• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

tumblr_mj2ww10eY01r7oaheo1_500.gif

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Remember all those regional promotions they were rumoured to be starting up?

Watch those roster fill out with every single indie wrestler under the sun. Total talent denial to the competition.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only time that I watched WWE consistently was over the lead up to Summerslam 2001. Little me thought everything was real and the Rock standing up for the WWE against Shane and Steph's take over attempt was exhilarating. A few years ago I found out that the storylines aren't like that anymore.

To be honest they can do quite a lot even without PG-14, it just needs their creative team to not suck ass

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
Remember all those regional promotions they were rumoured to be starting up?

Watch those roster fill out with every single indie wrestler under the sun. Total talent denial to the competition.

Wrestlers still have to agree to sign. I think you are being a tad too pessimistic. If anything, the last month has shown that there is a ton of money to be made on wrestling outside WWE. WWE has been buying up talent for the last three years and I think there is a good argument that the non-WWE wrestling is the best it has been in 20 years.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I just realized that Fox killed a lot of their original series recently since now they don't have 2 hours to fill on primetime every week starting Oct 2019

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wrestlers still have to agree to sign. I think you are being a tad too pessimistic. If anything, the last month has shown that there is a ton of money to be made on wrestling outside WWE. WWE has been buying up talent for the last three years and I think there is a good argument that the non-WWE wrestling is the best it has been in 20 years.

WWE could absolutely offer everyone on the All-In card money that would be insanely stupid to turn down.

Every last one of them.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Colin Cowherd, who I'm sure hates wrestling, was acting excited for Smackdown. For one billion they should just start new and drop the Smackdown name.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

WWE's also a publicly-traded company, so just signing a bunch of people out of spite because you can won't be looked on favorably.

It's also good for business for wrestlers to be able to work outside WWE, make money, build up name value, and gain experience so that everyone isn't trained from the ground up by WWE.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember vividly having a discussion in wrassle gaf were multiple posters were insisting USA was going to drop WWE because "ratings are down". Never mind that RAW and Smackdown were the top rated shows on the network by a massive factor, they were going to be dropped. Ratings are down!

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And to think Raw will be getting even more. Looking forward to the next great Reigns promo, which will also only consist of 5 words.

"2 billion dollars. Ooooaaaahhhh motherfuckers."

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, stunned.

- Bring back pyro.
- Less house shows/more time off for everyone.
- Top wrestlers get PAID w/out the need of merch.
- Don't need to pimp out free network trials. Make NXT the backbone with PPV's. Can easily raise the price to $15. Even a measly 2mil subscribers would make them bank.
- LOL @ everyone who saw WWE dead within the next couple of years.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Colin Cowherd, who I'm sure hates wrestling, was acting excited for Smackdown. For one billion they should just start new and drop the Smackdown name.
I go back and forth on if they should change the name. It's been established for almost 2 decades at this point, but it is a really stupid/juvenille name that probably deserves to be left in the past

Wow, stunned.

- Don't need to pimp out free network trials. Make NXT the backbone with PPV's. Can easily raise the price to $15. Even a measly 2mil subscribers would make them bank.
- LOL @ everyone who saw WWE dead within the next couple of years.
They would do backflips if they had a "measly" 2 million network subscriptions

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Will Smackdown continue to go to Hulu is my biggest question since that's how i watch RAW/Smackdown.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
If that's what you get for a billion dollars over five years, I'm suddenly much more concerned about the quality of Amazon's upcoming Lord of the Rings series.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
This is really weird.

USA airing RAW, tripled their deal to keep it

Fox airing Smackdown, made a ridiculous offer to grab it
It's so weird, as a fan of the product I really don't get it. Smackdown is no where near worth that much for any amount of years the way they use their time on the show. Soooo much filler and undercard matches that go no where.

Oct 25, 2017

Wrestlers who have signed in the last 18 months, but fans swear must be miserable, have stated they're more than happening collecting the paycheck they are

Will Smackdown continue to go to Hulu is my biggest question since that's how i watch RAW/Smackdown.

Hulu carries Fox shows, so very likely yes

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From a creative Viewpoint this absolutely sucks. The WWE has been terrible for the last several years and the only hope from fans was that the shity TV ratings would hopefully force them to change their ways, but now that they got all that TV money prepare for five more years of shity programming.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So here's how this is gonna go.

Da Big Dawg is gonna beat Brock soon. He's gonna headline WM35 after that. And then he will be traded to Smackdown next year because they're going to want to start things off in late 2019 with a bang on Fox. That way peeps can pretend the show actually means something, and you can't do that with the second rate stars that are on the show currently.

Finally, after he takes the WWE title in the main event of WM36, he'll go back to Raw with it sometime in 2020.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Fox is going to drop a billion dollars on a property just to rename it

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, but now WWE can offer the type of money that guys just physically cannot turn down, and it'd be a drop in the bucket for them.

Deleted member 9145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even as a kid when I watched wrestling with my dad

we only watched RAW

smackdown was some weak shit I never even gave a chance

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
Vince must be one hell of a negotiator im excited to see how the first smackdown on fox goes i bet wwe goes all out and puts on a great show and then we go back to normal.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but now WWE can offer the type of money that guys just physically cannot turn down, and it'd be a drop in the bucket for them.

I guess I just don't see how this changes their equation at all. Like is Kenny Omega worth a million dollars? Maybe if NJPW starts gaining a foothold in the US (which would require a much better television deal than it has now), but I don't think WWE really views the NJPW as competition.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
Fox is drunk with that Disney money. There's got to be more to that $1 billion besides Smackdown. Maybe it's "buy our wrestling show for 5 years and get the 5 years of XFL for free" deal.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
For all the noise people make about their rating swings, WWE offers 2 multi-hour shows with virtually no network overhead, 52 weeks out of the year. Their TV deal has always been under-valued.
And a guaranteed consistent ratings basement with potential to go through the roof. Consistent advertising for a show you know will have viewers is solid for Fox

Hopefully Smackdown stays live and doesnt get shoved to fs1.

I wish the nba and nhl would go back to broadcast tv. Theyre the only reason i need cable/a streaming service now