• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

On September 15, 2021, Forza Motorsport 7 will reach End of Life status. This means that the game and its DLC will no longer be available to purchase in the Microsoft Store or available with Xbox Game Pass.

However, after September 15, players who already own Forza Motorsport 7 will still be able to download and play the game and its associated content as normal. In addition, features like multiplayer and online services will still be accessible for those who own the game

You will receive a token for the game through the Xbox Message Center so that you can continue playing Forza Motorsport 7. Token distribution will be through August 2. However, if after that date you have not received your token, please contact Xbox Support here. (Unused tokens will expire on September 15, 2023.)

Important update for the token system: (thanks neoak !)

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Does this mean that there will be no Forza Motorsport game available for sale at all? Wild.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. Surprised that they're delisting it before the next one is out. I think that's a first for the series.

Is the implication that anyone (even in ie a one month Game Pass subscription) that buy a cheap DLC will also get the token?

I much prefer the Horizon games, and don't have game pass, but if this is a cheap digital copy I might give 7 a try.

Edit: oh the base game is 75% off anyway. Hmm.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
So I need to download it at least one time on Game Pass to continue download in future or Game Pass user won't be able to download it anyway?

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
EOL 4 years after release, like the previous Forza titles.
Yes, same timeframe. I guess the big news is how they are dealing with Gamepass for this game. If someone bought a DLC, she/he can continue playing with the token. That's a nice solution, considering legally they can't sell or rent the game anymore due to licensing.

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France
As expected.

Wow, does that mean there will be no Forza Motorsport available to purchase digitally after September 15?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy that no Motorsport game will be available to buy after that date. Well, only Horizon 4 and 5 later this year.

Car licenses are a bitch! I wonder if someone's working on a new type of deal to prevent these things.

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
So I need to download it at least one time on Game Pass to continue download in future or Game Pass user won't be able to download it anyway?
A bit more difficult than that due to licensing. If you played the game via GP and DIDN'T buy a DLC, you won't get a token and therefore no chance to continue playing. But if you bought a DLC, you just need to active the token before 2023 to play the game forever.
Car licenses are a bitch! I wonder if someone's working on a new type of deal to prevent these things
If we assume the manufacturer doesn't stick to the limited timeframe for other weird reasons, then money should do the trick. Just pay more, which obviously won't happen.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
how legally allowed car racing games would be if they made fictional names for the cars and like, made small changes on the visuals?

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
What?

Why would they do this? What if I want to buy or play F7 after finally playing a Forza with FH5.. planning to get a series X later this fall or winter.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
What?

Why would they do this? What if I want to buy or play F7 after finally playing a Forza with FH5.. planning to get a series X later this fall or winter.
Car licenses expire and the game is not allowed to be sold anymore without spending money on relicensing. It's a classic thing on car games.

If you really want to play it, better buy it now, even if you don't have the console.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's time publishers and developers start fighting for better deals on this stuff there's no reason car licenses should be time limited. This seems to never be an issue for movies

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Just buy FM7 if you're interested in playing it later. That's how it goes with these racers and licensing.

I have no interest in it, but will check out FM 2022 whenever that comes around

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
how legally allowed car racing games would be if they made fictional names for the cars and like, made small changes on the visuals?
It's legal, and other games used to that all the time.

But that goes completely against the spirit of Forza in particular. It's a car enthusiast dream, not "fake car enthustiast".

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's time publishers and developers start fighting for better deals on this stuff there's no reason car licenses should be time limited. This seems to never be an issue for movies

Name the last movie with hundreds of car licenses which all have a cost. Its very different.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Sounds like you'll need to buy a piece of DLC then they'll send you a token?
Huh, I need to get the details on this. I dont think I played Motorsport but I was interested in trying it out.

Gone from Game Pass too?

what is the cheapest dlc?
Yeah, time for me to find this out too, lol.

It's crazy that no Motorsport game will be available to buy after that date. Well, only Horizon 4 and 5 later this year.

Car licenses are a bitch! I wonder if someone's working on a new type of deal to prevent these things.

A bit more difficult than that due to licensing. If you played the game via GP and DIDN'T buy a DLC, you won't get a token and therefore no chance to continue playing. But if you bought a DLC, you just need to active the token before 2023 to play the game forever.

If we assume the manufacturer doesn't stick to the limited timeframe for other weird reasons, then money should do the trick. Just pay more, which obviously won't happen.

Car licenses expire and the game is not allowed to be sold anymore without spending money on relicensing. It's a classic thing on car games.

If you really want to play it, better buy it now, even if you don't have the console.

Car license expire soon and then developers can't sell the game anymore digitally and aren't allowed to produce new retail copies.
Well this sucks. Guess thats the risk for realism...

I just realized...Need for Speed games dont have this problem? Or is it about not wanting to pay the money....

CyrisTM

Oct 25, 2017
I wish this came on Steam along with horizon 4. I guess it won't come now with that announcement.

Looking at Microsoft store the ultimate edition is on sale for 20 euros, but i'm not sure if it includes all DLC

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized...Need for Speed games dont have this problem? Or is it about not wanting to pay the money....
They have this problem, but they must pay for longer licenses. At any case, no game prior NFS Rivals is on sale.

They also don't get even close to the amount of cars Forza games have, which is an absurd amount.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does this mean that there will be no Forza Motorsport game available for sale at all? Wild.
On digital stores, nope, just Horizon 4 & 5 (until the new Motorsport game which I presume will be next year).

On the DLC front, the Ultimate Edition includes all of the paid DLC, but there's also a bunch of free car packs to grab.

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Which movie has 700 cars in it? Apples and orange comparison really. Additionally not every deal is the same. If someone puts cars in Fast and Furious they'll do so to advertise their car. Sometimes, even in games, the manufacturer actually asks the developers to implement a car. Thus I could see those cars being not time limited deals. But most of the time manufacturer ask for money for those deals and the longer the timeframe, the more money needs to be spend.

I obviously don't have any details, but I have a hard time believing that the movie producers pay even a cent for the next 007 "hero car". I'd imagine in this case the manufacturer pays or they agree on a free deal, considering the marketing potential for the manufacturer. All depends on leverage as always.

Older games were part of GwG before delisting

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if it'll be a Games with Gold game for September. They did that for the last 2 (maybe 3) Forza games that got delisted.

Oh, it looks like when it happened before it was a Games with Gold game the month before it was delisted, not the month of.

Forza Motorsport 5 GwG - SEPT 2017; Delisted - OCT 2017
Forza Horizon 2 GwG - AUG 2018; Delisted - SEPT 2018
Forza Motorsport 6 GwG - AUG 2019; Delisted - SEPT 2019

edit: It was pointed out after my post that Forza Horizon 3 did not go Games with Gold before it was delisted. I forgot it got delisted last year.

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I obviously don't have any details, but I have a hard time believing that the movie producers pay even a cent for the next 007 "hero car". I'd imagine in this case the manufacturer pays or they agree on a free deal, considering the marketing potential for the manufacturer. All depends on leverage as always.
Off-topic, but in particular, all 007 cars are paid by the car manufacturer. BMW paid a fortune to be the Brosnan car manufacturer. It's one of the best marketing campaigns you can have.

In general, most movies have deals with X car brand, and even if you don't notice most cars you would see in the movie would be from that brand, or their child ones. Like I said, it's good marketing for them, unless the car gets wrecked lol