• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

Well I know it's not really appreciated to just post a video and call it a day for OP. But I don't think there is a lot to say in this case.

realricochet

Apr 30, 2019
Mexico
c8314f730097ce512b6fb4f4b0e4f36a.gif

Playground Games are wizards.

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
Some of those game shots look better than the real life shot due to the image quality. Absolutely insane.

SnowHawk

Oct 28, 2017
England
The game looks amazing, that's for sure but I don't know, compared to real life it's just missing something. I don't how to describe it but it's like it's missing life and I guess no game can capture that no matter how amazing it looks.

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
Incredible, I like how Playground Games make some roads wider in order to make it playable/accessible. Imagine how frustrating it can be if you try to cramp couple of cars in narrow roads during racing session lol.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Never played the games and probably would if I had an Xbox.
From what I can understand its a fictional Mexico with some landmarks or famous buildings.

I'm sorry in advance, this is going to sound really fucking negative lol.

When I read Vs real life in the title I was coming in expecting perfect recreations and because of that I see all the imperfections in the modelling in the surrounding areas. My own fault really.
A lot of it is off and I think it's because the surrounding areas look nothing like the real life with a lot of same building making up the streets. The objects themselves look fine but nothing mind blowing.

The best part is how clean everything looks and it probably looks fantastic if your playing it on your own TV/monitor at 4k or whatever the native Res is.
I do like that they have gone with the based upon a place because you can get away with making these places playable, especially as a racer.
The colours and feel mostly seem on point too.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
For the longest time it was standard for racing games to have enviromental detail that's well below other genres. Like, even in Forza Horizon 2, the cars looked amazing but the enviroments were sparsely detailed and they most certainly didn't stand up to scruity when observed from up close.

With Horizon 4, I was blown away at the massive step up PG made in this regard. The vegetation looks like it could belong in an action adventure open world game. The buildings are beautifully detailed and even have faux-interiors!

And FH5 is an even further step forward. Like, the enviroments, legitimately can challenge heavy hitters like RDR 2. Despite usually moving at 120+mph .

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
The statue looks severely downgraded. Pretty disappointed at Playground, smh.

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The game looks amazing, that's for sure but I don't know, compared to real life it's just missing something. I don't how to describe it but it's like it's missing life and I guess no game can capture that no matter how amazing it looks.
I agree. We are getting closer to games looking real, but we aren't there yet and I'd say PS5/Series X won't be able to get there. PS6-7 maybe.
When I read Vs real life in the title I was coming in expecting perfect recreations
Are you referring to the buildings or the roads? The latter isn't real by design, because having so narrow streets wouldn't be fun to race around. FH is trying to capture the feel of whatever country the setting is in. Talking to locals, government and traveling there to capture the feel, making sure the game respect the culture and more. But it's not a Google map/bing 1:1 representation by design.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Never played the games and probably would if I had an Xbox.
From what I can understand its a fictional Mexico with some landmarks or famous buildings.

I'm sorry in advance, this is going to sound really fucking negative lol.

When I read Vs real life in the title I was coming in expecting perfect recreations and because of that I see all the imperfections in the modelling in the surrounding areas. My own fault really.
A lot of it is off and I think it's because the surrounding areas look nothing like the real life with a lot of same building making up the streets. The objects themselves look fine but nothing mind blowing.

FH series typically doesn't try to recreate 1:1 locations (like PGR did for example), instead it captures the essence of a whole region by mashing up landmarks and shrinking down biomes to fit a map that's several thousand times smaller than the real thing.
I'd say they were very successful, yeah the modeling isn't always 100% accurate and individual assets are not Unreal Engine 5 - mind blowing (except those rock formations. Man those are incredible !) but are quite phenomenal for an open world racing game

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. We are getting closer to games looking real, but we aren't there yet and I'd say PS5/Series X won't be able to get there. PS6-7 maybe.

Are you referring to the buildings or the roads? The latter isn't real by design, because having so narrow streets wouldn't be fun to race around. FH is trying to capture the feel of whatever country the setting is in. Talking to locals, government and traveling there to capture the feel, making sure the game respect the culture and more. But it's not a Google map/bing 1:1 representation by design.

The main buildings and landmarks highlighted in the video. I get that they are using creative license for the surrounding areas and it makes perfect for a racing game.

Its little things like the lake at Nevado de Tulca being the wrong shape and the area around it not looking as accurate as I thought it would based on Vs realty aspect of the video.

Its picky, I know this, but I'd of thought an open area like that would of been more accurate because you can see some fun little roads on the real life version that would of made for some cool little moments. I guess with open world you can just ignore roads but it's the sort of road I'd love to just rally my way along for a couple of miles.

FH series typically doesn't try to recreate 1:1 locations (like PGR did for example), instead it captures the essence of a whole region by mashing up landmarks and shrinking down biomes to fit a map that's several thousand times smaller than the real thing.
I'd say they were very successful, yeah the modeling isn't always 100% accurate and individual assets are not Unreal Engine 5 - mind blowing (except those rock formations. Man those are incredible !) but are quite phenomenal for an open world racing game

Exactly. They have been successful at what they've gone for and that's why the series is probably the best and most consistent of any MS IP over the past decade. They deserve all the plaudits and I'd personally put Playground at the top of their dev teams without even needing to have played on of their games. Its the whole I've played games for 30 years thing and you just know they are a top team.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I mean differently in fedelity is obviously still very large, but the representation is great and easily recognizable. Also, the engine isn't quite achieving nanite equivalent results yet, even while overall geometry is definitely a step up from last gen.

Mar 23, 2018
I can only wait for Fable's visuals. I want that "getting lost in a forest" vibe from it. Fangorn density levels with huge detail. Seems like it'll be possible with this gen's machines.

papusman

Sep 25, 2019
Great job comparing the scenes, but why did they choose such somber music?? Felt like I was watching a scene where the main character just watched all their friends die.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely incredible.

Previously games were at their best in rainy weather with a lot of grey and reflections.

Here it's broad day light, very colorful yet looks so lifelike.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Good background music choice. Great video and shows a ton of work and love has gone into the modelling.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I was watching this on my phone and I had to double check which one was real at times.

Pretty incredible.