• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Extra $$ ? I think you are overestimating how much people would care about this.
And forgetting that clubs don't want to release their players in the summer (much less for friendly loser's competition) and that they are heavily compensated by FIFA for the World cup (200 millions for 2018).

Make it an official tournament in the future and yes they will make more than 200 million back and clubs will then have to release players . Really you don't see sold out stadiums for friendlies across the globe? Brazil and Argentina already plays each other in other countries for extra money. The federations also have some power in this for that ticket revenue, marketing and branding. Advertises would be on board and people within the timezones of where its held would watch. Basically I hate watching non-live games so if a match is on and I'm not available I'll just miss them or listen on the radio if possible. No taping or dvr for me. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. The main event will be more popular and watched more overall but fans would still watch another tournament for big name players or youth that are missing out.

The expanded format Fifa already plans to switch to is garbage and this could possibly prevent it. I'm all for keeping the world cup as is with no expansion. Your argument about spending and releasing players isn't going to matter since the expanded format in the future will require more players to be relased anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why everyone is defaulting to "no" on this, it sounds better than a string of random friendlies. If top players decline, fine, there are plenty of players looking for playing time and a chance to show the national team coaches what they can do. That could even be a selling point of the "showcase," don't allow players that start more than 25% of a top division team's games and call it a "rising stars" showcase. And the bribe money to get FIFA's blessing is probably a drop in the bucket compared to what Fox stands to lose in a USA-less WC.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. This gives teams playing in the World Cup a possible alternative if they dont want to play in Russia..

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is fantastic, Fox lost so much money on the World Cup with US not making it and this is their desperate attempt to mitigate the windfall. Even if this crap got off the ground, no one is going to watch it or give a shit.

norealmx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I don't see why everyone is defaulting to "no" on this, it sounds better than a string of random friendlies. If top players decline, fine, there are plenty of players looking for playing time and a chance to show the national team coaches what they can do. That could even be a selling point of the "showcase," don't allow players that start more than 25% of a top division team's games and call it a "rising stars" showcase. And the bribe money to get FIFA's blessing is probably a drop in the bucket compared to what Fox stands to lose in a USA-less WC.

That's already a thing, is called U20-17 World Cup.

But hey, if the thing is to "advertise", call I'm the B teams of countries in the real World Cup (maybe Mexico can sent the Liga de Ascenso MNT)

Vakuf

Oct 25, 2017
The more soccer when league football is done the better. Summer can be boring without football.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
The only way this wouldn't be so bad and potentially embarrassing is if this worked like the Dota 2 International.

Make this into a wildcard tournament and the winner would gain entry into the last open slot for the World Cup.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
This would feel pretty embarrassing to me if germany had to play in some kind of losers tournament.

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao. Who the fuck wants to see these shitty teams? USA couldn't beat Trinidad and Tobago. Italy couldn't beat Sweden. Chile couldn't beat Bolivia. Lol.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao. Who the fuck wants to see these shitty teams? USA couldn't beat Trinidad and Tobago. Italy couldn't beat Sweden. Chile couldn't beat Bolivia. Lol.
I take issue with that statement. The USMNT couldn't even draw against T&T (thats all they needed to clinch at least the playoff).

USSoccer should concentrate during that summer to do a complete overhaul, not thinking about a shitty tournament that's going to be the butt of jokes and a PR disaster.

This just shows how oblivious Fox is at world football if they think this is a good idea.

Vennt

Oct 27, 2017
Teams don't even like releasing their players for the national teams for the EC and WC as it is, the likelyhood of them signing off on something like this is close to zero.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I don't mind it. These are international games, people root for their country even if it's not the most prestigious tournament there is. And even if the best players aren't there. It's still football. And especially the younger guys benefit a lot for playing games like these. People who truly love hockey watch something like EHT too. Even though it never has the best players, not even close. It's still quality sports to watch. Or like college basketball isn't exactly the same as the NBA. But people still seem to enjoy it.

It's quite shocking to see some of the reactions here. Seems like knee-jerk once again.
Exactly, seems like here's atleast one sports fan among the nerds and geeks!

Last edited:

norealmx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I don't mind it. These are international games, people root for their country even if it's not the most prestigious tournament there is. And even if the best players aren't there. It's still football. And especially the younger guys benefit a lot for playing games like these. People who truly love hockey watch something like EHT too. Even though it never has the best players, not even close. It's still quality sports to watch. Or like college basketball isn't exactly the same as the NBA. But people still seem to enjoy it.

It's quite shocking to see some of the reactions here. Seems like knee-jerk once again.
Exactly, seems like here's atleast one sports fan among the nerds and geeks!

This is international football, not your feel-good, pay-to-win, at-least-you-tried 'American leagues.

In football there is not next year, no loser pick first. In football you go home, lick your wounds, get ready to not fail in 4 years.

None of this "you too are special" tournament dumbfoolery.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
This is international football, not your feel-good, pay-to-win, at-least-you-tried 'American leagues.

In football there is not next year, no loser pick first. In football you go home, lick your wounds, get ready to not fail in 4 years.

None of this "you too are special" tournament dumbfoolery.
I don't know much about American leagues. I'm a Finn myself, so my perspective naturally comes from hockey. There have been many different international tournaments as long as I remember watching it from early 90's. Some are worldwide and some are European teams only. There was a small tournament just last week played between Finland, Czech, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland and Canada. Tickets were sold out and here in Finland these games gathered the biggest viewership from TV watchers for the Fin-Can and Fin-Swe matches. We love hockey here. Fox probably isn't intending this to be another World Cup.

And btw, it's tomfoolery not dumbfoolery =P

Last edited: