• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Horizon 4 doesn't look that much better than 3, they're both still insanely pretty games. The main issue with 3 is that the optimisation is significantly worse so you might have issues running it at locked 60.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon 4 doesn't look that much better than 3, they're both still insanely pretty games. The main issue with 3 is that the optimisation is significantly worse so you might have issues running it at locked 60.

Yeah and also some barn finds have a weird framerate glitch where you'll get stuck in the cutscene. Happened on the blizzard island one.

For the most part I can get 60, but it does dip sometimes.

That said the game runs great at a locked 30 if you need to. But if your CPU is good they mostly ironed out the stuttering issues. You may have to play with your settings a bit though.

It's a really really good game though.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah and also some barn finds have a weird framerate glitch where you'll get stuck in the cutscene. Happened on the blizzard island one.

For the most part I can get 60, but it does dip sometimes.

That said the game runs great at a locked 30 if you need to. But if your CPU is good they mostly ironed out the stuttering issues. You may have to play with your settings a bit though.

It's a really really good game though.

It was really bad at launch but they mostly fixed it after about 6 months. I haven't played it in a few years but I remember it running at mostly 60 with random drops to 55 by the end.

Outside of performance I do prefer 3 over 4. Blizzard Mountain is the best piece of content they've ever done.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It was really bad at launch but they mostly fixed it after about 6 months. I haven't played it in a few years but I remember it running at mostly 60 with random drops to 55 by the end.

Outside of performance I do prefer 3 over 4. Blizzard Mountain is the best piece of content they've ever done.

It still isn't great if you play on older CPUs, but yes it is actually doable with some finagling. On my ryzen cpu I upgraded to (I had a bulldozer before, FX-8320), a Ryzen 2600 (3.4GHz), it has issues but I've mostly gotten it okay I think. I don't know because every once in a while it will like, reset my settings? It's so annoying. Unfortunately I got it really good one time but I can't figure out how I had it. But it looked great and ran at 60 fps basically always. Every once in a while it will suddenly hit 30 for a split second and then be fine again.

At launch you basically had to get like a 5.0Ghz CPU. The game just seems to be much more tied to your clock speed than number of cores, and even now anything under 4.0 isn't perfect.

But still, it shouldn't scare anyone off. It's a mostly good experience, and the game is just really really good. And if anyone is worried this is complicated, I mean you can set it to 30 fps just like Xbox and you'll get the benefit of WAY faster load times if you put it on your SSD. Seriously the game loads so slow on xbox it's not even funny.

I don't think Playground have put out a bad DLC honestly. I haven't played 4's but I did hear lego was a bit anemic, which is unfortunate. Storm Island in FH2 was good. Rally in FH1 was good and surprisingly really complete.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It still isn't great if you play on older CPUs, but yes it is actually doable with some finagling. On my ryzen cpu I upgraded to (I had a bulldozer before, FX-8320), a Ryzen 2600 (3.4GHz), it has issues but I've mostly gotten it okay I think. I don't know because every once in a while it will like, reset my settings? It's so annoying. Unfortunately I got it really good one time but I can't figure out how I had it. But it looked great and ran at 60 fps basically always. Every once in a while it will suddenly hit 30 for a split second and then be fine again.

At launch you basically had to get like a 5.0Ghz CPU. The game just seems to be much more tied to your clock speed than number of cores, and even now anything under 4.0 isn't perfect.

But still, it shouldn't scare anyone off. It's a mostly good experience, and the game is just really really good. And if anyone is worried this is complicated, I mean you can set it to 30 fps just like Xbox and you'll get the benefit of WAY faster load times if you put it on your SSD. Seriously the game loads so slow on xbox it's not even funny.

I don't think Playground have put out a bad DLC honestly. I haven't played 4's but I did hear lego was a bit anemic, which is unfortunate. Storm Island in FH2 was good. Rally in FH1 was good and surprisingly really complete.

Storm Island and Blizzard Mountain were fantastic. I hated the Hot Wheels DLC and the two for 4 are just okay, nothing special. Never bought the really DLC but I heard it was mainly just a bunch of races rather than a new location.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Launch FH3 was broken on all CPUs, regardless clock speed. The way the engine handles tasks and streaming data was totally busted on PC and didn't get a fix until Hot Wheels.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Storm Island and Blizzard Mountain were fantastic. I hated the Hot Wheels DLC and the two for 4 are just okay, nothing special. Never bought the really DLC but I heard it was mainly just a bunch of races rather than a new location.

I've enjoyed what I played of hotwheels. I don't understand why everyone thinks it's the best thing in the series, but I think it's good.

I like that playground focuses on going in new directions with their their DLCs. There are so many possibilities they could cover, it gives them a chance to explore some in smaller sized, tighter chunks.

Honestly some of my favorite contents in most games, from dark souls to red dead redemption, is those smaller, tighter expansions that come out and push something around a specific idea the main game wouldn't have the luxury of doing.

Launch FH3 was broken on all CPUs, regardless clock speed. The way the engine handles tasks and streaming data was totally busted on PC and didn't get a fix until Hot Wheels.

Well right, but I do remember there were a few people who got proper 60 fps when overclocking past 5GHz on some intel CPUs.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I would like to get FH2 on PC/X Enhanced at some point, as I think that map with the coastal roads is massively underrated (also think this had the best sky in the series).

Storm Island is crap though. Literally not fun to drive around.

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how to reset this game? Last year I played about 20 minutes, but life happened and I didn't get back to this game. Now I'm ready, but I can't figure out how to reset it. I'm in the middle of a tutorial that'd I'd like to redo. I tried deleting the saves, but the cloud just downloaded them again.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot_20200406-151454_Instagram.jpg

Plus the return of FH3's Promo pictures and you get the Ferrari Portofino and Guntherworks 911 in the Promo section rewards
Summer: #777 C6 Formula D (50% seasonal)
Autumn: A70 MKIII Supra in championship
Winter: Mercedes E63S (50% seasonal)
Spring: #117 599 GTB Formula D in championship

Oct 27, 2017
The World
So my wife just started playing the game during lockdown, she likes the racing. She's not very good at it though. This is literally the first console game she has ever played.

Question I have is how to spend the credits she is accumulating? No idea how/which cars to buy first.

And which car to use for snow? I heard you can get snow tires and things like that but could not figure out how to do that in the game for her.

Thanks

DasRavenEra

Oct 27, 2017
RDU
One of the best things about this game is that it absolutely doesn't matter what you buy. Each season there will be events that some car in your garage can enter and that will give you more credits to buy more. Beyond that, there is a tremendous set of custom races, built by the community, that you can enter regardless of season. You could build millions racing a single vehicle you already own.

Regarding snow tires, vehicles with winter tires appear in the garage with a snowflake icon. I believe that only occurs during Winter season or when playing a custom route set in Winter season. During that time, while at a house, choose "upgrades & tuning" > "custom upgrades" > "tires and rims" > "tire compound."

Last edited:

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
In addition, rally tires are automatically replaced with snow tires in winter on all cars equipped with them, and vice versa.

Also: Promo photo mode (back from FH3) is already available!

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
I spent way too long doing the promo (using the juggernaut and then changing blueprint for said cars). ALL 685 CARS PHOTO TAKEN PICTURES OF.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm like two years too late - but I just picked up an XB1X and FH4. This game owns; holy shit, what was I missing out on.

Any tips for a newcomer? Really enjoying the festival playlist events.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I'm like two years too late - but I just picked up an XB1X and FH4. This game owns; holy shit, what was I missing out on.

Keep an eye on the cars they roll out as part of that Playlist--you don't wanna be like me and miss out on the AE86 'cause you got the game late.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017

yeah I sold my Xbox like an idiot and now I really regret it. I may grab the new Xbox when it releases but I'm dying to play now.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I spent 2 hours today attempting one race in the Koenigsegg championship for this week, in an Agera RS. Someone suggested taking buying a stock Agera; adding racing tires + AWD. Finished in one race. Amazing what a difference in control there was.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
As a person who has never really played, how do car unlocks work? AKA Using the $1 game pass, I am downloading the Standard version. The higher tier versions offer that 49 car Car Pass - are any of the cars in there even accessible in the early stages or should I just play and decide later?

Reading the description of the thing it sounds like you just get them all for free which seems kinda broken if that occurs at the start.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
As a person who has never really played, how do car unlocks work? AKA Using the $1 game pass, I am downloading the Standard version. The higher tier versions offer that 49 car Car Pass - are any of the cars in there even accessible in the early stages or should I just play and decide later?

Reading the description of the thing it sounds like you just get them all for free which seems kinda broken if that occurs at the start.
It doesnt matter as AI cars are matched to the performance of whatever car youre using.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I feel both DLC maps are pretty weak but others love them. Im not into the whole car collecting thing either so i personally wouldnt buy it.

I get that, the DLC maps didn't scream out at me when I looked. I'll see what cars are on offer before making the jump - just seems like there are some interesting ones on that list. Thanks for the replies!

Fucking 75 gig download is taking forever 😑 I should have thought about this sooner in the day lol

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Really enjoying the game. In classic form, there are so many points and currencies and levels and whatever else that I am just kinda lost but I guess it all makes sense :)

Good heavens the PC version frustrates me though, lol. If you have your mouse on the bottom of the screen it will bring up the Windows taskbar for some reason. I am currently working on a game FOR Microsoft and we don't do this. Absolutely crazy decision, how would this ever be desired? My searches on how to disable it are going nowhere, it seems like this is the way it is. I think I have to hide my taskbar each time I decide to boot up the game.

EDIT: Of course auto-hiding the Taskbar doesn't work. Christ.

Last edited:

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Really enjoying the game. In classic form, there are so many points and currencies and levels and whatever else that I am just kinda lost but I guess it all makes sense :)

Good heavens the PC version frustrates me though, lol. If you have your mouse on the bottom of the screen it will bring up the Windows taskbar for some reason. I am currently working on a game FOR Microsoft and we don't do this. Absolutely crazy decision, how would this ever be desired? My searches on how to disable it are going nowhere, it seems like this is the way it is. I think I have to hide my taskbar each time I decide to boot up the game.

Play in exclusive fullscreen mode.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Play in exclusive fullscreen mode.
😒

Have to say that I love the "Blueprint" concept. Super fun. Charging for "Fast Travel" is kinda weak, though. What's odd is if you try to Fast Travel to the HQ on the overworld, it will charge you currency. But, if you use the ESC menu map you can fast travel to the HQ for free. Just bizarre with the menus, they are so elaborate and I don't like navigating them.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
😒

Have to say that I love the "Blueprint" concept. Super fun. Charging for "Fast Travel" is kinda weak, though. What's odd is if you try to Fast Travel to the HQ on the overworld, it will charge you currency. But, if you use the ESC menu map you can fast travel to the HQ for free. Just bizarre with the menus, they are so elaborate and I don't like navigating them.
Yeah, I find that aspect of the menus really fussy. It does get better later on, for what it's worth--fast travel costs become kinda insignificant next to the amount of money you get from races and wheelspins and such.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017

Hide the mouse to the right of the screen.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
How do I do that? It's not the sides, it's the bottom of the screen.
Just move the mouse to the right edge of the screen, same as you would do with the bottom of the screen. The mouse should be hidden by moving "out of the screen" from the right edge, exactly the same as when hidding it under the bottom edge. Works anywhere, even in the windows desktop.

Unless your issue is that the taskbar is showing up not because you are trying to hide the mouse, but because you're using UI elements near the bottom of the screen? In that case, you're SOL. But you shouldn't need to be moving the mouse that far down anyway. And you can use the keyboard to navigate the menus as well.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Just move the mouse to the right edge of the screen, same as you would do with the bottom of the screen. The mouse should be hidden by moving "out of the screen" from the right edge, exactly the same as when hidding it under the bottom edge. Works anywhere, even in the windows desktop.

Unless your issue is that the taskbar is showing up not because you are trying to hide the mouse, but because you're using UI elements near the bottom of the screen? In that case, you're SOL. But you shouldn't need to be moving the mouse that far down anyway. And you can use the keyboard to navigate the menus as well.

:( I move the mouse all the time while driving; you can look around with it. I cannot believe that this is the default behaviour but all my internet searches reveal it to be so, which no clear solution.

I don't have an Xbox controller.

I could try a PS4 one, I guess. Fucking classsssssic port maneuver.

EDIT: Nope, it just changes how fast the cursor disappears. This means that the menus become almost impossible to navigate with the mouse since the cursor instantly hides.

EDIT2: Regardless, I am having a great time with the game. The power of the community-shared Tuning is real, the game is much more enjoyable when your cars do something :) I was super upset earlier because I accidentally X'd out of a MP game because the cursor at the top of the screen shows up if your mouse goes up there -_-

EDIT3: Tried the multiplayer Season vs. battle thing: Playground Games. Easily one of the most obnoxious things I've ever done. Utter tedium at tier 0. The "Rental" car you are given...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Coupé: Do you say Coop or CoopAY?

Was watching this show where the Europeans all seemed to say CoopAY. No French people as far as I could tell, so I didn't know what to think.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I was finally on a team that won one of the Playground things but it was painful.

Kinda wish there was more music variety, though. I like the radio station hosts, though- just want more tracks. When I heard the Halo theme on the Timeless station I was hoping there were more songs from other MS games.

I'm on Age of Empires 4 and I'm 100% going to suggest that we get the Age theme into Forza lol. They already have the Wololo horn I saw on a video somewhere :)

EDIT: Did make a focus to get all the Fast Travel signs and the Fast Travel House, too. Opens things up real nice now that I can just hop around. Even though I do like driving places just to do it...

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I was finally on a team that won one of the Playground things but it was painful.

Kinda wish there was more music variety, though. I like the radio station hosts, though- just want more tracks. When I heard the Halo theme on the Timeless station I was hoping there were more songs from other MS games.

I'm on Age of Empires 4 and I'm 100% going to suggest that we get the Age theme into Forza lol. They already have the Wololo horn I saw on a video somewhere :)

EDIT: Did make a focus to get all the Fast Travel signs and the Fast Travel House, too. Opens things up real nice now that I can just hop around. Even though I do like driving places just to do it...

That's one thing that all next-gen open-world racers need in regards to music, integrate Spotify / Apple Music etc. into their games so we you can have the radio-hosts but custom music.