• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Hi guys, i'm interested in buying the game but i have some doubts on what the gameplay loop is.
Do you roam around the open world looking for races? can you upgrade the car? Is it similar to NFS Underground 2 as concept?
Thanks for the answers, i'm thinking about it playing now that i got Gamepass PC

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
we are dismissing it because its barely any content and offers little new. its like 25% the size of fortune island which was already small and offered little

That's rather revisionist. In the past four days since the reveal we've had people whining about Lego cars getting into their serious Forza game. Now that we know there are only three Lego cars and they are entirely optional, you've changed to whining about the content being too short.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I swear, every single time I return to FH4 on PC there's a new problem I need to spend a half hour figuring out. First it'd just fail to launch entirely, then it was distorted audio due to the game apparently not liking my default audio device's sampling frequency (which to be fair is an odd setting due to my nightmare streaming setup, but literally no other games ever have trouble with it), and today it was crashing to desktop after trying to get into the game from the main menu... it's been ages since I've played a PC game that is so reliably unreliable.

Anyway, after spending the requisite time troubleshooting, I got back in, and yeah, this Lego expansion fucking rules so far. Technical issues aside, the game continues to be a damn delight.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Hi guys, i'm interested in buying the game but i have some doubts on what the gameplay loop is.
Do you roam around the open world looking for races? can you upgrade the car? Is it similar to NFS Underground 2 as concept?
Thanks for the answers, i'm thinking about it playing now that i got Gamepass PC
Yes, although it's more NFSU 2 meets Gran Turismo once you start turning off assists and use sim handling. Races are at fixed points and I think you can race drivatars roaming the map if you enter the solo mode, although you miss out on hourly forzathon events.

If you love racing for the thrill of it, you'll be in for a treat.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
That's rather revisionist. In the past four days since the reveal we've had people whining about Lego cars getting into their serious Forza game. Now that we know there are only three Lego cars and they are entirely optional, you've changed to whining about the content being too short.
You should read my original post. Ive changed nothing. I was never disappointed in the lego aspect specifically. I was disappointed at the sameness and dearth of differing content both expansions provided. Both forza 3 expansions offered very different experiences than what was offered in the base game. These 2 expansions dont. Fortune island plays and looks near identical to the base game just with far less detail and various parts of the map looking straight up unfinished. Its also quite small. This new lego map is even smaller and again plays exactly the same. And if you minus the legoized bits it looks the same too

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yes, although it's more NFSU 2 meets Gran Turismo once you start turning off assists and use sim handling. Races are at fixed points and I think you can race drivatars roaming the map if you enter the solo mode, although you miss out on hourly forzathon events.

If you love racing for the thrill of it, you'll be in for a treat.

It really sounds like my jam then, thanks for the info :)

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Man something about the way the roads flow in Lego land really makes the freeroamung super fun and smooth.

Just a lot of winding smooth curves with some sweet launch pad jumps spread around. Too small but looks great and plays beautifully.

The challenge system just flows without even interacting if you just drive around and have fun. I've only specifically targeted a handful of challenges. The rest just unfolded organically.

So happy there are only 3 Lego cars though. But damn the world should have been twice as big.

I've only been to fortune Island maybe 5 times and done two treasures since it came out as it is so bland. But this is fun and I will probably complete it. Better than hot wheels, which got boring fast.

Edit... So is everyone else only seeing old Minis driving around as the AI traffic?

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear it.
Same thing happened with me too as I thought it had already downloaded. Not only that it froze my XBox for a good 2 minutes just initializing the download. All was eventually good though.

I also no doubt agree. Really damn well made all around.

This is literally my only critique. Especially since the lego cars handle the exact same as the other cars and the only thing that makes them Lego is visually they are made from Lego's, I think it would have been great if every car you raced as also Lego's just to keep the visual look and feel consistent.
The other small thing is why are some trees still actual trees but others are not? That last one is a super, super small critique though.

Overall I think this may be the best expansion yet in a Horizon game and I have played them all.
People dismissing it just because it is Lego's are really doing themselves a disservice. It is entirely still Horizon, just the visuals are changed to be Lego.

Yeah, I actually like the blend for some reason between actual and LEGO, idk why. But I'm liking this expansion even more than fortune island. I liked fortune island because of the mountain races though

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
I am still on the fence if I should buy the new lego expansion.

When Forza Horizon 4 launched I played it for a month via gamepass and completed most of the events. Thanks to the mixer integration I managed to get a lot of cars. Now with the new gamepass for PC I once again can access the game and I keep asking myself if I should by the expansion or the ultimate edition. Is the cost of admission (60 euro for ultimate or 20 euro dlcs) worth it given my time with the base game.

I have not played fortune island or have any car pass yet so I would be interested what your thoughts are about the ulitmate edition and both expansions. I figured buying the dlcs ... I don´t know if I will resub the gamepass after the month.

Last edited:

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
anyone else noticing some framerate hiccups in the Lego expansion?

I'm on X. It just stutters occasionally. Also have a pretty solid 100mbs connection so not sure it it is just not optimized as well as the main game otr what?

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
f l y i n g
unknown.png

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Loving the expansion, it's a ton of fun and the challenge system adds a lot to the Horizon experience.

Probably around 75% done with all the challenges, mostly missing the ones for finishing events.

Oct 29, 2017
Very happy with the Lego expansion! It's so much fun! The challenge system is neat, and I love the feeling of being constantly rewarded. I had 30 VIP Super Wheelspins saved up, and I used them, and got jack shit for cool stuff so that hasn't changed haha.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cross country events are really fun in this expansion. They already had a big focus on wrecking shit and now most of the shit you're wrecking is exploding in LEGO bricks. Perfection.

Does kind of add to the disappointment of there being only three LEGO cars though, none of them are any of the offroad types. Here's what they should do, there's already fake cars in the game from FF and Halo, just add the Mad Max looking vehicles from the 2nd LEGO movie =D!

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
Cross country events are really fun in this expansion. They already had a big focus on wrecking shit and now most of the shit you're wrecking is exploding in LEGO bricks. Perfection.

Does kind of add to the disappointment of there being only three LEGO cars though, none of them are any of the offroad types. Here's what they should do, there's already fake cars in the game from FF and Halo, just add the Mad Max looking vehicles from the 2nd LEGO movie =D!
That's what I was thinking they should. Because I kept seeing the Lego car commercials vehicles on CN/Nickelodeon

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Haven't seen any issues on PC so it might be a console thing.
Yea might be something is definitely up. Even in the menus going into the pause menu at times it's slow and janky and even completely locked up on me today.

Really bad going into the design menu. Restarted my X and went to base game and FI and it only does it in Lego land

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Got about 20 brick challenges left, these are fun to do, need that fully upgraded LEGO house.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The downside of this content update is that it made relatively rare issues more common for me. That glitch that happened to me like once or twice in total where you can't pause the game, access the map or anything unless you restart the game? It happens like 40-50% of the times these days. The loading times also became oddly long, and there seem to be more freezes than before. Fantastic DLC but a couple headaches.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Anyone else had trouble getting enough people for the Trial and Playground Games sine this expansion was announced? there never seems to be enough about to play.

Maybe the Lego has put everyone off.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Very slow loading times on my One X last night. Initially had to restart the console as it seems like the install was screwed up.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone else had trouble getting enough people for the Trial and Playground Games sine this expansion was announced? there never seems to be enough about to play.

trail is just a wheelspin so I'm guessing low interest in general without the lego dlc influencing things

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I don't suppose anyone knows of a good reliable way to use a playstation 4 controller with this on PC. I have to use DS4Windows in a weird way. I have to click and unclick exclusive mode while the games running and half the time it doesnt work and it crashes the drivers keep needing to be updated. Is there maybe another way or can I go through steam or something.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't suppose anyone knows of a good reliable way to use a playstation 4 controller with this on PC. I have to use DS4Windows in a weird way. I have to click and unclick exclusive mode while the games running and half the time it doesnt work and it crashes the drivers keep needing to be updated. Is there maybe another way or can I go through steam or something.
Do you have other game platforms open like Uplay or Steam when running ds4windows? The only thing I had to do was set it to run as admin (in the shortcut properties itself) and check off 'Hide DS4 Controller" to get it working for me OK + Forza. (I play wired)

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Do you have other game platforms open like Uplay or Steam when running ds4windows? The only thing I had to do was set it to run as admin (in the shortcut properties itself) and check off 'Hide DS4 Controller" to get it working for me OK + Forza. (I play wired)

Yeah I have to close steam to get it to working but that's the only other one I had running. But it doesn't matter now my controller has stopped working completely now it doesn't work in steam it doesn't work in anything now.

microtubule

Oct 25, 2017

Yes but sometimes it comes down to the time of day and and prize for that week. It's been quite a few times this season that 2 or less people have joined which usually means a complete waste of time against the AI.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017

Running as admin worked, after I plugged it in to another USB port thanks.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
I finally finished that 'do 20 showoff skills' in the Lego. I restarted the Oasis Loop Scramble with my meyer max to do it.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I guess barely anyone is playing this Lego expansion.
I just finished the Lego Stories part of it, got 3 stars on every challenge (which is not hard at all, you just don't follow what they suggest), and so far only .51 percent of gamers have unlocked that achievement. So not even 1%. Perhaps I just do not play enough games or am not good enough at the games I do play to see these types of achievements, but I think that is officially the lowest percentage I have ever seen for an Achievement. Usually I see like 2 or 3 %.
It's a damn shame too as there are some great events to enjoy.
With that said, while I have really enjoyed my time overall with the expansion, I do think I will stop playing it fairly soon. While I still have a good amount of brick challenges left, adding shit to my virtual Lego house is really not enough to keep me going. And as of now I have no events left on my map.
Does anyone know if I will unlock more if I get to a certain point on the house? I just added the swimming pool and it is saying I should now build a log cabin or some shit. I can get the bricks needed for the latter pretty quick if I want, I just really have no strong desire to do so if I have unlocked all the events.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the Lego Stories part of it, got 3 stars on every challenge (which is not hard at all, you just don't follow what they suggest), and so far only .51 percent of gamers have unlocked that achievement. So not even 1%. Perhaps I just do not play enough games or am not good enough at the games I do play to see these types of achievements, but I think that is officially the lowest percentage I have ever seen for an Achievement. Usually I see like 2 or 3 %.
I played like 3-4 hours of this expansion (and I really enjoy it), I only did the first 3 Lego Stories (I don't like doing them all straight, I prefer coming back from time to time) and did many events.
Not every players will do the 9 stories right away and get all 3 stars directly (I got the 3 stars on the first 3 stories on first try though).
Also there's more than 10 Millions players that logged into FH4, thus 0.51 is more than 51 000 players.
The first achievement of the expansion you get when reaching your house was earned by 4.75 % of the players owning the game, so nearly 11 % of the expansion owners got that Stories achievement.
The expansion launched a week ago and is not included in Game Pass, I think it's still a good number considering that kind of achievement.

It mainly depends on how players spend their time on games, I play several games and move from one to the other depending on what I want to play, and tomorrow I'll add one more to my current games list : Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled.

I have 3 days and 15 hours of play time in FH4 and did not finish all stories yet, and I may only have one or two completed with 3 stars (the Drift one in the first expansion was quite easy, but "only" 1.79% got the 21 stars).

Other interesting numbers :
- 81.51% got the very first achievement, so more than 18% never finished the intro (nearly 200 000 players)
- 11% got the first Fortune Island achievement

But I think the achievement numbers can be wrong if it counts logged users when another user is actually playing, I already saw a game appear on another profile that was logged while I was playing that game on my account.

Last edited:

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I played like 3-4 hours of this expansion (and I really enjoy it), I only did the first 3 Lego Stories (I don't like doing them all straight, I prefer coming back from time to time) and did many events.
Not every players will do the 9 stories right away and get all 3 stars directly (I got the 3 stars on the first 3 stories on first try though).
Also there's more than 10 Millions players that logged into FH4, thus 0.51 is more than 51 000 players.
The first achievement of the expansion you get when reaching your house was earned by 4.75 % of the players owning the game, so nearly 9 % of the expansion owners got that Stories achievement.
The expansion launched a week ago and is not included in Game Pass, I think it's still a good number considering that kind of achievement.

It mainly depends on how players spend their time on games, I play several games and move from one to the other depending on what I want to play, and tomorrow I'll add one more to my current games list : Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled.

I have 3 days and 15 hours of play time in FH4 and did not finish all stories yet, and I may only have one or two completed with 3 stars (the Drift one in the first expansion was quite easy, but "only" 1.79% got the 21 stars).

Other interesting numbers :
- 81.51% got the very first achievement, so more than 18% never finished the intro (nearly 200 000 players)
- 11% got the first Fortune Island achievement

But I think the achievement numbers can be wrong if it counts logged users when another user is actually playing, I already saw a game appear on another profile that was logged while I was playing that game on my account.
Just an FYI I also play several games at once. I am playing Ape Out and Katana Zero on Switch, Rage 2 on the PS4 and this expansion since it was released. I have not played this any more than 2 hours any of the days since it was released and I also did not play it every day. For example I did not even touch it over the weekend or yesterday. And it has only been out what, since Thursday. While I enjoy the hell out of the game it is not a game I can play for all that long. With the Lego Stories I did 3 one day, 3 another day, and the remaining 4 today. I also consider myself a pretty casual Forza Horizon 4 player. As I said earlier in the thread I had not touched it for 4 months prior to this expansion coming out. I would imagine the non casual player who has put hundreds of hours into the game could breeze through this expansion in one extended gaming session.

So while you make a very solid and compelling argument, you definitely do, it still seems pretty low to me for what is widely regarded as the best racing franchise on the market right now.

What I was saying more than anything else is this expansion does not seem all that popular among those who consider themselves big fans of the series, and that to me is a shame because it is a great expansion, albeit it a fairly short experience all things considered. And it is that latter fact, that it is very short, that made the lower number all things considered even more shocking to me. As I shared above, I by no means powered through this expansion. I actually would say I took my time.

I just thought it would be more popular was my point. Especially considering how highly regarded the series is.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With that said, while I have really enjoyed my time overall with the expansion, I do think I will stop playing it fairly soon. While I still have a good amount of brick challenges left, adding shit to my virtual Lego house is really not enough to keep me going. And as of now I have no events left on my map.
Does anyone know if I will unlock more if I get to a certain point on the house? I just added the swimming pool and it is saying I should now build a log cabin or some shit. I can get the bricks needed for the latter pretty quick if I want, I just really have no strong desire to do so if I have unlocked all the events.

That percentage is calculated based upon ALL the people that ever played Forza Horizon 4. Isn't that like 10 million people? Some of them don't have the game anymore, others may not have the console anymore, others just tried it at a buddy's house, others aren't into racers but tried a quick run through Game Pass anyway. DLCs coming out several months later almost always have very low percentages for this reason. The DLC also came out last week, a lot of people who want to play and finish it probably either haven't started or haven't finished (I'm a huge fan but I have not finished all activities either).

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm taking my time with the Lego expansion. I burned through Fortune Island way too quickly.

Shotterke

Prophet of Regret
Oct 31, 2017
Belgium
For some reason I can't activate the viewpoint at the pirate ship. Not getting a prompt or anything. Anybody else with this problem?

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love forza horizon but I have grown terribly bored of it lately. I think the time has come to just put it down and wait maybe a month for the weekly events. I've collected a lot of the cars anyway.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to try this out via Game Pass on the PC. Ran into a weird issue, all the textures for roads and terrain are invisible. Tried dropping down the settings, updated drivers, rebooted, reset via the app menu. No joy. Is this a common thing? Dont think I could be arsed re-installing as its 70 gigs.

microtubule

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love forza horizon but I have grown terribly bored of it lately. I think the time has come to just put it down and wait maybe a month for the weekly events. I've collected a lot of the cars anyway.

same here but I can't complain as I have over 100 fun hours in and the game really didn't give me all that many problems on PC compared to FH3.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
so all my car mastery upgrades are gone. i googled and apparently there was some bug with an update but they refunded players their points. i received none. is there any solution?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Okay this was a bit of a disappointment...

I bought the LEGO expansion for my young ones, they were exstatic at first, were literally screaming and jumping in their seats, then we started collecting Lego bits, it took awhile but it was going to be worth it, it was a jolly good time. Eventually we could build our first house. OMG the excitement! *poff* But... wait... what? The house just popped up. No building. No choices. No using the LEGO parts we had collected. Not even the color. The house just popped up all done. There you go. Done. But wait, we can enter the house! Oh... just a menu... Both kids started crying...

Not cool, Playground.

This expansion was clearly aimed at kids but the gameplay is still aimed at adults. Such a missed opportunity. The gameplay is an extreme collectathon too, of the kind I don't think I've ever even heard about before. In the end the "campaign here is just a wall of missons with LEGO parts as the reward, which you never get to actually use, and the wall gets bigger the more you play. I'm not amused and my kids, well as I said, they started crying. :/