• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
Ok...

First, if you have a mental health condition that potentially can do or did harm to others is your ethical obligation to tell the people around you about your condition. You treat your condition like any other. If you have an organic condition that can affect the well being of others you have to be responsible of your burden.

Second, the fact that a friend cover up this kind of begavbeh is part of the same issue. If he is "rehabilitated" why hide the fact? Social shaming? Nah, you must be respectful with others no matter what. That's not who rehab works.

Third, yes pedophilia and ephebophilia are mental disorders or conditions, but that fact don't make them equals to depression or bipolar disorder. Making false equivalencies is not the way to go. Some conditions do harms to others, the people who have them must atone for their bad conduct. That's part of the rehabilitation. And because these conditions can't be cured you must me mindful of that always.

Fourth, comparing pedophilia to being gay is the must ignorant, dumb shit I have ever witness in my 8 years working as a clinical psychologist who works with sex offenders and other type of mental conditions that are dangerous to society.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Forgiveness and redemption are good values, that you may decide to implement in your personal life.

Huge misstep for Black, and people blaming Munn for calling out the casting choice have bizzarre priorities. She has all the right to decide she doesn't want to be involved with someone guilty of something so horrible.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to prison rehabilitation and prison reform, there should be a desire to pivot society's focus to rehabilitating people who have served their time.

But yeah in the context of America's prison system, the vast majority made up of low level drug offenders. Petty theft, burglary, maybe even some cases of assault. But sexual enticing (assault) of a minor? Yeah no, I don't think we need to capitulate to the rhetoric that we need to include them in rehabilitation, or at the very least letting them nicely fold back into society. And that's applying context into the situation because anybody can end up as a sex offender for various reasons (indecent exposure for example) but throwing on the cape for this guy ain't it to me. I'm not sure this dude deserves to get to ride under the wave of pro-rehabilitation.

Real Hero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why though? If he did his time in prison, he did his time in prison. If victims are to be informed, that means that there must be public sex offender lists for people to look up, and/or force these people to inform future employers (and employees of these places?) and everybody who lives in their area. I know a lot of people thinks that is a great idea though.
That is a perfectly fine idea.

Oct 28, 2017
Why was he obligated to? The guy payed for his crimes, he likely sees himself as a new man now.

It seems not legally, but as director he should have at least considered how that would impact his actors. But this guy was his friend and he had legally paid for his crime. I see both sides but as director I think his loyalty to his friend shouldn't have been the priority. If he had talked to Munn maybe this could have ended differently.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
That's not what it says in the OP. Is there a different case he's involved in?
http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ck-steven-wilder-striegel-20180906-story.html

In emails to The Times, Striegel described her as one of his "distant relatives" who spoke to him at "several family gatherings" about "a multitude of problems she was facing, including being a truant, being pressured to do drugs and alcohol, and that she had started having sex, as well as many other things."

In an attempt to boost her self-esteem, Striegel said he "made the the very bad judgement call of telling her in these emails that she was attractive, and sexy, and not a failure, etc." He said he made it clear the two could not engage in a romantic relationship because of her age and because they were related.

But a March 2009 arrest warrant affidavit — which identifies the 14-year-old only as "Jane Doe" — alleges that physical contact included "kissing, touching Doe's breast over her clothing, rubbing her legs and stroking her neck" on several occasions.

In one email message, Striegel told the girl that there was no one in the world he would rather have sex with. "I will be VERY honest: There's no question that it's you. None. Hope that doesn't totally freak you out, and just because it's what I want, and what you want, doesn't mean it's the right thing."

In other correspondence, he described his sexual preferences in graphic detail, including his favorite intercourse position and intimate grooming practices.

"EVERY thing you say turns me on!!" he wrote to Doe. "I love that it rocked you when I pulled your hair that time."

People fucking defending this asshole need to understand, this is a person who knew right from wrong and did it anyways. This is a person that groomed and molested a child who was also a family member, imagine the sort of person that could betray someone's trust like that to those ends.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I never got the hate for Olivia Munn, and now I'm kind of bummed that she'll get even more hate from an awful audience.

This is the right move on all sides.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to prison rehabilitation and prison reform, there should be a desire to pivot society's focus to rehabilitating people who have served their time.

But yeah in the context of America's prison system, the vast majority made up of low level drug offenders. Petty theft, burglary, maybe even some cases of assault. But sexual enticing (assault) of a minor? Yeah no, I don't think we need to capitulate to the rhetoric that we need to include them in rehabilitation, or at the very least letting them nicely fold back into society. And that's applying context into the situation because anybody can end up as a sex offender for various reasons (indecent exposure for example) but throwing on the cape for this guy ain't it to me. I'm not sure this dude deserves to get to ride under the wave of pro-rehabilitation.
Given the amount of people who are convicted of sex crimes we do, because you would be shocked how many there are. And rehabilitation is something that we give everyone.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
I do believe if someone pays their dues, they should be able to reenter society, but this some twisted logic by Black:

-Munn has been sexual harassed before + Black friend's a registered sex offender
= Black give his friend a role where he harasses Munn's character???

Who does that? You want to help your friend out? Cast that guy as far away from sexual predator role as possible. Don't put him in a role where he reenacts his convicted crime.

Pull Munn aside, and let her know his friend status and if she ask her if she is comfortable acting in scene with him. If not, recast him in another minor role that he doesn't interact with Munn. One that doesn't involve him being pervert.

Munn was absolutely right to report this higher up. Black is at fault here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ck-steven-wilder-striegel-20180906-story.html

People fucking defending this asshole need to understand, this is a person who knew right from wrong and did it anyways. This is a person that groomed and molested a child who was also a family member, imagine the sort of person that could betray someone's trust like that to those ends.

Child molester hiding behind some kind of noble intent.

We can still have the overarching conversation about rehabilitation, debts to society, and how these offenders should be treated by others, but at least now those downplaying the guy's actions and Black's shitty sneak tactics can stfu right?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Why do people keep saying he's served his dues or done his time?

He litteraly hasn't. He's still on the register.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually pretty fucked up. This guy served the time for his crimes. Unless there is some kind of legal obligation to disclose that a person is a sex offender whenever they start a new job, which is hugely problematic, or he was allowed access to children through his role as cast on the film, I don't see why it's anyone's business that he is a sex offender.
Going from a convicted pedophile to a major Hollywood movie seems like way too fast of a bounce back recovery.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
We can still have the overarching conversation about rehabilitation, debts to society, and how these offenders should be treated by others, but at least now those downplaying the guy's actions and Black's shitty sneak tactics can stfu right?
One would think so.

Another point I'd like to make for the people saying "He did his time": The US Justice system is not an infallible entity by any stretch of the imagination. Sentencing and charges can vary wildly depending on a number of factors. It's ridiculous to use that as any barometer for some notion of if he's "paid" for his crimes.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Awkward situation and not handled in the best way clearly. I'm sure Black had the best intentions in giving his friend a chance at a job, after he served his time and nearly 9 years has passed since it happened, although he still should have told the studio first. Something like this isn't enough to put me off the movie or Shane Black though, it's not like he committed the crime and especially since the scene isn't even in the film now.

On the plus side, I'm hearing very good things about The Predator from someone who's seen an early screening over on AvP Galaxy. Not as good as the original (obviously) but better than Predator 2 and Predators, seems to be the verdict, so I'm very much looking forward to watching it.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the full article his defense for those e-mails is beyond absurd. Those e-mails from eight or so years ago are a person with a problem, not someone trying to encourage someone.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Why was he obligated to? The guy payed for his crimes, he likely sees himself as a new man now.
If his view is similiar to his friend who hired him, then no, he isn't a changed man.

But he said he has long believed that Striegel was "caught up in a bad situation versus something lecherous."
Sure, just an accident, nothing lecherous at all when trying to lure a 14 year old into a sexual relationship /s

fleeting

Oct 27, 2017
One would think so.

Another point I'd like to make for the people saying "He did his time": The US Justice system is not an infallible entity by any stretch of the imagination. Sentencing and charges can vary wildly depending on a number of factors. It's ridiculous to use that as any barometer for some notion of if he's "paid" for his crimes.
What should be used then?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually pretty fucked up. This guy served the time for his crimes. Unless there is some kind of legal obligation to disclose that a person is a sex offender whenever they start a new job, which is hugely problematic, or he was allowed access to children through his role as cast on the film, I don't see why it's anyone's business that he is a sex offender.

This is not difficult.

1. If you're on the list it should be made aware to any new potential employer. It's then up to them if they decide to give you a chance.

2. My personal decision on 1 where I making the call would be to enquire if the person has made strong attempts at persona rehabilitation AND amends via charity work, or raising awareness on how the actions of paedophilia can ruin lives. If a person like this who defended their actions the way they did approached me for employment and couldn't prove the things listed above, I'm not sure I would hire them.

3. Part of 2 means working anything you can get and working very, very hard to rebuild your life, NOT be given easy backdoors into Hollywood blockbusters by your pals without letting the other cast members know, especially if the one person you're acting with the most in your scenes is an abuse survivor...

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep saying he's served his dues or done his time?

He litteraly hasn't. He's still on the register.
Especially curious since everyone here knows that's not how the American prison system works. It should be about reform and rehabilitation. That should be the goal, yes. But we all know that in reality, it's typically focused way more on pure, raw punishment with not so much going on on the rehabilitation side. So that being the case, the American prison system being what it is, why would I believe that him "doing his time" would be relevant in any way? Knowing what he did, knowing how the American prison system actually works in practice, why in the world would I suddenly believe he'd be a different person when "doing time" does nothing to actually facilitate that in the United States?

Yeah, it would be great if thing were different and that was the focus and that's the type of thing our prisons and jails made it their top priority to see happen, actually making sure people get help and actually turn their life around and not letting them out until they're pretty damn sure that's exactly what's happened under their supervision. But we know that's not the case. So all the people being coy in here and acting like that is how the prison system works in the United States is just kinda weird to me, as if that has any relevance one way or the other and means anything regarding the chance of recidivism.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Some people don't deserve rehabilitation.
Maybe they don't deserve second chances, but rehabilitation really shouldn't have anything to do with whether they deserve it or not. Rehabilitation is a practical matter that's good for all of us. If a criminal is going to be released back into the public, I'd rather that person be rehabilitated rather than just continuing to victimize people. And the fact of the matter is, only a very small number of crimes result in life sentences.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Tough situation. If I was Shane and I wanted to help him out I probably would have given the studio a heads up and explained it all but it likely would have gotten shot down. Studios are terrified.

Lose lose in the end. I think the guy should be able to work. But hard to feel sympathy that he won't be able to be an actor.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Era, without knowing the involved parties or anything about what happened outside surface details:

Fuck this guy and everything he does forever. Also, everyone associated with him are trash forever and also everyone is beyond redemption.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
And who are you to say that some people don't.

Slight tangent talking about this in general....

I think this is almost certainly true. Repeat offenders who have proven they can't/won't be able to change so they're no longer a threat to others.

Rehabilitation in this context is the idea that they can be reintroduced to society, some people will never be able to achieve this.

Not really sure what the solution is, but there are repeat offenders who would repeat again given more chances and they don't deserve rehabilitation in this context from a moral standpoint, imo.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know damn well he's had sex with an underage child before. People are being purposefully obtuse and all of a sudden don't know anything about men and their sex drives... while they rush to the defense of a pedophile. This is the one time he got caught and "he served his tamz!" just doesn't cut it. Sex criminals can go to hell.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm trying to explain is that treating these people would be more helpful and more humane than the unequivocal demonizing this board likes to engage in, however understandable considering the heinous acts these conditions sometimes result in.

Denying them work after they've served their time for instance, what the hell does that achieve?

Wasn't really commenting on your stance of that; just saying it doesn't change the fact that trying to equate homosexuality to it is wrong. The explanation you gave wasn't lost on anyone and was already clear, it still doesn't change what that post was doing. There is a vast gulf of distance between the two. The logic used there is more harmful to the progress homosexuality acceptance has made than it is helpful to whatever your stance on pedophilia is.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they don't deserve second chances, but rehabilitation really shouldn't have anything to do with whether they deserve it or not. Rehabilitation is a practical matter that's good for all of us. If a criminal is going to be released back into the public, I'd rather that person be rehabilitated rather than just continuing to victimize people. And the fact of the matter is, only a very small number of crimes result in life sentences.

He should be locked up forever.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, that article is completely crazy. Those quoted emails are so damning. I can't imagine what Black sees as the other side to this story.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slight tangent talking about this in general....

I think this is almost certainly true. Repeat offenders who have proven they can't/won't be able to change so they're no longer a threat to others.

Rehabilitation in this context is the idea that they can be reintroduced to society, some people will never be able to achieve this.

Not really sure what the solution is, but there are repeat offenders who would repeat again given more chances and they don't deserve rehabilitation in this context.
Most of America rehabilitation is nothing really and rarely fixes the problem at the core. It easy to say rehabilitation won't work but unless the nation actually put in the time , money and effort it will never.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Era, without knowing the involved parties or anything about what happened outside surface details:

Fuck this guy and everything he does forever. Also, everyone associated with him are trash forever and also everyone is beyond redemption.

The fuck are you talking about?

The arguing has been over what this guy specifically did.

There's even a link at the top of the page describing what he did.

Did you actually read the thread before posting? Even this page?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Most of America rehabilitation is nothing really and rarely fixes the problem at the core. It easy to say rehabilitation won't work but unless the nation actually put in the time , money and effort it will never.

I was specifically speaking about repeat offenders who are a danger still, where rehabilitation has failed. These kinds of people do exist.

I was replying to your notion that "deserved" wasn't a word to use here, but I think it is sometimes even if the vast majority of criminals do deserve it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

This is a really shameful take.

Also drop the superior tone with your "era hive mind" comment, YOU are Era too.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for rehabilitation and second chances, but Shane hiding this was not a smart move. Also kinda distressing that Fox was apparently unable (or unwilling?) to do a simple Google search on the guy. Like... is there ANY form of due diligence in Hollywood?

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Below: a guy that needs helpfrom his pal Shane Black

In the years since his release from jail, Striegel said, he has found full-time work as an actor and writer. On his Instagram account, he shares images of what appears to be a glamorous life: on set with Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe, flying on a private plane, and trying out a water jet pack. His criminal past, he said, was something he'd "hoped would continue to fade in the past."

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Black has a habit of helping his down on their luck friends, like RDJ.
But as bad as the stuff he did was, it's not this bad...
Dude

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't really commenting on your stance of that; just saying it doesn't change the fact that trying to equate homosexuality to it is wrong. The explanation you gave wasn't lost on anyone and was already clear, it still doesn't change what that post was doing. There is a vast gulf of distance between the two. The logic used there is more harmful to the progress homosexuality acceptance has made than it is helpful to whatever your stance on pedophilia is.

Then we agree.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

Nope, there are plenty of people in here defending the guy.

I want you to read this and tell me how what you said is not a valid viewpoint:
In emails to The Times, Striegel described her as one of his "distant relatives" who spoke to him at "several family gatherings" about "a multitude of problems she was facing, including being a truant, being pressured to do drugs and alcohol, and that she had started having sex, as well as many other things."

In an attempt to boost her self-esteem, Striegel said he "made the the very bad judgement call of telling her in these emails that she was attractive, and sexy, and not a failure, etc." He said he made it clear the two could not engage in a romantic relationship because of her age and because they were related.

But a March 2009 arrest warrant affidavit — which identifies the 14-year-old only as "Jane Doe" — alleges that physical contact included "kissing, touching Doe's breast over her clothing, rubbing her legs and stroking her neck" on several occasions.

In one email message, Striegel told the girl that there was no one in the world he would rather have sex with. "I will be VERY honest: There's no question that it's you. None. Hope that doesn't totally freak you out, and just because it's what I want, and what you want, doesn't mean it's the right thing."

In other correspondence, he described his sexual preferences in graphic detail, including his favorite intercourse position and intimate grooming practices.

"EVERY thing you say turns me on!!" he wrote to Doe. "I love that it rocked you when I pulled your hair that time."