• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Sheesh... I dropped my AL-Star twice yesterday. The second time, it just rolled off my desk and apparently landed on the nib end, because when I retrieved it, the nib was curled up like a talon. Good thing I was using that pen instead of something more expensive. Lamy nibs are so easy to replace and I already have a spare, so no real harm done!

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Sheesh... I dropped my AL-Star twice yesterday. The second time, it just rolled off my desk and apparently landed on the nib end, because when I retrieved it, the nib was curled up like a talon. Good thing I was using that pen instead of something more expensive. Lamy nibs are so easy to replace and I already have a spare, so no real harm done!

Crisis averted! I wish the feeds were so easy to remove though as that would really help with rinsing/cleaning between different coloured inks. I know it's possible because I've done it but they are just so stiff. Oh well, I still love my Safari and Vista. I've been rocking 1.5 and 1.1 nibs with those recently and really enjoy how they make my handwriting look more attractive than it actually is!

Oct 27, 2017
Crisis averted! I wish the feeds were so easy to remove though as that would really help with rinsing/cleaning between different coloured inks. I know it's possible because I've done it but they are just so stiff. Oh well, I still love my Safari and Vista. I've been rocking 1.5 and 1.1 nibs with those recently and really enjoy how they make my handwriting look more attractive than it actually is!

It would definitely be nice to be able to take the feed out more easily for the sake of fast and easy cleaning. I see there's a new Herbin sparkly ink - but I'm so over inks with particles in general. I'm lazy about cleaning. I think I'd only ever use them in the Ahab, since it comes apart really quickly.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
It would definitely be nice to be able to take the feed out more easily for the sake of fast and easy cleaning. I see there's a new Herbin sparkly ink - but I'm so over inks with particles in general. I'm lazy about cleaning. I think I'd only ever use them in the Ahab, since it comes apart really quickly.

That's Noodler's isn't it? I am yet to try one of their pens or a flex nib pen. I should really scratch that itch sometime.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I haven't bought too many pens or inks lately but I did pick up a Platinum President. It's not a super exciting design lookswise, but it writes like a dream and it's probably the cheapest proper flagship pen that you can buy. I'm still a bit bummed that the cap isn't as amazing as the one on the 3776, but it's still pretty good.

I also splurged on a Pilot Custom 912 with a Waverly nib. I can't wait to see how Asian characters write with that pen!

That's Noodler's isn't it? I am yet to try one of their pens or a flex nib pen. I should really scratch that itch sometime.
Noodler's pens are generally much better on paper than they are in real life. The problem is that they're made in India and the quality control is sometimes very shoddy. If you're lucky, you'll get a really good writer, but if you're not so lucky, you'll get a bad nib and a pen that stinks (literally). If you really want one, then I'd suggest you stay away from the Neponset. I've heard nothing but bad news about that one.

The Pilot Falcon would make for a better first flex nib; unfortunately Europeans have to pay through the nose for that one.

Oct 27, 2017
I am ambivalent about the Ahab and would sum up my feelings towards it with 'meh'. There just aren't many budget flex fps out there. It smelled like ass and coconuts for a full year and a half, emphasis on ass. The one I got is a smooth writer, but it's not a pen I'd choose over others in most conditions. It has its uses (cheap flex option, can be disassembled easily, huge ink capacity). I like my Dilli better as an India-made flex pen - it has a finer line and thus better variation. But the pen itself looks cheaper, and I don't want to disassemble it once I tweaked it to the right amount of flow for the flexing I do.

I would still pick dip pens over both if I'm at home. The dip nibs are more flexible and results are much more attractive. I find flex fps are so stiff I'll get a hand cramp pretty quick. As for the falcon, I feel anxious leaning on it for the amount of line variation I prefer. I think that nib is more of a semi flex, personally, and I wouldn't push it too hard simply because of what I paid for it.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Thank you both for your thoughts. I am moving soon and will have to down-size quite considerably. Fortunately pens don't take up too much space! However, I really need to get rid of a lot of stuff rather than add more to it all. A flex nib can sit right on the back burner for now. If I do anything I will get a flex nib and put it on a Jinhao which I don't use anyway. That's a cheap and easy way to try out a flex nib and won't smell like ass!

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It smelled like ass and coconuts for a full year and a half, emphasis on ass.

I have a clear Noodler's flex pen, don't even remember the model, and it really smelled like ass for 2-3 years. I just never could use it. Also the cap sucks and ink would dry out. One of the worst purchases in FPs I ever made.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit the Earthbound cover with the clay figurines is amazing. I don't know if I want to go back to the smaller Hobonichi though... choices choices...

Oct 27, 2017
That earthbound cover is beautiful...

I wish I could justify another year's hobonichi purchase. It's such a nice journal, but I'm never able to do it consistently. It's so sad to see it with months' worth of blank pages.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I like the blue sneaker Mega Weeks, Pastel Stripes, "I forgot when it was, but we sure had fun", and the A5 Pieces Mina covers. I also like the Five Year Diary set.

I don't know what I want to do this year. I didn't use the Cousin to its full potential. August->November are intensively planned so I need a good/big monthly calendar especially for those months. I liked being able to plan meals and life in the same planner, but the daily pages felt wasted. I did the Weeks+Original combo in '17, maybe I'll do that again or move away from Hobonichi and try the Traveler's Notebook. At least I have a few months to figure it out.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
I kind of like the petit fleur cover for the cousin but the rest don't do much for me. I think I might actually go with just the book this year and reuse my cover.
Maybe...

Last edited:

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
As a result of a D&D campaign, of all things, I've really wanted to get back into creative writing. My normal printing is pretty awful, but my script is substantially better. So I bought a notebook to write about our adventures in character and this process has prompted me to want to wrap my head around fountain pens. Skimming this thread I see the Pilot Metro series mentioned a lot. Is it safe to assume that's still a good buy for someone experimenting with this type of pen? Any like...videos or guides or something for proper care of this stuff? What am I getting myself into here exactly?

Thanks for any help.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
As a result of a D&D campaign, of all things, I've really wanted to get back into creative writing. My normal printing is pretty awful, but my script is substantially better. So I bought a notebook to write about our adventures in character and this process has prompted me to want to wrap my head around fountain pens. Skimming this thread I see the Pilot Metro series mentioned a lot. Is it safe to assume that's still a good buy for someone experimenting with this type of pen? Any like...videos or guides or something for proper care of this stuff? What am I getting myself into here exactly?

Thanks for any help.

Jetpens and Goulet Pens on YouTube have a lot of great guides. Both are stores that sell FP stuff too. :)

Oct 25, 2017
Hey y'all just wanted to say that my TWSBI Eco with a 1,1mm nib is a bit too good and I'd recommend that pen for everyone. A friend has been having a lot of issues with his Diamond 580 which feels kind of absurd when my significantly cheaper Eco writes perfectly on the lightest contact with paper. Been trying to adjust the nib on his pen the past week but the tines are just pressed too tight together and no amount of brass sheet flossing or pushing the tines apart by applying pressure seems to make any progress. It's a bit hard to see even with a loupe but my initial conclusion is that the tines are spread apart on the top of the nib but are too tight at the bottom. This results in the pen writing perfectly upside down (it's a 1,5mm stub so it still writes at least as thick as my Eco, lol) but having an incredibly hard time starting when turned the right way.

I doubt I can do much more to fix it, but man has this been the weirdest thing to struggle with. The steel just feels a bit too stiff for any significant adjustments to "take" and I don't feel comfortable applying any more force than I already have. Has anyone managed to fix this type of issue and, if so, how did you do it?

Also want to shout out my favorite inks; Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-peki and J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor. Those tone shifts in both of them are amazing, especially on Tomoe River paper. Usually bleeds through before being noticeable on others but on the Tomoe stuff? The latter looks like a lit up carneval with just regular cursive writing. It's hilarious and super pretty.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
What are the must-visit pen shops in Tokyo? I haven't felt very compelled to shop because I'm so utterly satisfied with my Platinum 3776, but I figure I'd be remiss not buying *something* while I'm here.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I think that I've bought all that pens I'm interested in. That last pen was a Pilot Custom 912 with a Waverly nib. It writes awesome, and looks like a a broad point using my normal grip. When held at a steeper angle, the line is thinner - the idea being that you can vary the angle and have a variable width line like you'd have with a brush pen. The effect is cool, but requires a ton of practice to pull off. It's too bad that Pilot doesn't offer this nib on cheaper pens because it'd be neat for more people to try out, and the Custom 912 are very expensive. The only other Pilot pen that offers the WA nib is a Custom 742, and that pen is just as pricey.

Hey y'all just wanted to say that my TWSBI Eco with a 1,1mm nib is a bit too good and I'd recommend that pen for everyone. A friend has been having a lot of issues with his Diamond 580 which feels kind of absurd when my significantly cheaper Eco writes perfectly on the lightest contact with paper. Been trying to adjust the nib on his pen the past week but the tines are just pressed too tight together and no amount of brass sheet flossing or pushing the tines apart by applying pressure seems to make any progress. It's a bit hard to see even with a loupe but my initial conclusion is that the tines are spread apart on the top of the nib but are too tight at the bottom. This results in the pen writing perfectly upside down (it's a 1,5mm stub so it still writes at least as thick as my Eco, lol) but having an incredibly hard time starting when turned the right way.

I doubt I can do much more to fix it, but man has this been the weirdest thing to struggle with. The steel just feels a bit too stiff for any significant adjustments to "take" and I don't feel comfortable applying any more force than I already have. Has anyone managed to fix this type of issue and, if so, how did you do it?
I've never done it myself, but I've heard of people doing it by just using more force. If that's not your style, you can always contact TWSBI to see if they would cover the repair under warranty. They used to be good about this, but I've heard that their customer service has deteriorated.

On the note, I think that the Eco is just outright better than the 580 (and the Vac 700R for that matter). It's the newer pen and TWSBI has never addressed the production issues with their older pens. This mostly hast to do with the body of the pen, and the nibs are made by Jowo, so your friend may be just unlucky.

Also want to shout out my favorite inks; Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-peki and J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor. Those tone shifts in both of them are amazing, especially on Tomoe River paper. Usually bleeds through before being noticeable on others but on the Tomoe stuff? The latter looks like a lit up carneval with just regular cursive writing. It's hilarious and super pretty.
My favorite is easily 4B - it has a beautiful color that's business-like enough to use in almost all situations, and it has the most beautiful sheen. It's just too bad that it's so hard to find, and so expensive when you can get it. For saner inks, I like Yama-Budo, Sherwood Green, and Aurora Black.

What are the must-visit pen shops in Tokyo? I haven't felt very compelled to shop because I'm so utterly satisfied with my Platinum 3776, but I figure I'd be remiss not buying *something* while I'm here.
My go-to would be Bungubox. Even if you're not interested in their exclusive pens, they have an exclusive line of inks made by Sailor. This line has a ton of really cool inks that include the aforementioned 4B. You can see some of the other ones sampled here: https://imgur.com/a/4RSO6. Note that these inks usually cost $45 USD online.

Do check their website before you go because they're not open every day: http://bung-box.com/user_data/store.php

Oct 25, 2017
I think that I've bought all that pens I'm interested in. That last pen was a Pilot Custom 912 with a Waverly nib. It writes awesome, and looks like a a broad point using my normal grip. When held at a steeper angle, the line is thinner - the idea being that you can vary the angle and have a variable width line like you'd have with a brush pen. The effect is cool, but requires a ton of practice to pull off. It's too bad that Pilot doesn't offer this nib on cheaper pens because it'd be neat for more people to try out, and the Custom 912 are very expensive. The only other Pilot pen that offers the WA nib is a Custom 742, and that pen is just as pricey.

I've never done it myself, but I've heard of people doing it by just using more force. If that's not your style, you can always contact TWSBI to see if they would cover the repair under warranty. They used to be good about this, but I've heard that their customer service has deteriorated.

On the note, I think that the Eco is just outright better than the 580 (and the Vac 700R for that matter). It's the newer pen and TWSBI has never addressed the production issues with their older pens. This mostly hast to do with the body of the pen, and the nibs are made by Jowo, so your friend may be just unlucky.

My favorite is easily 4B - it has a beautiful color that's business-like enough to use in almost all situations, and it has the most beautiful sheen. It's just too bad that it's so hard to find, and so expensive when you can get it. For saner inks, I like Yama-Budo, Sherwood Green, and Aurora Black.

My go-to would be Bungubox. Even if you're not interested in their exclusive pens, they have an exclusive line of inks made by Sailor. This line has a ton of really cool inks that include the aforementioned 4B. You can see some of the other ones sampled here: https://imgur.com/a/4RSO6. Note that these inks usually cost $45 USD online.

Do check their website before you go because they're not open every day: http://bung-box.com/user_data/store.php

Holy moly, some of those Sailor inks are fucking wild. L'amant is right up my alley and I've been looking for a high sheen gold/purple to complement my use of Yama-budo. Are there any international stores that carry their inks? I don't even care about the price when shit's that good :P

Thing is, I think the 580 (when assembled properly and working...) feels a lot more premium than the plastic-y Eco. Either way, considering how good mine writes I'm highly considering just more or less replacing all of my pens with different nibbed Ecos and focusing my exploration on inks rather than pens for now. The ink capacity in these beasts is ridiculous and I'd rather have several pens than swap out the ink in one pen before it's even 1/10th used up.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Holy moly, some of those Sailor inks are fucking wild. L'amant is right up my alley and I've been looking for a high sheen gold/purple to complement my use of Yama-budo. Are there any international stores that carry their inks? I don't even care about the price when shit's that good :P
Vaness currently has a sale on Bungubox inks so they're actually semi-affordable now: https://vanness1938.com/collections/bung-box-inks?page=1.

Thing is, I think the 580 (when assembled properly and working...) feels a lot more premium than the plastic-y Eco. Either way, considering how good mine writes I'm highly considering just more or less replacing all of my pens with different nibbed Ecos and focusing my exploration on inks rather than pens for now. The ink capacity in these beasts is ridiculous and I'd rather have several pens than swap out the ink in one pen before it's even 1/10th used up.
The 580 looks and feels good, but it's still prone to the section cracking. I prefer cartridge/converter pens over vacuum fillers and piston fillers because they're easier to clean out. I have more than 20 pens inked up, and they take forever to run dry anyways.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What would be an affordable recommendation with an extremely firm nib, to write on rough things that might catch?

Oct 25, 2017
Vaness currently has a sale on Bungubox inks so they're actually semi-affordable now: https://vanness1938.com/collections/bung-box-inks?page=1.

The 580 looks and feels good, but it's still prone to the section cracking. I prefer cartridge/converter pens over vacuum fillers and piston fillers because they're easier to clean out. I have more than 20 pens inked up, and they take forever to run dry anyways.

Ooh, thanks! 4B and the Sapphire were unfortunately out of stock but I ordered the Mandarin Orange and L'Amant. Looking forward to waiting for months and paying outrageous customs fees :P

Actually all of my pens sans the Eco and my Faber-Castell Loom tend to dry up relatively quickly.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
What would be an affordable recommendation with an extremely firm nib, to write on rough things that might catch?
All steel nibs are going to be about equally firm so the pen isn't going to affect that all that much. The nib size is going to matter more as finer nibs will deliver more feedback so you'll feel the pen catching more. I'm also not sure that you're on the right tack when it comes to looking for a firm nib - softer nibs have more give so they'll usually deliver less feedback and the writing experience is going to feel smoother. So a gold nibbed pen is probably going to feel more pleasant to write with. In general though, if you're going to be writing on rough paper, you're probably better off with a rollerball or a good marker pen.

Ooh, thanks! 4B and the Sapphire were unfortunately out of stock but I ordered the Mandarin Orange and L'Amant. Looking forward to waiting for months and paying outrageous customs fees :P

Actually all of my pens sans the Eco and my Faber-Castell Loom tend to dry up relatively quickly.
Yeah, 4B is the most popular so it always sells out the fastest.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
The hobonichi cover I'd like the most is the Ukrainian Flowers but it is a bit more than I'd like to spend. I'm considering just going for the A6 (smaller) English Planner and reusing a previous cover.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
So I got my Pilot Metro on Saturday and have gotten to spend some time with it. The ease of use really surprised me, I had imagined something much more...finicky I guess. It felt nice to write with both in terms of pen weight/shape, but also how it moved on the paper. The medium nib seemed like the general consensus for newcomers and while I like the pen, the line feels a bit fat. My script is pretty tight and I felt like I lost some legibility even on good paper where the ink wasn't bleeding.

So I ordered a fine nib to check out the differences. The pen is so reasonably priced that it seemed silly to not experiment a little. So we'll see how that goes.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered my Hobonichi plus EB cover. Will be interesting to go back to an A6 size after the Cousin. I liked the extra space but it was quite heavy.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I am way too stressed about which planner to use next year than I should be. I think I've narrowed it down to Midori TN or Hobonichi Weeks Mega (Sneaker).

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered my Hobonichi plus EB cover.

That is an amazing cover! I feel like the A6 is a good size for me, but the dated pages not so much. I thought I might try a stalogy as it has similar form factor but is not dated. Paper's different though.

Not paper at all, more like...rock. XD. can't just switch vibes to a non-fountain pen for the purpose either. I do weird things.

Whoa, I'd like to know how this goes. Will your ink adhere to the surface? Most FP inks I have don't really play well with a lot of surfaces, and if they do, it's the ones that eventually mess the feed up. I would just go with any one of the cheapest steel nib pens as you're exploring new territory there. I don't know that they vary much in hardness.

I ordered a fine nib to check out the differences. The pen is so reasonably priced that it seemed silly to not experiment a little. So we'll see how that goes.

You will probably like the fine better if you have smaller writing - I tend to go back and forth between F and M, it's nice to have both available.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Jetpens has Hobonichi items in stock!

I think I'm going to get the Sneaker Mega Weeks. If it's not in stock by time I can budget one (I'm about to go on a trip) then I guess I'll just try a Midori TN with the calendar inserts next year. If I hate it, I can always go back with the Spring lineup, right? Haha

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Hey hey hey! Happy to see that this thread is still alive!

Alright, pen news for me: yesterday i bought a pilot capless (yay! Happy!). It's my first gold nib pen and the feeling is otherworldly! At the moment im a little anxious with it since it was a significant sum of money but it'll fade over time!

I also have the 2019 hobonichi ordered and I'm considering a midori to keep my sprawling note taking somewhat organised. I bought a midori insert to see how the unusual form factor feels.

And them the news :)

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, shit.

I just bought a Pilot Metropolitan (classic design, gold color, fine nib, black ink) to use as my daily driver in university. My Lamy AL-Star is still amazing but it's dented (...I was brutal on the poor thing lol) and too precious to risk losing, so I'm giving the Metropolitan a try.

I bought a couple Preppys like 2 years ago and they're probably the most useful writing utensils I've ever owned. The black one had been skipping and dragging for some reason since I didn't use it all summer (guess I never cleaned it properly) and then I lost it a couple days ago, and I've been missing it deeply since.

Last edited:

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The blue clear TWSBI Eco releases today. I'm going to pick up a stub nib to match my other clear Eco. It's perfect timing because I just got a bottle of Diamond Arctic Blue (shimmer) in. :D

The blue sneaker Mega Weeks sold out on Jetpens while I was on a trip so I guess I'll do a Traveler's Notebook for 2019. Not interested in 2000 yen shipping for a single/small item.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
The blue clear TWSBI Eco releases today. I'm going to pick up a stub nib to match my other clear Eco. It's perfect timing because I just got a bottle of Diamond Arctic Blue (shimmer) in. :D

The blue sneaker Mega Weeks sold out on Jetpens while I was on a trip so I guess I'll do a Traveler's Notebook for 2019. Not interested in 2000 yen shipping for a single/small item.

My advice: when it comes to stubs, there's no "it's too wide".

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I've used Black n' Red notebooks for a long time to write letters to penpals, but when I bought a new one off Amazon, it had an ad for some app called Scribzee (or something) and all the sheets have these prominent black boxes in the corners. I went to Staples and their entire stock had the same thing. I'm peeved. I don't need that stupid crap and I don't like being forced into it. It may have been the effect of looking at "new" sheets, but it seemed like the inks behaved differently too. Skulls and Roses didn't sheen and I've consistently gotten sheen every paper I've tried, even on cheap office copy paper using the same pen/ink fill.

I guess I'll buy a ream of that HP paper people recommend and see how that works. I'd prefer not having to go back to TR paper because I don't like writing front and back. Ughhhhh BnR was perfect!

In pen-related stuff, I have my first PenBBS coming in about a month. I can't wait to see how it writes because there are a lot of pretty pens I want if it's good.

dodosaurus

Oct 27, 2017
The Sea
Hey pen era, so today misfortune stroke. I was writing with my Kaweco Sport and i notice that the ink flow isn't going great. So i check if the nib is filthy and i see some dust and clean it of. Works for a hot minute and then i get the same problem again, so i take of the front part with the nib and where you connect the ink cartridge... Ink cartridge falls out, ink everywhere. Ok seems fixable i think, and remove the old cartridge and look for any blockage or something it would get stuck on. I find nothing and try a new cartridge. This one also doesn't connect properly. The seal gets punctured but the cartridge doesn't lock in place. So i try cleaning the entire pen and see if it will fix it to no avail. Has anybody had something like this happen before, and if so what did you do to fix it? Help would be appreciated as my hands look like i just killed a smurf lol.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
When that happened to one of my Kakuno, I ended up keeping the nib and tossing the pen out. Maybe contact Kaweco customer support? They might be able to send a replacement part.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Hey pen era, so today misfortune stroke. I was writing with my Kaweco Sport and i notice that the ink flow isn't going great. So i check if the nib is filthy and i see some dust and clean it of. Works for a hot minute and then i get the same problem again, so i take of the front part with the nib and where you connect the ink cartridge... Ink cartridge falls out, ink everywhere. Ok seems fixable i think, and remove the old cartridge and look for any blockage or something it would get stuck on. I find nothing and try a new cartridge. This one also doesn't connect properly. The seal gets punctured but the cartridge doesn't lock in place. So i try cleaning the entire pen and see if it will fix it to no avail. Has anybody had something like this happen before, and if so what did you do to fix it? Help would be appreciated as my hands look like i just killed a smurf lol.

I had something similar happen with a cheapo pilot...

Status
Not open for further replies.