• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Got it (RIP ROD) in the end.

sslZx4Z.jpg

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I experimented a bit and on PC at least there is definitely a bug with the VIP house if you set your "home" to fortune island. I am not sure if it depends on the car or not but you will "lose" the VIP house pretty regularly, and lose the double forzathon points bonus. Its easy to fix, just go back to mainland and "rebuy" it but it pretty much happened to me every restart. The only perma fix was to reset my home back to the mainland, which is a bummer since I prefer starting on fortune island.

Didn't try the same experiments on my xbox since I usually am playing RDR 2 or Hitman 2 on there and only run FH4 on my PC to scoop up a forzathon if I notice.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
They're trolling us with a drag seasonal. Car locked behind PVP as well, just why Playground? I'm ashamed to admit I abused the shit out of rewind to win the Track Toys championship, those S class cars are impossible to control.
Why shouldn't there be a PvP locked car? It took me about five tries but I got it tonight.

After all the complaints that were raised about there being no reward for "winning", they finally add something that needs to be earned by winning and people are up in arms.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Why shouldn't there be a PvP locked car? It took me about five tries but I got it tonight.

After all the complaints that were raised about there being no reward for "winning", they finally add something that needs to be earned by winning and people are up in arms.

When people say winning they're talking about the singleplayer campaign. Who wants to deal with multiplayer and PVP in this game? I don't want the car so it doesn't really bother me.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
When people say winning they're talking about the singleplayer campaign. Who wants to deal with multiplayer and PVP in this game? I don't want the car so it doesn't really bother me.
Well, devil's advocate would suggest that they (PG) would hope that plenty of people would want to deal with multiplayer and PvP. I'm not going to claim that the drag races are my favourite, but it was a nice change of pace and I didn't find the PvP to be all that frustrating. I finished second twice in a row before winning but with the races being less than 20 seconds (besides the last one), it really doesn't take that long.

SPCTRE

Oct 25, 2017
Was messing around with the 4K30 mode last night and holy crap are the menus extremely laggy. That was honestly a bigger annoyance to me than the actual gameplay.
It's striking how even the menus don't move as smoothly, I started out with 4K30 and after switching to performance mode the difference was insane

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
It's striking how even the menus don't move as smoothly, I started out with 4K30 and after switching to performance mode the difference was insane

whats really crazy is going back and playing FH3 on xbox X after getting so used to FH4. I am totally not a guy who gives a shit about FPS, I play games on the reg at 30 fps every other game and never notice. But I could definitely tell something was different playing FH3 for the first time in a while on my X, everything felt a bit weirder but you get used to it pretty fast. FH3 runs at 30 fps while FH4 runs at 60 if you run it in perf mode.

I gave up on the PVP drag strip thing, really glad I don't give a shit about car collecting (still haven't bought 1/2 of the "car pass" cars yet cuz I don't wanna fill my garage lol) because I would be super mad and frustrated at how fuck-y the PVP racing is. In 3 tries I got rammed off twice and in the last time I was visibly first but the game recorded me coming in 7th. yay.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I guess no one really liked Fortune Island huh?
This is all anecdotal but I really took my time playing through it, there were other games to play so I just kept coming back to FH4 whenever I just wanted to unwind and have some fun. So I literally just finally did the Leviathan & Kraken events on Fortune Island.
I was shocked when the achievement popped up and said under 3% of gamers unlocked it. I actually had to go double check, and sure enough for The Island Conqueror! achievement, only 2.33% of gamers unlocked it.
I am hardly an expert Forza Horizon 4 driver. Far from it. I just really enjoy the events themselves. So if I can do a Leviathan or Kraken, I will, as they are usually fun.
Is it people are just not doing the premade events and just doing free roam stuff? Etc? Or did hardly anyone play Fortune Island? That number just seems really low to me.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I liked Fortune Island, that # does seem low. I actually am not that happy they're skipping seasonal events in fortune island sometimes. I need cash!

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like most are just free roam drifting than actual racing on Fortune Island. I do wish they would update seasonal events on Fortune island at the same time as the mainland.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
From what I've played I really like Fortune Island, but I haven't unlocked the final races yet so I wouldn't say that no one likes it per se. I find most Achievement percentages are lower than you'd expect, so I'm not surprised about the Fortune Island completion percent. I'll get there eventually, but it might take some time.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
This is all anecdotal but I really took my time playing through it, there were other games to play so I just kept coming back to FH4 whenever I just wanted to unwind and have some fun. So I literally just finally did the Leviathan & Kraken events on Fortune Island.
I was shocked when the achievement popped up and said under 3% of gamers unlocked it. I actually had to go double check, and sure enough for The Island Conqueror! achievement, only 2.33% of gamers unlocked it.
I am hardly an expert Forza Horizon 4 driver. Far from it. I just really enjoy the events themselves. So if I can do a Leviathan or Kraken, I will, as they are usually fun.
Is it people are just not doing the premade events and just doing free roam stuff? Etc? Or did hardly anyone play Fortune Island? That number just seems really low to me.

Alot of the achievements for the base game seem pretty low too. Every achievment I unlock in FH4 seems to be a rare one, so I don't know what the deal is.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Alot of the achievements for the base game seem pretty low too. Every achievment I unlock in FH4 seems to be a rare one, so I don't know what the deal is.
I wonder if for some strange reason it only counts people who purchased the game and who are not playing it via GamePass. That could explain the low numbers, as now that you mention it I recall thinking one of the achievements I saw seemed really low for the base game as well.

Thanks everyone else for the replies. Just seemed off to me as like I said. Starting to wonder if the achievement tracker may be borked or regional or something like that.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

I bought Blizzard Mountain day one but this doesn't look anywhere near as meaty so I'm waiting for a sale. I'm sure it's a fun expansion but from what I've seen nothing about it really strikes me as something I need to get now. There wasn't a massive amount of fanfare around it when it released and it seems to have way less content than Blizzard Mountain. The most interesting part of it to me was the weather but from what I've read it's not even that great either.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Blizzard Mountain day one but this doesn't look anywhere near as meaty so I'm waiting for a sale. I'm sure it's a fun expansion but from what I've seen nothing about it really strikes me as something I need to get now. There wasn't a massive amount of fanfare around it when it released and it seems to have way less content than Blizzard Mountain. The most interesting part of it to me was the weather but from what I've read it's not even that great either.
Lightening doesn't affect the race, which is a real bummer because it does it in the gameplay intro race to the DLC. The Aurora Boralis is beautiful but that's about it. The offroading dirt trails/cross country and that one drift road are very good. That's about it. (It's also very easy to 3 star everything quickly)

SPCTRE

Oct 25, 2017
personally, I have so much content left in the base game that so far I didn't feel a need to purchase Fortune Island

also, like in earlier games, expansions that have interesting/different weather conditions as a major selling point are just not that compelling to me

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
its not different from the base content in any meaningful way other than the sky box really. it looks, plays, feels almost exactly the same but much less polished. very disappointing

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Been playing through Fortune Island, it's, y'know, fine. That opening was pretty kickass, but it really doesn't live up to the hype of being trecherous. Feels misleading. But, hey, at least you get a fuckload of money for getting the chests.

Also this is probably never gonna happen, given how having AI cars in the mode is apparently beyond Motorsport 7, but my dream for Horizon 5 would be split-screen. That'd be so good. And since it'll probably be an Xbox Two game, I think they could actually pull it off.

King Picollo

Oct 28, 2017
After playing a lot of Wreckfest, i think the multiplayer in this game really needs damage turned even if it's just in Ranked mode. This would stop rammers and wall riders in their tracks and actually force people to race.

Or some mode where it's turned on, even if it's at a low level.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
After playing a lot of Wreckfest, i think the multiplayer in this game really needs damage turned even if it's just in Ranked mode. This would stop rammers and wall riders in their tracks and actually force people to race.

Or some mode where it's turned on, even if it's at a low level.

I'd be down for this, IF it was accompanied by another change - free-roam rush would have to take a hike. I've played way more FH4 than FM7 (300+ hours vs 50+), but I did do some MP in FM7. I pretty much found the MP experience in FM7 to be absolute bunk, unless you were playing in a simulation-damage hopper. So I'm fully in agreement that simulation damage actually improves the quality of MP racing.

But I've also played FH4 with simulation damage on. It isn't pretty. Or rather, it isn't pretty, when you are also crossing 'disciplines'. And free-roam rush forces every adventure to include an off-road component. If you could just jump into a *single-discipline hopper*, and with simulation damage, that'd be cool. It'd be compatible with off-road and dirt events, because people jumping into those hoppers will of course be using vehicles that can take the punishment.

As for Fortune Island... According to the stats, I've spent 13 hours there. I enjoyed doing all the stuff on it, but *once* I was done, I only go back for the seasonals. But that is the same with the FH3 DLC locations, for me at least. As I nabbed the Ultimate Edition of the game, it is a different value proposition - and holy heck have I gotten my monies' worth from FH4.

Edit: I do think, on balance, that Blizzard Mountain impressed me more than Fortune Island, in terms of how far they 'push' things. They really lean into the 'Blizzard' aspect. EXTREME weather racing, at times. Very intense.

Oct 27, 2017
I think in general Playground has been far too conservative with their GaaS model. It's great they're adding new cars and singleplayer stories, but the things that get played the most, like the multiplayer, are shafted in favor of their DLCs that are cumbersome to play because they're behind a seperate loading screen.
Some MP events, new race and music tracks, more danger signs and the like would really do a lot to elevate the experience. It would even be enough for me if they take some of the player made race tracks and made them official so they can be driven in MP.

All the free roam MP stuff needs an overhaul as well. It just doesn't work because it's only in the Horizon Life session instead of server wide and the Life sessions are mostly half filled at best for some reason.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
For my part, I'd just say that if the MP *predominated* in terms of focus for the ongoing service, I'd be super bummed out, because MP is a tiny, *tiny*, TINY component of my time with the game, and of what I want from it. Of 300+ hours, maybe... 5 or 6 hours have been spent in the active MP. The online world stuff doesn't count, since I'm just mooching around doing my own thing, same as if I were playing wholly offline. By 'active MP' I mean team adventure, and the ad hoc events players can set up.

Oct 27, 2017
For my part, I'd just say that if the MP *predominated* in terms of focus for the ongoing service, I'd be super bummed out, because MP is a tiny, *tiny*, TINY component of my time with the game, and of what I want from it. Of 300+ hours, maybe... 5 or 6 hours have been spent in the active MP. The online world stuff doesn't count, since I'm just mooching around doing my own thing, same as if I were playing wholly offline. By 'active MP' I mean team adventure, and the ad hoc events players can set up.

What do you do most of the time then? My typical play session is mostly me doing the Forzathon challenges and then going to the MP since I've already done every race, danger sign and other stuff.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
What do you do most of the time then? My typical play session is mostly me doing the Forzathon challenges and then going to the MP since I've already done every race, danger sign and other stuff.

I love levelling my cars, and spending time racing them within their stock class. I'm quite near the 550 car limit now (and that accounts for regular de-duping). I have a spreadsheet that I use to keep track of which cars are perked, and which ones I've raced with or not. The 'stock class' thing is important, because while it is great to give a car a little bit of an edge, I also want to preserve that which is unique or weird about it. Makes the racing of it interesting.

So I've spent a LOT of time grinding skill points, and 'exploring' the the quirks of my heaving collection of cars. By the stats, my preferred 'grind car' is the 2006 Dodge Viper SRT10, that has a total skill-score of 225,767,189, with a highest skill-score of 3,097,450 (and this only because I got cold feet, and decided to bank it). 1,422 perks earned. I have a small selection of 'favourite' cars of course, that I'll user for certain challenges, but I like going deep with my garage as a whole. One day, I hope to have perked out, and spent meaningful time with, every car in my collection.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017

Yeah, the only reason why I don't regret the purchase is you make tons of money in fortune island, with every hidden chest awarding you 1.000.000.
I don't think it's great, but that's probably because the base game already offers everything and way more events than I'd ever want to complete. I though FH4 just needed a couple winding roads on a cliff but for some reason they are not as fun as I thought they would be. Weather didn't seem to go beyond anything you'd find on the mainland; roads never get soaked or anything.
Hopefully next expansion is something completely different like the hot wheels stuff in fh3

RetroKrystal

Community Liaison for Playground Games
Verified
Oct 15, 2018
I think in general Playground has been far too conservative with their GaaS model. It's great they're adding new cars and singleplayer stories, but the things that get played the most, like the multiplayer, are shafted in favor of their DLCs that are cumbersome to play because they're behind a seperate loading screen.
Some MP events, new race and music tracks, more danger signs and the like would really do a lot to elevate the experience. It would even be enough for me if they take some of the player made race tracks and made them official so they can be driven in MP.

All the free roam MP stuff needs an overhaul as well. It just doesn't work because it's only in the Horizon Life session instead of server wide and the Life sessions are mostly half filled at best for some reason.
We are constantly looking into the feedback on MP and how to improve it. Unfortunately it's not the easiest 'overnight fix' and requires a lot of testing every time we consider implementing or changing something.

Granholme

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got any advice for tuning a G920 wheel on XB1 for this?
Bit frustrated that I've got my wheel settings nailed for Codemasters games but MS first party is a series of never ending tweaks that end with me reverting to a pad

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
When are Playground games going to sort out the bug where you literally cant view your map or any menu screen for like the first 5 minutes or so when you start playing the game and the damn audio freezing/repeating issue as well!!???

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
When are Playground games going to sort out the bug where you literally cant view your map or any menu screen for like the first 5 minutes or so when you start playing the game and the damn audio freezing/repeating issue as well!!???
The audio one I've had a few times when resuming from sleep, but I've never heard of the map/menu screen problem.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
I seem to get it fairly often, id start the game up and for like the first 5 minutes i cant access the map or the menu and in that time the sound keeps freezing, i should note i never resume from sleep also

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had a weird bug after I moved which hard drive the game was installed on where I was missing engine/tire sounds on my cars, but all other game sound/music was fine. Had to do a full reinstall to fix it.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if anyone is aware, but don't try to snipe the HW Mustang in the AH. That car isn't suppose to be out right now.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
Did they increase the amount of credits and influence you get after a race? I did a cross-country last night and seemed to get more influence and credits than I usually get. (And I didn't change any assists or difficulty).

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
I'm not aware of any changes there. Did you happen to use a more perked up car than normal? Perhaps you had an especially good race in terms of skill-score? Car perks and in-event skill score can can make some meaty contributions to race rewards, and in a manner that isn't necessarily as consistent as the boost from difficulty settings, depending on thr vehicles one tends to use, and the plain fact of how any given race play out.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
I'm not aware of any changes there. Did you happen to use a more perked up car than normal? Perhaps you had an especially good race in terms of skill-score? Car perks and in-event skill score can can make some meaty contributions to race rewards, and in a manner that isn't necessarily as consistent as the boost from difficulty settings, depending on thr vehicles one tends to use, and the plain fact of how any given race play out.
It's based on how long the race is. Some longer ones can get you 20k credits.

I'd say it was a normal, 3-lap race (nothing special). I'll have to check the perks I have on the car. I was last (or close to it) in the first two laps and then I managed to come from behind and take first....maybe that did it?

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think differed enough from the mainland in terms of locale. It's a letdown after FH3's Snow Mountain and Hotwheels expansion.

The most I like about Fortune Island is being showered with credits. I finally got to buy the super expensive Edinburgh Castle.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think differed enough from the mainland in terms of locale. It's a letdown after FH3's Snow Mountain and Hotwheels expansion.

The most I like about Fortune Island is being showered with credits. I finally got to buy the super expensive Edinburgh Castle.

To be honest that's the only constant positive feedback I get about Fortune Island. Cynical me makes it seem ever worse. It's like they heard all the complaints about long to it took to earn credits in the base game and made the paid expansion shower you with millions 10 times as fast.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, it definitely was not the spectacle that either of the DLC's were in FH3, but I actually think it is pretty decent stuff. Lot's of drift related stuff, so much so as I am sure you know they have another Drift Club stories. They also have some pretty damn good off road events, which are my personal favorites. So I actually dug it.

With that said I also did own the Deluxe Version so I was getting the DLC regardless. Not entirely sure I would have played it if that was not the case. And it definitely is a very safe approach for DLC especially based on the DLC from the previous titles. So I get it, I do.

To be honest that's the only constant positive feedback I get about Fortune Island. Cynical me makes it seem ever worse. It's like they heard all the complaints about long to it took to earn credits in the base game and made the paid expansion shower you with millions 10 times as fast.
I am sitting on an insane amount right now. With that said I guess I got lucky in the main game with the wheel spins as well, as I always have had a pretty decent amount in my bank. Now I have a pretty insane amount though. It has been nice as I have just purchased whatever I wanted without thinking about it.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I am sitting on an insane amount right now. With that said I guess I got lucky in the main game with the wheel spins as well, as I always have had a pretty decent amount in my bank. Now I have a pretty insane amount though. It has been nice as I have just purchased whatever I wanted without thinking about it.
I have a ton of credits as well but I've barely done any of the Fortune Island stuff yet (I think I'm on the second chapter). I have one of the castles (not Edinburgh yet though) and just about every car I would want and still have around 7 million credits last I checked.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I have a ton of credits as well but I've barely done any of the Fortune Island stuff yet (I think I'm on the second chapter). I have one of the castles (not Edinburgh yet though) and just about every car I would want and still have around 7 million credits last I checked.
Get ready to get some bank if you keep playing.
Only property I do not own on the main island is also Edinburgh.
Right now my bank is 21,677, 933. 10 million of that is thanks to just the treasure hunt on Fortune Island. And I am sure I have gotten a bit more just by playing it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure when this happened exactly, probably in the last month or so, but you may remember that I complained that despite unlocking that home in the woods, my skill songs never activated. Been playing since launch and not once I had a skill song on the radio. Well, yesterday I was driving towards a Forzathon Live event only to realize that home has been unlocked again as if I've never bought it before (I did so in like the first or second day after launch originally). I was able to buy it again and voilà, I've had two skill songs ever since. Very happy that this issue finally got fixed, now to work on beating my Forza Horizon 3 record skillchain:
TimelyPoisedHamster-size_restricted.gif