• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 4, 2018
  • Best Game of the Year 2021 : Forza Horizon 5
  • People's Choice Game of the Year 2021 : Halo Infinite
  • Best Console Exclusive of the Year 2021 : Forza Horizon 5
  • Best Action Game of the Year 2021 : Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Best Action-Adventure Game of the Year 2021 : Metroid Dread
  • Best Puzzle Game of the Year 2021 : Chicory a Colorful Tale
  • Best Racing Game of the Year 2021 : Forza Horizon 5
  • Best RPG of the Year 2021 : Tales of Arise
  • Best Shooter of the Year 2021 : Halo Infinite
  • Best Strategy Game of the Year : Inscryption
  • Most Accessible Game of the Year 2021 : Forza Horizon 5
  • Best Music in a Video Game of the Year 2021 : Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Best Ongoing Game of the Year : Final Fantasy XIV
  • Best Performance of the Year 2021 : Jason E. Kelley (Colt Vahn - Deathloop)
  • Best Story of the Year 2021 : Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Best Video Game Art of the Year 2021 : Deathloop

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021
Superb.

Best Xbox Game of the Year, which ironically had the best, most constantly rewarding progression system I've experienced in ages.

(Still loved you Halo).

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really wonder how much of the "racing games should belong in the GOTY conversation" discourse affected this decision.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Put some respect on Playgrounds name.

Well deserved recognition. Congrats to the team. They've done consistent great work

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Excellent game, had a ton of fun playing this, grats to the team

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
A game with more issues than all previous Forza games combined and many of them still unfixed. This includes FH3 which was a technical nightmare.

For me personally Cyberpunk 2077 was in much, much better shape after release than FH5.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Well deserved, I just can't stop playing this game. Now that they've ironed out the online bugs it's even better.

The game is just so beautiful and simply driving is pure joy.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
As much as I love this game and it's really an amazing offline racing game. It's such a mediocre online one and it's a shame.

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
Finally a publication gets it right. No shade to all the other great games XGS put out this year but Forza Horizon 5 was a cut above them. I went back to play FH4 on GamePass and 5 is better in every single way.

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
Superb.

Best Xbox Game of the Year, which ironically had the best, most constantly rewarding progression system I've experienced in ages.

(Still loved you Halo).

What progression? Saying this as someone who likes most of FH5, but after a few hours it feels like the game showers you with all the riches or rides you need for any base game or seasonal event. If anything it could use any semblance of effort->reward structure beyond a slot machine, 'show up and breathe' accolades, and the weekly hamster wheel of overly easy tasks (besides Trials, and the only difficulty there is if you get too many randos who have no clue how to take corners)

Last edited:

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fantastic game. I don't think it's my GOTY personally but it's definitely top 5, maybe top 3. Deserves all the accolades it gets.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Forza Horizon has been the best Xbox franchise pretty much since FH3. As for GOTY, it's mine, but personal taste varies, but best Xbox game for sure. Definitely glad Playground's getting some love.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Good game but not GoTY material. Didn't feel fresh or new enough to set it apart from the previous entry. And still brings all the annoyances with it too. I've already dropped it and done with it.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Eh if online would work at all I would agree. But there wasn't much competition this year.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Amazing. Finally they give respect to the scores the entire industry gave this game.

May 10, 2019
OptimalElaborateHoneybee-size_restricted.gif

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm...as a long time FH fan, I am happy the series is finally getting the recognition it deserves but I also kinda think 5 is one of the weaker entries in the series. Also, a whole portion of the game barely functions.

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
Driving cars rewarded you.
Collecting cars rewarded you.
Leveling up rewarded you.
Completing/winning races rewarded you.
Completing one of the games 1000+ accolades rewarded you.
Driving FAST rewarded you.
Completing challenges rewarded you.
Doing stunts rewarded you.

I said progression system, you said progression system, I'm just seeing nondescript "reward" for doing literally anything, which again boils down to XP for slot machine and occasionally a vehicle from accolades or seasonal stuff. If this is a 'system' I think we're just gonna have to disagree on the term in any meaningful sense.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Yay for all the GOTG love, buy that game!

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
A game with more issues than all previous Forza games combined and many of them still unfixed. This includes FH3 which was a technical nightmare.

For me personally Cyberpunk 2077 was in much, much better shape after release than FH5.
The people on this site that compare games that ship 99% ready to one of the most historically broken launches in gaming history are trolling in my opinion. There's no effort whatsoever to glean a meaningful discussion when these types of comparisons are made.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
That's really cool, I think this is the first GOTY for a racing game? At least by a major publication.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Can't say I agree. I love the game and play it daily. However, it has far too many issues. The seasonal events, FH5 end-game barley functions.
I'm tired of being screwed out of 100% because I play the game and completed a challenge ahead of time. I wish they handed out awards in high school for incomplete work.

Hzoltan969

Oct 26, 2017
Driving cars rewarded you.
Collecting cars rewarded you.
Leveling up rewarded you.
Completing/winning races rewarded you.
Completing one of the games 1000+ accolades rewarded you.
Driving FAST rewarded you.
Completing challenges rewarded you.
Doing stunts rewarded you.

Lol, showering you with rewards is anything but progression.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Great game. Tied with Returnal for my GOTY (although I'd put Disco Elysium FC above both if it "counted" lol)