• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Why should my money as a viewer (or for generally anything else a customer) go towards a child rapist?

It's very much a point of contention for me that this guy was getting a chance at fame after trying to rape a kid. I'd put that sort of thing at the single worst thing a human being can do, if not up there.

It's very much unforgivable regardless and should haunt the piece of shit until the end of his life after he tried to utterly destroy a kids entire life for a few minutes of pleasure.
You go to your local supermarket to buy $50 worth of groceries. Turns out one of the employees there is a convicted pedophile. Your money just went towards supporting them.

You get an oil change at a car repair shop. Yadda yadda convicted pedophile. Your money just went towards supporting them.

It's pretty dumb that you apparently think that these people, however scummy they may be, be never allowed to work for a living.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
No one had the responsibility to tell Munn about what this guy she was acting with, for one day on set, did a decade ago.

US law isn't to tattoo "sex offender" on your forehead so that everyone, even adults, can avoid/ignore you (at least not yet)

She's the female lead of the movie and is a Fox studio actor

Not in the mood for this

Veggen

Oct 25, 2017
What does her belief in the supernatural has anything to do with this? I think people are just using it to justify dismissing her feelings as inherently irrational.
No, follow the conversation thread. This is not a reasonable reading of that conversation.

Why would you think that her feelings could be read as "inherently irrational" after her acting rational? That's very different from asking about her prior reputation.

trikster40

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Now, shit like that should get you fired. If Gunn has done that, I'd be 1,000% behind it. Even Black's reason sounds fishy - he was "caught up in a bad situation"?? He plead guilty to trying to lure a 14 year old girl on the internet! How is that anything BUT lecherous???

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But if they should get jobs, then why not in a movie? What makes the movie industry so important it should be excluded for them above any other industry? I can't really see the logic here.
That's an easy one. Because unfortunately, the entertainment industry to amass game and resources and get themselves into positions of power over others to avoid responsibility/repercussions for their actions, and that's exactly the last kind of position we should be allowing pedophiles to get anywhere close to.

Like, of you don't get it, just look at people like R. Kelly. Everyone knows what he did but due to the power he wields from the entertainment industry he has a huge shield and I'd able to get away with God knows what. Same with creeps like Harvey Weinstein who was able to get away with stuff for far too long because, due to the connections he had and stuff even had people scuttling stories about him at NBC and stuff. Then you have like Bill Cosby as well, who took far too long to take down because of the same thing: who would ever believe that Heathcliff Huxtable could do those things?

He can have jobs, and work, yes, because, everyone needs to. But nothing like the film industry that can easily carry people to fame, success, and positions of power to avoid accountability as that's the last type of thing pedophiles should have. Infinite no's to even risking that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
No one had the responsibility to tell Munn about what this guy she was acting with, for one day on set, did a decade ago.

US law isn't to tattoo "sex offender" on your forehead so that everyone, even adults, can avoid/ignore you (at least not yet)
sorry, but a victim of sexual assault like olivia munn should have the right to know if the guy she's working with is a sex offender

it's the bare minimum they could have done

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly don't mean to be hostile, but if you read his post closely, he actually does not do that. Or not in the way you think.

His post is unfortunate, but he chose homosexuality as a comparison instead of heterosexuality probably because heterosexuality is not viewed as aberrant. Homosexuality being viewed, by some, as aberrant or harmful is entirely incorrect, whereas pedophilia very obviously is both aberrant and harmful. However, like being homosexual, heterosexual, one very likely does not choose to be a pedohile. That is what Rolfgang meant.

Disagree. That post pretty clearly made that comparison. Even whatever way you're trying to 'explain' it doesn't really change that.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Why should my money as a viewer (or for generally anything else a customer) go towards a child rapist?

It's very much a point of contention for me that this guy was getting a chance at fame after trying to rape a kid. I'd put that sort of thing at the single worst thing a human being can do, if not up there.

It's very much unforgivable regardless and should haunt the piece of shit until the end of his life after he tried to utterly destroy a kids entire life for a few minutes of pleasure.

Then why not just give him the death penalty and get it over with ?

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't get the Witch Hunt in the States against pedophiles. If they serve their punishment and are being prevented to work with children and aren't allowed near schools, then that's enough. Being placed on a public watch list and prevented from doing ANY work is insane. It was a scene with an adult woman. Let them have a chance in society.

I'm not saying pedophilic behaviour is fine, but people who suffer from it can't help it, it's an attraction. Just like you ca force a gay man to stop fancying other men. Pedophiles shouldn't be exiled from society, they need to be HELPED by society so they can have a life and kids aren't hurt in the meantime. Stop acting like they are not human or will also rape a mature woman out of nowhere.

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People in here trying to defend some grown ass man who tried to solicit sex from a 14 year old relative. Do you want to work with someone like that?

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, Black's reasoning is suspect. Trying to help a friend caught up in a bad situation? He tried to rape a minor.

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
You're skimming over how the guy in question actually tried to rape a kid. I have empathy for people with uncontrolable attactions to kids, I have none for those actively raping and trying to rape kids.

I'm not skimming over that part at all.

Last time I checked, in the US, convicted felons who have "paid their debt to society" can go on and live their life as a human being and work jobs that don't actively filter out felony charge holders.

At some point, you either have to accept the concept of rehabilitation, or not. If not, you have to take the argument that this guy should have never been released from prison.

There is no "half rehabilitation/half I'm still going to treat you like a pariah for the rest of your life" option.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Disagree. That post pretty clearly made that comparison. Even whatever way you're trying to 'explain' it doesn't really change that.

What I'm trying to explain is that treating these people would be more helpful and more humane than the unequivocal demonizing this board likes to engage in, however understandable considering the heinous acts these conditions sometimes result in.

Denying them work after they've served their time for instance, what the hell does that achieve?

/edit: on the other hand though... I've had strong feelings with regards to reports you hear about years of abuse by priests for instance. In a way it really is unforgivable. I just think it can't be wrong to at least try to view these people as human.

Last edited:

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Black has shown in the past how much he's all about loyalty to friends and second chances, but in this case it was pretty obviously a bad idea.

Munn was right to call attention to it, but I see there's still some people letting everyone know their reasons for disliking her apropos of nothing.

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's an easy one. Because unfortunately, the entertainment industry to amass game and resources and get themselves into positions of power over others to avoid responsibility/repercussions for their actions, and that's exactly the last kind of position we should be allowing pedophiles to get anywhere close to.

Like, of you don't get it, just look at people like R. Kelly. Everyone knows what he did but due to the power he wields from the entertainment industry he has a huge shield and I'd able to get away with God knows what. Same with creeps like Harvey Weinstein who was able to get away with stuff for far too long because, due to the connections he had and stuff even had people scuttling stories about him at NBC and stuff. Then you have like Bill Cosby as well, who took far too long to take down because of the same thing: who would ever believe that Heathcliff Huxtable could do those things?

He can have jobs, and work, yes, because, everyone needs to. But nothing like the film industry that can easily carry people to fame, success, and positions of power to avoid accountability as that's the last type of thing pedophiles should have. Infinite no's to even risking that.

But you can't prevent them from becoming the next R. Kelly. There's plenty of avenues other than Hollywood for getting to a position of power. You can't prevent all of them from reaching some kind of success. Restricting the film industry is completely arbitrary.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit, Black's reasoning is suspect. Trying to help a friend caught up in a bad situation? He tried to rape a minor.
And? He served his time. Should he not be allowed to work in his chosen field as long as it doesn't include unsupervised access to kids? Should he fear being summarily fired by his coworker's demands wherever he goes?

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sounds about right for Hollywood.

KdGqQY.gif

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
There is no "half rehabilitation/half I'm still going to treat you like a pariah" option.
Actually, there is. You may not like it, but as a parent whose job is to protect my children from people like this I do not want these people in any positions of power, and that includes Hollywood which already has issues with predatory behavior towards children. Same deal with serial killers, I don't think Ed Kemper needs to be released back into society even though he's been in prison for 30+ years.

Please respond to my comment that I quoted you on earlier.

Last edited:

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't get the Witch Hunt in the States against pedophiles. If they serve their punishment and are being prevented to work with children and aren't allowed near schools, then that's enough. Being placed on a public watch list and prevented from doing ANY work is insane. It was a scene with an adult woman. Let them have a chance in society.

I'm not saying pedophilic behaviour is fine, but people who suffer from it can't help it, it's an attraction. Just like you ca force a gay man to stop fancying other men. Pedophiles shouldn't be exiled from society, they need to be HELPED by society so they can have a life and kids aren't hurt in the meantime. Stop acting like they are not human or will also rape a mature woman out of nowhere.
I know you're banned, but there's a distinction between an attraction and attempted rape. As an American adult, he knows having sex with a girl that young is rape. It's a willful predatory crime. Can't blame that on any kind of mental illness.

And comparing it to homosexuality is pretty disgusting.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Black has shown in the past how much he's all about loyalty to friends and second chances, but in this case it was pretty obviously a bad idea.
Yeah this seems like another Robert Downey Jr/Mel Gibson situation. When you come up with a friend you're willing to stick your neck out for them even if its not a great look.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
And? He served his time. Should he not be allowed to work in his chosen field as long as it doesn't include unsupervised access to kids? Should he fear being summarily fired by his coworker's demands wherever he goes?
yeah i feel like trying to rape a 14 year old girl having the repercussions of six months in prison followed by fear that you may struggle to find work because you tried to rape a 14 year old when you were 38 is kind of fair, if not very light punishment

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think people who have been punished should be ostracised to the point they can never work again.

But their past should be disclosed if it involves children like this, it should certainly not be hidden by powerful friends so they can sneak in the beach door like nothing happened.

Saying that, this situation involves a man who tried to and would have had sex with a 14 year old child. The fact he got caught before it happened doesn't mean a thing. Unless he's had some profound life changing therapy or something he would probably still do it if he could get away with it, and even then it was a heinous thing he attempted.

Not someone I would personally enjoy working in proximity with, and I think Black's handling of it is terrible and his response talking about his friend being "caught up" in something like it wasn't his fault is a real shitty attempt to spin.

So good his scene was removed, and shame on Black for trying to hide it from the cast and crew.

yeah i feel like trying to rape a 14 year old girl having the repercussions of six months in prison followed by fear that you may struggle to find work because you tried to rape a 14 year old when you were 38 is kind of fair, if not very light punishment

Exactly.

The guy needs to try to find honest work while disclosing his past and hope he finds something. He should not be given easy let ups by friends who attemp to hide his past for him.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

They should be told. If that makes people uncomfortable, than maybe don't go and try and rape kids.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Was hoping this would be a "he's done his time so I gave him a job" type deal, but nope he literally thinks he didn't do anything wrong.

Also why is there a law that stops studios from running background checks on actors? That doesn't make any sense to me.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Shane Black knew it was wrong, that's why he didn't tell anyone about it.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure someone is going to come in any time now to post how homosexual actors used to have to hide their identities too.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Paedos that offended do not deserve a second chance
Yeah, if these people want to come to the table before they offend and get help that's one thing, in that case they should be helped I think but I don't believe pedophilia even if you're looking at it as a mental disorder is marked by someone not knowing right from wrong, these people do know what they are doing is wrong. They have the power to get treatment and therapy, they can undergo chemical castration, they can call the police and tell them "I can't control these urges, I need to be locked up away from kids". Most of them don't do that because they choose to serve themselves and their sick desires at the expense of children. They use grooming tactics, they use guilt to make sure their victims don't tell anyone, they lie, they hide what they are doing.

fleeting

Oct 27, 2017
sorry, but a victim of sexual assault like olivia munn should have the right to know if the guy she's working with is a sex offender

it's the bare minimum they could have done

Why though? If he did his time in prison, he did his time in prison. If victims are to be informed, that means that there must be public sex offender lists for people to look up, and/or force these people to inform future employers (and employees of these places?) and everybody who lives in their area. I know a lot of people thinks that is a great idea though.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'm not skimming over that part at all.

Last time I checked, in the US, convicted felons who have "paid their debt to society" can go on and live their life as a human being and work jobs that don't actively filter out felony charge holders.

At some point, you either have to accept the concept of rehabilitation, or not. If not, you have to take the argument that this guy should have never been released from prison.

There is no "half rehabilitation/half I'm still going to treat you like a pariah for the rest of your life" option.

Last time you checked you were mistaken then, becuase not only does the US sex offenders registry SORNER require 15 years minimum on the list and he's still on it. His time has not been served.

But regardless, what actual reason is there that there can't be a halfway measure to letting him live his life but without the same freedoms as anyone else? What reason at all?

OP
OP

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
Why though? If he did his time in prison, he did his time in prison. If victims are to be informed, that means that there must be public sex offender lists for people to look up, and/or force these people to inform future employers (and employees of these places?) and everybody who lives in their area. I know a lot of people thinks that is a great idea though.
he lives in california. where there is a sex offender registry you can search to find the locations of sex offenders in your area.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
The big difference here that people aren't making a distinction about is that Munn appearing in a movie next to this person is viewable to a huge public audience. Most people view someone working with another actor as approval of working with that person. She has a right to be upset to be connected to a person she does not want to be connected to. What makes matters worse is that the character hits on her. For a victim like Munn, that is messed up.

RedMercury You are asking for evidence of something that would be private. A person can be rehabilitated without needing to show you what they've been doing for the past eight years.

For the context of the whole thread it would be better if people are using facts in this situation. It doesn't help the argument when someone claims he's raping people, in some cases people positing it as he's presently still actively raping people.

Also just want to say a general wtf that this is happening with a film with that title.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Black defended his decision to cast Striegel in a small part in "The Predator" as a jogger who repeatedly hits on Munn's character.

How could you hire this dude to do this shit, and hes already a known sexual predator. like what.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It doesn't help the argument when someone claims he's raping people
He molested a child.
RedMercury You are asking for evidence of something that would be private. A person can be rehabilitated without needing to show you what they've been doing for the past eight years.
Okay, so just take it on faith he rehabilitated then? I mean if we don't have the evidence. Maybe it would be prudent for the person to share what exactly they have done to change and make sure it never happens again.

I appreciate your response but I really wanted to hear from P-Switch

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are really confused why Munn would want to know about having to work with an actor that tried to rape a 14 year-old and y'know, is kinda uncomfortable and not cool with that and doesn't want anything to do with that and think she's the crazy and unreasonable one here?

But yet, just last month, just last month, over on gaming side, when major Twitch streamer Ninja said he had no interest in doing any collaborative streams with women (to avoid "drama" he has no problem causing and getting involved in when it involves literally anyone other than he himself and being the cause of the exact thing he claims to hate), most people were giving him their love and support and just going "yeah, that's cool; I get why he wouldn't want to stream with women (instead of, y'know, just not being part of the problem in the first place)."

Women: Lower on the social pole than convicted pedophiles apparently. I knew things were bad for women, but goddamn, when people have more sympathy for pedophiles than women and believe people like Munn should basically be forced to work with pedophiles against their will by just having that information completely withheld from them and made "none of her business" but yet apparently people at the same time were crazy for calling out Ninja's nonsense for what it was for and for him to just get over himself and stop being such a hypocrite and thinking he should just treat women the same way he treats the men he works with?

Just a fascinating difference in tone between these two threads I can't help but observe. Men get to work with whoever they want, or don't want to work with as the case may be, and if that means excluding half the population of the planet, so be it. But women, women! You not comfortable with working with a convicted pedophile? Now, THAT, on the other hand, is purely unreasonable! Just, like, wow.

fleeting

Oct 27, 2017
he lives in california. where there is a sex offender registry you can search to find the locations of sex offenders in your area.
Yes, sorry, I meant to ask do you think it's a good thing? Should these lists exist, and for how long are you to be on it, and should you be forced to inform everybody (work, living) about your past?

Like somebody else asked in the thread, why not just get rid of these people if they don't matter anymore.