• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
wr10QnM.jpg

Developer: Playground Games/Turn 10 Studios
Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Release Date: September 28th, 2018 (Ultimate Edition) / October 2nd
Platform: Windows 10

System Requirements

ISPscJA.jpg

Drivers

GeForce Game Ready Driver 399.24 (newest is 411.70 but PG recommends this one)
Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.9.3

Graphics Settings

zinycXK.jpg

XgBTk4m.jpg

CzMA300.jpg

PC Settings Guide courtesy of wonderful Dictator at Digital Foundry

Benchmarks

Computerbase.de
Pcgameshardware.de

Known Issues

Game will crash to desktop if Riva Tuner Statistics Server is running.
Forcing Anisotropic Filtering in Nvidia control panel will stop AF from working all together.
Some sound related issues fixes
Using 'Dolby Atmos for Headphones' causes the game to crash during the intro videos. Right-clicking the Sound icon on the taskbar and setting 'Spatial Sound' to 'Off' stops the crashing. (SunBroDave)

Last edited:

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon 3 was a nightmare at launch on PC, but now I'm playing it at near-Ultra and getting 4K 60fps. Hopefully I can get close to that, even if I have to go down to 1440p!

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The demo runs at around 20FPS on my ultra low end, piece of trash laptop. Consider me impressed.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pro tip: to fix vegetation shimmering/aliasing force Transparency Antialiasing in Nvidia Control Panel for FH4 game profile. It's a bit demanding but if your hardware is good enough picture quality bump is totally worth it!

Also high end PC users who run at 8xMSAA and 8x Transparency AA might want to disable FXAA because it becomes redundant and just blurs the image.

Or2nnQZ.png

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Subbed!

Crosspost from the demo thread:

Anyone else seeing weird white dots appearing for a single frame on the character models in cutscenes?

I've seen threads about it on the Nvidia and Forza forums but no solution has been found as of yet. Wondering how prevalent this is.

For me they only started to appear in the FH4 demo after my GPU OC, but reverting didn't make them go away, and they're only in this demo, nowhere else, so I don't think this is hardware-related.

Others have in the thread have seen it too. Anyone experience this in the full game?

I'm also going to echo the recommendation to use transparency AA, the bump in IQ is really worth it.

OP
OP
SmartWaffles

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
If you remove an audio device (like plugging out a headphone) during start up the game will also crash to desktop lol.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
My PC with a 7700K + 1080ti (neither overclocked) surprised me and ran the demo at 4K and a locked 60 fps on my OLED. Other than one or two settings, it is maxed out. I may try the 8x transparency AA tonight and see how it affects it.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My PC with a 7700K + 1080ti (neither overclocked) surprised me and ran the demo at 4K and a locked 60 fps on my OLED. Other than one or two settings, it is maxed out. I may try the 8x transparency AA tonight and see how it affects it.
Don't think a 1080Ti can do 4K 60 with 8x transparency AA, but 4x might work.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Definitely runs better than FH3. I've been playing my review copy exclusively on PC. So far I've managed to do 4K with either medium settings or 4K using high and medium manual settings. This includes MSAA x4.

Ryzen 7 1700
EVGA GTX 1080

Color me super impressed.

If you remove an audio device (like plugging out a headphone) during start up the game will also crash to desktop lol.

I noticed that if I left my controller die, the game would eventually close out.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
So ready. Curious to see how it runs on my 7700K w/ vanilla 1080.
My 1080 does 4k/60 in the demo if I put the settings to 'high' then put SSAO on low and make sure MSAA is at 2X

I'm also forcing 4X Transparency AA thru the nvidia control panel

This is on a 3.6ghz x3470 (Lynnfield!) CPU, so your 7700k will rip through it. You'll be GPU limited.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
My 1080 does 4k/60 in the demo if I put the settings to 'high' then put SSAO on low and make sure MSAA is at 2X

I'm also forcing 4X Transparency AA thru the nvidia control panel

This is on a 3.6ghz x3470 (Lynnfield!) CPU, so your 7700k will rip through it. You'll be GPU limited.
Awesome. Thanks for your input

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017

Be wary, transparency AA can be extremely demanding, Dirt Rally has it and basically it cuts framerate in half.

I wanna hear impressions from the vanilla 1080 buddies. I"ve been toying around with Horizon 3 settings these past few days and found that with anything past 1440p 4xMSAA you can have dips during a few frames dumping into other cars and the like, I assume it's more cpu related because it doesn't matter if I use 1800p 4xMSAA, 1440p 8x...

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
Having a 980ti, I wish this game had resolution scaling so I could set the native res to 4K then scale it down to 1440p so I could play it in HDR. HDR only works in 4K and I'd rather not play at 30fps.

Slimboy Fat

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
So 4GB Vram and GTX 1060 3GB recommended, which is it?

FH3 had Vram stuttering for me and I'm using the GTX 3GB

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I
Be wary, transparency AA can be extremely demanding, Dirt Rally has it and basically it cuts framerate in half.

I wanna hear impressions from the vanilla 1080 buddies. I"ve been toying around with Horizon 3 settings these past few days and found that with anything past 1440p 4xMSAA you can have dips during a few frames dumping into other cars and the like, I assume it's more cpu related.
I've been uploading gameplay at 4K on an 1080. Since it's the only PC connected to a 4K LCD, it's all I've used for testing.

If there's something anyone wants me to check out / try, let me know.

Check out the snow in the first video at the 4:36 min marker.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How do you make this game TRUE fullscreen?
If you move mouse to bottom or top of the screen taskbar or topbar pops up and OBS doesnt detect the game because it doesnt count it as fullscreen?

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I
How do you make this game TRUE fullscreen?
If you move mouse to bottom or top of the screen taskbar or topbar pops up and OBS doesnt detect the game because it doesnt count it as fullscreen?
For me, I'm using a two PC setup most of the time. But for single PC recording, I use shadowplay instead of OBS. It still has issues with UWP games at times.Or just record the screen instead of the game.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found a fix for the ugly grass texture LOD : do NO force 16x AF in the drivers.

If the 16x AF is forced in the drivers, the game will weirdly totally ignore it and its own AF setting on the grass, resulting in a blurry texture.

You can still force AF globally in the driver but you have to add an exception on Forza Horizon 4 to "Application controlled".

I don't know if you need the game to recompile the shaders, but if so, just delete the game data from Windows' Apps management, no need to reinstall a driver. The game will then redownload the saves and recompile the shaders.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I

For me, I'm using a two PC setup most of the time. But for single PC recording, I use shadowplay instead of OBS. It still has issues with UWP games at times.Or just record the screen instead of the game.

Thanks, I actually never thought about screen capture was even possible but it was under different thing, guess everything should work now.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has the anisotropic filtering been fixed for the final PC release? Grass and other textures in the distance in the PC demo were atrocious even on the highest settings, worse than even the base XB1.
Make sure to view in full resolution.
untitledbufv4.png

wtf2edfr6.png

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So it has launched now in the UK. The sound devices bug is still there, can't launch the game with my external speakers enabled, meaning I have to use headphones. I was hoping this would have been fixed in the launch version.. quite disappointing.

Edit: found a USB adapter I can use to work around (the issue is speakers connected directly to the motherboard's sound I/O). Not great, but it'll do for now.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has the anisotropic filtering been fixed for the final PC release? Grass and other textures in the distance in the PC demo were atrocious even on the highest settings, worse than even the base XB1.
Check my post #30, in fact if you don't force 16x AF in the drivers, it's perfectly fine.

I tested this in the demo and the game (could launch it an hour ago).

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
untitledbufv4.png

wtf2edfr6.png
I have not played the game or demo, but just saw the Digital Foundry settings video and they mentioned a bug where, when you decrease the AF, it won't go up again when you try to go back to a higher setting. They recommended the Ultra AF setting for all PCs and never touchng it again.The performance difference was super minimal.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
So I have a really weird issue: playing on a ks8000. If I set 3840x2160, HDR doesnt work. If I set any other resolution, including 4096x2160, HDR works fine.

Jijidasu

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Is there any way to apply reshade to this game? As far as I know it was not possible in FH3 due to how the game is installed and hidden away in the dark anus of Windows 10.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Since I don't have a 4K display I've settled for 1080p with 8xMSAA 4x Transparency AA. Looks very nice and still locked 60 at max settings on a 1070.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017

Here's a shot of mine from the demo on PC.

44239263834_a327834f71_o.png

I have no problems with AF, or LODs. They are exactly as the X1X.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
So I have a really weird issue: playing on a ks8000. If I set 3840x2160, HDR doesnt work. If I set any other resolution, including 4096x2160, HDR works fine.
Does Windows activate HDR just fine? HDR works just fine for me on my KS9000, though I find it weird how the HDR brightness sliders require me to lower them down a bit to match the instructions (lower sliders until the logo disappears), but after running the benchmark, my screen flickers and the sliders revert back to defaults, which all of a sudden work well.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Lol hdr is so fucked for me. On restart it finally allowed HDR on my native res. Then during a cutscene the whole screen got insanely washed out and stayed like that until i restarted the game.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of mad that I bought the ultimate edition to play early yet the audio doesn't even fucking work.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Does Windows activate HDR just fine? HDR works just fine for me on my KS9000, though I find it weird how the HDR brightness sliders require me to lower them down a bit to match the instructions (lower sliders until the logo disappears), but after running the benchmark, my screen flickers and the sliders revert back to defaults, which all of a sudden work well.

Yeah, I have HDR on in windows. I checked Tomb Raider and it works perfectly fine there.
I did find a workaround I believe - setting my desktop to non native res (1080p) and now the game does HDR in 3840x2160 perfectly fine, without randomly going full washed out mode.
Weird.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
The digital foundry video is absolutely fantastic. So much information presented excellently

I need to find a way of getting my sim rig to do as close to 144hz as possible my i5 7400 is topping out at around 100 fps on the lowest settings using 16GB ram and a 1070 at 3840x1080.

I'm going to try the benchmark after work at lower resolution settings to see if it can do close to 144hz but its looking like I'm going to need to upgrade both cpu and gpu to achieve 144hz at ultra.