• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Ok but imagine your favorite game, I don't know what it is, maybe Dark Souls, Witcher, Zelda, or any other of the greats. You wait months for DLC which you paid for in advance and you get some random nonsense like Playmobil skins and levels. And everyone is like "hehe this is so cute and fun, games are meant to be fun, why aren't you having fun?!"

Forza fans perhaps expected to get motorcycles, or London, or number of other things that actually fit the game, but instead they got this...

If they made a Lego expansion for any of those (and sets to go with them) I'd buy all of it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ok but imagine your favorite game, I don't know what it is, maybe Dark Souls, Witcher, Zelda, or any other of the greats. You wait months for DLC which you paid for in advance and you get some random nonsense like Playmobil skins and levels. And everyone is like "hehe this is so cute and fun, games are meant to be fun, why aren't you having fun?!"

Forza fans perhaps expected to get motorcycles, or London, or number of other things that actually fit the game, but instead they got this...

Don't buy preorder season passes blind with assumptions about content if you don't like surprises

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I usually don't, but MS is really good at locking lots of cool stuff behind Ultimate Edition paywall.

I honestly can't understand how anyone can justify buying ultimate editions of games when they're on Game Pass and 90% of the time season pass is on sale before half the content is even out. Half the sales are probably from people who just can't resist the 4 days early bullshit.

Iceman83

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Either some of you really don't understand that Horizon is the more fun, less serious side of Forza, or I see some Gran Turismo fanboys coming out of the woodwork.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Played a bit of this last night and it's utterly delightful. I don't understand how any Horizon fan could be disappointed in this. It's joy encapsulated.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But Forza Horizon 3 already had a toy-themed expansion pack, so it wasn't out of the realms of possibility to have something like that again that changes the game's visual identity completely. Let's not forget the second expansion of each game was always the odd one out: the rally one in the first game (which didn't even have offroad until then basically), Storm Island in the second (when dynamic weather was yet to become a thing), Hot Wheels in the third (introducing tracks in mid-air, turbos, etc.), and now LEGO. Expecting bikes, planes or boats could have made sense, but it was obvious this wasn't gonna be a regular expansion pack but a wacky one. It was largely expected and you could have not bought DLCs you knew nothing about in advance if it bothered you so much.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
One of the really impressive things is the way that the Lego is all built properly. If you look underneath the big stunt ramps there are pieces there you'd need to fix the panels together.
The attention to detail is insane! Even the decal stickers have a slightly 'bubbled' look to them just like in reality where the air gets trapped while applying them

I dont know how anyone could play this and not be entertained, it's an absolute joy : )

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a really cool expansion, but kinda sad to see some of the negativity. I appreciate the unique stuff like this over 20 more 'regular' cars.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Can't believe the reaction to this is so negative in some corners. As if people are genuinely offended by Lego in their Forza. And even worse, they paid for it via the ultimate edition.

Well, whatever. I'm having too much fun smashing in to Lego. I hope my Lego Ferrari F40 turns up as a drivatar and annoys you.
Yeah I'm not sympathetic for two key reasons.

1. Hot Wheels.
2. Forza Horizon 3's ultimate edition didn't get you the expansions and was the same cost as Horizon 4's.

Ultimage editions / season passes etc are blind buys. No one is forced to buy them. There was very clear precedent for this exact scenario. If you threw money at this and didn't even check what the last games post launch content was, that's kind of on you.

If we want to make an analogy, if Dark Souls 2 had Play Mobil DLC then no, I wouldn't be mad or surprised if Dark Souls 3 had Lego DLC.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Played a bit of this last night and it's utterly delightful. I don't understand how any Horizon fan could be disappointed in this. It's joy encapsulated.

I don't understand all these posts that can't comprehend why some are unhappy. If you're a racing fan and don't care or dislike Lego aesthetic is clear as day why people wouldn't be happy with this. It's not just this expansion either, Horizon 4 has a bunch of additions and design changes that has pushed it further and further from the actual racing aspect of the game.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a really cool expansion, but kinda sad to see some of the negativity. I appreciate the unique stuff like this over 20 more 'regular' cars.

Same. I love cars, but using the 9th variant of a Murcielago, a slightly different Carrera or the 2019 edition of a BMW that's been around for two decades in yet another game is not that exciting to me anymore, after a while it feels like you've seen all the sports cars and I just wait for some weirder take. To me new exciting worlds is a lot more interesting, and this has always been the case: looking back, the only Forza Motorsport 3 DLC I bought was the Nurburgring pack, too bad they stopped selling/releasing post-launch tracks and focused entirely on cars.

This LEGO world is one of the most fun things that we've ever seen in any Forza game to be honest, and while it could have been more ambitious in some ways, looking at those ViDocs you can see how they had to build everything block by block, how they had to follow LEGO guidelines to create new parts, how they had to change the physics, how they had to produce the menu's map one piece at a time... expecting a much broader expansion pack with this level of quality put together in a couple months is unrealistic, what with a big part of the team likely working on Forza Horizon 5 (?) already.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

In this imaginary world, did I also somehow not know about the Hot Wheels expansion for FH3 when I bought the FH4 season pass in advance?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand all these posts that can't comprehend why some are unhappy. If you're a racing fan and don't care or dislike Lego aesthetic is clear as day why people wouldn't be happy with this. It's not just this expansion either, Horizon 4 has a bunch of additions and design changes that has pushed it further and further from the actual racing aspect of the game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess I don't come to Horizon solely for racing. I have Forza Motorsport for that. I spent a good amount of my time playing Horizon finding bonus boards, doing big jumps and smashing through trees. The LEGO expansion seems perfectly appropriate for the game to me.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I usually don't, but MS is really good at locking lots of cool stuff behind Ultimate Edition paywall.

FH3 ultimate pass and issues with PC performance (3 days early pointless if the game doesn't work), and no expansions included - cooled me off a lot on FH so I've not bought anything in advance this time around.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Played an hour this morning that UFO made me laugh out loud for sure. Sucks how negative people are being about on social media but I guess these are the pure car guys. Love this shit.

In this imaginary world, did I also somehow not know about the Hot Wheels expansion for FH3 when I bought the FH4 season pass in advance?
Exactly.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Another thing that makes some people mad about this expansion is because Fortune Island was crap compared to Blizzard Mountain.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes, my bad for not having a crystal ball and not predicting that a game I bought featuring real cars and map modeled after real world might turn into a LEGO game at the end of its lifespan.

At least try to understand people's concerns and dissatisfaction, but if you can't, then it's better to say nothing instead of shitposting.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand all these posts that can't comprehend why some are unhappy. If you're a racing fan and don't care or dislike Lego aesthetic is clear as day why people wouldn't be happy with this.
No matter what they put out, not everything will be for everyone. At least there's precedent for this, you knew from FH3 there was a good chance they'd do something like this again.

People can not like it, that's their opinion and it's valid. But being surprised, that's a bit silly.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just played a bit. Really made for kids, and I think it's disgusting personally. There's so much better things they could have done. So many cars I want.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
it is funny to load it up with super cars and turn it into a LEGO game.

It's fun. I played it for 3 hours last night. Building your home is somehow fun to me. I like it. There is better content here than fortune island.

I don't get the hate to be honest. It's right in line with horizons tone and being rewarded for smashing your car into shit for fun. It got me to come back after being completely done with the game.

Better than fortune island
Worse than hot wheels

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes, my bad for not having a crystal ball and not predicting that a game I bought featuring real cars and map modeled after real world might turn into a LEGO game at the end of its lifespan.

At least try to understand people's concerns and dissatisfaction, but if you can't, then it's better to say nothing instead of shitposting.

Forza Horizon 2 ended with an extreme weather island. Forza Horizon 3 ended with a DLC featuring life-size Hot Wheels tracks. Even before it was hinted in another thread that the new DLC could be LEGO-themed a while back, I always expected this expansion to be something weird. Futuristic vehicles, ars in space, an underwater town or something absurd like that. It was always likely this was gonna happen, and those who didn't like this direction this franchise was already taking for a while could have opted out of the pass or the Ultimate Edition, adopting a wait and see strategy - which is generally a sound approach when it comes to DLCs.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Heavily disagree as Fortune Island brought a lot of cool and bizarre additions to the formula. But to each their own.

I mean it had some nice rally routes but what else? The map was small and had 12 hours content tops. They advertised it as having wild weather and that literally just turned out to be some anemic thunder in the distance. The treasure hunt gimmick was just a shallow excuse to drown people in money. Same aimless structure as the base game with no sign of the star system. Compared to Blizzard Mountain it wasn't even close for me.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it had some nice rally routes but what else? The map was small and had 12 hours content tops. They advertised it as having wild weather and that literally just turned out to be some anemic thunder in the distance. The treasure hunt gimmick was just a shallow excuse to drown people in money. Same aimless structure as the base game with no sign of the star system. Compared to Blizzard Mountain it wasn't even close for me.

Blizzard Mountain was also padded with the same thing that happened in the base game: replay the same tracks many times as each has a championship to complete as well. It was longer to complete just because of repetition. I don't feel Fortune Island had too little content, and in fact I liked the riddles and the checkpoint-less events. For my tastes, just about all expansion packs have been pretty sweet so far.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I never hopped into the first Horizon 4 expansion, but this lego expansion is by far the best I've played. Shit is outstanding. I need to go back to Fortune Island too.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
played about 2 hours yesterday. It is better than Fortune Island. The influence of Lego on the map is not that noticeable aside of the citypart. They could easily just call it Speed island and replace the Lego scenery for Regular scenery.

I did notice some framedrops in 60FPS mode on Xbox one X when reaching the city.

Hot wheels dlc was better in my opinion.

KyleH

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I can't start this up - the option on the menu is not highlighted - I see it - but nothing happens.

I've downloaded all of the updates and the DLC. I've restarted by console. I've quit the game and restarted. Nothing. We've barely played FH4 at all, so is there some milestone I need to unlock in the game before I can activate this?

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Played a bit of it last night before bed....and by that I mean it kept me up hours longer than I anticipated. I had a good idea that I'd like it because of how much I enjoyed the Hot Wheels expansion, and boy it doesn't disappoint. I like how these second expansions are more of the "out of left field" variety compared to the base game and first expansion. I'll put wayyyy more time into this than Fortune Island.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played last night until I unlocked the F40. So much fun ripping through fields of lego flowers. The city in the middle was awesome with animated lego npcs hanging out on the stoops, etc. I don't even mind the brick unlock system. I wish you could literally build things brick by brick though, although that would probably be too ambitious for the game. Also wish i had my 812 superfast lego-style.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
I need some high res screens people. :D

Just a quick copy and paste from my Xbox DVR, but it looks beautiful as expected : )

0cac8536 86f5 4882 a407 feef1e716886

2c65db92 bad3 4873 9a29 3262eb2ceeab

394191f9 3e0f 4123 b7a0 1445ba13c220

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Played this a good bit last night and this morning and as someone who's been enjoying FH4 a ton the past few months of playing several times a week this just redoubled my interest. The environments are so imaginative and I love going from an airport to a ghost forest to a pirate cove in quick succession. As much as I dig the default open world it's just so darn fun and colorful to explore the Lego Valley, and the Lego Brick progression stuff means most of the stuff I'm doing is netting me some amount of bricks so I've got some constant momentum going. I left for work and almost immediately started thinking about when I'll get to play it next.

I can't start this up - the option on the menu is not highlighted - I see it - but nothing happens.

I've downloaded all of the updates and the DLC. I've restarted by console. I've quit the game and restarted. Nothing. We've barely played FH4 at all, so is there some milestone I need to unlock in the game before I can activate this?

Had this same issue, restarted my Xbox like 3 times. It's not super well explained, but there's a location on your map with the big lego symbol (it's in the central north area of the main map). Just fast travel there and there's a prompt to travel to Lego Valley. No idea why they restrict it in the menu until you go to the physical location on the map only just warp there anyway, but yeah, just check your map.

mcwizardry

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else get stuck at 111/112 roads in this expansion?

EDIT: NVM, found it. There's a very short red road behind the Stunt Park.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017

Were you asleep when they released a Hot Wheels expansion pack for Forza Horizon 3? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. This is on you.

Oct 26, 2017
Playground continue to show why they're masters. I still play FH4 from time to time as it's one of my favorite games this gen but the addiction kicked back into overdrive last night with this LEGO release. It's so fucking good.

I mean , seriously, this entry of Forza Horizon has taken me to places I've dreamed of visiting , then took me to what looks like Skye islands and now an imaginative LEGO setting.

Playing this last night reminded me a bit of Beetle Adventure Racing on n64

Were you asleep when they released a Hot Wheels expansion pack for Forza Horizon 3? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. This is on you.

Yep, this says more about the consumer than the content. If there's something specific people are expecting from subsequent DLCs, wait until you know what they're planning before you pay.

Last edited:

KyleH

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Played this a good bit last night and this morning and as someone who's been enjoying FH4 a ton the past few months of playing several times a week this just redoubled my interest. The environments are so imaginative and I love going from an airport to a ghost forest to a pirate cove in quick succession. As much as I dig the default open world it's just so darn fun and colorful to explore the Lego Valley, and the Lego Brick progression stuff means most of the stuff I'm doing is netting me some amount of bricks so I've got some constant momentum going. I left for work and almost immediately started thinking about when I'll get to play it next.

Had this same issue, restarted my Xbox like 3 times. It's not super well explained, but there's a location on your map with the big lego symbol (it's in the central north area of the main map). Just fast travel there and there's a prompt to travel to Lego Valley. No idea why they restrict it in the menu until you go to the physical location on the map only just warp there anyway, but yeah, just check your map.

Very intuitive of them! Thanks so much!

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So I'd like to get this but am wondering: is the ultimate edition upgrade ever on sale? I see the physical version is oop so no luck getting a discount there.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Either some of you really don't understand that Horizon is the more fun, less serious side of Forza, or I see some Gran Turismo fanboys coming out of the woodwork.

Yeah, I really don't get it. The entire reason Horizon exists at all is for this. Horizon is, by definition, not Motorsport.

You didn't even address their post. You didn't need a crystal ball to see that Horizon 4 would have DLC like Horizon 3 did (and really, like they all did for their time).

Mar 6, 2019
I have one issue with Forza horizon 4 that hopefully someone can clear up for me. I want to love the game but since you can end up last place in every race and still unlock everything relatively easily, the game lacks a sense of progression and challenge. I love the world, the driving mechanics,the graphics everything feels so polished but I can't find the purpose of doing all these races