Creator link and the Pages links

Might suggest it being spaced out differently.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Could stickied/pinned threads have a divider between them and the normal topics? The little icon on the right side isn't visually impactful enough when quickly scanning the list of topics. Every time I have to take a second to determine where the new posts are actually starting and scan for interesting topics from there.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
My wishlist:

1. "Scroll to bottom" button on mobile.
  2. A general "Post Reply" button at the top of the page. That way users won't have to scroll to the bottom every time.
  3. A "Last Page" button at the end of the pagination buttons. The numbers are kind of small and hard to click at times.
  4. Darker thread link colors. I think the current gray is a little too light. I think a darker color will help with readability.
  5. Change the background color for my posts + my quoted posts. It would make it easy to find my stuff on a thread.

Isny

Oct 27, 2017
Am I missing a dark theme? And how can I tell if someone quotes me? Anyway to make it highlight the post when someone quotes me?

Jackben

Oct 25, 2017
photo_60036716_1.gif

... gifs as avatars?
How about just gif avatars for Panther Lotus only

SonicX_Zero

Oct 26, 2017
Please allow me to quote myself, I realized I posted in the wrong topic earlier before the thread got pushed back.lol

Is there a way to navigate directly to another part of the forum when reaching the bottom of a page you are currently viewing? Say I'm currently on a topic in Hangouts and I want to go directly to Video Games hangout, atm I have to click Home then from there click Video Game Hangouts, I wish there was a way to immediately jump to that part of the forum.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I recommend a custom orange, red, blue, pink, green, whatever skin for the forum.

I'm totally oblivious to the amount of work that would require!

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
The site needs a main forum link at the bottom of the page. It's a pain-in-the-ass (especially on mobile) to have to scroll from the bottom of the page to the top just to get back to the main forum.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Add a link at the bottom of each page so you can go to each of the main forums in one click. Kind of like how that OTHER SITE has it. Right now if you are at the bottom of a thread in the gaming forum and want to go to the OT forum, you have to scroll all the way to the top of the page, click "Discussion" and then the "EtcetEra" link on the main page. Unless I'm missing something??

I also agree that limiting registration to paid emails is arbitrary and inconveniences potential users way more than it stops spam or bad people from registering.

MotherFan

Oct 27, 2017
Add a link at the bottom of each page so you can go to each of the main forums in one click. Kind of like how that OTHER SITE has it. Right now if you are at the bottom of a thread in the gaming forum and want to go to the OT forum, you have to scroll all the way to the top of the page, click "Discussion" and then the "EtcetEra" link on the main page. Unless I'm missing something??

I also agree that limiting registration to paid emails is arbitrary and inconveniences potential users way more than it stops spam or bad people from registering.

I want to second that. It would be very convenient to not have to scroll to the top. The most common location for a user to be inside of a thread when they are ready to go back to the index is at the bottom. I don't know how hard that is to customize with this forum software but it would be a significant ease of use thing.

TheLinguist

Oct 27, 2017
So we have a new posts page but due to the activity of the site only threads from the last 15-30 minutes appear. Is it possible to increase this? Could the link for this page also be put in a more prevalent place, like the navbar? If someone hadn't given me the link I wouldn't have found it. I know I can sort by last post in each individual forum but this is more convenient.

DrMario

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to better highlight my own posts in a thread when I get quoted? It's almost too subtle. Just wondering.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
-Move "! Report" next to quote and reply... looks weird on every post where it is
-"Forums > Discussion > EtcetEra" at the top of the page... carrots shouldn't be black... you can barely see them with the purple background. These should also be larger. I don't think I've ever missed or clicked the wrong thing, but you have to be precise.
-The "Top" button at bottom of threads is gone on mobile in portrait orientation
-I don't really like what above the first post in a thread looks like... the design isn't very appealing. Looks like a fake webpage.
-Official Dark MODE
-Auto refresh button thing like on GAF mobile

"Is there a way to better highlight my own posts in a thread when I get quoted? It's almost too subtle. Just wondering."

Yes this.

Not sure if some of these things can't be changed with XenForo? How flexible is it? If it can be changed it should because wow, how embarrassing?

Linkyn

Oct 27, 2017
This is more of a general inquiry, but is it possible to change the number of posts per page? Also, is there an easy way to check whether someone quoted any of your posts?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I believe registration should be open to anyone without a required paid email, there are many parts of the world where people who don't work yet/Don't have credit card don't have access to a paid email and having paid email wont prevent trolls really, its 2017 some hosts give you unlimited emails for like 10$ and we have a report button for every post atm + new members cant even post new thread+ Should lock the IP address of banned people

Why are we limiting people when we have ton of admins/mods here i'm sure whoever is trying to be funny his post will get deleted + get banned in 1min here yet another "certain" forum with 1 admin is able to handle all the quit topics/etc he is facing now
This policy wouldn't be friendly to the 16-19 year old me and many people now

At least make it so that no paid email is required for November only then lock it after this, + a lot of people wasting money 10$ or so just to get a paid email running to register, maybe make a donation page or something where if you donate you get a code to register here and use the money for the servers.

Of course maybe you guys are aware of things i don't know where paid email is needed and prevents a lot of the problems so its your call.

Free e-mails are a dime a dozen and this place is already a huge target.... and some people can be very dedicated.

Same reason new posters can't make threads... it's to curtail brigading,

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
There's a lot of dead space in the layout it would be nice to condense;
deadspace51olv.gif

This is currently what the front page of gaming looks like, the darkened area is "not new content", the light area is "new content".
Ideally even where multiple stickies are present, there would be more 'new content' above the fold than not

This is a good catch and something I've also noticed. Would be nice to see more new topics without scrolling.

Deleted member 12177

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "report" button needs to be less pronounced as it's distracting when reading. Psychologically, it's almost encouraging reporting of posts which shouldn't be the intent.

A darker text would be good. The gray on dark gray creates a poor contrast ratio so the text isn't popping out and getting your attention.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
would it be possible to add embed WEBMs?

The site needs a main forum link at the bottom of the page. It's a pain-in-the-ass (especially on mobile) to have to scroll from the bottom of the page to the top just to get back to the main forum.

true. Plus, as already mentioned, top and bottom page shortcuts

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of dead space in the layout it would be nice to condense;
deadspace51olv.gif

This is currently what the front page of gaming looks like, the darkened area is "not new content", the light area is "new content".
Ideally even where multiple stickies are present, there would be more 'new content' above the fold than not
You can definitely do away with the empty area below the bar that has forums, FAQ, WATCHED THREADS, ect, right now it's just a big empty spot.
Right below that there's the "forums - discussion" bar and right below that there's another section that names the forum you're in and what can be posted there and right below that there's a tab for hangout, I think you can merge all of those three together. If the top bar just listed all 4 forums, we could move between all 4 a lot easier and we could do away with the "hangouts" bar since it would be redundant. Also, we probably don't need to be told what Videos Games and EtcetEra intel since the homepage already does that.\

[edit]

Something like this, maybe?
gggklux5.png

Last edited:

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Individual posts are broken up into three subsections:

1. The user's username, avatar, and member status.
2. The user's comment.
3. Date of the post, report option, and reply options.

Personally, I think the site would be far easier to read if you combined 1 and 3 so that there are only two sections.
Agreed, it'd improve the flow of the site.

I'd also appreciate if something could be done regarding stickies (either a restyle, the ability to hide them, or quickest for now just reducing the number of them). Right now on mobile they take up almost an entire page, so each time you load the forum you have to scroll down to see new content.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A) spoiler tags as clickables to input them instead of having to type them out.
B) as mentioned before an easy way to go back to the previous TOPICS page would be great.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I don't like the spoiler function that we have, it makes a posting look weird when you want to spoiler something in the middle of a text.
Can you change it the spoiler function where it black out the text instead of our current spoiler box?

Oct 28, 2017
I would like to suggest:

- No animated avatars
- No thread titles in URLs, just an ID, similar to that other message board. No one is going to type in these "human readable" URLs anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.