• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely looking forward to Spring this week. I reckon Winter is my favourite season but also loving the change up each week. Bring on the rain!

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Man it seems quite hard to get some credits in this game. Doing a lot of races, plenty of skill chains while driving to these races, wheelspins etc and I still am sitting at 2 million credits.

All these houses are so damn expensive too. Sure doesnt help that the credits seem to go so slow. Tips?

Credits are just tough to come by man. I'm saving up for the Skill Song House and the VIP house... Hopefully the bonuses there will speed things up for me...

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Not sure if i should buy Bamburgh Castle or save up for Edinburgh Castle. Bentley vs Alfa Romeo. Two very nice cars. Decisions, decisions.

Yes they are repeatable.

I'm going through the cars one by one (yes... sad I know) to try and figure out the most efficient route to "paying" for Wheelspins via this route (credits + skill points).

The 1963 Volkswagen Type 2 De Luxe is the most efficient route I've found so far taking skill points + credits into consideration. I think it works out to be 32,500 credits + 7 skill points per Wheelspin.

If anyone comes across cheaper then let us know.

I am right there with you with the pain. I didn't take part in the Goliath glitch (for...reasons) but I am definitely interested in min maxing and arbitrage to some f'ing credits. Even with VIP I am so far away from being able to afford the classic and supercars I want and I am deeply into Prestige (level 240).

Are any of the cars with credit payouts from their skill perks CHEAPER on the marketplace (autoshow or auction house) than their skill credit payout??? Also could we just setup a way to sell each other that car for cheap - which I assume wipes the skill perks - and then keep rebuying the skill credit payout?

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I love winter but not sure what I'm really playing, guess I'll just keep redoing blueprints for XP/credits...

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta disagree on this one if only because the gameplay loop in 3 was perfect and they fucked it up here with the cosmetic items. I think if the cosmetic section was considerably more robust then getting those items could be a fun "extra" but it feels like they were included to bolster social interactions that are really stunted in this game by its own design. That's hurt further by the fact that the online stuff for Forza live also feels very half baked. It's recycled content that isn't that compelling after you've done it the first time. Doing the same jump 50 times with friends or a speed zone 80 times isn't that interesting. It just feels copied and pasted.

The whole game, with the exception of the actual physical world design feels very half baked and unfortunately it effects the rest of the gameplay loop as a whole which, in the last game, was pretty much perfect. And I think that's really effected by this GaaS mentality. Turn 10 isn't the only ones doing this either and their rush to try and get people to come back everyday or week has led to content that just doesn't feel very interesting.

There are other changes like skill points per car that seem to be there to make you play more but just end up being tedious because they don't add to the game, they just make you grind more. You're literally better off driving in circles and running into things at the airport strip to get points than actually out enjoying the world and gaining points that way. This is further compounded by the fact that progression in the game basically doesn't exist where as progression was built into the game properly in 3 through site expansions. FH4 just drops you in the world and doesn't really create a goal for you at all because the only progression is buying houses, which is sucks because they're expensive and getting money is more difficult because wheel spins are fucked because of cosmetic items. In 3 getting a festival expansion unlocked tons of stuff and new regions of the map and felt like you were moving forward. There is no feeling of progress here that compare to how 3 felt.

The game technically is an impressive but it feels like it was designed more to be a socially awkward Skinner box while I'd argue that 3 was about getting a car and driving into the world and seeing what happens.

Not sure I understand what you think the gameplay loop is here.

An event pops up, you decide whether to tackle it Solo , with a friend or with a stranger , and eventually find your way to a final race that takes you across the map. The biggest improvement here is that you don't have to manage five festivals to unlock those events so I disagree about there being no progression here as in 3 , where it was all locked behind individual festivals.

The rewards , I think, do not take away from the loop here. It's still an open world racing game. If anything, I don't think the reward system adds anything at all and that's its biggest problem. From a gameplay perspective at least. Some people enjoy putting on the googly eyes for laughs.

Buying the houses aren't the goal here. Not sure where that came from. This is an open world playground to go and do as you please. What's grabbing the players attention going forward is the racing.

I think their intention with The skill points per car was to encourage players to try out and spend more time with other cars. Forza has always had a problem where the player tends to gravitate to a car or five and ignore the remaining 400 or so on the roster. Could be wrong. Don't think it's grindy as it's rather easy to stack up skill points just by simply roaming around or participating in races.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I understand what you think the gameplay loop is here.

An event pops up, you decide whether to tackle it Solo , with a friend or with a stranger , and eventually find your way to a final race that takes you across the map. The biggest improvement here is that you don't have to manage five festivals to unlock those events so I disagree about there being no progression here as in 3 , where it was all locked behind individual festivals.

The rewards , I think, do not take away from the loop here. It's still an open world racing game. If anything, I don't think the reward system adds anything at all and that's its biggest problem. From a gameplay perspective at least. Some people enjoy putting on the googly eyes for laughs.

Buying the houses aren't the goal here. Not sure where that came from. This is an open world playground to go and do as you please. What's grabbing the players attention going forward is the racing.

I think their intention with The skill points per car was to encourage players to try out and spend more time with other cars. Forza has always had a problem where the player tends to gravitate to a car or five and ignore the remaining 400 or so on the roster. Could be wrong. Don't think it's grindy as it's rather easy to stack up skill points just by simply roaming around or participating in races.

It seems to me that when people complain about progression, they aren't keen on the lack of guidance or structure.

If look at the GTA model - you have a main campaign that progresses, linearly, to and end. There are also some occasionally tangent threads that also progress linearly. They tend to progressively get harder, require more resources and/or require more player knowledge.

With FH4, it's as if every mission in every thread is available instantly and there's no logical sequence to tackling them, no need to gather resource and no increasing demand on player ability.

FH4 is like an the antithesis on typical game design, and to its credit, I think that's a big part of why the franchise has blown up. You approach the game however you want and get credits for it . But, I do think they can do a better job appealing to players who value standard progression systems.

Oct 26, 2017
It seems to me that when people complain about progression, they aren't keen on the lack of guidance or structure.

If look at the GTA model - you have a main campaign that progresses, linearly, to and end. There are also some occasionally tangent threads that also progress linearly. They tend to progressively get harder, require more resources and/or require more player knowledge.

With FH4, it's as if every mission in every thread is available instantly and there's no logical sequence to tackling them, no need to gather resource and no increasing demand on player ability.

FH4 is like an the antithesis on typical game design, and to its credit, I think that's a big part of why the franchise has blown up. You approach the game however you want and get credits for it . But, I do think they can do a better job appealing to players who value standard progression systems.

That makes sense. Someone here was asking what they need to do to get to the end credits

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

I mean, you need to finish each mission progressively in the various Horizon Stories, leading up to their finales. Each of the styles of racing gives you your choice of races to eventually unlock their final Titan/Marathon/Etc event, based on XP from the races, and you build that faster depending on race placement.

Last edited:

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
For people who finished almopst everything in the single player, what do you guys play in this game if you aren't into MP? Do you just re-run blueprint races?

JackEtc

Oct 28, 2017
NYC
I initially was skeptical about Winter cause it meant a lot of the cars I prefer to drive won't handle as well; at the same time a personal gripe about the way I've been playing this game is I keep using the same 3 or 4 cars over and over again.

Winter actually totally addressed that issue with my playstyle, and forced me to go out and buy and drive different cars I would've never usually gone out and used. It's made the game feel so much more varied and fun. Before this I never would've expected a Jeep SUV or a mid-range Audi coupe to be two of my most played cars over the weekend, but here we are!

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I know seasons are weekly, but I have two quick questions.

- When does the season change? Each Monday?
- Does the season force everyones map to change, or can you decide to stay on winter for longer if you want?

Seasons change on Thursdays and the seasons change for everyone at the same time. You can customize the races to make a track in summer, but not the actual shared world.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you need to finish each missions progressively in the various Horizon Stories, leading up to their finales. Each of the styles of racing gives you your choice of races to eventually unlock their final Titan/Marathon/Etc event, based on XP from the races, and you build that faster depending on race placement.

I'm aware that there are finales in all of this and I'm actually fine with PGs approach, but I think a player could be forgiven for not feeling like they worked up to anything consequential.

I didn't even realize I was working up to Titan for example. I just liked doing offroad races and then it popped up. I didn't even have do all of them or get any particular placement them iirc... I could have done the same offroad race over and over, and gotten the same result. Then when I unlock and win the Championship, someone just gives me congrats over the radio and I keep leveling up to no end.

Last edited:

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a Forza Horizon veteran (or Forza Motorsports), having played maybe an hour or two in For Horizon 1 on Xbox One X and the demo, briefly of both Forza Horizon 3 and 4. However, I've finally "beaten" Dragon Quest XI, and I've been anxious to give this some time. I've having a blast with it and, though I was very torn, I've wound going 1080p/60fps. As gorgeous as the game looks in 4k, racing games are just so much better in 60fps.

Klobrille 's OT is fantastic, but are there any posts/resources 'round here to acclimate someone like me to the finer elements of this series?

JackEtc

Oct 28, 2017
NYC
After 20+ hours playing at 60fps I switched it back to 30fps for a minute and the game felt legit broken

Even the menus feel like they take way longer to slog through

Macaco5

Jan 2, 2018
Playing on the Xbox one x in quality mode and I have been a little surprised to see the framerate tank on certain races.

The latest was the one around the perimeter of the quarry in the dark. Pretty sure the fps went mid 20s for large parts. But also not surprised given all the graphical bells and whistles happening in that one - dynamic shadows everywhere, dirt kicking up, sparks etc it was all going on.

Anyone else noticed this?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Playing on the Xbox one x in quality mode and I have been a little surprised to see the framerate tank on certain races.

The latest was the one around the perimeter of the quarry in the dark. Pretty sure the fps went mid 20s for large parts. But also not surprised given all the graphical bells and whistles happening in that one - dynamic shadows everywhere, dirt kicking up, sparks etc it was all going on.

Anyone else noticed this?

Was it in that big corner when you go right and up a big hill? As that is the only moment in the whole game it dropped abit for me. Was fine a couple seconds after that.
It was dark also and the race just started.

Oct 25, 2017
What cosequences are we talking about? I'd give it a rent , if possible. These games are just an open playground to hop in a car and have fun without getting beat with a stick on how you use your time in the world. It's meant to be relaxing but can be as stressful or challenging as you need it to be. I played 2 off and on for a couple years up until 3 and then some ahead of this game's release. It's something you can always come back to and lose an hour or two just driving around or indulging in a race or two.
Thanks. Only have a PC so can't rent but I'm thinking I'll buy it when discounted

You weren't wrong on your impression about the lack of consequences, there is no such thing as a career mode, the game throws it all at you at a ridiculously fast pace and winning or losing a race barely even matters most of the time so in that regard the game is kinda more about the... ride?

Having said that, the gameplay (be it cars, physics, tracks, customization, events) is so goddamn polished and fun that you can easily overcome that and just enjoy the driving/racing/goofing around with other people without that much of a concrete goal outside of the one you want to set yourself.

If you enjoy racing, collecting cars and aren't tired of open world games at this point then I definitely recommend it.

Also, give me your gamertag regardless if you end up getting it or not.
OK cool. I do like the sound of that. And I don't have an XBone, nor really play any Microsoft games on PC. If I ever do buy it on sale or something, I'll track you down...

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. Only have a PC so can't rent but I'm thinking I'll buy it when discounted

OK cool. I do like the sound of that. And I don't have an XBone, nor really play any Microsoft games on PC. If I ever do buy it on sale or something, I'll track you down...

Try it with Gamepass for a month. :)
If you never used Gamepass there is even a 14 day free trial.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After 20+ hours playing at 60fps I switched it back to 30fps for a minute and the game felt legit broken

Even the menus feel like they take way longer to slog through

It definitely takes about 10 minutes to reacclimatise. In all honestly, I've stuck with 4K 30. 30 has been fine for me in all previous horizon games, and the reduced IQ (especially draw distance of Shadows and what not) is overly distracting for me at 60 FPS option.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
just eliminate team racing

people just don't care or understand

I haven't won a team racing event yet in this game. Around 40 tries. Both seasons.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
talking about old video game cars, here's from that brings a certain rush to N64 players

9aJcReG.jpg

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It definitely takes about 10 minutes to reacclimatise. In all honestly, I've stuck with 4K 30. 30 has been fine for me in all previous horizon games, and the reduced IQ (especially draw distance of Shadows and what not) is overly distracting for me at 60 FPS option.

This is exactly where I stand.

Its definitely jarring when you immediately switch -like to the point where I get nauseous- but after a while once my eyes/brain get used to it I find it difficult to determine when I'm playing on 30/60FPS which is further confused by the toggle needing a restart.

What my eyes/brain can't get acclimated too though is the lower resolution, muddier textures, and pop in that comes from playing in performance mode.

The game looks like something you'd see as a still on a 4K display in a store in Quality mode, the game just pops in Quality mode

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
talking about old video game cars, here's from that brings a certain rush to N64 players

I have to say the finest parts of Forza liveries has always been the idea of "what other video game thing are they going to recreate next?". My favorite is still the one I found in FM7 where someone took the 90s F1 car and turned it into the Virtua Racing car.

In that respect, so much love for the Laracer parts of this game. Given what they had, it still brings a tear of joy down my cheek to see these older games acknowledged with such love.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Managed to get the Lambo Veneno in a regular wheelspin yesterday. Was surprised and then I looked at how much it's worth... holy shit!

I'm fucking over winter already though. And the fact that the conditions of the events are dictated by online? Doing the Laracer challenges and I swear some are almost impossible with winter/wet road conditions, just want it to be completely fucking over so I have a better chance. Literally impossible to 3-star some of them.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I finally managed to put more time into this and while I've been having a blast and this is easily one of the best games I've played this year, the number of Championships is a little disappointing. I won't exactly disagree with anyone who thought FH3 had too many (one at every race route) but it feels like there's too few here. They're still a lot of fun and the seasonal championships is a great idea but I just feel like there could've been a few more than there are. Maybe more show up the further I get? It is more of a minor complaint in an otherwise excellent racing game. Can't wait for the Halloween Party btw!