• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Preliminary discussions have already taken place between U.S. Soccer, Soccer United Marketing and FOX about trying to put together a summer tournament featuring top teams that won't take part in the World Cup, sources with knowledge of the conversations confirmed to Goal.

There would have to be quite a bit to work out to make such a tournament a reality, with one source confirming that the discussions were very much in the preliminary stage.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/sour...iminary-talks-about/di0w1q5w7rwk1jo3u3o6rc3md

Some of the countries missing the World Cup include the US, Netherlands, Italy, Chile, Ghana, Wales. You could definitely make a quality tournament out of those squads plus a few more. What do you think, Soccer-Era?

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
060.png
In tournament form

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should do this for NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB.

All the non-qualified teams just play in the loser playoffs.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure Italy would be so honored to participate in such a tournament considering their rich history

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I'd probably watch more of this than the world cup if it's in the US just because of the time zone differences. Do an 8 team setup or something, two groups of 4 for a total of 15 matches.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Also:

Fox: "Hey, come join our other tournament!"

FIFA: "We'll suspend your asses indefinitely if you so much as look at that tournament the wrong way."

Debiddo

Nov 11, 2017
Would FIFA even allow a tournament like this near the World Cup?

I'm sure FIFA could see the benefits... Wouldn't be hard to persuade them.

Vince-McMahon-Money.jpg

"A second World Cup you say?"

Knowing England's luck, they'd agree to it and grant us the hosting rights during Qatar 2022 because that's just the FIFA thing to do.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Not interested. All countries competing would look pathetic for participating in a tournament which is just for losers and players wouldn't give a crap because nothing is on the line. Players would just say they're injured, and the players participating would never go the full 100% (both these things already happen with friendlies all the time). Besides, I don't think countries can force clubs to give up their players outside the official FIFA calendar, but don't quote me on that.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, this just seems like the USA being sore losers and desperately wanting to be part of the conversation. You weren't good enough this time, get over it. Top players are very unlikely to want to give up their only time off all year to play in a friendly tournament. Nobody is going to care if it's held at the same time as the World Cup either. I'd be shocked if anything comes of this or you'll end up with a bunch of B sides with players who'd otherwise never get to play for their country.