• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Two Fox News broadcasts in the UK have been found in breach of Ofcom rules over impartiality.

A January edition of the Hannity programme discussed US President Donald Trump's ban restricting travel from seven majority-Muslim countries.

Ofcom said the US-made show was largely pro-Trump and did not sufficiently reflect alternative viewpoints.

Tucker Carlson Tonight was also found in breach for a broadcast in May following the Manchester terror attack.

Regarding Hannity, Ofcom said they had taken into account "that Fox News is a US news channel, directed at US audiences, which is available in the UK. The people who watch it in the UK are aware that it is a US channel and their expectations are different.

"It is not a main source of news in the UK. However, we were also mindful that, in our view, this particular programme dealt with major matters relating to current public policy that, as well as being of international significance, were of particular relevance and significance to UK viewers."

Ofcom said the Tucker Carlson Tonight episode accused various public bodies and individuals in the UK , including Prime Minister Theresa May, of "doing nothing to counter terrorism; stop radicalisation; protect citizens from terrorism; or protect 'thousands of underage girls' from rape and abuse".

Fox News is a channel originating in the US which stopped broadcasting on Sky in the UK in August and surrendered its licence to Ofcom on 1 November.

Sky said the decision to axe the channel was down to low audience figures.

Ofcom said it was "appropriate" to publish its rulings against Fox News, even though it is no longer a licensed television service falling under its jurisdiction.

Additional info here - http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41887613

Why am I not surprised?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Can we have an ofcom in the US? They seem like good dudes.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
The Fairness Doctrine wasn't perfect. But still.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
The Fairness Doctrine wasn't perfect. But still.
Yup. But then it was attacked on the fairness of the First Amendment rights so yeah... they had to nuke it. I fully support that amendment in every way but it seems like it being used to defend the right to not be impartial in a news organization is very wrong to me.

Last edited:

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never ever let the Murdochs touch Sky. The amount of poison Fox News injected into the US is quite literally killing the country, and it would just be a matter of time before some equivalent "news" channel was rolled out there.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can't say I'm surprised it fell afoul of Ofcom when it's so very blatantly partisan.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I thought fox wasn't allowed to call themselves a news network? Didn't they claim they were an "entertainment" network and not news in a lawsuit or do I have my facts twisted?