1. http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ck-steven-wilder-striegel-20180906-story.html

so the director (Shane Black) hired his convicted pedophile friend to do a minor role, and proceeded not to tell anyone involved in the movie about his past

what a fucking dumbass

2. Strafer

Strafer
    The Flagpole is Wider Member

oh no

3. Richter1887

Richter1887

As if I didn't need more reasons to turn me off the movie...

4. Sgt. Demblant

Sgt. Demblant

What the fuck, Black.
    I guess it's not that surprising considering some of the questionable shit he's said in interviews but still.

Good on Olivia Munn for not letting that slide though.

5. Kinsei

Kinsei

Black had better be blacklisted from Hollywood after this. He probably won't be though.

6. Ashby

Ashby

Action film nerds will justify this

7. JDSN

JDSN

Good on Munn. All the trash gamers that hate her will now defend this.

8. Fat4all

Fat4all
    Community Resettler Member

maybe dont do that

9. What stopped the studio from finding out? This is why they do background checks.

10. Barracuda

Barracuda

It would be great if the predator pulled off the mask at the end and it was him.

11. BossAttack

BossAttack

It's in the OP. They can't do background checks.

12. Fat4all

Fat4all

oh man that’d be meta as heck

13. Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Right there in the OP.

Which seems insane to me, but there it is.

14. FairyEmpire

FairyEmpire

I initially misunderstood the meaning of the term "minor role" in relation to the fact the guy is a pedophile.

15. .....

16. Daygon

Daygon
    Self-requested ban. Member

I expect nothing from Hollywood and yet, I still feel disappointed.

17. Ginta

Ginta

He was convicted and paid for his crime. I don't see the connection to acting in an action movie with other adults.

18. Nappuccino

Nappuccino

I understand the want and need to employ reformed criminals. But you have to do it on the up and up.

19. Firemind

Firemind

20. oh yeah, also from the article:

so he is going to produce the pedophile friend's film as well

21. Fat4all

Fat4all

what the heck

is there some clause that stipulates that

22. Veggen

Veggen

Add that with the fact that the movie is called "The Predator", and it almost seems deliberate.

23. Axe

Axe

Puts the title of the film in a whole new light, yikes!

Deeply disturbing behaviour on Shane Black's behalf.

24. Kinthey

Kinthey

What qualifies as background check? Is a simple google search already crossing the line? The first thing that pops up when you Google his name is that he's a sex offender

25. Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

The problem is that he (meaning Black) didn't inform anyone.

26. Vareon

Vareon

Very curious about the legal situation that prevented studios from doing this kind of background check.

27. metalslimer

metalslimer

It will be incredible if Black isn't done working with Fox/Disneyfox especially in light of the Gunn situation. Also fuck this guy for trying to hide that

28. Yes, I read the OP. It still doesnt explain why they cant run background checks on actors. It makes no sense.

29. Tence

Tence

Good on her indeed.

The second part of your sentence reminded me of old Gaf threads. Everytime Olivia was mentioned, at least twenty posters deemed it necessary to shit on her.
    Never understood the Munn hatred

30. P-Switch

P-Switch
    Alt Account Member

We can’t employ people who have committed crimes in the past and have paid their debts to society?

I can understand not employing a convicted sex offender concerning a minor as a teacher, or any job dealing with kids/teens....but nothing?

31. Christian

Christian

Wow. I didn’t really have much respect for Olivia Munn - I have no real reason to have any, not that I dislike her - but this definitely casts her in a new light. Really well done.

32. Critch

Critch

It's the new reality. No matter how much time you've served, no matter how you've changed, once you're affixed with the scarlet letter, you might as well shoot yourself because you will never be allowed to live in the world again.

IMO, there shouldn't be a sex offender list, it shouldn't have been any of the business of the studio or anyone. He served his time? Is free to go without restriction? Then WTF is the problem? If he's going to not be allowed to have a job again then why let him out in the first place?

33. Fat4all

Fat4all

I suppose the question comes down to whether or not anyone was legally obligated to inform people of this

I’d imagine the guy would be legally obligated to, but Black wouldn’t be

34. ahoyhoy

ahoyhoy

Yep. Generally this is something you should disclose to your employees
    (especially right now).

35. Dali

Dali

It was 8 years ago and maybe he'd have done something if he got what he was fishing for but he was caught before it got to that point. Dudes got to work and if he's not working around children then what's the problem?

36. Kinggroin

Kinggroin

Oof. The lack of transparency is a baaaaad look. Gonna be raked over the coals for that one Shane.

Edit: Someone should make a thread asking whether folks agree with allowing pedophiles back into the workforce.

37. NoName999

NoName999

MUH ARTIST INTENT

38. DIE BART DIE

DIE BART DIE

To Catch The Predator

39. Just_a_Mouse

Just_a_Mouse

What the hell? Background checks should legally be allowed for any job, especially a profession as filled with sick assholes as acting.

40. Daygon

Daygon
    Self-requested ban. Member

Why, please explain?

41. Fat4all

Fat4all

lol

42. Veggen

Veggen

I'm not familiar with that, but her believing in things like real-life exorcisms is not cool in my book.

43. Dennis8K

Dennis8K

The Predator to be renamed to The Predators.

44. Ginta

Ginta

What would be the reason to do so?

Second chances and redemption seem to be a foreign concept for far too many.

45. how would you feel if you found out your coworker was actually a convicted sex offender who tried to solicit sex from a child? and no one told you?

46. FairyEmpire

FairyEmpire

"Are you kidding me"

47. Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Doesn't Jacob Tremblay star in the movie?

48. TheEnd

TheEnd

Still upset that they didn’t CGI TJ Miller out of Deadpool 2.

49. Kinggroin

Kinggroin

Real life exorcisms exist. What's to believe in? Unless you mean, believe in their healing ability.

50. metsallica

metsallica

SAG thing? No background checks? If not and this was something deliberately added to a contract it's way worse.