• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh hey, there goes my plans to see it. Fuck you Shane Black. I was willing to give this a chance because, fuck it, something to see but now...no.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reading this whole mess and then thinking about the title of the movie

Oh that's why they call it that (Peter Griffin voice)

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
The problem is that he (meaning Black) didn't inform anyone.

Do you not understand why he didn't inform people? Because if he did, his friend would have been prevented from being in the film. You know, like exactly what transpired when people found out.

It was 8 years ago and he already admitted his crime and was punished for it. I don't understand everyone's reaction here.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Do you not understand why he didn't inform people? Because if he did, his friend would have been prevented from being in the film. You know, like exactly what transpired when people found out.

It was 8 years ago and he already admitted his crime and was punished for it. I don't understand everyone's reaction here.

This is absurd because he's not owed a place in a movie as part of his rehabilitation nor is anyone else obligated to help him out. If Black wants to help out a friend, that's on him and him alone.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Dunno why he didn't just inform the studio. If they reject him you can just say to the guy, 'Hey I tried bruh'.

Yeah if you've got a sketchy past, as cliche as it sounds, honesty is the best policy.

COVER YOUR ASS.

Sure, you can skirt by and get a job or something without telling someone. But if/when it comes to light, more often than not you'll be let go.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
So Black is saying he was 'uninformed' about exactly what his friend did? Yeah....

In any case, even if you want to discard the morality of it or the debate on forgiveness, trying to sneak your child sex offender friend on screen in a scene with a female co star in your big budget franchise IP movie worth millions to a big studio is pretty damn stupid.

oh, and your movie is called The Predator.

Just colossally dumb.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
This is absurd because he's not owed a place in a movie as part of his rehabilitation nor is anyone else obligated to help him out. If Black wants to help out a friend, that's on him and him alone.

Do you understand how punishment should work as a principle? You do something wrong, you get caught, you admit your guilt, you serve time, you prove on the outside you're a changed person. He presumably did all of those things, for EIGHT YEARS! That should be the end of the punishment. Unfortunately most feel they should be punished forever. Oh, you want to do something, well, were you previously a sex offender? Okay well you can't.

Ex cons shouldn't be prohibited from having opportunities, but in our society they're blacklisted from life.

I agree with your point that no one is owed a place in a movie. That's not what this was. It was a friend trying to help out a friend, a friend who likely hasn't been given any help from society in general in a long time. Giving him a small bit in a dumb movie is a nice gesture.

If you're not okay with this guy working a glorified extra role in a movie, you need to ask yourself, what is this human being worth enough to do?

Last edited:

CastorKrieg

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Ex cons shouldn't be prohibited from having opportunities, but in our society they're blacklisted from life.

This mostly depends on the crime. There is a reason the worst people in prison will assault and give hell to child molesters and pedophiles. You are equating all the crimes as long as the sentence has been served all is fine. I disagree - pedophiles, child abusers, wife-beaters, rapists should be blacklisted for life.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
This mostly depends on the crime. There is a reason the worst people in prison will assault and give hell to child molesters and pedophiles. You are equating all the crimes as long as the sentence has been served all is fine. I disagree - pedophiles, child abusers, wife-beaters, rapists should be blacklisted for life.

I agree some crimes are worse than others. But do you believe some pedophiles, wife beaters, rapists, child abusers, murderers are worse than others as well? Is what Kevin Stacey did the same amount of evil in your mind as what Louis C.K. did? Or say a person that murdered 1 person versus a serial killer?

Based on the OP this guy "attempted to lure a 14-year-old female into a sexual relationship via the internet." The word attempted to me would indicate nothing physical actually happened. I'm not disputing that's awful, but is it really something he should never be able to come back from? Is what he did on par with the worst forms of pedophilia?

I'm honestly having a hard time myself with these sorts of questions. I just don't want to immediately throw a human aside like trash especially when they've been rightfully punished for their actions and may be a better person today.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
I agree some crimes are worse than others. But do you believe some pedophiles, wife beaters, rapists, child abusers, murderers are worse than others as well? Is what Kevin Stacey did the same amount of evil in your mind as what Louis C.K. did? Or say a person that murdered 1 person versus a serial killer?

Based on the OP this guy "attempted to lure a 14-year-old female into a sexual relationship via the internet." The word attempted to me would indicate nothing physical actually happened. I'm not disputing that's awful, but is it really something he should never be able to come back from? Is what he did on par with the worst forms of pedophilia?

I'm honestly having a hard time myself with these sorts of questions. I just don't want to immediately throw a human aside like trash especially when they've been rightfully punished for their actions and may be a better person today.

Except that according to the court documents, something did physically happen. They apparently didn't go far enough for it to be labeled a more serious offense, but they did interact physically.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
I just don't get it, why do we have to care so much about shit like this.

Is this guy banned from life or something? You would like him to work as a cashier but not as an actor?

Reading some comments seems like the director is using Nazi gold to produce the film or something.

I don't hate on Munn, ok, she wasn't comfortable and she told the producers, I don't even hate on Fox, it's their fucking movie, they can do whatever they want, but why should we hate Black or his friend?

What would you guys do with this dude? Grab a gun and shoot him it's the only real answer I can imagine reading some comments.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
so the director (Shane Black) hired his convicted pedophile friend to do a minor role, and proceeded not to tell anyone involved in the movie about his past

what a fucking dumbass

Man those words, fits so well lol

Anywho I agree with Olivia Munn where she said that the choice was made for her and she didn't get a say in the matter in regards to the scene.
Shane Black just sucks. This is not the friend you help out. Especially in a movie called The Predator, good lord.

Nov 2, 2017

Is this guy banned from life or something? You would like him to work as a cashier but not as an actor?

Reading some comments seems like the director is using Nazi gold to produce the film or something.

I don't hate on Munn, ok, she wasn't comfortable and she told the producers, I don't even hate on Fox, it's their fucking movie, they can do whatever they want, but why should we hate Black or his friend?

What would you guys do with this dude? Grab a gun and shoot him it's the only real answer I can imagine reading some comments.

He tried to lure a 14 year old for sex. Society would be better without his type.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
but why should we hate Black or his friend?

Cause Black was hiding the fact that his friend, who he cast as a harasser with scenes with someone who has been been sexually harassed, was a pedophile, in a movie that also features an 11 year old.

Why should we hate the pedophile? Well gee I wonder.

You do realise there are other jobs out there. He's not entitled to this one.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Why are we concerned about a child predator? This is your argument?

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

If we're going to blacklist from society it would be more humane to just make the punishment death.

It is better than forcing people to commit suicide or starve.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Been catching up on the thread, yup everything including pedos has a defence force. Smh
It's not so much that pedos have a defense force as examining society's view on crime and punishment. I just had this conversation with a buddy the other day, and I have a four year old daughter. People need to be honest about law and criminals and how we treat them and whether or not we want incarceration to be punitive or rehabilitative. Everything and everyone these days seems to operate in absolutes, and it's frustrating. Is there nuance to the severity of how predators should be classified and punished? Should we stop fucking around with the illusion of civility and law and just say, "Yeah, you commit this crime and get this brand - there is no difference. there is no sentence other than life sentencing. They should be killed. Period."

Because at the end of day, that's what people are really saying. They need to live only under overpasses. Fuck off on jobs. Down the line, they deserve death no matter if they were in jail for 10 days or 10 years.

Do I want a pedo near my child? Absolutely not. That's why you remove their ability to ever be around children. But at one point are we sending them to jail only to come out and be in jail for life, or just changing it all to reflect how most people really feel: kill them.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Do you understand how punishment should work as a principle? You do something wrong, you get caught, you admit your guilt, you serve time, you prove on the outside you're a changed person. He presumably did all of those things, for EIGHT YEARS! That should be the end of the punishment. Unfortunately most feel they should be punished forever. Oh, you want to do something, well, were you previously a sex offender? Okay well you can't.

I agree with your point that no one is owed a place in a movie. That's not what this was. It was a friend trying to help out a friend, a friend who likely hasn't been given any help from society in general in a long time. Giving him a small bit in a dumb movie is a nice gesture.

If you're not okay with this guy working a glorified extra role in a movie, you need to ask yourself, what is this human being worth enough to do?

Two things:

This isn't someone getting tossed in prison for holding a bag of weed or pissing in a public park while drunk, the guy deliberately groomed and sexually assaulted a 14 year old.
He also isn't applying for a job to reintegrated back into society, he's getting a (small) role in a movie, something that most people will never have the opportunity to do.

Personally I don't think child molesters should get that opportunity or be in the entertainment industry at all. There are plenty of other jobs that aren't considered prizes for the average person. It's a black mark on his person but so is mentally and emotionally scarring a child.

And that's not even getting into the problem of trying to hide this from everyone else, especially Olivia Munn.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
If we're going to blacklist from society it would be more humane to just make the punishment death.

It is better than forcing people to commit suicide or starve.

Doesn't sound like the guy is too preoccupied with suicide (given his reaction and demeanor to his crimes), nor is in a place where he doesn't have friends who help him out and thus not starving.

You seem oddly more concerned with him than someone who will potentially have to live with the trauma and abuse inflicted on their adolescent self.

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017
Black not telling anyone is mad fucked up. That's about the first thing I feel like anyone in their right mind would do.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
It's not so much that pedos have a defense force as examining society's view on crime and punishment. I just had this conversation with a buddy the other day, and I have a four year old daughter. People need to be honest about law and criminals and how we treat them and whether or not we want incarceration to be punitive or rehabilitative. Everything and everyone these days seems to operate in absolutes, and it's frustrating. Is there nuance to the severity of how predators should be classified and punished? Should we stop fucking around with the illusion of civility and law and just say, "Yeah, you commit this crime and get this brand - there is no difference. there is no sentence other than life sentencing. They should be killed. Period."

Because at the end of day, that's what people are really saying. They need to live only under overpasses. Fuck off on jobs. Down the line, they deserve death no matter if they were in jail for 10 days or 10 years.

Do I want a pedo near my child? Absolutely not. That's why you remove their ability to ever be around children. But at one point are we sending them to jail only to come out and be in jail for life, or just changing it all to reflect how most people really feel: kill them.

No I wouldn't want them killed. I'd rather them live with their guilt and be shunned. I don't care if they serves some sentence and came out, the fact they did this in the first place is enough to make me feel they deserve no second chance and the fact they hid this from the cast is messed up.
Fox made the right choice I wouldn't want to be in the same building as a pedo let alone act in a scene with sexual connotations.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
One of the worst aspect of this is how Black and the rest of the cast have seemingly left Munn out in the cold. Black in particular seems to be actually angry at her. I don't know about recent activity but I watched an interview with her where she said that he hasn't even spoken to her since this all went down and just made the Twitter apology.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Two things:

This isn't someone getting tossed in prison for holding a bag of weed or pissing in a public park while drunk, the guy deliberately groomed and sexually assaulted a 14 year old.
He also isn't applying for a job to reintegrated back into society, he's getting a (small) role in a movie, something that most people will never have the opportunity to do.

Personally I don't think child molesters should get that opportunity or be in the entertainment industry at all. There are plenty of other jobs that aren't considered prizes for the average person. It's a black mark on his person but so is mentally and emotionally scarring a child.

And that's not even getting into the problem of trying to hide this from everyone else, especially Olivia Munn.

Pissing in public can get you on the registered sex offender list in many places. And do you have any links showing that he actually assaulted the 14 year old? I've only found stuff talking about attempts to lure them into a relationship, not actually following through with it.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Pissing in public can get you on the registered sex offender list in many places. And do you have any links showing that he actually assaulted the 14 year old? I've only found stuff talking about attempts to lure them into a relationship, not actually following through with it.

I mean... Whether you actually have sexual relations with a child, or you merely intended to and groomed them online - you're still a paedophile. One act is worse than the other and would be punisher further, but even luring children online is worthy of the register.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Pretty sure it literally says he molested her in the OP. If not I'm pretty sure it's on the first page somewhere.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I mean... Whether you actually have sexual relations with a child, or you merely intended to and groomed them online - you're still a paedophile. One act is worse than the other and would be punisher further, but even luring children online is worthy of the register.

I'm well aware that it's enough to get you on the list, that's not what I was asking.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

From earlier in the thread

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ck-steven-wilder-striegel-20180906-story.html

People fucking defending this asshole need to understand, this is a person who knew right from wrong and did it anyways. This is a person that groomed and molested a child who was also a family member, imagine the sort of person that could betray someone's trust like that to those ends.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can you show me where in the OP it says he literally molested a minor? Cause I can't find it.

I'm fine if folks want to hold sex offenders to a different standard, but please just own it instead of making shit up to justify it.
It's in the article posted in the op
But a March 2009 arrest warrant affidavit — which identifies the 14-year-old only as "Jane Doe" — alleges that physical contact included "kissing, touching Doe's breast over her clothing, rubbing her legs and stroking her neck" on several occasions.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Conspiracy theories and inflammatory generalisations.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Black is a pedophile to.

You just don't stay friends with someone knowing they want to have sex with children.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
One of the worst aspect of this is how Black and the rest of the cast have seemingly left Munn out in the cold. Black in particular seems to be actually angry at her. I don't know about recent activity but I watched an interview with her where she said that he hasn't even spoken to her since this all went down and just made the Twitter apology.
Part of me wants to sympathize with Black because it's admirable to want to help a friend who has paid with 'time served' for doing something deplorable when the world has passed judgment.

On the other hand, as LukeOP reasoned: why is he even still friends with this dude? This wasn't some 18 year old with a 16 year old, or a botched "To catch a predator". This guy actually fondled and kissed all over a kid on some R. Kelly/Polanski level deplorable behavior.

So yeah..he did his time, and I hope that he gets some kind of work and becomes a contributing member of society again. However in the real world with man-code full on, we just can't be buddies anymore. I'm not going to stick my neck out for you to find you work....

Which goes back to my original point: is ANY AMOUNT of jail time enough to satisfy the public? Is allowing them freedom after penance just a cruel extended sentence when no one will hire them anyway? What's the solution and how do you determine the severity of the crime and the punishment? These people are sick and were likely molested too. Should that be factored in? Does the legal repercussion to the crime need to change?

These are tough questions and deserve a lot more than our knee jerk revulsion to crimes against children.

Last edited:

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This person didn't piss in public. Man can we not create hypotheticals that don't exist in this case?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Which goes back to my original point: is ANY AMOUNT of jail time enough to satisfy the public? Is allowing them freedom after penance just a cruel extended sentence when no one will hire them anyway? What's the solution and how do you determine the severity of the crime and the punishment? These people are sick and were likely molested too. Should that be factored in? Does the legal repercussion to the crime need to change?

I'm really hard line when it comes to pedos. I don't really care about their well being at all tbh. I'm sorry if past experiences made them pedos it means nothing to me. Abusing a child ruins multiple lives forever it's despicable beyond anything else. There is a reason even in prison pedos are beyond the pale. I'm not sure how one is to be handled legally(I am very harsh in this regard) but at the very least I want to be told when they are near me and I sure as hell want to be told if they are working with me.

Revulsion at a pedo is not a kneejerk reaction because no amount of context can ever explain it away or soften it's impact.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
And it wasn't just once, for the record. Black successfully gave him roles in Iron Man 3 and The Nice Guys before this, and attempted to produce another, sweeping it under the rug each time like nobody else deserved to know they were working alongside a convicted pedophile
I mean, I get it. In a town without ethics (because Hollywood IS a cesspool), having a code and sticking by someone is an act of Herculean fortitde. That said, one has to question such devotion to this particular trial.

Hiding parts of your past seems like a necessity in the current climate, but why THIS hill to die on? Why THIS fight to pick? Strange choice opens up questions that I'm sure he'd rather not answer...

I'm really hard line when it comes to pedos. I don't really care about their well being at all tbh. I'm sorry if past experiences made them pedos it means nothing to me. Abusing a child ruins multiple lives forever it's despicable beyond anything else. There is a reason even in prison pedos are beyond the pale. I'm not sure how one is to be handled legally(I am very harsh in this regard) but at the very least I want to be told when they are near me and I sure as hell want to be told if they are working with me.

Revulsion at a pedo is not a kneejerk reaction because no amount of context can ever explain it away or soften it's impact.

By knee jerk reaction, I mean it very literally. We're biologically wired to protect children at all costs. Even criminals have this hard wiring, which is why they react (in their way) to people that hurt children. It's quite literally an involuntary reaction. I'm definitely not trying to minimize its importance. Im just saying that as a society, we need to figure out how to really deal with this sickness if the current system isn't working for most people.

I'm a very peaceful man, but my wife and I say all the time that should anything happen to my kid, I'm fully prepared to go to prison to pay for my inevitable retribution spree. My wrath would be BIBLICAL.

That's how hard-wired most people are.

Last edited:

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

Right on.