• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People aren't stupid, they know the game was ready to go all in with them and use real currency but they backed off with charging for them. The good news is the future looks much brighter.

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly didn't think these were that bad in the first place.

There if you wanted them
Made no effective overall in game difference if you didn't use them

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There were still misconceptions aplenty, considering that some people who were not actually playing the game thought that microtransactions were already in, while others thought that prize crates were unavoidable. And since we're talking about what they were essentially saying, it's also worth noting that they specifically said that they would introduce optional tokens only after they had made sure that players were satisfied with the token-less economy. But players were not satisfied, so tokens never happened, and now they never will.

I think that initial changes to the VIP Pass were a far more worrying issue, but thankfully, that was dealt with quickly.

Considering the changes to the economy and the fact that the lootboxes were the only way to get mod cards (which were the only way you could replace the "assist bonuses") , they were very much unavoidable for the most part. Nevermind the fact that the career tutorial made you open some and the announcer constantly reminds you to open some prize crates if you aren't doing so.

In order to get certain achievements you would have also had to open a number of prize crates (the mod and driver suit achievements).

But yeh, totally avoidable. Nothing changed from Forza 6, nothing to see. All fake news.

Good thing they didn't listen to the blinkered fanboys who said there was "no problem" and listened to the fans who actually play the Motorsport series extensively and actually want the best for the games, hence the changes have been made.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
Considering the changes to the economy and the fact that the lootboxes were the only way to get mod cards (which were the only way you could replace the "assist bonuses") , they were very much unavoidable for the most part. Nevermind the fact that the career tutorial made you open some and the announcer constantly reminds you to open some prize crates if you aren't doing so.

In order to get certain achievements you would have also had to open a number of prize crates (the mod and driver suit achievements).

But yeh, totally avoidable. Nothing changed from Forza 6, nothing to see. All fake news.

Good thing they didn't listen to the blinkered fanboys who said there was "no problem" and listened to the fans who actually play the Motorsport series extensively and actually want the best for the games, hence the changes have been made.

Avoidable or not, mod cards are still a fun addition to the series since Forza 6. People are constantly complaining that Forza series give players too many money are cars with no use of them. I think this feature address the issue heads on. Really don't understand the hate.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Avoidable or not, mod cards are still a fun addition to the series since Forza 6. People are constantly complaining that Forza series give players too many money are cars with no use of them. I think this feature address the issue heads on. Really don't understand the hate.

Mod cards act as additional gamification. If that's the push that some people need to enjoy a racing game then fine, but make them optional (as they were in Forza 6). Instead what they did was remove currency reward features that were in previous games in order to railroad everyone into using them (and open lootboxes in the process). You didn't have a choice in the matter unless you wanted to spend more time than necessary grinding for credits.

I don't have a huge issue with the mod cards themselves but I do have an issue when they act as a replacement for long standing features and force you to open lootboxes in order to attain them.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Mod cards act as additional gamification. If that's the push that some people need to enjoy a racing game then fine, but make them optional (as they were in Forza 6). Instead what they did was remove currency reward features that were in previous games in order to railroad everyone into using them (and open lootboxes in the process). You didn't have a choice in the matter unless you wanted to spend more time than necessary grinding for credits.

I don't have a huge issue with the mod cards themselves but I do have an issue when they act as a replacement for long standing features and force you to open lootboxes in order to attain them.

They removed assist bonuses from Forza 7 because they are already baked in the credits you get from races.
You get more money per race than in Forza 6, flat out. Most expensive cars from Forza 6 are also made cheaper.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They removed assist bonuses from Forza 7 because they are already baked in the credits you get from races.
You get more money per race than in Forza 6, flat out. Most expensive cars from Forza 6 are also made cheaper.

Base payouts are now calculated on a per lap basis and scale with difficulty level. The old bonuses are not baked into anything.

If you do longer races and put the difficulty on unbeatable then yes you stand to gain more but anyone who doesn't want to do longer races or can't hang with the hardest AI is SOL without mods. Doing shorter races on lower difficulty levels with assists off will net you less credits than it would in previous games.

It went from a payout system that said "have it your way" and let you pick and choose how you earn your credit bonuses to one that said "fuck you, do it out way. Use mod cards, open lootboxes".

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

Um, that's not what I said at all, no need to be an ass about it. But the fact is, if you were so bothered by them, you could have just ignored them, apart from the tutorial, and some people did just that, while still putting dozens of hours into the game.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
This is fine but honestly they shouldn't have launched with them in the first place — they got too fucking greedy and it backfired on them— it's a leftover from an old plan to let people spend real world money on crates, which you still felt remains of in the current game. True, it was never implemented (only because of SEVERE community backlash), but that doesn't erase the fact that the entire game was built around the idea of milking players out of real money.

And let's not forget the VIP pass controversy that this game had — another pathetic attempt to over monetize a full priced AAA video game that backfired on them.

Microsoft needs to stop this shit in their first party games. Gears suffers from it, Halo suffers from it, and now Forza. You greedy fucks — just make good products and they will sell. Don't milk your poor customers dry.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Forza 5 was horrible for this. Glad they pulled back and haven't had micro transactions recently

My guess is that MS may pull back generally from heavily monetising their GaaS - preferring to monetise through keeping people on Game Pass and XBL subscriptions

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Forza series of games (both Motorsport and Horizon) have been some of my most played for the last 3 generations, and I've never had a problem with any them in the games, have never spent a cent of real money on them in game, and I don't think I even spent an in-game credit on them in Forza 7. Good on MS I guess as I'm sure it will stop a few people for mindlessly bashing them for having "loot boxes", but this doesn't and shouldn't really affect anyone.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Forza 5 was horrible for this. Glad they pulled back and haven't had micro transactions recently

My guess is that MS may pull back generally from heavily monetising their GaaS - preferring to monetise through keeping people on Game Pass and XBL subscriptions
Yep. I guess metrics show that gamepass is more lucrative than in-game gambling options.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
There was some argument from the Xbox community that Microsoft did loot boxes right with Halo 5 and Forza...but I strongly disagree. Even if they weren't pay to win, it ruins the opportunity for more creative and better progression systems. I don't like seeing developers having to pigeon hole the concept into every game.

They never impacted me personally. I have over 6 million REQ points in Halo 5 that I haven't spent. In the back of my mind, I know there was a better way to earn the extra stuff they put in these games.

Hopefully his means no loot boxes in Halo or Gears either.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
It's funny that Forza 7 got such a bad reputation for 'loot boxes' when it's actually the first Forza MS game for a long time that doesn't have any microtransactions. The prize crates in the game were 100% bought with in game currency and 100% optional. It got this weird reputation that you needed to spend all of your credits on random drop loot crates instead of buying cars and it's just bonkers.

Still, good to have it in writing that they're not using tokens moving forward with Horizon 4 either. Good!

People ran with it. They didn't do proper research. They forgot to check whether lootboxes are purchased using real money or in game money lol

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Paid or not the Lootboxes and the mechanics they introduced were and are still dog shit.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that their obvious attempt to sneakily introduce paid lootboxes into the series has backfired on them. They ended up getting the bad press with none of the profit.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Base payouts are now calculated on a per lap basis and scale with difficulty level. The old bonuses are not baked into anything.

If you do longer races and put the difficulty on unbeatable then yes you stand to gain more but anyone who doesn't want to do longer races or can't hang with the hardest AI is SOL without mods. Doing shorter races on lower difficulty levels with assists off will net you less credits than it would in previous games.

It went from a payout system that said "have it your way" and let you pick and choose how you earn your credit bonuses to one that said "fuck you, do it out way. Use mod cards, open lootboxes".

you get more money doing the same exact race in forza 7 compared to forza 6.

https://youtu.be/rcmoIvg2z_g?t=123

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
As someone playing the game multiple sessions a week, I feel like that feedback they talk about mostly comes from people who don't really play the game actually. I mean it's alright they delete them, but they are kinda irrelevant anyway and in no way offensive or annoying. But nice move for people who had a problem with the system for whatever reasons.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
The first Forza game I bought was F3 on 360. Then got a bit annoyed with the biyearly releases so I stopped bother. Then there was some sale a few months ago so I jumped in Forza 7. I was glad to hear they will be focusing on this title instead of preparing the next one already and now this is even more good news.

Edit: Funny, even though I own the game I was under the impression there was a way to buy the crates, had no idea they were never purchasable with real money.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Funny, even though I own the game I was under the impression there was a way to buy the crates, had no idea they were never purchasable with real money.

Some people were very keen for people to think this and the there was definitely a narrative of 'greedy lootboxes ruining Forza'. There aren't any microtransactions in Forza 7.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Am i right in thinking some cars in FM7 can only be rewarded via a Loot Crate? I'm sure there's several i haven't got that can't be purchased. If this change does away with that then hoo-bloody-ra!

Tomash

Oct 25, 2017
Am i right in thinking some cars in FM7 can only be rewarded via a Loot Crate? I'm sure there's several i haven't got that can't be purchased. If this change does away with that then hoo-bloody-ra!

No cars were exclusive to loot crates. 120 locked cars had to be earned through Showcases, Leagues, Forzathons, Rivals and were not available in crates. All of them can be purchased with credits now. Three cars are still not available - two of them are unicorns - 2008 BMW Z4 M Coupe and 1958 MGA Twin-Cam. Third car is Porsche RSR which is/was available through Milestone Rewards and events. There are 39 Forza Edition cars which also cannot be purchased with credits outside of auction house.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Some people were very keen for people to think this and the there was definitely a narrative of 'greedy lootboxes ruining Forza'. There aren't any microtransactions in Forza 7.

Correct. It looks like the game was designed around MT's, but in the end MS decided not to implement them, probably because of the Battlefront uprising. That really was a huge win for the gamers against the big publishers. Although let's wait and see what they'll come up with next :)

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
This is AMAZING news. I have been a long-time Forza die-hard and only just bought the game recently (Microsoft E3 sale) because of the abysmal launch. The crates were a strange choice, and they felt completely shoehorned in for no good reason. It was a real kick in the nuts to lose the credit rewards for turning off assists/not using rewind. Felt like punishment for being competent.

I like that the mod cards sometimes forced you outside of your comfort zone, but they were poorly implemented. You also had weird ones that were difficult to use in campaign (race at night, race in the rain, etc.). Hopefully they are gone forever and assist credit bonuses return.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Hmmm I really liked using the mods. If they keep the mods then I don't mind the boxes going. I hope mods don't disappear though.