• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah there was always that thing of buying mod packs and using them on 'long' versions of races instead of the standard but I don't ever do long races. Too stressful! Apparently that was the diamond way of getting a lot of credits. I always seemed to have plenty with the weekly Forza Rewards stuff and just playing the game.
Yes, longer races were more profitable, but even with the standard ones you could cover the costs of the 20k lootbox way before you ran out of the remaining uses for each mod.

Turn 10 changed the mods later, imo for the worse, I remember getting more rare mods with bigger bonuses but also with much tougher requirements (like driving a full clean lap). It became more likely to waste mods if you've failed to complete their objectives.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. So much respect for that decision. There's really nothing standing in the way of FH4 being the best open world racer ever now.

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It takes too long to earn credits when you don't have VIP, I hope they rebalance it. I know some people like grinding for cars but for me I just lose all motivation to play when I can't fully use the cars I want to use.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no doubt they were planning on implementing real world money spending on these crates, post launch, but after seeing what went down with Star War Battlefront, they chose to abandon their plans. Now that they realize that form of monetization is being rejected, they're admitting defeat and announcing they're never doing that stuff again.

TRU

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Does this removal mean I can now have Drivatars in Private Lobbies like all other Forza's this gen?!???

I always assumed these crates had something to do with the removal of Drivatars as Im sure there may be a way to game the system to get loot boxes.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I actually just checked the other day when I loaded up Forza 7 to see if I could spend money other than the extra content in the in-game store and buy the loot crates or whatever and I didn't see it.

I guess I'm glad they're removing them though. Hopefully there will be another way to earn gear (I think you can get them from Forzathons too, though). I never actually bought any and the only loot crates I opened were the ones that came with the VIP pack.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
My primary gripe at launch (other than the shit-tier drivatars) was how it impacted the progression system. The whole thing was completely unnecessary.

It's not a misconception when they were essentially saying "shortly you will be able to pay for your lootboxes just as you can with every other game with lootboxes in them". Like I said they got caught up in it because:

a) lootboxes were in the game

And

b) the intent was there

I might be mis-remembering, but weren't they just intending on adding the paid tokens? I thought paid tokens only went towards car purchases? Or did they say something about paying for the loot boxes themselves?

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Its good that you say this. Biggest misconception since release.
I agree. While the system was annoying (to get cards that changes challenges during races to increase money and exp or to get some gear or cars) it was never a huge deal. I however hated how it was spun and mis-represented by some people to make it seem like the game was full of micro-transaction when that wasn't even remotely true. I am glad to see things change though.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
It's good news, but they took way too long to listen to the players on this subject and now it's not going to go into affect until the game is over a year old. I just got this game recently, but it's such a jarring system with the prize crates and mods where they don't even give you free crates for leveling up or doing much of anything from what I've seen. They also need to get rid of mods replacing the assist bonus system or overhaul it to be more about offering extra challenge for bonuses.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Releasing a game with in-game currency only crates at the same time as Battlefront 2 was a terrible idea. Though maybe they never allowed you to buy them because of the Battlefront backlash.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. If Gears 4 could follow suit, that would be really nice. There are still packs in that game that you can only buy with real money.
The only packs that cost real money are the ones not tied to loot boxes like Run The Jewels or esports skins. You are getting what you pay for with those. The rest you can use in-game currency.

easter

Nov 15, 2017
Those card packs is the reason I stopped playing Halo 5 the second I finished the campaign.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they straight up admit they were gonna add in microtransactions at some point. It's obvious the controversy scared them off.
Yes they fully intended to plus they had fucked it vip and multiple things in the game than walked back on most of it because of the issues fans took with the game. Some here are just looking to give turn 10 and Microsoft a free pass for no reason.

Microsoft just does not stop being pro-consumer.
Lol what an insane post

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I still guess that this will make its way to gamepass eventually. Especially when Helios says there will be even more free content updates in the future and that they said they are currently not working on a new mainline Forza game. Seems like a perfect fit.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Just like Shadows of War that pulled this shit. This shit shouldn't have been in the first place won't get any praise out of me

You may already understand this, but there was never any real-money system connected to the prize crates, and the micro-transaction tokens they talked about doing (which have been a part of the series since the 360 days) were never brought in. They already removed even the ability to win any cars from crates (and added them for standard purchase, aside from unicorns and "Forza Edition") a few updates back. This new change is removing even the appearance of prize crates, and re-working the race bonus system to account for that.

I think the distinction between all this and what [did] happened with Shadow of War is worth recognizing.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
It's not a misconception when they were essentially saying "shortly you will be able to pay for your lootboxes just as you can with every other game with lootboxes in them".

There were still misconceptions aplenty, considering that some people who were not actually playing the game thought that microtransactions were already in, while others thought that prize crates were unavoidable. And since we're talking about what they were essentially saying, it's also worth noting that they specifically said that they would introduce optional tokens only after they had made sure that players were satisfied with the token-less economy. But players were not satisfied, so tokens never happened, and now they never will.

I think that initial changes to the VIP Pass were a far more worrying issue, but thankfully, that was dealt with quickly.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Good. Prize crates were just annoying. Literally only ever buy the 15,000 credits one to get mods.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I still guess that this will make its way to gamepass eventually. Especially when Helios says there will be even more free content updates in the future and that they said they are currently not working on a new mainline Forza game. Seems like a perfect fit.

Woah, what? gotta link?

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
Is this still 150+ GB endless Windows Store download? The game is now on sale but my parent's house has a 16 Mbit/s connection so I probably shouldn't even bother getting it. I love Horizon 3 but last Motorsport game I played was Forza 5 after that I switched to PS4, I do miss my memories from Forza 3/4.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

They did not say that. They said they are not currently working on FM8, which could be several things. 1: They would never admit to work on a game until Microsofts marketing campaign starts, which would be E3 next year. It could be called Project Something until it is ready to be called FM8. They might change the title to Forza Motorsport Infinite. Hey, remember when there was talk that Xbox One could be called Xbox Infinity? In any case, the idea that at least part of T10 is not currently working on the next project is ridiculous. We should have gotten at least one or two new tracks, but those track designers don't seem to be working on FM7.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just like Shadows of War that pulled this shit. This shit shouldn't have been in the first place won't get any praise out of me

Except unlike Shadow of War...these were never Purchasable with Real Money.

They might have been, but we never liked them even when they were with Digital Money...so they never got that far.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
I never used them or knew what they did, same with mods or whatever you can click on motorsport 7.