• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ck-steven-wilder-striegel-20180906-story.html

Twentieth Century Fox was just days away from locking picture on "The Predator" when an urgent note came in: Delete the scene featuring Steven Wilder Striegel.

Striegel, 47, didn't have a big role in his longtime friend Shane Black's reboot of the sci-fi thriller — just a three-page scene shared with actress Olivia Munn.

But last month, Munn learned that Striegel is a registered sex offender who pleaded guilty in 2010 after facing allegations that he attempted to lure a 14-year-old female into a sexual relationship via the internet. When Munn shared the information with Fox on Aug. 15, studio executives quickly decided to excise him from the movie.

"Our studio was not aware of Mr. Striegel's background when he was hired," a Fox spokesperson said in a statement to The Times. "We were not aware of his background during the casting process due to legal limitations that impede studios from running background checks on actors."

Black, however, has always known.

Black defended his decision to cast Striegel in a small part in "The Predator" as a jogger who repeatedly hits on Munn's character.

"I personally chose to help a friend," Black said in a written statement to The Times. "I can understand others might disapprove, as his conviction was on a sensitive charge and not to be taken lightly."

But he said he has long believed that Striegel was "caught up in a bad situation versus something lecherous."

Munn said she found it "both surprising and unsettling that Shane Black, our director, did not share this information to the cast, crew, or Fox Studios prior to, during, or after production."

"However," she continued, "I am relieved that when Fox finally did receive the information, the studio took appropriate action by deleting the scene featuring Wilder prior to release of the film."

so the director (Shane Black) hired his convicted pedophile friend to do a minor role, and proceeded not to tell anyone involved in the movie about his past

what a fucking dumbass

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
What the fuck, Black.
I guess it's not that surprising considering some of the questionable shit he's said in interviews but still.

Good on Olivia Munn for not letting that slide though.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Black had better be blacklisted from Hollywood after this. He probably won't be though.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good on Munn. All the trash gamers that hate her will now defend this.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
What stopped the studio from finding out? This is why they do background checks.
Right there in the OP.

"Our studio was not aware of Mr. Striegel's background when he was hired," a Fox spokesperson said in a statement to The Times. "We were not aware of his background during the casting process due to legal limitations that impede studios from running background checks on actors."

Which seems insane to me, but there it is.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I initially misunderstood the meaning of the term "minor role" in relation to the fact the guy is a pedophile.

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
He was convicted and paid for his crime. I don't see the connection to acting in an action movie with other adults.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I understand the want and need to employ reformed criminals. But you have to do it on the up and up.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_otv0imosVL1wstc5to1_400.gif

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Very curious about the legal situation that prevented studios from doing this kind of background check.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It will be incredible if Black isn't done working with Fox/Disneyfox especially in light of the Gunn situation. Also fuck this guy for trying to hide that

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
We can't employ people who have committed crimes in the past and have paid their debts to society?

I can understand not employing a convicted sex offender concerning a minor as a teacher, or any job dealing with kids/teens....but nothing?

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I didn't really have much respect for Olivia Munn - I have no real reason to have any, not that I dislike her - but this definitely casts her in a new light. Really well done.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
He was convicted and paid for his crime. I don't see the connection to acting in an action movie with other adults.

It's the new reality. No matter how much time you've served, no matter how you've changed, once you're affixed with the scarlet letter, you might as well shoot yourself because you will never be allowed to live in the world again.

IMO, there shouldn't be a sex offender list, it shouldn't have been any of the business of the studio or anyone. He served his time? Is free to go without restriction? Then WTF is the problem? If he's going to not be allowed to have a job again then why let him out in the first place?

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
It was 8 years ago and maybe he'd have done something if he got what he was fishing for but he was caught before it got to that point. Dudes got to work and if he's not working around children then what's the problem?

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Oof. The lack of transparency is a baaaaad look. Gonna be raked over the coals for that one Shane.

Edit: Someone should make a thread asking whether folks agree with allowing pedophiles back into the workforce.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell? Background checks should legally be allowed for any job, especially a profession as filled with sick assholes as acting.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
It was 8 years ago and maybe he'd have done something if he got what he was fishing for but he was caught before it got to that point. Dudes got to work and if he's not working around children then what's the problem?
how would you feel if you found out your coworker was actually a convicted sex offender who tried to solicit sex from a child? and no one told you?