• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Dude did you seriously think it was a Lego game
Not quite, but a bit. We've played the base game a ton already, but the trailer was made in a way that it got me (and definitely the kids) believing that they had added some new gameplay now, the house building for example.
Try watching the trailer again with an open mind in that direction.

And also, once the game started and we got a flat building surface and needed to collect LEGO parts to build the house it felt obvious that there would be some sort of building process now, at least some choices.

They were so close, and they could've easily visited Rare and talked with the Banjo NB team about adding a simplistic building engine, it could've been great.

But it's just the same game with a new map with a LEGO coat of paint and a collectathon as the campaign.

For me it was not worth the money, the world they've built is kinda cool but as an adult it's not keeping me interested, after 2 hours or so I'm already bored and the kids didn't like it since they felt betrayed.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
You can't just "add" a building engine, it doesn't work like that.
Why not? They have the 3D models for the blocks, they have the development expertice, they have the LEGO license. They could've at least given us some options how to spend the blocks we collected. Different house models, different colors, choosing where on the surface we should place the house, etc. And why are we racing with a LEGO avatar but after the race and at beauty spots we see the regular Horizon avatar dancing?

The whole thing is just such a missed opportunity. They could've done so much more, they could've honestly released this as a stand alone game with some building gameplay and it would've sold like crazy to kids. I wish I would've filmed the craziness when they saw the Xbox store video. Perfectly aimed at kids 3-10.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
What you're describing is a game built from the ground up, not a DLC expansion pack. Yeah it's weird the Lego drivers are only in the car but that's the scope of the project I guess. A full Lego racing game like you're describing would be far more complicated, unless you literally just want to press A to put bricks in predefined positions, like a rhythm game.
That rhythm game is not a bad idea... But yeah I guess I would rather have seen a stand alone LEGO game. It's identity is a bit confusing now. The driving is great but my highest wish for the expansion wasn't a LEGO map, and the kids loved the LEGO idea but obviously wanted the other part of what makes LEGO great, the building. Feels like nobody is perfectly happy, at least at my place. In the end I'm probably going to do some more challenges by myself for awhile just because I payed for it, but unless there is some surprise hidden I'll eventually drop it unfinished.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that it wasn't what you were hoping for, I can see how much it'd thrill kids - I just don't think you'd get it as an aside. It'd probably sell millions more as a full title than DLC anyway and be better for it. Who knows, maybe we'll get Minecraft Racing or something.
Lol yeah Minecraft Racing would work too, with vehicle design sharing, would probably battle it out with Mario Kart on the top lists.

Oh well, I think I'll play some Nuts and Bolts for the youngsters instead, we started awhile ago and they loved that. Viva Pinata has been a favorite as well now that I start thinking about Rare.

Seriously, there is so much to explore in that playful creative segment, simplicity combined with creative freedom. MS just isn't seeing the market I guess, they're more focused on core gamers right now. We can create our own Escape maps in Gears 5 at least, that's cool. It's just a bit annoying that we can't build a simple four walled shack of our own design in a fully LEGO licensed add on.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to jump in with the sale earlier, I'm having a blast. Wouldn't mind adding a few people here to my Xbox friends list, so I have a bit more variety on the drivatars I'm seeing. My username on there is the same as on here.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Don't know if anyone has tried yet but the weekly Forza challenge with the modern sports car has anyone found a combination to get to 240 miles per hour 3 stars on Moorhead wind farm?

I've tried 3 different modern sports cars completely maxed out and I can only get to 238

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if anyone has tried yet but the weekly Forza challenge with the modern sports car has anyone found a combination to get to 240 miles per hour 3 stars on Moorhead wind farm?

I've tried 3 different modern sports cars completely maxed out and I can only get to 238
I did with an maxxed out Griffith. Although I don't know what car I would have done it if I didn't have the DLC car.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
I believe the Griffith is an car pass car. Unless you have an 2019 Porsche 911 Carrera S or something it might be hard. Could always try to bring the Audi TTS up to S2/X class and see if it works.
Yea i owned it as DLC but sold it. Could not get over 239 with the Cayman or the Audi but got it on the first try with the Griffith maxed out from auction house.

Didn't try Carrera

Quaker

Oct 27, 2017

I tried to challenge myself by using the BRZ with a custom tune for 30 minutes but I wasn't able to get a good enough line to get higher than around 236.

Moved on to the Cayman GTS and the "Speed Trap" custom shared tune and got 241 on my first try with a pretty sloppy line going from north to south.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
I tried to challenge myself by using the BRZ with a custom tune for 30 minutes but I wasn't able to get a good enough line to get higher than around 236.

Moved on to the Cayman GTS and the "Speed Trap" custom shared tune and got 241 on my first try with a pretty sloppy line going from north to south.
Haha crap. I tried many many times with several tunes and could not get it done with Cayman even tuning it myself

you can always rebuy your DLC cars in the autoshow. No need to get it from the auction house.
True i forgot about that, cant remember what i paid but I think it was less than autoshow retail plus it already had upgraded parts

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Series 11 update:

FEATURES
  • New Story: Top Gear: The Horizon Special
  • Class-Based Rivals for every track in the game
  • Horizon Life Timeline - rewards details for each level
  • Star Card updated with rewards
  • Festival Playlist with new Story and reward cars

NEW CARS
  • 1996 Chevrolet Impala Super Sport (Festival Playlist: Autumn)
  • 2019 Ford Ranger Raptor (Autoshow)
  • 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Deberti Design (Spring Trial)
  • 2006 Koenigsegg CCX (Festival Playlist: Winter)
  • 2011 McLaren 12C Coupe (Autumn championship)
  • 2014 Mercedes-Benz G 63 AMG 6x6 (Story: Top Gear)
  • 2017 Mercedes-Benz E 350 D 4Matic All-Terrain "Project E-AT" (Story: Top Gear)
  • 2018 Top Gear Track-tor (Story: Top Gear)

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Lots of neat stuff, but those rewards look like cars and hats from the first DLC. Also, those auction house changes only mean rare wheelspin and event only vehicles will be worth 20 million. Good luck getting that 599XX if you didn't win it

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
well I thought that Top Gear story was gonna be pain. Turns out, not that much. Only had trouble with the E-Cat one and Taxi speed run on the sand.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the bastard Porsche event. The Drivatar AI is screwy at the best of times in the online co-op races but, man, that was something else. So many uprights to wreck you into.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Little question. The car pass says 49 car yet I have only 43 downloaded and I see the same on the marketplace. What about the 6 missing ?

microtubule

Oct 25, 2017
Since the latest patch at least for me they managed to make the wheelspins worse as the last 5 out of 8 have been 2000 credit spins.

Anyways, I thought PG did a bang up job on the Stig outfit and really enjoying the Rimrac for hooning around.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Oh is the Top Gear story out already?

Jesus, I haven't even finished the Lego DLC...

i still haven't finished the fortune island one, only 3 treasures and i don't think I've done the final event yet even lol. I just kinda lose interest after 10 hours for the DLCs.

I don't think I have enough forzathon points though. I wonder if I'll break 100k before the next forza game

The load times on PC are a nightmare now though, I mean the initial load. It takes a good 2-3 minutes after the first enter to go through its "checking for update" system, and now about 10% of the time it fails that and you can't do anything. Even on xbox the sync at the start takes forever. I hope they fix it, makes it harder to jump into a forzathon if you notice its 57 mins past the hour, you probably won't make it in time.

imThBrh.jpg

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Along with the load times I wish you could somehow skip those two logo/intro movies. They dont use your audio settings so they are offensively loud.

Rationale

Alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Can't put my finger on it but the Top Gear challenges are really poor. Can't stand the "Race to the destination - actually it's this destination" chapters.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I think the challenges on the way to them are more interesting, like not damaging the BMW or driving a big truck

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to hook my PC up to my TV in the living room (4K). Such a change from playing on my tiny 1080 monitor in the office!

I thought it looked good before, but my word...

Anyway, I'm WAY back into this game now. Tried to join the ERA club on the website but it doesn't really do anything when I press request invite.
Sorry if whoever checks that got like 10 requests. If it didn't go through I'll try again when I get home.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Is anyone else not getting the stars from speed traps counted in the truck?

E: seems like it's a wording error. Instead of 3 stars total from speed traps it actually triggers when you get 3 stars from a single speed trap.

Last edited:

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Oof. I'm going down another Forza hole. After exhausting myself with FH4 (many hundreds of hours, to be sure), and FH3 (which I greedily consumed while also being deep into FH4), I borrowed a friends copy of FH2...

I can't seem to buy the expansions or car packs! NOOoooooo! Bearing in mind this is flat-out money being left on the table, I can only assume licensing issues mean I can't buy this stuff. Anyway, a nice little bonus was all those times I clicked into the Forza Hub app to get the free credits. Turns out that applies to games you've not played, and... I guess just hangs around until you play them, I guess. I just went from 80k credits to 4 million! It's free real estate! Nice.

Driving on the right is messing me the hell up though, particularly at roundabouts. EVERY...SINGLE...TIME... the GPS says, 'take the first exit', I turn left instead of right, and get mightly confused for a second or two.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Yeah unless you find actual codes, you can't redeem the DLC for FH1 or 2 sadly. I find it hard to go back to FH2 after 3, I feel like the series really found its feet there.

I might need to look around for codes then; maybe I'll get lucky. So, on the whole 'hard to go back thing'... Very quickly, my introduction to Forza as a franchise was FM7 - but long after it initially came out, so I think I missed some of the early apparently messed up stuff with that game. Then got talked into boarding the hype-train for FH4, got mad into that, and now I guess I'm working my way backwards through the franchise.

I'm finding it okay to deal with the rougher edges of the earlier games. Because it is still the great Forza *driving* that I love, I can deal many of the structural things about FH3 and FH2 that I otherwise miss from FH4. The *hardest* thing to deal with, for me at least, is the lack of ghosting in 'zone-based' stuff. FH4 very much spoiled me, in those terms. I also miss the 60fps option that FH4 gives you, if you have an XBOX One X (but I continue to be impressed with how race-able they managed to make the games at 30fps).

You know, I should probably take the plunge and nab FM6 as well - I hear great things about it, and it is quite cheaply available.

microtubule

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this weeks autumn playground seasonal on the 2nd go-around. Only had 3 human teammates but we dominated well enough that the drivatars started disconnecting. Finished #Forzathon on the 1st try as well since I had decent teammates. I used the Benz truck but many recommended using the unimog.

Still noticing the wheelspin payout downgrade and in 10 wheelspins and 4 supers I have aquired two "common" cars and finally a Crown Vic after 140hrs but the rest were 5k/10k/20k greens and one 180000 purple.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
In the LEGO DLC, I want to randomly do races and stunts in the open world. If I do that, is it possible that I'll run into a situation where I've completed a race or stunt and then later in the story it becomes a brick challenge and I have to redo that race or stunt?

I'm wondering if brick challenges can get hidden like that. Or, do brick challenges get automatically earned as you do them, even if you're not at a certain point in the story?