• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

(Click for general game info.)

🖥️ System requirements:
forzahorizon5sysreqswajtu.jpg

(See this page for more detailed information.)

🧰 Latest drivers: (as at 24/02/2022)
AMD: 22.2.2
Nvidia: 511.79

📊 Benchmarks:
ComputerBase (German; launch build)
DSOGaming (English; launch build)
GameGPU (Russian; review build)
Guru3D (English; 03/12/2021 build)
KitGuru (English; lauch build)
PC Games Hardware (German; review build)

📊 Performance guides:
Digital Foundry (English; review build)
Game Debate (English; launch build)
Overclock3D (English; launch build)
Rock Paper Shotgun (English; review build)

🎩 Tips and tricks:
List of known issues: See this support article. (Credit to Playground Games itself via Linus815.)
Cap the frame rate/potentially improve frame times: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server (if you use MSI Afterburner, then you already have it installed), input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit Enter . Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU can either cap the frame rate at the driver level via the Nvidia Control Panel (requires the 441.87+ drivers) or use Nvidia Inspector to force a vsync internal lower than one-half (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frame times. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower frame rate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Improve anti-aliasing (1): Enable transparency anti-aliasing in your GPU driver control panel at a value equal to your in-game MSAA setting and ensure anti-aliasing mode is set to "Enhance the application setting" or the AMD equivalent. (Credit to leng jai and vitormg.)
Improve anti-aliasing (2; for those with an Nvidia GPU): Open the Nvidia driver control panel and enable multi-frame sampled anti-aliasing. (Credit to Terbinator.)
Note: May result in visual artefacts on certain textures.
Fix sporadic instances of low-res textures when texture quality is set to Ultra: Either reduce the setting to High or increase it to Extreme. (Credit to AdeptRoboto.)
Fix anisotropic filtering not being applied: Enable the setting via your GPU driver control panel. (Credit to Oopy Doopy.)
Mitigate instability: Run the game as an administrator. (Credit to Neon Octopus.)
Mitigate stuttering (1; offline): Disable online functionality by switching to Horizon Solo mode. (Credit to Thswweet.)
Mitigate stuttering (2; online): Navigate to Settings -> HUD and Gameplay and disable player-designed cars and drivatars. (Credit to FantasticLemon @ Forza Motorsport Forums via daxmedflax.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to tag my username (@GrrImAFridge), as this way I'll receive a notification. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

⚙️ Graphics settings:

Brightness: Self-explanatory
HDR: Off/On(?)
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Frame rate: 1/4 refresh rate; 1/2 refresh rate; Unlocked
Resolution scaling: Off; Ultra Quality; Quality; Balanced; Performance
Vsync: Off/On
Fullscreen: Off/On
Show FPS: Off/On
Motion blur: Short/Long
User interface scale: 66% -> 100% in increments of 1%
Chase cam FoV: 44° -> 65° in increments of 1°
Far chase cam FoV: 44° -> 65° in increments of 1°
Driver cam FoV: 40° -> 55° in increments of 1°
Dashboard cam FoV: 44° -> 65° in increments of 1°
Hood cam FoV: 40° -> 70° in increments of 1°
Bumper cam FoV: 40° -> 70° in increments of 1°

Preset: Very Low; Low; Medium; High; Ultra; Extreme; Custom
Anisotropic filtering: Low; Medium; High
Shadow quality: Off; Low; High; Ultra; Extreme
Night shadows: Off/On
Motion blur quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Environment texture quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra; Extreme
Environment geometry quality: Very Low; Low; Medium; High; Ultra; Extreme
MSAA: Off; 2x; 4x; 8x
FXAA: Off/On
SSAO quality: Off; High; Ultra
Reflection quality: Very Low; Low; Medium; High; Ultra; Extreme
World car level of detail: Low; Medium; High; Ultra; Extreme

Deformable terrain quality: Off; Medium; High; Ultra; Extreme
SSR quality: Off; Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Lens effects: Off; Medium; High; Ultra
Shader quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra; Extreme
Particle effects quality: Very Low; Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Ray tracing quality: Off; Medium; High

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Kiribati works, and the benchmark is perfectly locked at maxed out 4K/60 in my 8700k-3080.

I'm going to have a blast

Last edited:

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I averaged 93FPS - max settings, 8xMSAA and 1440p.

3080TI FE
5800X
3000MHZ RAM.

Lowest score was on the CPU render followed by GPU

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
3700X
16GB DDR4 3200C16
3070 .900V undervolt @ 1890MHz

At Ultra (below the highest) averages 80-100 fps everywhere. Game is incredibly well optimized and stable. CPU usage is very, very high so keep that in mind.
I averaged 93FPS - max settings, 8xMSAA and 1440p.

3080TI FE
5800X
3000MHZ RAM.

Lowest score was on the CPU render followed by GPU
Man you are leaving some CPU related performance on the table with that RAM.

Dec 24, 2018
game launches but it's stuck, doesn't go any further. i assumed it's drivers but still same any help?

edit: it turns out unlocked framerate was to blame. just limit it with rivatuner or from control panel then use v-sync from the game then remove the limit.

Last edited:

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I always wonder if going to Windows Security Settings, Exploit protection and adding the app to customize and turn off the first 16 categories (Up until Validate API ) would better performance. Its the old Final Fantasy 15 stutter fixer.

I mention this cause FH4 on PC launch was stuttery as fuck.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
3700X
16GB DDR4 3200C16
3070 .900V undervolt @ 1890MHz

At Ultra (below the highest) averages 80-100 fps everywhere. Game is incredibly well optimized and stable. CPU usage is very, very high so keep that in mind.
this puts me at ease for m 3700x + 2080super (32GB 3200mhz ram). I should be good with a mix of ultra and high settings at 1440p?

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah aliasing is my only complaint with the visuals so far. Gotta do more testing

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Ah shit, makes me worried for my 6700k. It has double the threads, at least, but I guess we'll see.

Thank god for Steam's refund policy, but it would be nice if it worked.

there's several games that cant maintain stable 60 fps with 4c4t, even as far back as 2016, like battlefield 1 and watch dogs 2.

4c8t aged much better, i reckon consistent 60 fps will be doable with it in fh5

Kiru

Oct 25, 2017
Had to use 4x MSAA with 1440p in FH4 and it still had visible aliasing on road marks etc. Anything higher would have tanked my framerate...

Oct 29, 2017
70-90fps on a 3090 and a i7-9700 at 4K all settings at highest with 2xmsaa no fxaa. Benchmark gives 80fps. I'm pretty satisfied leaving it like this and letting gsync take care of the rest

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
My wheel has a 1080p monitor attached so I expect to play at high framerates maxed.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Reading its thread-hungry makes me excited, as I have a 5900x and haven't used many games that really took advantage of it. I may pull the trigger on the early access bundle based on these results people are getting above. No stuttering I guess either? So nice.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I guess if I have a 9600k and a 1080Ti then I'm better off playing this on my SX? That's a shame, the performance mode seems to have really bad pop-in.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Tried it on a 5950x & RTX 3080 - maxed out all settings, 4x MSAA, 4k - got 70fps in the benchmark, then set the resolution scaling to Ultra Quality and got 80fps. I think I'll go with the resolution scaling as it looked good to me.

The benchmark reported 0 stutters and it looked super smooth and consistent throughout my multiple runs. Pretty happy with it.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Would be curious to know how this runs on a 5600 / 3060ti at 1440p - I'd be fine with tuning down a few settings to hit 60fps. Is there DLSS?

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
I'm targetting 4k/120. Hoping my 6800xt will be up to the task, RDNA2 tends to crush in Forza.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like in-game video settings do not have Transparency AA option, but just like previous Forza games you can probably force it in Nvidia Control Panel. This is ofcourse demanding, but if you have good GPU it will make game look amazing because all foliage and trees will have anti-aliasing as well.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Would be curious to know how this runs on a 5600 / 3060ti at 1440p - I'd be fine with tuning down a few settings to hit 60fps. Is there DLSS?
Completely not an issue. You are probably looking at well over 100 fps in actual game (not benchmark) with ultra (1 step lower than max) setting.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Looks like in-game video settings do not have Transparency AA option, but just like previous Forza games you can probably force it in Nvidia Control Panel. This is ofcourse demanding, but if you have good GPU it will make game look amazing because all foliage and trees will have anti-aliasing as well.
I tried that out - did not seem to work when I did. Visually, that is. It ate performance for sure.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried that out - did not seem to work when I did. Visually, that is. It ate performance for sure.
That's odd, it should be working if it ate performance. Did you have MSAA on (it's required for Transparency AA to work)? My game isn't unlocked yet but this trick worked in every previous Forza game so it would be weird if it stopped working now.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Pro tip from FH4 that might work here - turn on transparency AA in your driver settings and it cleans up foliage aliasing really well.
This is great advice. After testing them, the lightest seems the nicest. "Multisample" in transparency AA (Nvidia panel) + 4xMSAA in game is what I'm using.

Last edited:

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I had to enable the option "Antialiasing mode - Enhance app configuration" to make it work. I guess this option allows us to have both ingame AA and the Nvidia panel AA (rough translation from my panel in Portuguese, don't know if it's like that in English)

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to watch the Digital Foundry video for this game

Seems like it's pretty well optimized so far