• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
They just keep making questionable decisions with the GaaS aspect of the game and making everything take more effort for the same reward. Such a disappointment.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
GTPlanet has a pretty good write-up of exactly what's wrong with the Festival Playlist update.

Forza Horizon 4's Festival Playlist is a Step Backwards
"Play your way." This was the phrase often associated with Forza Horizon 4 in the months leading up to the game's release. However, in recent weeks this concept changed. No longer is it play your way, but rather play Playground Games' way.

Prior to the release of Series 7, players could earn exclusive cars by completing championships. They had all week to do so and players could complete them all in a single sitting. Also with Expert level Drivatars, they were challenging but still beatable for most players.

This is no longer the case. Now those same championships net players a simple Wheelspin. So what happened to the cars? They're locked behind 50 and 100 completion percentage for each season.

To make matters even worse, many of the cars are new to the series as well. Vehicles like the RTR Mustang and 2019 BMW Z4 are trapped behind your ability and willingness to complete several events.

As you imagine this poses a bit of an issue for players. Checking off the 50% completion task is relatively easy. There are plenty of challenges and championships to allow you some flexibility. However, to tick off the 100% players need to complete everything, including daily challenges that are not available all week.

This means if you happen to miss any of the dailies, achieving 100% is impossible. As a result, players will miss out on the 100% reward, which includes cars like the BMW M3 GTR and Porsche 914/6. That's both disappointing and frustrating for gamers who really want to drive those cars in the game.

Due to this change, players now need to play PG's way if they hope to snag the new cars. This means not only completing championships, but also multiplayer content, PR stunts, and Rivals. This leads to the game feeling like a chore as you grind through events you don't find enjoyable.
In addition, it also alienates an entire section of the player base. Not every player has a reliable internet connection to take part in multiplayer games. While they can still download the updates, trying to compete online just isn't in the cards. This makes it so they are unable to get 100% right off the bat.

For a game that said a constant internet connection wasn't required, this is rather disappointing.

Shortt Sirket

Oct 26, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Yeah, I am not happy about the exclusive new cars behind the 100% bullshit. It has actually made me play the game LESS now because I know I won't get the best cars because there is literally no way I will get 100%.

DasRavenEra

Oct 27, 2017
RDU
Finished my 100% of the Seasonal Playlist and can definitely say that I won't be doing that again.

I'm pretty sure doing what I had been doing (dailies, weekly, Pr stunts, championships with exclusive car prizes) will be enough to reach 50% each playlist. Anything I miss from not reaching 100% I'm more than willing to wait to hit the Forzathon store or do without.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
I still hate this festival playlist. It feels like busy work than letting me play how I want than anything. I wish they would scrape the thing or at least rework it so that it's doesn't have to be 50% and 100% to get the cars. Not everyone is gonna be able to do that.

edit: does the game still disconnect at the end of an unranked ffa adventure?

Last edited:

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I find myself torn on FH4. I love the setting. But I just find the way events are set up less inviting than FH3. What I liked about the last game was that every race location also had a corresponding championship. That means there were hundreds of events to work through. These don't exist now and they were my favourite way of playing the game.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I find myself torn on FH4. I love the setting. But I just find the way events are set up less inviting than FH3. What I liked about the last game was that every race location also had a corresponding championship. That means there were hundreds of events to work through. These don't exist now and they were my favourite way of playing the game.

Exactly how I feel. The way that FH3 unloaded events felt a bit overwhelming but with the seasons mode, they had a great excuse to introduce them gradually and keep you coming back.

Instead, the whole map feels smaller cos there's less to do and the weekly stuff just emphasises how much it's lacking after you finish all the events. It was one of my favourite games of all time up until I finished everything and now it just feels hollow. Massive shame.

microtubule

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been playing as much lately but since the festival playlist started I haven't had enough FP to buy one or both of the Forzathon vehicles. I know most of them are just cosmetic but oh well..

Really hoping the final expansion is coming soon.

MrPickles

Oct 25, 2017
The final expansion might be it for me, as far as regular playing. The new way they are doing it is way too driven around a "chore" feel and I just quit and haven't played since that update.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I haven't booted up the game in a couple weeks now. I still haven't 100%'d everything of the "main game" or the DLC, but the weeklies are just not very interesting, certainly not enough to bother wasting my limited gaming time on. In a sense, I don't mind: I'd hate if I had to "hate" Forza because of a chore to go on with every week to make meaningful progress. On the other, there's just not a lot of motivation to bother with these weeklies and dailies. I'd much prefer a more linear content-adding process, in which they add a new race, event, car every now and then, which then stays in. Having remixes of the same events every week is not interesting to me. Not enough, anyway.

Shortt Sirket

Oct 26, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
I still wonder why they don't add more hill climb events. It is the perfect game and setting to do it, just create some great up/downhill roads and let us go to town. Even the Fortune island expansion didn't really have any.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I love when you get a super spin and all three are just clothes :)

I still wonder why they don't add more hill climb events. It is the perfect game and setting to do it, just create some great up/downhill roads and let us go to town. Even the Fortune island expansion didn't really have any.

They've basically left it up to the community to make the rest of the events.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
After I did the fucking online adventure 🙄
Condolences 😢

E: I think the update might have just borked the percentages in general. I was at 50% total completion (for 4 seasons) before the update and now I'm at 40%, and my season completion for last season is 73% even though I did everything but the Playground Games and Online Adventure.

Last edited:

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Has winter started? Is there somewhere I can check online to see what season it is in Forza Horizon 4, without booting up the game?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I didn't even bother last week but I have to say this week is looking great. Good shop cars and the Elise isn't locked behind multiplayer garbage. That and of course I have to play because Winter is the best season.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Funny, I've had this game since early access and had no idea until last night that some production cars are wheelspin or Forzathon shop only. I was pondering how Forza 7 has the 2018 Civic Type R and how Horizon 4 seemingly doesn't...

Favorite car is RNG. It seems like it wasn't in the game quite at launch but still... Kind of a bummer to discover that the car has been available for some time and I didn't know about it because its unlock method is pretty elusive.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I like the co op races now, which I do. I just hate all of the duplicate cars I keep winning. You used to be able to get them and then sell them right away after a spin, I think....

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
Funny, I've had this game since early access and had no idea until last night that some production cars are wheelspin or Forzathon shop only. I was pondering how Forza 7 has the 2018 Civic Type R and how Horizon 4 seemingly doesn't...

Favorite car is RNG. It seems like it wasn't in the game quite at launch but still... Kind of a bummer to discover that the car has been available for some time and I didn't know about it because its unlock method is pretty elusive.
FH4 does have it. But now you either have to wait until it rotates back in the Forzathon shop (for a large amount of FP) or Auction House.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
Update 8:
the summer cars are:
mb gt 4 door for 50% and twin mill for 80%
autumn cars are:
599x evo and 280sl
Winter cars are:
67 chevelle and lykan hypersport
Spring cars are:
the old corsa vxr and a rabbit suit
REMOVED FREE ROAM RUSH for racing online
Layer mask for livery editor
Barrett Jackson cars coming (unsure if free or not)

Expansion 2 will be coming first half 2019

Last edited:

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Removal of free roam rush? Now *that* is what I call some welcome news!

Edit: Ooh, and I see some other tweaks to go along with that...
"Drift Adventure" sounds interesting.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I forgot to mention, there's also a Barrett Jackson car pack (unsure if free or paid). Comes with car pass, I assume the price will be like the others packs.

update: Update 8 Patch notes

Last edited:

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Update 8:
the summer cars are:
mb gt 4 door for 50% and twin mill for 80%
autumn cars are:
599x evo and 280sl
Winter cars are:
67 chevelle and lykan hypersport
Spring cars are:
the old corsa vxr and a rabbit suit
REMOVED FREE ROAM RUSH for racing online
Layer mask for livery editor
Barrett Jackson cars coming (unsure if free or not)

Expansion 2 will be coming first half 2019

they are getting rid of free roam rush? oh hell yes.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Online races are almost pointless cos of the tactic of smashing into the walls and holding acceleration.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
As somebody who has no interest in the Online stuff whatsoever the new festival playlist just seems pointless as I don't seem to be able to unlock the cars just doing single player stuff (not for last two weeks) after a break of a month. Unless Fortune Island has stuff and haven't visited in a while.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
As somebody who has no interest in the Online stuff whatsoever the new festival playlist just seems pointless as I don't seem to be able to unlock the cars just doing single player stuff (not for last two weeks) after a break of a month. Unless Fortune Island has stuff and haven't visited in a while.
It's mitigated a little by the fact that you only have to suffer through one online adventure a month in addition to the weekly single-player stuff to unlock everything.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
It's mitigated a little by the fact that you only have to suffer through one online adventure a month in addition to the weekly single-player stuff to unlock everything.

I may have a closer look then, I enjoy doing the championships and didn't mind doing the rival events. Will investigate further with the new monthly update.