• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. Xbox version got borked somehow on my end so I tried it on PC and found that the audio doesn't work. No sound outside of cutscenes.

Really disappointed right now, can't properly play anywhere until the Xbox version fully redownloadeds for no reason.

On PC if you go into Open sound settings, click on device properties, select Enhancements tab, then uncheck "Disable all enhancements" if checked and put a check in "Low Frequency Protection and "Loudness Equalization" and reboot. It's essential to reboot and that's what solved it for me. This also the fix the devs tweeted out during the demo.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Oh god that bug is still in? Same thing happened to me. I had to switch from my on-board sound to a wireless headphone device in my windows sound settings to get it to not crash.

I had never had any other game crash when using on my on board chipset.

Lots of other people having this issue as well. Crazy it wasn't fixed for release.

First time hearing about this issue, it's a sound bug? I don't have wireless headphones :(

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
On PC if you go into Open sound settings, click on device properties, select Enhancements tab, then uncheck "Disable all enhancements" if checked and put a check in "Low Frequency Protection and "Loudness Equalization" and reboot. It's essential to reboot and that's what solved it for me. This also the fix the devs tweeted out during the demo.

Ah interesting. I'll try that in the demo on my pc and see if that stops the crashes.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Has PG acknowledged the AF issue yet? I never really noticed it in the demo but I really see it in some screenshots now.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Has anyone noticed a bunch of little white artifacts that only appear on the character models during cutscenes?

xMaximusx

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a strange issue i've never run into before with this game. I've got a G-Sync Dell monitor that's 144hz.
I noticed in the Forza Horizon 4 settings I have really odd FPS options. I can choose like 58 fps or 115, but no 60 or 144hz.
I also noticed that whenever I tried to record with either OBS or Shadowplay the videos were dropping frames like crazy, so I went into Nvidia Control panel & changed my refresh rate to 60hz. Started the game back up and now I have a 30fps option or 60. My videos are now perfect again when recording. I've never had this issue with any other type game. Does anyone know why I can't turn on 144hz refresh rate & have the game offer me the right options? This is all strange to me.

Latest drivers installed - happened on both demo & full game. Using 1080Ti

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
wr10QnM.jpg
SmartWaffles, will you be adding any benchmarks to the OP?

https://www.computerbase.de/2018-09/forza-horizon-4-test/

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Forza...za-Horizon-4-Technik-Test-Benchmarks-1265758/

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Played the demo again last night and the pop in is pretty bad with the grass drawing in a couple of feet in front of the car. Is this still the case in the release version?

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
I have a strange issue i've never run into before with this game. I've got a G-Sync Dell monitor that's 144hz.
I noticed in the Forza Horizon 4 settings I have really odd FPS options. I can choose like 58 fps or 115, but no 60 or 144hz.
I also noticed that whenever I tried to record with either OBS or Shadowplay the videos were dropping frames like crazy, so I went into Nvidia Control panel & changed my refresh rate to 60hz. Started the game back up and now I have a 30fps option or 60. My videos are now perfect again when recording. I've never had this issue with any other type game. Does anyone know why I can't turn on 144hz refresh rate & have the game offer me the right options? This is all strange to me.

Latest drivers installed - happened on both demo & full game. Using 1080Ti

Seems pretty weird. I have a 144 Hz display (non-Gsync), and I get 144, 72, 36fps as the frame options. It's gotta be detecting your display weird. The part that sucks is my 2nd display is actually larger, but only 60 Hz, and I can't cap the frames at 60.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Man I tried playing at 4K30 but it just feels like you're driving through mud 24/7 compared to 60.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. After how well the demo ran for me, I'm very dissapointed with the full game.

Hell, I thought that just once they would nail it. I tried the demo after having some headset crashing the game issues and it ran better than FH3 did even after the Hot Wheels patch, so I had hope.

Turn10 had memory leaks with Forza 7, I remember buying more memory just for that game (went from 16 to 32).

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
I'm honestly tired of this shit. This is what, third Forza game on PC in 3 years and still the same problems. If I hadn't snagged the Ultimate Edition for much cheaper than the regular price, I would be furious.

Let's hope some fixes will come sooner than later.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017

Thanks for the tip! Been playing on Xbox all day but I'll see if that works tomorrow morning.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
So I finally loaded the game up and I'm running into an incredibly bizarre issue. The game doesn't output sound nearly at all to my headphone amp/DAC, but what's weird is that it does output a little sound, such as the opening logos when you first start up the game, as well as the intro video when you start a new game, but actual gameplay? Completely quiet.

My amp/DAC is set as my default output device, not just on a system level, but also as the output device for Forza Horizon 4 itself. So I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do. Obviously it goes without saying, but without sound the game is sort of unplayable right now.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
So I finally loaded the game up and I'm running into an incredibly bizarre issue. The game doesn't output sound nearly at all to my headphone amp/DAC, but what's weird is that it does output a little sound, such as the opening logos when you first start up the game, as well as the intro video when you start a new game, but actual gameplay? Completely quiet.

My amp/DAC is set as my default output device, not just on a system level, but also as the output device for Forza Horizon 4 itself. So I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do. Obviously it goes without saying, but without sound the game is sort of unplayable right now.

It is a known issue and not that uncommon.

Current possible workarounds:

• Realtek HD audio manager cuts sound to the game if headphones are unplugged or plugged in during gameplay.
• Audio corruption when default playback is set to 24bit 44100Hz.
• Loss of audio and instability if removing or adding headphones during boot flow.
• "Disable all sound effects" in Sound Options > Speaker Properties > Spatial can cause the game to be silent or crash.
• Setting Spatial Sound Format to None can cause the game to be silent or crash.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since this game uses MSAA, does Nvidia's MFAA thing work on UWP games?
Yes, it works since forever in UWP games, it's a driver level feature.

I was playing at 4K on the TV. Switched to 1440/144/g-sync display and it went away...
I'm playing on a 1440p 144 Hz GSync screen :p
But it does not happen so often.

Wait, is this memory leak thing true?

Goddamnit.
Yep. After how well the demo ran for me, I'm very dissapointed with the full game.
I've read in the known issue that it can be caused by old graphic drivers, are they up to date ?
I played for 4 hours on PC last night and my 16 GB were never full, game was really stable and smooth despite having things in the background and even did some ALT-Tabbing.

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
It's actually VRAM for me. Game starts using about 3.5GB then climbs above 4GB (my card is rx 470 4GB) and start stuttering.

I saw usage around 4.6GB using amd driver OSD. Task manager however reports only around 3.5 GB VRAM usage so I don't even know anymore.

One more thing: in the benchmark my available video memory is shown as only 3.35GB and not 4.

Maybe reducing some texture settings would help. If only the LOD distance wouldn't be so short even on ultra.

Using the latest driver, 18.9.3

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
Broke down and bought ultimate edition last night.

Immediately hit with the audio bug this morning. Was getting no audio outside of cutscenes when using a USB dac or USB headphones. Did the "uncheck disable enhancements" fix and it didn't work initially, but after a restart it did.

Game is stunning. I just got my rtx 2080 in last night, hence the need to play fh4 right now and buy the ultimate edition lol.

On a 7700k, rtx 2080 and 16gb ddr4 I'm getting like 115fps with all settings totally maxed in a 1440p 144hz gsync display.

On my 4k HDR monitor, I get a locked 60fps at 4k and HDR if I use the "ultra" preset.

Much prefer to play it at 1440p 144hz gsync though.

Is everyone using fxaa in addition to msaa?

OP
OP
SmartWaffles

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Broke down and bought ultimate edition last night.

Immediately hit with the audio bug this morning. Was getting no audio outside of cutscenes when using a USB dac or USB headphones. Did the "uncheck disable enhancements" fix and it didn't work initially, but after a restart it did.

Game is stunning. I just got my rtx 2080 in last night, hence the need to play fh4 right now and buy the ultimate edition lol.

On a 7700k, rtx 2080 and 16gb ddr4 I'm getting like 115fps with all settings totally maxed in a 1440p 144hz gsync display.

On my 4k HDR monitor, I get a locked 60fps at 4k and HDR if I use the "ultra" preset.

Much prefer to play it at 1440p 144hz gsync though.

Is everyone using fxaa in addition to msaa?
With your hardware you can crank it to max with MSAA+MFAA+Transparency AA, disable FXAA in game.

Gambit61

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like I have the no sound bug when connecting my PC to my HDTV with HDMI. I tried turning on the loudness equalizer but it didn't work. The weird thing is that the sounds in the two intro videos are fine, then once the game loads there's no sound. I'll play around with it some more soon.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
SmartWaffles Can you add to OP -
Using 'Dolby Atmos for Headphones' causes the game to crash during the intro videos. Right-clicking the Sound icon on the taskbar and setting 'Spatial Sound' to 'Off' stops the crashing.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
It is a known issue and not that uncommon.

Current possible workarounds:

• Realtek HD audio manager cuts sound to the game if headphones are unplugged or plugged in during gameplay.
• Audio corruption when default playback is set to 24bit 44100Hz.
• Loss of audio and instability if removing or adding headphones during boot flow.
• "Disable all sound effects" in Sound Options > Speaker Properties > Spatial can cause the game to be silent or crash.
• Setting Spatial Sound Format to None can cause the game to be silent or crash.
Damn, how does something like that make it through to the final game? Seems like an insane oversight.

Anyway, thanks for the help! I'll take a look at these solutions and hopefully one sticks. Appreciate it.

EDIT: The "Disable all sound effects" tweak did it for me, thanks again!

Last edited:

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
I've noticed that once I've finished playing pretty much all the icons and pictures that would be shown in my Windows sidebar (the thing with the list of apps, the store etc) are missing and do not show up. They're there but not visible. Very odd.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
With the demo, if I started the game with RTSS on, it crashed. If I started it without RTSS, then opened RTSS afterward, it was fine.
For those of you with RTSS issues:
In RTSS go to SETUP and put 15000 for injection delay at the bottom.

This also fixes ubisoft overlay not working in r6:S/etc.
RTSS will delay start until after the game is running. I haven't had any problems.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Pro tip: to fix vegetation shimmering/aliasing force Transparency Antialiasing in Nvidia Control Panel for FH4 game profile. It's a bit demanding but if your hardware is good enough picture quality bump is totally worth it!
If I do this in the demo, HDR fails to activate. If I set it to off, then HDR works again. Is this still the case with the full game?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing that the audio bug is still in. Thought they'd have addressed that after it came up so often when the demo released. I'll have to hold out until that gets fixed, because none of the purported solutions worked for me :/

Super Rookie

Oct 25, 2017
London
Experiencing weird issue when playing for long sessions on PC, memory usage becomes high and them game becomes unstable and causes error streaming bandwidth issues.

They need to sort out the memory leak

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Is the memory leak only AMD or are Nvidia cards affected too? Don't have any issues on the demo on my 1070.

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
Yep, demo and full game are completely different beasts, unfortunately.

If we put aside LOD and AF issues, the demo ran flawlessly for me. The full game starts to stutter after few minutes and even got a crash to desktop like in FH3.