• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: People asked about why I was using UK numbers, so I added a bit about NPD in here, but numbers from there generally aren't public, which is why I'm being way less specific there. Mind, we haven't had NPD numbers for the last two games yet.

Now that Wolfenstein has come out, I thought it was worth bringing this thread back dex3108's thread.

First up, let's look at the games and their struggles.

Dishonored 2: This game started off down 38% in the UK, had kind of a mediocre, but not astonishing Steam debut, and then went on huge prices cuts very quickly. Arkane Lyon's Harvey Smith originally implied that there would be a Dishonored 3, but it would likely look at new characters and try to be a notable evolution of the series, which would be a pretty normal response to a slowdown in sales. More recently, Harvey Smith was asked again if there would be a Dishonored 3, and stated "I don't know yet. I kind of hope there are more Dishonored games, but I honestly don't know.", implying plans may have changed. It was down 40% in NPD as well, which covers the US.

Prey: Prey opened with very modest 20-25K in the UK, which puts it at about half of Dishonored 2's debut (Wolfenstein 2 debuted similarly), 1/3rd of Doom's debut, and 1/4th of Wolfenstein 1's debut. It also had notably slow sales on Steam, and seemingly quite modest NPD sales as well. The game's lifetime sales are sitting a bit under half of Dishonored 2's lifetime sales. Mind, it's been out a bit less time, but it has had aggressive price cuts. Arkane Austin followed up by posting a job for an Online Game Engineer, so it's unclear if they're making more Prey, but at minimum, it sounds like their next game has an online component. It was down a fair amount from Dishonored 2 in NPD, which covers the US.

Dishonored 2: Death of the Outsider: From a lifetime unit sales perspective, Dishonored 2 managed to recover on Steam through very aggressive price cuts to 940K. While though obviously eat a whole lot into profits, it's still a respectable number. Death of the Outsider is currently at 90K sold. It didn't really seem to move much anywhere else we could see either. I'm not sure what Bethesda was hoping for as far as attach rate goes, but in the last thread, no one really objected to saying this most likely underperformed. You may feel free to do so however. It did not make it into the top 20 in NPD, which covers the US.

The Evil Within 2: This was down 75% from the first The Evil Within game in the UK (with sales below Prey by a fair margin), and it's still only at about 100K on Steam.

Wolfenstein 2: Bringing us to today, Wolfenstein 2 debuted at less than half what Wolfenstein 1 did in the UK, which would put it about on par with Dishonored 2's debut, and about a third down from Doom. On Steam, I'm doing this from memory, but it seems to be going at about the same rate as Prey did. Keep in mind, Prey did seem to do a fair bit better on PC than consoles, which probably isn't too surprising for a System Shock spiritual successor. We'll have more solid data as time goes on, so while it might recover, the initial signs are not encouraging, and it's definitely trending to be down a fair bit from the previous game, even with digital. MachineGames said shortly before launch that they have plans for a Wolfenstein 3 if the second game sells well enough. Of course, that game is staring down PlayStation 5 development costs in all likelihood, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Just to provide some potential started questions:
1.) Where do you see Bethesda heading next?
2.) Where would you take Bethesda next?
3.) Feel free to take any other approach to talking about this. These are just example questions.

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch will save them?

I'm just expecting them to double down on Fallout/Elder Scrolls IPs. Maybe spinoffs

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
This is what I'm wondering after seeing how Wolf II did in the UK. This feels a lot like late 2000's-era EA when they were playing around with new IP's that didn't do anything for them. I can't foresee Bethesda not going down a similar path that EA ended up taking and going with safe bets and multiplayer-focused games that are easily monetized, instead of realizing that their reviewer policy coupled with their abysmal advertising has shot themselves in the foot at every turn.

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
They need to work on their promotion.

Promotion is word of mouth more than anything nowadays. They are doing themselves no favours.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
metroid_prime_4woqw3.jpg

Because why not

AyaTharja

User was permanently banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
They need to release a new Elder Scrolls game but they wont since they got 2 new games that's coming out before TES6 even starts development which i think is a mistake unless these 2 new games are big sellers

I would love to see a new RPG IP from them

Sci fi Elder Scrolls

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Probably cutting down on their output and monetising Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Seems like making less and getting consumers to invest more in core franchises is the way forward sadly.

I think Dishonored, Wolfenstein etc should be Q1/Q2 franchises. Maybe go back to longer launch cycles so the mainstream has more chance to catch on to what is coming out.

ninecubed

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't see Bethesda (as a publisher) entirely abandoning single player experiences, however, something's gotta give. I imagine budgets for these types of games will shrink, perhaps not drastically, but with ROI seemingly dropping, I don't think they have a ton of choice.

Personally, I believe that they'll shoot for more AA single player options, combined with a push to cash in on the GaaS movement. I'm really hoping they don't move on entirely, as these games have been some of my favorite experiences this gen.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps this is an aside, but do we think it's premature to ring the death-bell on The New Colossus without US sales? Given the current climate and nature of the game, is it possible that The New Colossus sales in the US might be an outlier (perhaps in terms of higher sales) to the rest of the world?

Personally, I wonder if Bethesda needs to rethink it's stance on preventing early review copies. I feel like many of these games kind of just released out of nowhere without very much fanfare. Combined with the fact that retailers are quick to drop the price of under-performing games, I feel as though I don't feel all that compelled to get these games at launch and am happy to wait for quick price-drops on Bethesda titles in a couple of months.

I also wonder if Bethesda needs to diversify the lineup of the types of games they publish. While I understand Prey, Dishonored and Wolfenstein are all different from a game-play perspective, their experiences are pretty similar in that they are first-person, tonally mature, narrative based games. They might be cannibalizing their own profits by playing around too much in this space?

Last edited:

Kyan

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Evil Within 2 this weekend and it was really great. I hope it ends up doing well.

I played the Prey demo and enjoyed it but never actually picked it up. Haven't played either Wolfenstein games or Dishonored games.

I always pick up their Elder Scrolls and Fallout games but after Fallout 4 I'm a little worried about how good the next Elder Scroll game is going to be. I also find it harder to play big open world games like that now that I'm working full time and going to school.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Accelerate development on the next ES and Fallout games.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like if you're not a big known game like AC, Mario, Crash, Fifa, or a big exclusive, you're forgotten in UK.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if it's just something with Sequels in general

WatchDogs2 and Titanfall 2 all did considerably worse than their predecessors (despite receiving much kinder reviews)

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I always wonder - do we really can say if those titles underperformed?

What if people really started buying more games in digital format? Also - let's remember about games like Watch Dogs 2. Didn't sell very well at launch, but couple of months after realease Ubi said that the word of mouth helped the game and their are happy with keeping the franchise alive.

I think that there's still time for Prey, The Evil Within 2 and especially new Wolfenstein to sell quite well.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's unfortunate to see how their games have been performing recently considering they have all been quality releases.

I can see them turning some non-BGS studios into support studios, like EA and Activision have done with their less successful studios. If they turn towards service games, I don't know if they can handle all their non-BGS studios working on online games.

Alternatively, maybe they'll learn lessons from recent releases and not completely give up on single-player focused games that are not TES/Fallout. I feel their recent games could've sold better with better marketing. In addition, I feel earlier reviews can go a long way towards creating awareness for your titles. To this day, I'm convinced that The Last of Us is as successful as it was because of well received it was along with the fact that reviews came out three weeks before release, giving people a lot of time to look into a new IP that was released at the end of the generation. Finally, this is a bit trickier in the current climate of overwhelming game releases but Wolf 2's release date doesn't do it any favors (TNO had a May release that helped a lot) and The Evil Within 2's Friday the 13th release turned out to be just a failed marketing gimmick. It's hard to find a nice spot on the calendar for these games but Oct/Nov definitely isn't it.

I always wonder - do we really can say if those titles underperformed?

What if people really started buying more games in digital format? Also - let's remember about games like Watch Dogs 2. Didn't sell very well at launch, but couple of months after realease Ubi said that the word of mouth helped the game and their are happy with keeping the franchise alive.

I think that there's still time for Prey, The Evil Within 2 and especially new Wolfenstein to sell quite well.

There's definitely still time. As Nirolak said, Dishonored 2 went on to sell quite responsibly on Steam due to great word-of-mouth and great price cuts. It's safe to expect similar growth from it on the two consoles as well. And we've definitely seen games grow into successes after they came out such as Rainbow Six Siege.

However, out of the gate I don't think the digital sales for TEW2 and Wolf 2 are that high otherwise we'd hear about it.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I feel that it's too soon for Wolfenstein 2.
Arkane is the biggest issue there, and the immersive sim genre as well. Where do they go from there in terms of scope, budget, pitch, etc.

For Mikami's studio, I woukd give them more creative freedom (the main issue from what I know) and allow them to work on different genres. I feel like this is a cultural issue between Bethesda and this studio tbh.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you fight the perception of people paying $30 for their games. I've been sort of conditioned to wait for their games till I see a discount on Xbox Live.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's time for them to stop the review and marketing policy that worked for Fallout 4 and Doom.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Bad time to launch Wolf up against Mario and AC. I don't think Prey matched those Steam sales though, but I could be way off.

As far as what's next, obviously the big brands are fine(i.e. ES and Fallout), but I can't imagine they will be pushing single player heavily going forward unless there are big digital sales that we are not aware of for some of these titles.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever direction is next I feel pretty safe in saying it's going to be one that upsets most of us.

Skip

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like just one disappointing release like that would be enough to make any major publisher rethink their stance on "one and done" single player games. Four in a row will definitely have some major repercussions.

vider

Oct 27, 2017
Slovenia
Better marketing aside I've no idea what they could do. I mean all those games are pretty great, yet they sold way less then their predecessors. Maybe the market really is shifting somewhat and we will simply see less and less single player experiences (open world games and some outliers aside).

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I probably wouldn't have released Wolfenstein the week before CoD. I'd try earlier releases, Wolfenstein 2 would've probably done well in the slower summer months, same for the others. TES and Fallout yeah you can put them in November and still take away 2-3 million that month, but you've got to safely grow your less known franchises.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I will say I think we might be a bit premature on deciding how well Wolf had done so far. Let's see how the month plays out.

Oct 27, 2017
We saw threads like this when Desinty 2 had disappointing UK numbers, and now it's the best-selling game of the year. Do we have to raise alarms everytime we get numbers out of the UK?

Dishonored 2 did alright in the long run and I'm willing to bet Wolfenstein II will as well. Prey has very limited appeal outside of hardcore gamers who want to play the same game 5 times in a row to figure out which playstyle is the least inefficient, with no really marketable traits outside of the 'play it your way' tagline, a claim every other game this gen has made. It received lukewarm reviews (I don't why ppl are insisting all these games all reviewed really well, 79 for Prey and 75 for EW2 are pretty mundane numbers for AAA games) and was in a bad state on launch, especially on PS4. I don't why it bombing is so alarming to ppl.

The main thing I would change are the release dates, pitting Dishonored against CoD and Battlefield was dumb and releasing Wolfenstein on literally the same day as Mario and AC is absurd, let alone a week before CoD, which is going back to killing Nazis.

Last edited:

traveler

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty disheartening to see all Bethesda's quality titles fail and shittier titles succeed. I'm glad they continue funding these sorts of things, so I hope the market doesn't convince otherwise. :/

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i would need to hear some total sales from Bethesda before dooming them all based purely on UK physical sales.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its depressing, although ultimately unsurprising, that four of the best games Bethesda has ever released are a sign that their business practices are headed in the wrong direction. :[

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Good games. Terrible marketing. Their approach to reviews has only hurt them. All of those games reviewed well. They also need to get these games out at different times of the year. I bought and loved TEW2 and Wolf2, but they were released in the busy season. Same as Dishonored 2 last year.

In general, publishers need to spread out their games more effectively. All of the games listed are good to great, but they are second tier AAA games. They're not small games, but they're not COD, Madden, NBA, Assassin's Creed or FIFA. Or even Destiny (which is really just replacing Halo). Leave October and November to the heavy hitters and GTFO of the way.

I think Fallout and Elder Scrolls could survive in OCT/NOV, but not these second tier AAA titles.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got the impression that Bethesda was willing to waste money on games that build up their brand name as long as they can just keep milking Skyrim

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Well in the thread we had on GAF about this topic.
Someone said that Bethesda doesn't do as much marketing as other pubs. And because of this their break-even point would be much lower. Also we don't know their sales expectations, so we don't know by how much they missed their sales targets. I just hope we get more singleplayer games from Arkane in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow sales too closely, but what's referenced in the OP is almost exclusively sales numbers in the UK alone. Are those representative of sales numbers everywhere else?

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow sales too closely, but what's referenced in the OP is almost exclusively sales numbers in the UK alone. Are those representative of sales numbers everywhere else?
Well, I have some NPD numbers too, but we're not supposed to post those publicly. These aren't doing great compared to the previous entries, though obviously the degree to which the games struggle varies per title. Mind, we haven't seen October yet.

Before, they just needed to build potential value for a mysterious future date, at which point investing in a lot of new IP or lower profile series to try and grow them made a lot of sense.

Last edited:

jmschwab82

Oct 30, 2017
I think Bethesda can recuperate their money on a new open world IP. I would like them to do something different than Skyrim and Fallout, but keep that same open world formula.

Deleted member 1845

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This whole "jump on GaaS" thing reminds me of the early 00s "make an MMO" and early 10s "make a MOBA". There is only so much market out there to support GaaS games, and if Bethesda jumps on the bandwagon, when will we see market exhaustion?

Anyways, the proper thing should have been to release TES VI, but Todd has his head too far up Skyrim's ass apparently. Hearing possible release dates as far off as 2022 is ridiculous.